Start by marking “Between” as Want to Read:
Between

Between

When a supernatural freak of nature forces her family to separate, seventeen-year-old Charlie Page must turn to her frustrating (yet gorgeous) neighbor, Seth, to help reunite them. Seth whisks Charlie to Ellauria—a magical world filled with the creatures of myths and legends—and tells her of the Fellowship, the group charged with protecting mystical beings from human ...more
Published July 29th 2014 by Spencer Hill Press

Start your review of Between
Molly Mortensen
Point of View: First, Present tense (Like Hunger Games)

Source: NetGalley

Predictability: 4 out of 5 (Where 1 is George RR Martin (If the characters make a plan or think about the future I know it isn’t going to go that way.) And 5 is Cinder (where I guessed what was going to happen long before it did, but it was still a great book.)

My Rating: 8/10 Stars

Don’t read the official summary! It details the entire novel and I’d rather go into a book blind. (Read mine instead ;)

My Summary:

Charlie, (short
Jennie Shaw
Jan 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5

If you follow Megan Whitmer on Twitter (which you totally should) then you know she’s one of the funniest gals out there. So when she announced the release of her debut novel, BETWEEN, I just knew that I’d have to read it. And holy sheet, am I ever glad I did.

The story starts right away, which is always great, and soon, I was introduced to the Between—a place that’s between the mortal world and the magical realm. Megan was super freaking smart to make her MC, Charlie, an artist, because her
Dahlia
I've already been lucky enough to read AND LOVE this fantastic book but I can't wait to get the final version in my hands!
Eileen Souza
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Between delivered! This book had it all – a compelling story, intriguing characters, heroes, snark, and magic.

I’ve had this one on my To Read list for over a year, and that always makes me a bit nervous, but this book didn’t disappoint. Between was a page burner. It grabbed your attention right from the beginning, and gave you just enough info to hook you – and want to know what was really going on.

I love Charlie. In so many YA novels, the female protagonist starts the story as weak, or clumsy,
Kelsey Macke
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love Megan. This isn't news. Now, however, I love Megan AND her book.

Okay, so I don't read much fantasy, however, this book truly captivated me and I read it in under 2 days. It has all of the modern snark, wit, and swoony-ness that I know and love from Contemp and ALSO all of the awesome world-building and totally engaging and immersive storytelling that makes good fantasy good.

Megan's characters are amazing and funny and flawed in the best ways, and I found myself genuinely invested in what
Jaye
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hilarity, magic, adventure, BRUTALLY TORTUOUS near kisses, and every mystical creature you could ever imagine. This debut will appeal to fantasy lovers who like a splash of real world and romance in the mix. Charlie also only swears with hysterical made-up curses (motherfluffers!) so this book, though classified as YA, will be great for the tween crowd as well. A fun debut!
Maggie Hall
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Laugh-out-loud funny, swoony, and magic-filled. Charlie Page is a heroine I wanted to hang out with well after the book ended, and Seth is a love interest I wanted to...well. That's all I'll say. :)

If you like sweet, funny fantasy, you can't go wrong with this book!
Jessica
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Wow, what an adventure! 4.5 shining stars! Loved loved loved it! I really hope there will be more Seth, Kieran and Charlie. Even at just 30% into the book the fear of this being a stand alone struck me. I wanted more LOL And I really hope there is!
Marieke
I was lucky enough to read an early version of this AMAZING book. Loved the wonderful, snarky characters. I can't wait to get my hands on the final copy!
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
In short, you don't need this book in your life the way you need say, a dream with Robert Sheehan, not missing out on the gloriousness of his accent.

You also don't need it like I need a Scottish or Irish accent.

And you certainly don't want it in your life like you want the test results of the Trig test you messed up because you can't read. And that, far as I'd be concerned were I you, says it all.

But that's just my measly, lacking experience talking shit.

Basically, if you want the following
Ashley
Jun 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Farrah
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely wonderful YA fantasy, Between was a fantastic read. With entertaining wit, sweet romance, intriguing magic, and a few surprises along the way, this book was great and I totally loved it!

Charlie was a lovely heroine. She was strong and fiercely loyal to those she cared about. Even in a totally new world where she constantly faced danger, she held her own. However, she did have a habit of being frustratingly reckless, often giving the impression that she was more concerned with
Tawney
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Between was a beautiful YA fantasy that I couldn’t put down. I love the wit that Megan wrote in this story. With Romance and magic Between hooked me at the first page.

Charlie is our main character and boy she’s a great heroine! She thinks on her own and makes her own decision. She has guts and takes charge. Then there’s Seth, who’s loyal to those he cares about and protects them the best he can. I love the relationship between Seth and Charlie.

Megan’s writing is very descriptive and I felt that
Kyleigh
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
I really enjoyed this book. review to come hopefully!
Pili
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was quite excited about this book when I first heard about it, and so I both preordered it and requested an ARC via NetGalley. I got approved for the ARC after release day, (thank you Spencer Hill Press!!) and that was the final push to move this one up on my reading list!

Charlotte (Charlie) Page and her twin brother Sam are enjoying their own quiet celebration of their birthday, when a strange creature comes out of nowhere and causes their world to change radically. Sam and their mum become
Liza Wiemer
Thank you to Spencer Hill Press for the review copy.

Cover: - Awesome - The designer nailed it! It fits the novel to the tee. I love the graphics, colors, font!

The novel: Love anything that has to do with magic and magical creatures? Then this is the novel for you. Charlie Page, an artistic teenager, quickly discovers that all is not normal in her world. As a matter of fact, she's thrust into a world (Ellauria) she didn't even know existed. As readers, we get to discover a whole new world of
Once
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it

OUaT's Review

Deitre
Aug 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
That moment where you open a book, begin to read a book, that immediately connects you to characters and setting, yearning to read more. Now that’s my kind of read! Between, opens up with a modern day declaration of love and connectedness between a brother and sister, twins. Charlotte and Sam are artistic in their own unique way. One specializes in visual Arts, the other music. Life is going smoothly, living with their mother, now a single parent. However the world that they think they live in, ...more
Zili
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it

I featured Between as a previous W.O.W. post because the premise, blurb and cover excited me. I'm glad to say it didn't disappoint!

Main character Charlie (Charlotte) finds herself being thrown headfirst into a difficult and strange situation and doesn't know who to trust. Charlie has to flee to the Between, where she learns about magic and all things mythological. Even though she's suddenly surrounded by the unknown and magical (a few teenage bratty moments aside), she deals with it all well.
Jessie Potts
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: july-2014

Why you should read it: This is fantasy YA at its best, and I loved traveling through Ellauria and in the ins and outs of the Fellowship. Megan has created a complete world full of magic, creatures, power growing in Charlie. Charlie is also one of my favorite heroines, she's so strong and full of life. Her evolution isn't from weak girl to strong woman, but strong girl into a powerful woman. I also loved the descriptions of the creatures. Readers are in for a treat (if you are of the
Kelli
Jun 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was just so much fun to read! Of all the fantasy realms Ellauria and the Between would be my favorite. This author writes beautifully! The descriptions and imagery in this book are amazing! I loved the characters which are well developed. The main character Charlie is very likeable and at times hilarious. The chemistry between her and Seth is sweet and they really complement each other. I really liked every other character in this story and all the magic and mystical creatures were a ...more
Kristen Lippert-Martin
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic fun! That's what this book is. I don't want to give away the nature of Charlie's paranormal abilities, but it's a premise I've never seen before. I kept trying to think of a book I'd compare it to and the closest I can get is: "A mash-up of Harry Potter and the Mortal Instruments, with a dash of Kiersten White cheekiness."

An unduckingbelievably* good read!

*you'll get that joke after you read the book
Amy Burton
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I finished it in two days and can't wait for book 2 in this series. The storytelling is vividly descriptive and I hated to put it down. If you are a fan of young adult literature, this is a must-read. Kudos to Megan Whitmer - what an amazing first novel!
Megan Whitmer
Kissed by Ink
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Holy sheet! BETWEEN is an awesome read! There's magic and romance, with a side of fantastic voice. Megan Whitmer has created a realm so vivid and beautiful, the reader can't help but want to be a part of it. This is a must read!!!
Crystal
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
No complaints. Loved the characters. Loved the story. Really hoping this is just the beginning of a series, because I need more.
Jenny Kaczorowski
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've read any early version and cannot wait to see this in print! Fantastical snark and sweet romance! Megan is a master.
Brinkley Brown
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love! If you enjoy YA fantasy, this is the book for you! Hooked from chapter one! Character depth and story opportunity are endless. Can not wait for book two!
Sharon
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
A great start to the series! review to come.
Christina
My original review for this title can be found here on The Book Hookup.

**SPECIAL NOTE:** An eARC of this title was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. However, that did not influence this review in any way. All thoughts, quotes, and opinions will be of this version and not of the published edition.

Quick Thoughts and Rating: 3.5 stars! As of late, I’ve neglected the supernatural for fantasy and contemporaries, so this was a fun place to reconnect with new
Michelle
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
My Review:
I picked up this book at BEA in 2014 and loved the cover and the synopsis was so interesting I knew that I had to read it soon. Well it took me longer than I would have liked but I am so glad I read it.

Charlie (Charlotte) can be a tad bit annoying but I honestly loved her. I felt for her and everything that was happening, I can feel her confusion and knew she loved her family and just wanted them back with her. Her relationship with her mom and brother was sweet so when they go
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Blitzed Book ...: Discussion Questions! December 2018 2 3 Jan 23, 2019 08:47AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Sep 10, 2015 06:21PM

• Ariana: The Trilogy
  • The Tyrant's Tomb (The Trials of Apollo, #4)
  • I Say, You Say Feelings!
  • Garfield Hits the Big Time (Garfield, #25)
  • Where Do Balloons Go?
  • Camp Half-Blood Confidential (The Trials of Apollo, #2.5)
  • No Such Thing as Dragons
  • The Wizard Test
  • Looker
  • When We Were Worthy
  • The Reckless Oath We Made
  • The Silent Wife
Megan Whitmer lives in Kentucky with her family. She loves all things Southern, and has a soft spot for football, kissing scenes, and things that sparkle. Aside from her personal blog, she's also a contributing blogger for www.YAmisfits.com, www.allthewritenotes.com, and www.herkentucky.com. When she's not writing, Megan spends her time drinking absurd amounts of Cherry Coke Zero and wishing ...more
“The ability of mixing sweetness with sarcasm, to the point that the other person has no idea if I'm being rude or not. It's an art really - charlie” 3 likes