Start by marking “Eternity (The Immortals, #1)” as Want to Read:
Eternity (The Immortals, #1)

Eternity

(The Immortals #1)

Three hundred years ago, Raven St. James was accused of witchcraft...Only one man tried to free her from the hangman's noose--Duncan, the town minister, who died trying to save her. Three hundred years later, the accused witch still lives and longs for her love...At last, after centuries of loneliness, Raven has found her precious Duncan. But as he awakens to the passion o ...more
Published January 10th 2013 (first published December 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Eternity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eternity

Nenia Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

🦇 Read for the Unapologetic Romance Readers Halloween 2018 Reading Challenge for the category of: A romance with a witch 🦇

ETERNITY joins the cadre of bad paranormal romance I've read this year, alongside other greats such as TOUCH A DARK WOLF (a werewolf romance) and PRINCE OF THE NIGHT (a vampire romance). Fittingly, ETERNITY is about witches, and it's really unfortunate for this book that I happened to be watching Hocus Pocus around the
Dianne
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Rating: 3.5 Stars!

He died trying to save her from the hangman’s noose. Raven was accused of witchcraft, hung and died, only to be “reborn” with the gift of eternal life. Duncan, a mortal priest saw something in the girl’s eyes that called to him as he watched her neck break. His compassion killed him, but she lived on for three hundred years, searching for his soul to return. Will this time around be enough to prove these soulmates can find their happily ever after? They were still strangers,
Yodamom
2- the story idea was nice about two people who time and death could not separate. The idea was nice I just thought the story stuttered a faulted for me. First I really dislike tales of witch hunts, mob mentality gone stupid and just plan ignorance. *This book had all three. I got uninterested and found myself skimming pages through the horrible history parts, the back ground of the white art/darks arts, and many more. The Native American bit was thrown in there so random and incomplete it was d ...more
Amanda
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book as a freebie from Amazon and it was a very enjoyable read. While the love story between Raven and Duncan was the main focus of the novel it was the historical aspect of the witch trials in both the UK and US that intrigued me the most. I felt that there was a lot of research undertaken that helped make the the whole story feel very real. As someone who has a Wiccan in their family I felt that Maggie Shayne's representation of the old religion to be sensitive and compassionate. I ...more
Andrea
Eternity is the second book I’ve read by Maggie Shayne (the other being ‘Texas Homecoming’), and by now I think it’s safe to say that her books just aren’t for me. I can’t exactly pinpoint why, but both books just didn’t suck me in, and in both cases I got bored, skimmed an awful lot, and just gave up at some point. The story itself was actually interesting, and should’ve made me care a lot about the characters, but for some reason it just didn’t happen.
Raven St. James awakens next to her mother
Hollie
This was such a unique paranormal witch tale. Here's my breakdown:

Pros:
* Solid characters
* Great writing style
* Offered as a freebie
* Really sweet romance

Cons:
* It became repetitive at times, especially during "Part 2" of this read

Overall, I was impressed with this book and will definitely check out book 2 in the series.
Julie
OMG! I LOVED THIS BOOK! TRUE ROMANCE AT ITS GREATEST. THE STORY IS TOLD FROM THE VIEWPOINT OF MULTIPLE CHARACTERS IN FIRST PERSON. THE STORY IS TOLD SO ELOQUENTLY IT IS "BEWITCHING." THIS HERO AND HEROINE HAVE A LOVE FOR ALL TIME. A KEEPER, TO BE READ OVER AND OVER, ESPECIALLY FOR ANY WHO ARE WICCAN AND/OR WITCHCRAFT BELIEVERS/FOLLOWERS.
Melissa
Oct 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
This book should probably be three stars instead of four. Predictable, formula, been done, but I enjoyed it. OK? It was a fun read. Immortal witches, time travel, treachery, and some steamy romance and a hot Scottish dude, but do all Scottish hotties have to have the last name Wallace? Overall an enjoyable bit of escapism so four stars but don't expect great literature, just a fun story.
Betty
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Raven St. James lives with her mother who is a local 'healer'. The town has been fighting a plague. Raven's mother was unable to save her own husband from the plague and is mourning him. Her sister-in-law comes to the house and demands that she heal her son. Since Raven's mother is unable to heal the son her siter-in-law accuses her of being a witch. The town's folk grab Raven and her mother and get ready for a hanging which takes place the next morning.
The author builds wonderful characters g
Leann
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone, Witch fans, Paranormal fans, Romance fans, Maggie Shayne fans
I loved this book! I couldn't put it down!

It shares the typical moral of "You don't know what you have until it's gone"

You're following Raven St. James on her journey. She finds family that she felt she'd lost. She grew as a person/witch. She fell in love and fights to keep it alive even after 300 yrs.

Witches normally aren't my thing. This however made them "my thing" as long as they're Maggie Shayne's. The more I read of her the more I love her works.
Jenn Doyle
Sep 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Would rate this at about a 3.8. Read this about ten years ago and apparently I'm no longer the die-hard romantic I used to be. While it was a pretty quick read I had no trouble putting it down to get other stuff done. There was a ton of saccharin romance that turned me off, but the plot is really interesting. Favorite character in this book is Arianna, who just happens to be the heroine of the next book :)
Priscilla
Jul 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so good! I had a very difficult time putting it down. I kept turning the pages wanting to know what happened next! I have not done this in a long time. Ms. Shayne wove a wonderful story around actual historical events, bringing those events to life.
Tina
One of my all time fav/keeper romance. I bring this book out to reread over and over when I want a emotional, tear-jerker love story.
Jacquelyn Smith
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
A beautiful story of a love that endures through out time
Clare O'Beara
This story of immortal witches in Scotland seems to be based on the Highlander theme. To start we don't know they are immortal and possibly the author made it up as she went along to explain a jump to today's time for the second half.
The author starts in 17th century Scotland but she doesn't know the difference between stocks and pillories. Stocks were when the prisoner sat and was held by boards over and under the ankles, chained or bolted in place. Pillories were when the prisoner had to put
Eliza Leone
Historical, magical, and ultimately wonderful!

3 Stars
Series: Book 1: Immortal Witches
Characters: Raven and Duncan
Setting: Europe, New World - Maine
Mature Themes: Rape, murder, violence, sex

Recommendation: The witch trials were brutal and Eternity does little to hide that, if you’re into historical fiction, this does have a nicely woven in connection. There are some violent deaths and though not extremely graphic, something to note. All of the romance, historical, and magical aspect were combined
Linda
Nov 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eannatum Was The Future King Of Lagash And Studied Hard, But His Fellow Student's Did Not Want Any Part Of The Boy Who Would Be King, His Only Friend Was The Girl Who Was Abandoned On The Temple Steps As A Babe And While He Was Groomed To Become The Next King She Was Groomed To Be The Priestess, He Had Guards So They Had To Sneak To Their Special Place To Play So They Could Be Children Without The Prying Eye's Of The Guards And The Priestess Lia. Eventually, Natum Made A Pact With Nibada To Teac ...more
Birgit
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Raven, a witch, discovers she is immortal, i.e. coming back from death again and again. She falls in love with Duncan, who dies trying to save her. Duncan's mentor, Nathanael, an evil witch, pursues Raven because he needs her heart to prolong his own life and enhance his powers.
300 years later, fate (and a couple of well placed spells) lead the three of them to the location of Raven's last death for the final confrontation.
A good plot, sympathetic characters, but for me, something was missing to
Heather
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I wish I could give this 10 stars! 5 just doesn't seem like enough.

This book has far surpassed expectations. I admit that I started reading it a bit skeptically - I did not think I liked stories about witches and never had any interest in reading them. However, all that has now changed with Eternity. The plot is so original and creative, the characters are dynamic and exciting and even though I just finished the novel, I already miss them. The characters are an exciting realistic blend of extrao
Bookmom
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Romance originally released back in the 90s about a young woman in the late sixteen hundreds who discovers after she’s been killed, that she’s an immortal witch, and that there are two kinds of immortal witches. And the evil ones need her heart to give them more power.

Raven is about to be hung as a witch when she first meets Duncan, a young priest who feels an immediate connection to her and does his best to prevent it.

I’d read this series when it was initially released so long ago and jumped
Tanya
What a amazing book ! I can't believe I have never come across this series or author before.
Raven and her mother are set to die at the gallows accused of witchcraft. The plague has claimed many , and local townsfolk believe they are the cause,
Duncan Wallace , a priest in training protests the hanging. Duncan and Raven see each other .... and time stands still , a connection has been made ... a heartbeat , a breathe .... a soul searching. The lever is pulled and Raven's neck is snapped. Death is
Dawn
Mar 25, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Michelle Leah Olson
I am breathlessly wowed!
I have read A LOT of Maggie Shayne books and have loved every single one, so hearing Maggie say that Eternity was "the single best novel I have ever written" both did and did not surprise me.
After finishing the book though, I can sort of see where she's coming from...
Wings in the Night will always hold a very special place in my heart, and I stand my assessment that The Portal series is epic. This book, however, is truly something special and will be one I will read way m
Anjanet Mort
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-fun
This was an entertaining book. No literary award winning book, but a pleasurable book that kept me reading on my bus ride home from work. I was sad to see it end...ready to read another!

The writing in this book was great. Although "mystical", I never said..."Are you kidding me?" The main characters are very well developed; you really know "who" they are, and they reacted appropriately to their character in the different situations and conversations in the story.

There is a big time gap in the sto
Jackie Lynn
RE-READ 5/4/15: 4.5 stars! I love paranormal books, especially ones that involve some sort of past lives. I find it even more romantic to love someone so much not only in one life, but all of them. I do know that I jut wanted to smack those crazy people from the 1600's when they sprouted all this crap about witchery. Such fools!

A very different kind of witch story, but it had a nice sense of history to it, but a lot of action along with a deep everlasting love. I loved the series very much.
Traci
This was an amazing, free book! I'm so glad I stumbled across it. I can't wait to read more in the series. I loved the historical part and it's connection to actual witch trials, including Salem. It was such an original concept (for once!)

Only CON: could have been edited again! There were a lot of missing quotations at the beginning of a quote. Some words were spelled wrong every time: softly = softy; father = rather. It didn't take away from the story, but was really noticeable.
Emily
I loved this book! I've always been a fan of the love through the ages formula and this book did not disappoint. I was hesitant to buy another Maggie Shayne book after reading some of her vampire novels, but I'm glad I gave her another try.

I was also impressed with the amount of detail brought in about the old ways, or Wicca. Of course, at the end of the book when I read the author bio it said she's a High Priestess so that made sense.

Infinity was good, too. :D
Heidi
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: witches
I liked the characters a lot. There wasn't a whole lot of performing magic going on. It was more of an eternal love story. There were some things that needed editing. On the whole I liked the book, I just really am not into love stories right now. It had enough adventure to keep me reading. I really wanted to know what was going to happen next with Raven, Duncan, Nathaniel, and Arianna.
Angela
Apr 06, 2013 marked it as tbr-lost-interest
14 April 2014: I already have the first three books in this series, but there's a box set right now for $0.99 on Kindle: Eternal Love: The Immortal Witch Series
Jschiersch
We all live in a world of good and evil, no less those among us who possess special powers as witches. Raven St. James only learns her true power when she and her mother are accused of witchcraft in England in the 1600's. But Raven learns that the Dark Side will forever hunt her for the powers her own beating heart can give them--the heart she has pledged to one man throughout time.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 14, 2015 11:12AM

• Strangers In The Night (Wings in the Night, #4)
  • Witch Way Bends (Bend-Bite-Shift Trilogy, #1)
  • Angel's Kiss
  • Taken (Channie, #2)
  • KISS OF AN ANGEL
  • The Ravening (Blood Moon, #3)
  • Perfect Evil
  • Rage and Redemption (Rebel Angels, #1)
  • The Red Order (Order of the Seers, #2)
  • Fated
  • Some Day Somebody
  • The Mistress of Trevelyan (Trevelyan #1)
  • Captured
  • The 13th
  • Ninth Crossing: Discovery
  • Dance With A Gunfighter
  • Summer's Storm (The Graistan Chronicles, #2)
  • The Chalice and the Blade (Chalice Trilogy, #1)
I live in the teeny, tiny town of Taylor, NY, (Alliteration Alert!) though my mailing address is Cincinnatus, my telephone exchange is Truxton and I pay taxes and vote in Cuyler. All of these are at least in the same rural county in the southern hills of New York State; Cortland County. There are more cattle than people here. The nearest “big” cities are Syracuse and Binghamton and they are an hou ...more

The Immortals (4 books)
  • Immortality (Immortal Witches, #0.5)
  • Infinity (Immortal Witches, #2)
  • Destiny (Immortal Witches, #3)
“Do not cry for me, Raven. Dying is part of living, a birth into a new life. You know this.” 1 likes
“In some previous lifetime, my daughter, you died while attempting to save the life of another witch. Because of this, you were born into this lifetime with the gift of immortality. But this is only one of two ways that gift can be passed on.” 1 likes