Start by marking “The Scarlet Tessera” as Want to Read:
The Scarlet Tessera

The Scarlet Tessera

In the heat of the city summer, London's Underground system is brought to a halt by a trail of bodies carrying the unmistakeable mutilations of The Circle Line Killer — a notorious serial killer responsible for a chain of murders nineteen years earlier. A killer who was never caught.

DCI Claire McMullen, part of the original team that failed to catch the killer first time r
Published August 20th 2012 by Black Art Publishing Limited

To ask other readers questions about The Scarlet Tessera, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scarlet Tessera

Start your review of The Scarlet Tessera
Jen Scarrott
Mar 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read a book like this in years - psychological thrillers I thought I had left behind in my 20's, and once I had kids even the thought of the thought could send my brain into overdrive with fretting.
However, having embarked on the first page, and a resolve to read in daylight and not last thing at night, I started the dark path that lead me into the underground system of London, and the darker thoughts of an insidious mind.

A definite page turner, finished with relish.

Reminicent of the
Lee Holz
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Scarlet Tessera is a tour de force, a first rate British police procedural, a psychological study of criminal pathology and a fast paced thriller, rolled into one. It features one of the sickest, most sadistic and clever killer in crime fiction. It also has the most original plot I’ve read in a long time. It is a satisfying and enjoyable read for those who love the genre and have a strong stomach and nerves.
Marti
Feb 23, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is by a member of the Psychological Thrillers group of Goodreads. This book made a nice change from being about CHILDREN being kidnapped, tortured and killed by the 'monster,' these were women he chose, and it seemed as though no one would be able to stop him. Joe and Claire, the police officers worked well together, but Maria was quite significant. This killer got off on tattooing symbols and numbers, and shaving the heads of his victims before they got the Rohypnol and Heroin overdos ...more
Janet
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2013
I really enjoyed this book. Kept me on edge.
Julia
Feb 18, 2013 rated it liked it
I just finished reading The Scarlet Tessera. I am still not sure how I feel about it. Some parts of the book were great. The killer was very creepy and menacing. He remained one step ahead of the police throughout the book. I also liked Maria, the only victim of the killer who was let go.

The police, Claire and Joe, are likable characters. But they seemed a little one dimensional to me. Even though attempts were made to give them a back story and bring in their family, I still didn't connect wit
Feb 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am not sure if this is a first novel, or if Mr Lorr has others, but I really enjoyed it. From the first page I was hooked, constantly waiting to see what the next twist in the plot would be. I found Claire to be cold and not very likable, where as Joe I liked from the start, the killer had them running around like headless chickens, not sure where to go next or what to expect. I would recommend this to all fans of thrillers a great read, I look forward to more from Julian Lorr.
Candice
Feb 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book, a nice mix of Thomas Harris villain and the gritty setting and puzzling adventure of Se7en. Cant wait for the second one!
Kathy Floyd
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Good book!

I liked this book because it had a different way of going about solving the murders. Keeps you guessing up until the end.
Frenchie
Jun 01, 2013 rated it liked it
My Amazon.co.uk review:

The Scarlet Tessera started well, in my opinion. Even though it was very scary, as some scenes were very violent. The problem I had with it as I read along is that team meetings and the dialogues felt a bit stiff, not very spontaneous.

And I did not really feel any empathy or sympathy with the characters. I felt the author did not totally manage to make Maria a convincing survivor of the serial killer and even though we know what she went through. I could not understand h
Patricia
Oct 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
A series of murders occur on or near the London underground transit system-- is it a copycat or is a new killer on the loose. The officers of the Met soon realize that it's the same person who murdered women 19 years ago The killer seems to be one step ahead of the police and they're anxious to catch him before any more women are kidnapped, tortured and killed. The police don't always follow procedure--warrants, unauthorized searches. The f**k is used a lot..

A tessera is a token or invitation -
Mandie Lowe
Apr 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Certainly not bad as far as police procedural thrillers go, but hardly groundbreaking. There were some good moments of suspense, but I did get a bit bored by the psycho killer's insane rants.

The Kindle version I read could do with some proofreading, with the errors increasing after the 70% mark. I noticed typos like "alot" and the word "sort" used instead of "sought". Some sentences also didn't make sense.

The pace throughout the story was good, but I do feel that the book could use some editing
Marcie
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
British serial killer investigation that becomes terrifyingly personal to the investigation team. The last chapter/epilog killed it for me. After all the violence and graphic depictions, the way the story swung from focusing on the detectives to focusing on one victim I had pretty much had it. The only reason I finished it was to understand WHY a person would commit such crimes. The epilogue was a copout as far as I am concerned. There was no real closer with the main characters and the five yea ...more
Michael Brookes
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a pretty good story about the hunt for a serial killer in London who has returned after a 19 year absence. I enjoyed the story, although I would have liked a bit more of the killer's back story. The investigation is well paced, with the required twists and turns along the way.

The writing is good and pulls you through the story. The killer has a few good tricks up his sleeve that keeps things lively. All in all it was a good read.
Sarah Oder
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!!!

I didn't want it to end. I couldn't put this down from start to finish. I wanted to know what would happen next and when I found out I was shocked and then I would be crying or laughing by the next chapter. It had so many twists and turns and it was a mind f in the best of ways lol. I definitely recommend if you like sick thrillers of the psychological nature. You won't be disappointed
Larmie Fahrendorff
Jul 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
Could not finish this book

I simply could not finish this book. The macabre butchery of females was simply over the top. It must take a sick mind to write a book of this nature. I realize that such sadism exists in this world but it need not be described repeatedly in a book for the purpose of profit. I would not recommend this book to anyone.
Rosemary
Jun 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Accident
  • Lullaby Girl
  • Sycamore Row (Jake Brigance, #2)
  • THE SUNSET MURDERS (THE INSPECTOR CHARRINGTON MYSTERIES Book 3)
  • Hold My Hand
  • Deadly Protector (Federal Paranormal Unit #4)
  • No Time To Run (Michael Collins, #1)
  • Wednesday's Child (Inspector Banks, #6)
  • Gallows View (Inspector Banks, #1)
  • The Royal Baths Murder (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries, #4)
  • Blood at the Root (Inspector Banks, #9)
  • The Coal Killer
  • Prophecy
  • Dead Man's Footsteps (Roy Grace, #4)
  • Dead Man's Grip (Roy Grace, #7)
  • Strange Air
  • Snow Fallen
  • Stronger Than Death: DI Jake Sawyer Book Two
After 15 years as a lawyer, I am now a writer and teacher. Working with young people has reinforced for me how important it is for creativity to be encouraged without fear of criticism. Creativity is, after all, something inherent in all of us. Regrettably, we have created an education system that places less and less focus upon it... and yet it is the one thing future societies will require above ...more

News & Interviews