Start by marking “Career Day (I Hunt Killers, #0.3)” as Want to Read:
Career Day (I Hunt Killers, #0.3)

Career Day

(I Hunt Killers 0.3)

You're seventeen years old and your father is the most notorious serial killer America has ever produced.

He brought you up. Taught you everything he knows. Everyone in your ordinary American town knows who you are. So even though Dear Old Dad is safely behind bars, when the killing starts all over again, you are the first person the police come to see.

They don't know
Published March 16th 2012 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Career Day, please sign up.

Start your review of Career Day (I Hunt Killers, #0.3)
Matt
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Matt by: Mariah Roze
In my ongoing binge of Barry Lyga’s ‘I Hunt Killers’ series, I am turning my attention to the prequel short stories so that I can better understand the characters who will grace the pages of the full-length novels. Having a little background on Billy Dent in the first piece and a better understanding of Lobo’s Nod, the setting of the series that is explored in the second story, it is time to explore Jasper, the protagonist for the larger series. Jasper is a struggling teen with both parents away ...more
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Jasper had grown up with a killer in the house. A killer for a father. Combine the murderous impulse with the paternal impulse and you got...

Perfect intro to the series. You can read Career Day before reading book 1 (which is probably a great idea), or after, like I did. This gives you just the right amount of character insight to leave you curious for more.

It's just a few pages, so the risk factor is low. You can find the story on wattpad for free HERE.
Well, you got Billy Dent. A guy
 Marple

Well, you got Billy Dent. A guy who raised his son to understand the human body in a very special way. A guy who taught Jasper how to hit an inside fastball and how to separate an arm at the shoulder joint.

This is a very short prequel to Jasper Dent trilogy ( there are 4 prequels as far as I know ).
It shed the light more on Jasper’s as
Kelly
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Holy whoa, people! This short story packs a considerable wallop. The ending. THE ENDING. It nearly made me tear up. For all his bravado and the game face he puts on for the world, Jazz is just a sad, sweet, messed up kid underneath. It absolutely kills me how badly he wants to be normal and how much his dad screwed him up.

This is a fantastic look at Jazz and his friends before the events in book 1. Between gangly, irrepressible Howie (his flirting is AWESOME, btw) and cool as a cucumber Connie
Nerdie
Aug 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
A sad little prequel to 'I Hunt Killers'. Gives a bit more backstory into the characters before the main storyline.

I really enjoyed this. Lyga's writing style is simple yet he still manages to pack a punch. He can switch from comedy to downright chilling instantly. The end of this made me tear up a little. I will be reading I Hunt Killers soon.

(Oh, and can I just say how awesome it is that there's an interracial couple in this? XD )
Chopette
Jan 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Career Day is a free 17 page prequel to I Hunt Killers. I didn't even know that there was a prequel to I Hunt Killers so I am very happy that I found it before I started reading the main book. The very second Howie was bought into the story I just sat there grinning like a moron and thinking oh yeah here we go this is going to be awesome, can you say instalove! Getting back to the serious side though, this short prequel was fantastic it hooked me right in and when it ended I was left feeling ...more
Kat Mandu
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Kat Mandu says...

Though this novella is much shorter than Lucky Day, it doesn’t pack any less of a punch.

What do you want to be when you grow up? This question sticks with Jasper as he struggles with a homework assignment after Career Day that focuses on his life. Chilled by his father’s legacy, Jasper realizes he doesn’t exactly know what he wants – he just wants to be safe.

T.J. Day
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Though this novella is much shorter than Lucky Day, it doesn't pack any less of a punch.

What do you want to be when you grow up? This question sticks with Jasper as he struggles with a homework assignment after Career Day that focuses on his life. Chilled by his father's legacy, Jasper realizes he doesn't exactly know what he wants - he just wants to be safe.

There is a bit of humor in this, brought up by naturally Howie, who gives the dark short story moments of hilarity. And Jasper's first
Katherine
Career Day is a special short story/bonus scene that accompanies the I Hunt Killers series. Since it's so short, this review will also be pretty short.

Basically, there's a day where all the parents come in to talk about what they do. Jazz's father, obviously, couldn't be there are is not the best role model to look up too, so Jazz has to wing it.

It was nice to read about how he and Connie met and how he got the nickname Jazz.

I love this series with a passion. Barry Lyga's writing style is
Elsa Munoz
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short story

It was short and to the point. The ending, though. Jasper's need to not end up like his dad, to prove people wrong is a strong one. Can't wait to get started on the series!
Amanda
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Even though this was 16 pages it’s nice to see how Connie and Jasper met and how he got his nickname. It also got him thinking what does he want to be when he grows up. I had a $5 gift card to amazon or I wouldn’t have bought it for $1.99. Just because it’s so short
Emily
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always love reading about backstories, and how they shaped the characters.
Tina
I enjoyed this, but man, Howie is annoying.
Stephenie Geschwender
I get the point of the backstory and everything but really this one just seemed kinda boring.
Doghouse Gav
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Top notch

Great little back story into the characters of the I hunt killers series. Howie is the best character ever written!!!
Doree Weller
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed seeing Howie and Jazz together in this short story that shows more of what happened before the Impressionist came to town.
Susan Elizabetha
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy the Jasper Dent series. What is a high school senior to do, not to be a serial killer like his father.
Darinda
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-story-ya
A short story in the I Hunt Killers series by Barry Lyga. The events in this book take place before Book 1. This story is told from Jasper's POV. It's time for career day at school, and Jasper has to think about what he wants for his future. An entertaining addition to the series. Quick and fun.
Katie
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Damn - I didn't know a 16 page short story could have an impact on me, but it hit right in the guts.
Katherine
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A really good look at Jasper Dent, on just a day in his life, punctuated by what should be a normal school event. Having a serial killer for a father that taught you the ropes supremely messes a person up. Having that balanced out with normality and good fatherly actions has only left Jasper more confused. Now, three years after proclaiming that he doesn't think he did anything wrong, he is being faced with the prospect of what he will actually do with his life.
I really enjoyed this. It was an
-Bookish Gal-
Length isn't as important as what you say and how you say it. - Barry Lyga, Career Day (Jasper Dent, #0.5)

The above quote perfectly sums up the spirit of this book.

This brilliant book serves as the perfect prequel to Lyga' I Hunt Killers, the first book in the Jasper Dent series. In a few short pages, we get a glimpse into the life and mind of Jasper - who is the son of the most notorious serial killer America has ever produced.

Though this one isnt much about the plot, but to pique the interest
Trish
This review was first published on The Bookshelf at the End.

Pretty short, not much for one to talk much about. It takes place not too long after Billy is sent to prison, and sets up Jazz, Connie, and Howie to be the trio they are in the trilogy. The ending is sweet, and something fans of the trilogy will appreciate.
Cj
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Barry Lyga has a direct line to that placid little place in my heart that seldom makes itself known; and he knows how to make it rear up like a gargantuan fist of feelings to sucker punch me straight in the gut.

Career Day is a short story that can make novels wish they were as enthralling, as engaging, as deep as it is.

I have read some of the best novels, short stories, & novellas the world has to offer but this.. man, this wipes the floor with all of them.
Liron
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"I'm Howie Gersten,”Howie said, ambling over and holding out his gigantic NBA-sized hand. “I bruise if I put my watch on too tight. You’ll like it. You’ll come to find my vulnerability sexy.”
LOL, I love Howie.

After reading the final book in the series, this little exerpt of Jazz's life before everything that's happened really warmed my heart.
I'm so proud of this little boy after everything he's been through. :')
Marika Charalambous
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Well, there is not much to tell about this short free story, except WOW! I've almost started with the first Jasper Dent book when I've read here at Goodreads that there is a prequel, which is free. So I downloaded as pdf file and read it within 5 minutes. It's only about 15 pages long, but boy that small story packs a punch. This guy definitely knows how to write...Now off to read the first main book in the series. If it's anything like the prequel, I'm sold!
Trisha
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Free! This is where you find it!!: http://www.scribd.com/doc/83942363/CA...

I absolutely loved it!! I loved hearing how Connie and Jasper met, how he got the name Jazz, and some of Howie's random pick-up lines! They seem so young here, and naive, than where they are now in the books. Great addition to the series!
Linda
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
A short story told from Jasper's pov. It's 3 yrs after Billy went to prison and a couple of weeks after Jazz met Connie in the Coffee shop and asked her out. Career Day at school makes Jazz begin to think of what he wants his future to look like. He would love to have a normal life, but is that even possible?
Helen
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Read this in my lunch hour and what can I say but: wow. As an introduction/teaser to Jazz's world and Lyga's writing it has really whet my appetite for more.

I Hunt Killers has made it to my to-read list :)
Caitlin Michelle
Feb 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-challenge
I enjoyed this, but definitely wish it had been a little bit longer. There are so many things I want to know about Jazz's past before "I hunt killers" so I would have loved a little more length to this one.
The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears
Great prequel with Jazz, Connie and Howie. Needed to read this before starting Game. Howie is a hoot, and I can see Connie's sheer awesomeness.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Wicked Lies Boys Tell
  • Killer Instinct (Killer Instinct, #1)
  • The Sexual State: How Elite Ideologies Are Destroying Lives and Why the Church Was Right All Along
  • The Athena Protocol
  • Deadly Passion (Heaven's Heart Series, #1)
  • Ashes (Graced, #5)
  • Survivor (Graced, #3)
  • Betrayed (Graced, #3.5)
  • Bitten (Graced, #4)
  • Sweet Temptation (Sweet, #4)
  • Benevolent Passion (Heaven's Heart Book 2)
  • Captive (Graced, #2)
  • A Treason of Thorns
  • Winged Passion (Heaven's Heart Book 3)
  • Ascending Passion (Heaven's Heart Book 4)
  • Graced (Graced, #1)
  • Evenfall: Volume 1: Director's Cut (In the Company of Shadows, #1 part #1)
  • War and Wind (Tides #2)
Barry Lyga is a recovering comic book geek. According to Kirkus, he's also a "YA rebel-author." Somehow, the two just don't seem to go together to him.

When he was a kid, everyone told him that comic books were garbage and would rot his brain, but he had the last laugh. Raised on a steady diet of comics, he worked in the comic book industry for ten years, but now writes full-time because, well,

I Hunt Killers (3 books)
  • I Hunt Killers (I Hunt Killers, #1)
  • Game (I Hunt Killers, #2)
  • Blood of My Blood (I Hunt Killers, #3)
“Length isn’t as important as what you say and how you say it.” 5 likes
“Stop what?” Howie demanded. “Stop loving you, Jazz? I wish I could quit you, but I can’t. Someday, we’ll run off to New York and get married, the way God intended it.” Despite himself, Jasper cracked a grin. “Sorry, man my nips only go out about this far.” He mimed a quarter inch. “Oh, well, in that case, nice to know ya…” 1 likes