Start by marking “Wrath of the White Tigress” as Want to Read:
Wrath of the White Tigress

Wrath of the White Tigress (Tales of Pawan Kor)

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  84 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
He thought he was a hero.
She showed him the truth.
Now he'll do anything to stop the man who made him a monster.

For twenty years Jaska Bavadi has faithfully served the Palymfar Order and its Grandmaster, the powerful wizard Salahn, but an encounter with Zyrella Anthari, last high priestess of the White Tigress, shatters the spell that chained Jaska’s mind.

Now faced with
ebook
Published by Typing Cat Press (first published September 28th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Wrath of the White Tigress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wrath of the White Tigress

Sammy Smith
Sep 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You'll see from my other reviews that I keep these short and sweet and only review books that capture me in one way or another.

This my friends, is a diamond in the rough ... I've had this on my "to download and read" pile for the last month and today I took the plunge, at just over £2 it's less than a takeaway coffee - BARGAIN!

I've not been able to put it down. Each time I did I picked it back up "just to read another chapter" ... When the battery on my ipad hit 10% I became distressed at havi
Kenny Soward
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm new to David's stuff, but I thought Tigress was a strong effort. I particularly liked the exotic landscapes, and the exotic ladies. There is nothing mind-blowing here, but a solid story about an assassin who seeks to redeem himself after committing foul crimes while under the spell of an evil sorcerer. Where David makes a good "stretch" effort is with his rules of magic. The source of one's power is set into a personal stone, or quavra, as he calls it. Spell casting seems to be a fluid act t ...more
Pepper Thorn
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sword & Sorcery fans
Wrath of the White Tigress is fun and fast paced adventure with a dark side. But my favorite thing about it is the little tidbits of world that are just plain cool. They make you smile suddenly and reread the passage to savor the image they conjure. Its the thing I love the most from old school sword & sorcery or sword & planet stories and Wrath of the White Tigress strikes the same chords.
Mihir
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Review originally over at Fantasy Book Critic

Wrath of the White Tigress is another high fantasy book which seemed very interesting due to its blurb which promised action, heroes and wild thrill ride. This book was also a review copy requested from the author. The book has a rather stark but eye-catching cover and while the colour scheme is one which is rarely seen, it works nicely with the way its presented. The story has the main character Jaska Bavdi who is presented as an antagonist of sort
Jared Millet
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All my “out of my comfort zone” reading this year has put me in the mood for a straight-up, quest-driven, heroic epic fantasy, which it feels like I haven't read in forever. And here's Wrath of the White Tigress to fit the bill. It has an interesting setting (somewhat but not strictly Middle-Eastern / Persian / Indian in flavor), conflicted protagonists (guilt-driven heroes are so much more interesting than those going for simple revenge), a tight, self-contained plot (wonder of wonders!), and a ...more
Allizabeth Collins
Description:

Jaska Bavadi served Grandmaster Salahn of the Palymfar Order for twenty years, carrying out every order, including assassinations, without question; his loyalty unwavering. Until he encountered the last high priestess of the White Tigress, Zyrella Anthari, who broke the charm that controlled his mind, as well as his actions. As the dark tasks he committed come to light, Jaska must find a way to end Salahn's rule and protect the people of Hareez before Pawan Kor is merged with the Un
Phil
Apr 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Billed as a modern sword & sorcery tale in the tradition of Moorcock and Gemmel, this book starts with a compelling premise: an assassin tasked with killing a high priestess manages to shake off decades of mystical brainwashing. Working with Zyrella, the high priestess, he turns against the evil emperor Salahn and attempts to destroy the regime he once helped build.

I enjoyed the book, but it had a few issues. The beginning and conclusion were quite strong, but the middle part seemed to lose
Beth
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Beth by: David Alastair Hayden
Zyrella Anthari is a priestest for the white tigress goddess. The white tigress has been imprisoned by Grandmaster Salahn of the Palymfar Order and Zyrella is attempting free her goddess. Grandmaster Salahn sends he’s ultimate assassin, Jaska Bavadi, to kill Zyrella, thereby giving Salahn all the tigress’s power. Zyerella, with the help of the white tigress frees Jaska from a magical charm Salahn has placed on him. The charm kept Jaska under Salahn’s mind control. Now that the charm is broken Ja ...more
Will Cockrell
Jun 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked Wrath of the White Tigress. It's well-written, with effective and believable characters in both camps; the good guys have practical considerations and are not just blindly devoted to a cause, and the bad guy is psychotically evil, but at the same time is pursuing his ends for what (to him, at least) are perfectly logical reasons. One of my favorite things about the book is how in their travels, the heroes fully interact with the people they meet and the world around them. Instead ...more
Andrew Rose
May 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good man fooled

When Jaska is fooled into serving an evil power he must be shown the wrong of his actions and convinced to redress the imbalance. A more mature book than his YA series, this blend of Asian mythology and heroic struggle culminates to create a redemption story of epic proportions. Enjoyed it and look forward to more.
Jeff
Nov 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
A fun, fast-paced adventure story that will keep you reading chapter after chapter. Mr. Hayden has created a believable world with interesting characters in it. Much like the old sword and sorcery stories I enjoy, I hope there will more adventures in Pawan Kor to come!
Silly
Oct 01, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I won this book from First Reads. Looks like a good book. Thank you.
Dawn Vallack
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I could not put this book down.
Jenny
I loved this book. It was a well detailed, well developed character quest driven story. I recommend it for any fantasy readers. I will definitely read it again and again.
Lindsay Stares
Feb 27, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Free copy received from BookRooster.com for review

Premise: Zyrella is the last priestess of the White Tigress. The sorcerer Salahn has conquered the nation with his elite corps of warriors and is absorbing and destroying minor deities in his quest for immortality. Zyrella is trying to protect her goddess, but the Tigress herself is more concerned with a warrior named Jaska. He is the worst of the sorcerer's men, but could he be the Tigress's salvation?

A few unavoidable minor spoilers follow. Rea
Seyram Butame
I was fortunate to gain access to this book during a kindle promotion. I purchased it and forgot about it until about a week ago when I started reading it and I was pleasantly surprised.
I have not read anything from the science-fiction/fantasy genre for a long time, having favored non-fiction books of late.
Anyway, I don't think Mr Hayden's book will be winning any of the prestigious science fiction honors, awarded to this genre anytime soon. However, his book is short, direct and enjoyable. Th
Ann
Aug 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, history, assassin
This was a tricky book to rate.
First, there's the story itself - which is a straight 5 stars in my books: complex, interconnected, not always predictable. There are a couple of common tropes, but not so many as that they would hurt the story experience.
The characterization would be... 3-4 stars, I think. Not too easy, not too comfortable, not too stereotypical (mostly).
Sadly, it's the story telling itself that makes it difficult to truly judge the quality of the characterization. Normally, I l
Jeff Cadoff
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Received ebook edition through Goodreads giveaway. The best 'bad guy' I have read about in too long! Wow, that man is mean. Sweet that he is unrelentingly evil. Too many folks develop a 'bad guy with a heart.' Sadly, there are selfish, nasty people in the world, and Hayden gives us one. I love it!!! I'm writing a review, and the good guy is extraneous! All the characters are well developed, but doggone I like that bad guy! Read it and enjoy!
Kristjan
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kristjan by: Podiobooks
Flat delivery detracted from the story which was also somewhat limited in character development and narrative style (a lot of places where the narrator provides detailed background information aka info dumps). It had the feel of a novice effort.
Rebecca Hutcheson
Mar 06, 2016
G
Aug 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Black God's War (Splendor and Ruin, #0.5)
  • The Coming Storm (The Coming Storm, #1)
  • Rebellion (Chronicles of Charanthe, #1)
  • The Lament of the Stone (Stonewiser, #3)
  • The Queen's Betrayal (Bloodtruth #2)
  • Demonsouled (Demonsouled, #1)
  • The Savage Principle (#3)
  • Toby Streams the Universe
  • Shaman, Friend, Enemy (Olivia Lawson, Techno-Shaman, #2)
  • Dreoteth
  • The Ouroboros Cycle, Book Two: A Cautionary Tale for Young Vampires
  • A Kingdom's Cost (The Douglas Trilogy, #1)
  • Druid's Bane (The Arkaelyon Chronicles, #1)
  • Prince of Bryanae
  • Princess Rose and the Crystal Castle
  • Cobweb Empire (Cobweb Bride Trilogy, #2)
  • Immortal Becoming (The Enlightened Species, #1)
  • The Thorn (The Chronicles of Gan, #1)
David Alastair Hayden scribbles and podcasts tales of fantasy adventure for young and adult readers. He lives in Alabama, along with his delightful wife and three lovely cats.

David studied history, literature, and religion at the University of Alabama. He practices Yang Taijiquan, and he enjoys playing and designing roleplaying games.

David is also an avid collector of vintage manual typewriters,
More about David Alastair Hayden...

Tales of Pawan Kor (3 books)
  • Chains of a Dark Goddess