Start by marking “Outcome (Breakers, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Outcome (Breakers, #0.5)

Outcome

(Breakers 0.5)

Published January 14th 2013

To ask other readers questions about Outcome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Outcome

Soo
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Picked up the Breakers Omnibus on Audible and I'm a fan. The beginning starts off a bit clunky with too many details to sort but I shrugged it off and kept listening to the story as I worked on other things. Pieces scatter in tempting bites as tension is hammered into you, the fallibility of humans is presented, a very likable character is trotted out, events quickly unfold and it's three hours later. The prequel is over and I can't wait to see what else is in store.

Listening to audiobooks is a
Serena
Feb 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Ellie sees what the numbers of a flu that will become worse than any worldwide plague before it. She sees them for what they are, without the bias of fear that the world would rather be broken or fallen to ruin. Yet others who see the numbers refuse to believe it could be that bad in the end. As Ellie goes to New York to save her ex fiancee, Chip, who she can't leave behind or forget.

Since the seven years apart Chip's life has been focused on his adopted daughter, Dee, when they are detained by
Bèbè ✦ RANT  ✦
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
After configuring number and looking over statistics, Ellie Colson knows that she needs to get to New York before the outcome of the disease. A disease called Panhandler which makes people cough up the blood until they die and will take over the world in short time.

Getting to New York was supposed to be fast since all she needed to do is find her ex-fiance Chip and his daughter Dee and bring them to safety. But after finding out that Dee is missing, they have to find her before they could catch
Steph
Outcome sets the stage for Edward Robertson's Breakers series. When Ellie Colson, an agent with the Department of Advance Analysis, sees the rate of infection she knows if she doesn't make it to NYC now she may never see her ex-fiancé again. So, against orders, she heads out in hopes that she's able to find him in time to get to safety. Meanwhile, in NYC, Chip and his adopted daughter are shuffled off the Metro into quarantine. Separated from his daughter and with no one answering his questions, ...more
Scott
Feb 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Edward Robertson has a way with characters. It's been evident in everything I've read by him so far (which includes the other two Breakers books and THE ROAR OF THE SPHERES) and it's evident in this one. OUTCOME is a more focused story than the novels, describing Ellie's efforts to find the one person she really loves in New York City as the city goes crazy in response to the Panhandler virus. It ends a little different from a lot of this type of story, and I really appreciated that.

Edward Robe
Amy
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
This novella was interesting and kept my attention, but I did get a bit irritated with Chip's attitude after Ellie helps him. He questions everything she does and won't give in a millimeter on his opinions. I didn't feel like he was grateful at all at the incredible sacrifice Ellie made for him and his daughter. I found it hard to connect with either character and that both of them were described as being a certain way but then acted completely oppositely. Hopefully the next book will develop mo ...more
Sharon Michael
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
More promise than delivery. Good start but the balance of the story involved nothing more than the search for the daughter of one of the characters through a city filled with people dying or dead from a viral plague. I found the characters difficult to identify with, many of their actions did not fit their personalities. No real plot and very bleak and grim in tone. Not my kind of book.
David Blaylock
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Quick read and well worth your time.

I would suggest you read this before reading the other books in the series.

It gets you ready for what happens next.
Larry Peninger
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a prequal novella for the Breakers series. Real short just a couple of hundred pages. I picked up The Breakers Omnibus on Audible read by Ray Chase. So far Ray is the deciding factor in continuing this book. His dynamic voice brings life to sometimes mealy characters and and attitudes.
For an end of the world scenario everyone seems a little lackadaisical and nonchalant . The male female relationship is mirrored. The female lead is the strong and hardcore type and the male is diminutive
Julian White
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Prequel novella to the main series, setting up the scenario for Breakers. Ellie works for a government agency and learns about a new virulent virus. Believing that it may mean the end of the civilised world she leaves and covertly flies to New York with the intention of rescuing her ex-fiancé. Alternate chapters deal with the fiancé and his adopted daughter as they become scooped up by the authorities attempting, too late, to cope with the emergency. The two strands of narrative intersect for th ...more
Richard
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: syfy, fiction, distope
Chip is a whiny little bitch. A strong woman like Ellie would never have any feelings for a spineless a-hole like him. This woman risks her life, murders a man (for him) does everything but give up and he just keeps whining and whining bitching complaining, being too loud, being uncooperative, unhelpful, abrasive. Chip SUCKS!!!!
Kevin
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
An auspicious beginning to what looks like a long tale. I was drawn to the end of the world epidemic story because most of the end of the world zombie apocalypse stories I've tried lately haven't been all that terrific. The characters are endearing and feel deeper the the mere 90 pages of this volume. There's no Hollywood ending here for sure.

Will move to volume 1 with haste.
Anna Skaar
Waaaaay too short! I want more, more, more! I’ve read all the other books in the series and I was so happy when I found this little gem. Can never get enough of that first phase of the apocalypse! Absolutely loved it!
Teshai
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Didn't understand her motives at all. Now she's stuck with the same thing she broke up with the man for. Didn't hold me enough to read the rest of the series right now.
Joanne
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 at least, can't wait to do whole series if its this good!!!
Scott
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
One of the best apocalypse novellas I've read to date. Enough twists and turns to make it interesting, a somewhat unwilling group working together, and just enough unexplained for you to come up with your own reasons for various events.

If you're a fan of the stand and have some spare time, check out this novella.
Karlyn
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Having just started the series not sure how to interpret this one. It was engaging and confusing. I am giving it five starts as it made me want to know more about the story line and the characters. I’m looking forward to book 1.

Looking forward to number 4 to learn more about these characters.
Rishika S.
Mar 03, 2013 rated it liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this novella and am definitely going to read all the books in the series. I haven't read any of the Breakers' series yet, aside from Outcome, so this review is based solely on my first experience with Edward Robertson's books.
As a fan of the general post-apocalyptic story lines, I thought Outcome would be a great starting point to a series and it lived up to my expectations. But I think that maybe somewhere, somehow, it could have been better.
The story line is simple enough
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
The following review is my opinion and not a paid review.

Ellie Colson an agent of the Department of Advance Analysis has just realized that a new virus is about to wipe out everyone on the planet. No one not even her own bosses believe that the world is about to be wiped out. Ellie knows that everyone is about to die and she does not want to be one of them. She knows that this new virus is going to spread like wild fire.

Ellie knows the only way to survive is to leave town and go into hibernation
Nicole
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this book after the first two in the series, Breakers and Melt Down. This edition is set right at the time of the "outbreak" and can be read after reading the first or second book. I wouldn't recommend reading beforehand, because the first two books give a good perspective that will need to be known to fully grasp some of the story.
Once again, this book is written very well, with very few words that I needed to look up. The descriptions are written well, and I wasn't left with a feeling t
Maia Sepp
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love the "Breaker's" books, and this little novella is a nice addition to the series. "Outcome" follows Ellie Colson, a disease modeller for a shadowy government branch (nerds with guns - yay!) who abandons her post so she can try to extract her ex-fiance from New York before he succumbs to the deadly plague that's about to overtake mankind. Robertson's writing is fast-paced, smart, witty and engaging, and "Outcome" is no exception.

As an aside, I'd love it if Robertson wrote another novella l
Mike Nemeth
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Edward W. Robertson takes a couple of themes (plague and monumental disaster) and puts his own spin on who survives and how in "Outcome." Ellie, a super-smart agent with the U.S. Department of Advance Analysis, figures out before anybody else that a brewing human-killing virus will put to shame the deaths caused by the flu that swept the planet during World War I. Her first thought is to save the man to whom she once gave her heart and who now wants nothing to do with her. He lives in New York. ...more
Nmkazzazyahoo.com
Jun 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing

I hadn't heard of the Breaker series before I came across the novella Outcome as a free promotion. It's set in the world of the Breaker series, but is a standalone.

This short story was very thrilling to read. The world is going to end by a virus, and it's spreading fast. This short story gave me goose bumps because it shows the ugly side of humanity when the crisis hits. Ellie wants to protect her ex-fiance, but several times, she is close to ditching him because he needs to find his adopted da
Adrienne
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm reading the audio book version of this series, the 0-3 omnibus.

A little vague but I liked the suspense. Was a great build up for the series.
Patty Jansen
Jul 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Donna
Feb 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
Since I have not yet read Breakers I cannot really relate it yet to the series, but though short as it is, I am excited to read Breakers. Some very basic editing problems such as the use of "to" for "too" which always seem curious to me because if anyone had read it that would have easily been caught. However, the editing errors were very minimal not distracting from the story at all. This story is about a woman trying to rescue her ex and his adopted daughter from New York where a contagious "f ...more
Sabina Bundgaard
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
This short story was scary to read, to tell you the truth. The world is going to end, but not by a meteor hitting Earth, or nuclear bomb going off, or zombies… Nope. This is a virus, and it’s spreading fast. This short story gave me goose bumps because it shows the ugly side of humanity (or lack thereof) when the crisis hits. Ellie wants to protect her ex-fiance, but several times, she is close to ditching him because he needs to find his step-daughter.

What scared me the most were the things El
Ellie is an agent of the Department of Advance Analysis and realises that a deadly virus is spreading to just about everywhere and wiping out the population. Her thoughts go to her ex-fiancee, Chip and rushes off to New York.

However, Chip and his daughter Dee, have already been taken to a secure hopsital to be quarantined. However when Ellie arrives to break out Chip, Dee is nowhere to be found.
Now they are in a race against the virus. Will they find Dee? And will they be able to outrun the viru
Wendy
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scfy
I enjoyed this novella which is a preview to the Breaker series although it doesn't have to be read before the other books. In the story a lethal virus has been unleashed on the earth's unsuspecting population and one woman, Ellie, who works for a government agency has knowledge of its existence and wants to save her ex-fiancee, Chip and his daughter Dee.
What Ellie soon discovers is that Chip has been targeted as a disease carrier and has been taken with his daughter to a nearby hospital and sed
Adam
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another Gift From SPP.

Great story, I'm captivated. This is yet another example of the incredible Indie talent out there. I saw Mr. Robertson on the Self Publishing Podcast (SPP) and was drawn to him immediately. He's got some incredible insight into the constantly evolving self-publishing-arena and some compelling titles in his catalogue, so I gave Outcome a shot. I guess it's sort of a prequel to his already existing BREAKERS series, either way, the writing is tight, the character's compelling
  • First Light (After, #0.5)
  • The Harbinger: Books 1 - 4
  • The Biomass Revolution (The Tisaian Chronicles #1)
  • St. Matthews (Contamination, #0)
  • Necropolis (The Shadow Wars, #1)
  • The Colonists (Movement Trilogy, #2)
  • Cages (Cages, #1)
  • The Island: Part Three
  • End Dayz (The Hitchhiker Strain, #0.5)
  • Primal Shift: Part 1
  • The Fall: Tales from the Apocalypse
  • Rebirth (The Eden Trilogy, #0.5)
  • The Soul Ripper (Twisted Souls #1)
  • Story Time (Story Time, #1)
  • The Forever Gate 2 (The Forever Gate #2)
  • Within (LZR-1143, #1.5)
  • Jeremy's Choice (The Peeling, #1)
  • The Sky Used to be Blue (Karma #1)
Ed is the author of the post-apocalyptic Breakers series and the epic fantasy series The Cycle of Arawn. A former New Yorker and Idaho-guy, he currently lives in the LA area. His short fiction has appeared in a whole bunch of magazines and anthologies.

Breakers (8 books)
  • Breakers (Breakers, #1)
  • Melt Down (Breakers, #2)
  • Knifepoint (Breakers, #3)
  • Reapers (Breakers, #4)
  • Cut Off (Breakers, #5)
  • Captives (Breakers, #6)
  • Relapse (Breakers, #7)
  • Blackout (Breakers, #8)
“Having a kid was like having a drunken mess of a friend who could never hang on to a girl: they required constant advice, yet no matter how wise your counsel, you knew they would rarely if ever take it. If doing good meant leaning on your shoulder, they'd rather screw up on their own.” 0 likes