Start by marking “Attempting Elizabeth” as Want to Read:
Attempting Elizabeth

Attempting Elizabeth

3.48  ·  Rating details ·  587 Ratings  ·  111 Reviews
Kelsey Edmundson is a geek and proud of it. She makes no secret of her love for TV, movies, and, most especially, books. After a bad breakup, she retreats into her favorite novel, Pride and Prejudice, wishing she had some of the wit and spirit of Elizabeth Bennett.

One night at a party Kelsey meets handsome Australian bartender Mark Barnes. From then on, she always seems to
Published January 24th 2013 by Tall House Books (first published January 20th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Attempting Elizabeth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Attempting Elizabeth

Anna
May 07, 2017 added it
Shelves: austenesque
Review originally posted on Diary of an Eccentric

Jessica Grey’s Attempting Elizabeth follows Kelsey, a 23-year-old student in California who is a bit obsessed with Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice. She’s convinced that no guy in her life could ever measure up to Mr. Darcy, and reeling from a breakup with a Wickham-type, Kelsey doesn’t quite seem to know who she is and what she wants. She has her own mortifying Pride and Prejudice-like moment at a party, in which she insults Mark, the hot Austra
Winter Elegy
Well, the cutesy cover and the synopsis were totally misleading. This book took "Pride and Prejudice", incinerated it, ate the ashes and then threw up the remains on a dirty, disgusting plate.
Angela
Refreshing and entertaining, Jessica Grey's Attempting Elizabeth is more than just a clever retelling of a beloved classic, it's a story of self-discovery and letting go. Oh, and a hot Aussie who will steal your heart. How can you go wrong?
Berls (Fantasy is More Fun)
I received this book for free from Xpresso Book Tours in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

My Initial Reaction...

As one of the biggest Pride and Prejudice (P&P) fans out there (I've read the book 17 times in as many years!), Attempting Elizabeth  was a book I had to read. I was nervous though, since Jessica Grey was going to be taking a lot of license with a story and characters I've grown to love. Not only was she creati
Calatasde
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Hello Guys! First I want to be honest with you. I never read Pride&Prejudice in my 20 years life. And I don't when I'm going to read. However I was heard all characters in the book. I can't say I like those things also I can't say I don't like.
Therefore I love the story.I love Kelsey.She's such a smart person.Somehow she manage the time travel to novels. Everyone wants that right? When I was reading I little bit jealous her.

I wasn't sure what to expec
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
Kelsey Edmundson is an obsessed, geeky, Jane Austen fan-girl. After a bad breakup or a disappointing day she doesn't watch romantic comedies with a pint of ice cream, she turns to her beloved Pride and Prejudice to mend her broken heart and soothe her sorrows. After a particularly disastrous night of trying to get over her perfectly horrid ex-boyfriend, Kelsey once again retreats to the well-worn pages of Pride and Prejudice. Except that this time she somehow ends up in the pages of Pride and Pr ...more
Helen
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
In Chick Lit ratings - this was loads of fun, a sensational weekend read. There is so much to like about this book - being able to relate to the fact you would like to escape into your favourite novel; how well Grey replicated P&P scenes word.for.word that bought much authenticity for traditional fans; embracing your inner geek and longing to 'smack down' Lady Catherine; the cleverness of modern day sarcasm in Regency England just rocks! Being Caroline Bingley was a real hoot; and coming to ...more
Amanda
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Such a fun read! I thoroughly recommend it to Austen lovers and romantics at heart as a lovely way to while away a few hours. I admit to shedding a few happy tears at the end and finished the final word with a big smile on my face. Very feel good book!
Nancy Kelley
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Is there anyone who can truly say they've never wanted to be someone else? We've all had moments--sometimes stretching into days or even months--when the drudgery or misery of our own lives couldn't hold a candle to the "perfect life" of our favorite fictional characters.

Imagine what would happen if, during one of those periods, you actually leapt into the life of that character. That's what happens to Kelsey Edmundsen after a string of embarrassing encounters with Mark Barnes.

Kelsey was still
Brandee Price
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you love Pride & Prejudice, like I do, you MUST read Attempting Elizabeth. I could stop my review right here because 'nough said, right?!? But y'all know I'm chatty about books ~ especially anything relating to Jane Austen or Pride & Prejudice, so let me tell you why you'll love Attempting Elizabeth, whether you're a Jane Austen fan or not.

Kelsey Edmundson is kinda nerdy when it comes to pop culture. She's a Star Wars fangirl, as well as a geek about action movies and literature. She
Myra (Pieces of Whimsy)
Nov 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review first published on my blog, Pieces of Whimsy

I adore Pride and Prejudice so when I read the synopsis for this novel I immediately wanted to read it! And I'm glad I did.

I really liked the different views we got of Pride and Prejudice, thinking about the story from other characters' point of views. Just like Kelsey, I've read P&P numerous times and I didn't pick up on the name similarities between George and Georgiana. I think it would have been quite amusing to read about George and Geo
Angie
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have over 80 Austen adaptations on my Kindle App - this one may be the most original of the bunch. We all may l want to be Elizabeth, but who are we really? Is Darcy what we want or what we need?

Author Jessica Grey takes the story of Darcy and Elizabeth and brings it into modern fandom. She wraps the story of Kelsey and Mark in a crunchy coating of geeky goodness. This is a story for the sci-fi, cosplay, Star Wars-loving ardent admirers of Jane Austen. I can imagine that Jane would fit in perf
Melissa Buell
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Pride and Prejudice is my favorite book so when I saw that Jessica was writing ATTEMPTING ELIZABETH, I had a nerdy freak out! ;-) I loved this story! Kelsey, the main character, reminds me of myself (which might be why I liked her so much...). I love the idea of jumping into P&P and being one of the characters. (Sort of like AUSTENLAND but different.) And Mark! A great love interest! Oh, and there's kissing. "Is this a kissing book?" Yes, yes it is. But not in a tawdry way. In a romantic way ...more
Marijayne Stegman
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favorite Austen fan fiction books. Loved the way the story of the modern characters were woven together with the Austen classic. I absolutely fell in love with the characters and was rooting for them 100%. Their relationship was so authentic and imperfect but ultimately perfect.
LeeAnn
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
It's dumb. It's cute. It's amazing because It doesn't seem like it's going to be worth reading but it ends up fun. And it works. The end. It's the best answer to anyone wishing they were somebody else. Caution: The name of deity is taken entirely too much especially at the beginning. That stinks and lost it a star.
Holly
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014

I really loved this book. It was just a feel good book that I think I read at the right moment in my life. Of course, I love Pride & Prejudice and I would love to be able to jump into that novel anytime I wanted. What a wish to have come true!
Susan
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A heroine whom the reader can love,
a charming hero, lots of Pride and Prejudice
and a variant of time travel - what a grand combination! This is one of my favorites
of the Austenilia.
M1ssb3rry
Dec 02, 2014 rated it liked it
I have to saythat I liked this book
Grey intergrated her own characters so well into the story
and Mark was definitely a better Darcy as he was "real"
Heather
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-clean
Austen fan fiction, but different than your standard retelling of one of Jane's stories. It was just fun. I loved the snarky heroine.
Pamela
Apr 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
4.5 stars. A unique take on the P&P story. A feel-good book to make you smile.
Kara
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was so fun! I wasn't sure what to expect at first, but Kelsey quickly won me over with her nerdiness and her love of staying home with a good book (most likely Pride and Prejudice, her favorite). I absolutely loved that she was more Darcy-like than Lizzy-like! Definitely a great plan by Ms. Grey. The social awkwardness, the open-mouth-insert-foot moments, jumping to wrong assumptions, her interactions with Mark were hilarious. They could never seem to have a full conversation without offend ...more
Alice
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
***REVIEW***

My stars for this book: 4 stars

I received a copy in exchange for an honest review.

Have you ever fantasized that you are the protagonist of the book or are reading?

or even your favorite book ? The first step is to admit it as a reader !

Well, since we have admitted ,Now the review. Well, when I read the synopsis of the book caught my attention the fact that the protagonist Kelsey Edmundson , was transported to a favorite book : Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.

That factor was the poi
Jessica
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, e-books, new-adult
Kelsey is a Literature major completely in love with Mr Darcy. After having her heart crushed, her best friend forces her to go to a party where she meets Mark. Mark is a big mass of muscle with chocolate eyes, reddish hair and an Australian accent. Kelsey can't seem to say or do anything right around Mark. Right away she insults him and then caves into herself. The next morning she finds him in her apartment and once again she makes herself look like a fool.

After a disaster of a night of seein
Kimberly
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-reads
I'm just going to come out and say that I absolutely adored this book! It's been awhile since I've come across an indie novel as well-written as this one, and it was quite refreshing. I have to admit that I share a lot of qualities with our heroine, Kelsey Edmundson - we're both geeky, awkward, voracious readers, who are uncomfortable in our own skins, and we both swoon over the fictional Mr. Darcy.

The hero of this novel, Mark Barnes, is just as swoon-worthy as Darcy, only instead of an English

How cute is the book? I tricked myself again because I signed up for this blog tour months ago; between then and picking up the book, I forgot that it was New Adult. This is the kind of New Adult I’ve been looking for, though. So many of those books are overdramatic romances about college kids who have way too many issues. A lot of people
Candy
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: austenesque
Amazing! That’s the word I would use to describe Attempting Elizabeth! I truly loved this story! I felt it had a fun uniqueness about it. I loved the whole novel jumping aspect of the story, but there was much more to it than that...I don’t know if I can say anything about it without giving anything away. But I will give it a try!

Kelsey Edmundson is going through a rough spot in her life. She recently broke up her with boyfriend and would rather stay home and read her favorite novel, Pride and P
Angelique
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites

Where did I get the book: From Xpresso book tours and the author in exchange for an honest but fair review and in connection with the book tour.

My Review:
Kelsey has found a way to do something I am sure all book lovers would love to do with their favourite books. She can get herself into her favourite book and live through the scenes as though she was a part of it to start off. But the more she does it, the more she realises that maybe a fake life isn’t really all you might think it to be. Plus
RivkaBelle
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
eARC provided by author for review.
Review originally published on my blog: AWordsWorth.blogspot.com

Raise your hand if you've ever wished you could meet Mr. Darcy. Not just "a Mr. Darcy," but the Mr. Darcy. (I really hope I'm not the only one with my hand up...) Forget, for a moment, that he's just an epic, dashingly broody and romantic hero in literature. Forget about the small detail that Mr. Darcy - and Elizabeth, Bingley, Mr. Collins and Lady Catherine - exist only because one Jane Austen had
Jess at Such a Novel Idea
Attempting Elizabeth is yet another Pride & Prejudice themed book. It isn't a retelling, but does spend a lot of time in that book's world. To me, it was like a behind the scenes look at the world of P&P, with ties to the here and now.

Kelsey is a nerd, klutz, awkward girl (GO Awkward Nerdy Girls!) who hasn't found her Mr. Darcy. I immediately related to her, as I too, am an Awkward Nerdy Girl. She meets a boy, who is A-Australian B-a red head and C-swoon-worthy. Of course, she makes a gi
Jessica Figueroa
Nov 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
It is no secret that Kelsey is is obsessed with Mr. Darcy from Pride & Prejudice. After her last boyfriend broke her heart she seemed to stink further into her obsession that pretty much affected the way she viewed guys. She wanted to find her Mr. Darcy in a world of Mr. Wickham's. Kelsey's friend managed to get her to get out of the house and managed to see Mark, a guy she can't seem to act normal around. Shes extremely awkward and managed to say the wrong thing around him. One night Kelsey ...more
  • Loving Miss Darcy (Brides of Pemberley, #2)
  • Austentatious
  • Bluebells in the Mourning
  • Darcy's Dilemma (A Fair Prospect, #2)
  • Memory: Volume 1, Lasting Impressions: A Tale Of Pride And Prejudice
  • Darcy's Decision (Given Good Principles #1)
  • The Disappearance of Georgiana Darcy (Pride and Prejudice Murder Mystery #2)
  • A Peculiar Connection
  • Searching for Captain Wentworth
  • Mr. Darcy’s Noble Connections
  • Caroline Bingley
  • Mr. Darcy's Promise
  • Mr. Darcy Forever (Austen Addicts #3)
  • When They Fall in Love: Darcy and Elizabeth in Italy
  • He Taught Me to Hope (Darcy and the Young Knight's Quest #1)
  • The Red Chrysanthemum
  • One Thread Pulled: The Dance with Mr. Darcy
  • Pirates and Prejudice
Jessica Grey is an author, fairy tale believer, baseball lover, and recovering Star Wars fangirl. A life-long Californian, she now lives with her two children near Colorado Springs, where she spends her time writing, complaining about snow in April, and drinking way too much caffeine.

Jessica writes witty, modern Jane Austen adaptations and Young Adult fairy tales featuring strong girls and magic.
More about Jessica Grey...