Start by marking “Dance for the Land” as Want to Read:
Dance for the Land

Dance for the Land

3.33  ·  Rating details ·  12 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
When twelve-year-old Kate, who is half-white, moves to Hawaii with her brother and father, she becomes a victim of racial prejudice but also learns the meaning of her middle name.
Published April 1st 1999 by Atheneum Books

To ask other readers questions about Dance for the Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dance for the Land

Lessa
Dec 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hawaiian-kidlit
Much better than I thought it was going to be. It was interesting to see contemporary Hawaiian politics brought to light from an "outsider's" voice. I also really enjoyed the inner struggle the hapa girl felt and her struggle within the islands to have her skin accepted since she can't bleed for them to prove her ancestry. More thoughts will be posted to my blog
Becky-Marie
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, hawaii
The book says it's for ages 10-14 ( in fact the copy I have used to belong to a high school library) and the story is told from the point of view of a 12 year old girl, it's also a fairly short read (easily read in a day or two). But I should point out that it does have a few swear words and a lot of Hawaiian words that some younger reader's could possible struggle with.

The book is about hula but if you love any sort of dance then I think you would enjoy it. The other main plot line of the book
Courtney Johnson
Jan 18, 2016 rated it liked it
This was an ok book. I enjoyed reading about the experience of Hawaii, yet had a hard time understanding some words written in the hawaiian way. I thought the ending was good. I couldn't really picture anyone in my head and I didn't even know that the main character was 12 until about halfway through the book. I don't think I would read this again, but for a one time read it was pretty good.
Caroline
May 28, 2008 rated it liked it
I loved this book because i am a dancer and i could relate to the different types of dance. I also loved the different side of hawaii it showed.
Maggie P
Michelle
Feb 10, 2018
MayorEmma
Mar 27, 2018
Clemence McLaren was born in New Jersey on November 3, 1938 to Edward Dobson, an engineer, and Grayce Berg Dobson. She attended Rutgers University from which she received a degree in 1960. In the same year she married Robert McLaren. Together, the couple had two children, Kevin and Heather.

For a number of years she and her husband taught overseas. During this time they built a cottage on a small G
More about Clemence McLaren
“Hawaiians believe a baby's name should tell you what that person will grow up to be.” 0 likes
“Kate had thought hula was something for tourists, girls in plastic skirts dancing to will songs about tiny bubbles in the champagne. Mehana's hula was different-a way of telling stories without words, a kimd of body poetry.” 0 likes