Start by marking “The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win” as Want to Read:
The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win

The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  18,059 ratings  ·  1,759 reviews
Bill is an IT manager at Parts Unlimited. It's Tuesday morning and on his drive into the office, Bill gets a call from the CEO.

The company's new IT initiative, code named Phoenix Project, is critical to the future of Parts Unlimited, but the project is massively over budget and very late. The CEO wants Bill to report directly to him and fix the mess in ninety days or else
Published January 10th 2013 by IT Revolution Press

To ask other readers questions about The Phoenix Project, please sign up.
Timmie McArthur "The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement" by Eliyahu Goldratt

and

"The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement" by Eliyahu Goldratt

and

"The Rollout: A Novel about Leadership and Building a Lean-Agile Enterprise with SAFe" by Alex Yakyma(less)

Will
Jan 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
Honestly, it reminds me of an Ayn Rand book.

For every time I'm impressed how calm, kind and reasonable the protagonist is, there's another time how I'm shocked at how vindictive and petty the book (if not the protagonist directly) is to the people that seem to be standing in the way of the protagonist. Right now, it's security professionals, but a couple of chapters ago it was project managers, then developers, and then the CEO. No-one in those departments has any sympathy for the protagonist, n
Dan Schwent
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, 2017-books
Bill Palmer gets thrust into the CIO position at Parts Unlimited and has 90 days to make chicken salad out of chicken shit or the entire IT department gets outsourced. Does Bill have what it takes?

Confession Time: I've worked in IT for the past fifteen years. When the CTO of the company I work for strongly recommended all IT personnel read this, I bit the bullet.

Remember those after school specials that were some kind of lesson with a flimsy story wrapped around it? That's pretty much what this
Pamela (slytherpuff)
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Pamela (slytherpuff) by: Iris Culpepper
Shelves: business, own, geekery
See more of my reviews at Bettering Me Up.

I know what you're thinking.

Wow. A fictionalized account of ITIL and Agile methodologies. That sounds so...exciting.

But it is!

Imagine my surprise when I was completely sucked into Bill's world.

IT Operations isn't always a fun place to work: servers crash; applications freeze; vulnerabilities are everywhere; and customers--both internal and external--scream for support.

So how to you manage all of the Work in Progress (WIP), emergencies, and planned work?
Thorsten
Feb 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
to be honest, I'm a bit embarrassed how much i enjoyed this book! It's basically a business/IT management book thinly disguised as a novel, but i must say it's very well done. It's such niche subject matter that i'm not sure anyone outside of an IT Ops role would appreciate it, but i genuinely learned a lot about how IT needs to integrate within business goals to actually achieve anything, that it doesn't exist in a vacuum, and if it does, then something is seriously out of wack. It preaches goo ...more
John
Jan 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Imagine an Ayn Rand novel where John Galt gives stilted lectures about ITIL and lean manufacturing instead of objectivism.

Update: It's not a great book, but if you're working in a dysfunctional IT environment and never manage to make it through any of the traditional business/tech books that could help you this would be a great place to start. Just promise you you won't stop here either. Another update: bumped up to three stars, I've read some two star stuff lately and this isn't that.
Bjoern Rochel
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, eng-mgmt
This is the unicorn we'll be all hunting for the next 5+ years. De Marco's The Deadline finally found his spiritual successor.

Don't take this book too literally, like a prescription of rules to follow. The change that they're able to achieve in the book in the given timeframe is, well, quite unrealistic. Most companies don't face extinction and are not forced to reevaluate the way value is delivered. And if they do, changing the whole value stream and culture of a company is probably something
Sergey Shishkin
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Calling this a DevOps book is an understatement. The key to the company's success in the book wasn't automation or continuous delivery. What made the success transferable from the manufacturing plant floor to knowledge work was subordinating success criteria to top business measurements and rigorous application of the Theory of Constraints to achieve it. Of course, automation and continuous delivery are necessary intermediate steps for most traditional IT organizations on that journey.

The whole
Mike
This is the first book I've read cover-to-cover in an extremely long time. And what follows in this review are less my final impressions and more the way the book hit me as I dove into it. I still believe my criticisms are valid, but they have less impact on my enjoyment and my ability to absorb the interstitial lessons than I had expected. You are so forewarned.

As I'm reading the first few chapters, this book reminds me of my attitude towards the Agile Manifesto these days - "nobody understand
Eric
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
The copywriter gave up on p150, and so should you. Things start to go downhill when "illusive" replaces "ellusive", and the grammatical eccentricities snowball from there.

But wait, you ask ... if I stop now, how will I learn whether Bill masters the Three Laws? Will he develop a Mutually Supportive Working Relationship with the Information Security Officer? Will the Enigmatic guru, Erik, request an olive in his martini? Why Does This Book Make Me Want To Capitalize Everything? And however is Bil
Tim O'Hearn
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is the most cliché book I have ever read. The Phoenix Project uses a contrived narrative to deliver IT best practices like a mother would use applesauce to hide peas while spoon-feeding a toddler. The state of technology/management books might have been different five years ago, but I found the over-the-top nature insulting to the intelligence of the intended demographic. Yes, storylines help reinforce points, but the best books I encounter nowadays contain real examples sans the dramatics ...more
John Norman
Jun 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a novel about a company in crisis because IT and software development form a bottleneck for every aspect of the business. The rest of the business has blinders on, and doesn't even really understand their dependencies on IT and software. Sound familiar?

The CEO brings in a potential new board member who enlightens the VP of IT in "lean" methodologies for IT.

For those of us devoted to agile methodologies in software, there is not a lot that is surprising in matter of detail. But the big pi
جادی میرمیرانی
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
If looking for a "novel", this book will not get anything more than a 2 star from me. Very straight forward and simple story telling. But If you are in IT, this is an 5 star!

If you are a professional IT operation guy, this book is like reading a diary of your own and will guide you the way. If you are a newcomer to IT this shows you the underlying principals of some ITIL operational concepts.

Highly recommended if you are in IT.
Sinisa Mikasinovic
Now this was a real treat for an IT guy! Finally I felt how the world sees us.

On a superficial, "Hey, IT guy!", everyday level.
On a deep, "Only IT guys know" level.
On a management, "What do you do, and do we even need you?" level.
On a spousal, "Are you still in the office?!" level.

I guess it's easier to see when things are happening to someone else.

Beware, for this will be just an average novel for non-IT people. Perhaps even less-than-average, as there's no standard plot you may expect.

But IT g
Marcin
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
OK. So it's not The Goal. The inspiration and the parallels are obvious (even explicit) and the story is entertaining but personally I didn't find it as ground-breaking. It can be very good for people to get a basic understanding of the many concepts (flow, WIP, TOC, systems thinking, ...) The focus of the book is firmly on the operational side of IT and any parallels with software development must be taken with care.
Chris
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
the prose was horrible - several very disconcerting shifts in tense were the least of it. and what did it teach me? that if I'm not in upper management nothing I do matters and I can't fix any of the problems plaguing my work. but if upper management just reads this book we will all go to a happy place and no one will balk except the moustache twirling villains who will either be fired or be reborn as if from a cocoon into their true form
إدريس
يا للروعة!!!
دستيوفسكي- لو كان يكتب في الآي تي وادارة الاعمال.
فعلاً روعة!!
Jurgen Appelo
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: agile-management
Great read, wonderful description of IT. As a novel quite OK.
James
Mar 08, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technology
This book garnered lots of attention, which I mostly think because the subject matter is dry and there aren't many books on the overall topic. The contrived company and scenarios in this book are far to simple, I didn't like the delivery mechanism for covering the tenets of the DevOps approach. I wouldn't work in these conditions, and neither should you. Go find a place that appreciates you and the important work of IT, if you find yourself relating to closely to these shallow characters.

Some of
Joerg
May 05, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Aufgrund hymnischer Amazon Bewertungen und Nennungen auf Security Konferenzen habe ich mich zu diesem Buch hinreissen lassen. Es Roman zu nennen ist leicht übertrieben.
Im Minutentakt wird in Form eines Bullshit-Bingo jede verfügbare Business-Sau durchs Dorf getrieben, die auffindbar ist. Bei Begriffen wie Lean-Management, Kanban, usw. riegelt mein Gehirn automatisch ab. Etwa so, wenn die Zeugen Jehovas vor der Tür stehen und mit mir über Glück reden wollen.
Abgesehen davon, dass dieses Buch aus
mohamed
Jan 23, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-again
when i dove into this book, i thought i had an idea, i thought it's inspiring, tutoring..anything, it's just plain boring, it talks about working..literally working, in a cubicle , the kind of thing you read your entire life NOT to do, or even to escape it, it's like doing work with your eyes ( or in my case ears because i was listening to the audio) , i have no idea who would read this, it might appeal to some people, but i don't think that that kind of working people have the time to read this ...more
Cara
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Anyone working in IT can benefit from reading this book...I probably shouldn't have considered it a comedy but there were so many scenarios I read where I found myself smiling, nodding and thinking, "That sounds about right." Kudos to the authors from showing the relevance of IT in the enterprise and how interconnected everything is that makes our businesses run. Additionally, great leadership skills highlighted by the main character, Bill. I think he'll be very successful!
Dennis
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just like Tom DeMarco's Deadline almost two decades ago this is an absolute must read for everyone who's even remotely involved with IT, management, and operations in any kind of business in this day and age.
John Christensen
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit something, I love case studies. When a software development book starts throwing out "examples" of the methodologies being discussed, I tend to get interested in the story. I start paying closer attention. If they're well-written, I get very interested. Generally, I find myself wanting more. Naturally, I don't get this - the book is a dry technical reference on software development practices and not a novel. The fiction interspersed within is meant to keep you interested.

The Phoe
Jacques Bezuidenhout
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I truly enjoyed this book and the way in which it was written.

Written as a novel, I could feel parts of my life in the book. I could relate to various characters/roles from positions I've worked in.

It also highlights things I've come to learn as problems.

I think this is a great book, not only for IT professionals or managers, but for every manager in your business, and every IT/Dev employee to read. This will give you a better perspective on what is needed to succeed.
It is not simply about doing
Brian
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
A colleague of mine loaned me this book as we are going though deep discussions on how to adopt a DevOps model for our team's work. I'm already a believer in the methodology and I didn't need to be sold on it. He spoke highly of the book, and so this weekend I finally sat down to read it.

But I was very skeptical. Very.

A novel about IT? Ugh. I love to read. I love tech. I've worked in IT for more than a decade, but this did not seem like a good idea.

I was wrong.

It's not fine literature. It won't
Sandro Mancuso
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book and a must read for any IT professional or manager. Anyone who ever worked for a medium to large organisation will immediately identify themselves with the situations described in the book. If you are not familiar with Lean, Theory of Constraints, Agile methodologies, and DevOps, you have an extra motive to read this book. But if you are already familiar with those things, you should read this book anyway, purely for the entertainment value. I'm sure you will learn a few goo ...more
Willian Molinari
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computers, audio
This is a great book for IT folks.

In case you worked (or still works) in a big company with lots of ITIL things that holds the development, this book will be like home for you.

It is a typical hero's journey and the characters are not so well developed (IMO) but the story is still good to follow. I've created many ideas for the ending and none of them were true, it made me give credits to the authors for not make it obvious.

The book is a fictional novel but it has some truth in it. ;)
Kirill
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dropbox
Amazing and remarkable read! As a novel it involves a good piece of fiction which makes reading so amusing and helps to present the lean ideas in a very refreshing way.
Alexander
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the most inspiring books I've read since "Deadline" from Tom DeMarco.
Vlad Fratila
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: programming, agile, devops
This was a very entertaining read, although I must admit I was taken aback by the format. It's a character-driven narrative in the world of struggling IT orgs. It very much emphasises DevOps and Agile as the end-all be-all solutions - not a bad idea, since these practices pretty much won everyone over by now.

The whole book is a story about how Bill takes over IT at a large factory, only to find out that the world is a cruel place. Agile and DevOps principles are slowly introduced as solutions. W
  • The Visible Ops Handbook: Starting ITIL in 4 Practical Steps
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation
  • Web Operations: Keeping the Data on Time
  • Lean from the Trenches
  • Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business
  • Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great
  • The Principles of Product Development Flow: Second Generation Lean Product Development
  • The Agile Samurai: How Agile Masters Deliver Great Software
  • Management 3.0: Leading Agile Developers, Developing Agile Leaders
  • Agile Estimating and Planning
  • Personal Kanban: Mapping Work Navigating Life

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Gene Kim is a multiple award-winning CTO, Tripwire founder, Visible Ops co-author, IT Ops/Security Researcher, Theory of Constraints Jonah, a certified IS auditor and a rabid UX fan.

He is passionate about IT operations, security and compliance, and how IT organizations successfully transform from "good to great."
“Improving daily work is even more important than doing daily work.” 15 likes
“Being able to take needless work out of the system is more important than being able to put more work into the system.” 11 likes