Start by marking “In Search of Ireland” as Want to Read:
In Search of Ireland

In Search of Ireland

Originally published in 1930, this book is a collection of witty and heart warming tales from the authors travels around Ireland. It is very clearly written with a huge fondness and is accompanied by picturesque photographs. 'I would like to hope that this book of mine may help, in no matter how small a way, to encourage English people to spend their holidays in Ireland an ...more
Paperback
Published by Hesperides Press (first published April 1984)

To ask other readers questions about In Search of Ireland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Search of Ireland

Start your review of In Search of Ireland
Julie  Durnell
Another excellent travelogue by Morton! His way with words and descriptive narrative make you see the sights and people of Ireland as though you were his traveling companion; so helpful the endpaper maps are in tracking his progress around the island. Looking forward to the two Scotland books and more of the England books!
Ron Caves
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ireland
An English journalist tours Ireland 10 or so years after independence and muses on Irish history, identity and character and how it compares with that of England. Some passages are now rather dated, often quaintly so, but the book still resonates.

A favourite quote from the book, particularly as it springs from a description of the Mountains of Mourne, the stomping ground of my youth:
"I have often wondered during my travels in Ireland whether this country would have produced so many saints had sh
Allysha Lavino
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous window into history as well as a guide to the beauty and culture of Ireland. A great travel guide for anyone wishing to visit the Emerald Isle.
Catherine Jordan
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book. A copy had been gathering dust in my fathers house for years and recently I stayed the night and had nothing to read, so I picked it up and started it.... and what a delight it turned out to be.
As a reasonably well educated Irish person who had travelled a lot in my own homeland I thought I knew quite a lot about Ireland... but HV Morton (an Englishman, of all people!) taught me more about my own land than I think I learned at school. And in such a beautiful, fascinati
Gwen Harris
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
This account by an Englishman touring Ireland in the 1920s must have been very popular. I've been reading the 6th edition published in 1932 and see thru GoodReads that it was republished in the 1980s. It is charming in description of the countryside, the people, some history, and Irish ways - seemingly unbiased and even sympathetic (for an Englishman). In the book I've read the old black and white photos are intact. Whether this will be useful for a person planning travel remains to be seen. But ...more
Karen
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Early travelogue through Ireland, paints an accurate view of 1920s Ireland, exactly as Hibernia was when my Grandparents left the island. Fascinating,true,grim.
Seamus Field
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
paperback writer
Michelle
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love H.V. Morton, so right after I bought my plane ticket to Ireland, I bought this book.

Being one of his earlier works, it does contain several redundant passages, including multiple odd, annoying riffs on "primitive" country maids, and how different they are from the vain, fashion-obsessed women he encountered in London.

Nevertheless, it's a solid book overall -- a fascinating record of the Irish Free State, written in Morton's engaging, conversational style.
Richard Craig
Dec 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel, irish
Like all of Morton's books,he brings to life the peoples,places and customs he visits.He has a gift of melting into the background the people he observes seemingly unaware of his masterly presence.I am glad to boast that I own a first edition.This man sets the standard to which all other travelogue aspire.
Review by Richard.E.Craig
Olga
Aug 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful, informative and a kind of poetic book about Ireland!
Kith
Mar 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Путешествие отважного хоббита в страну фейри.
Pat Reilly

• Resistance
  • Sea Glass
  • Letters to Malcolm: Chiefly on Prayer
  • Tales of a Female Nomad: Living at Large in the World
  • Prisoners of Our Thoughts: Viktor Frankl's Principles for Discovering Meaning in Life and Work
  • The Inklings: C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, Charles Williams, and Their Friends
  • MONEY Master the Game: 7 Simple Steps to Financial Freedom
  • Shadows on the Rock
  • Somewhere Towards the End
  • Saskatchewan: A New History
Henry Canova Vollam (H. V.) Morton, FRSL, was a journalist and pioneering travel writer from Lancashire, England, best known for his prolific and popular books on Britain and the Holy Land. He first achieved fame in 1923 when, while working for the Daily Express, he scooped the official Times correspondent during the coverage of the opening of the Tomb of Tutankhamon by Howard Carter in Egypt.

In t