Start by marking “This Child of Mine” as Want to Read:
This Child of Mine

This Child of Mine

Sinéad Moriarty's breathtaking eighth novel, This Child of Mine, is the story of two daughters, two mothers and the extraordinary bond of motherly love. It's a unique blend of the storytelling genius of Jodi Picoult and the compassion and humour of Marian Keyes, in a complex and deeply involving story that will have readers arguing about the nature of motherhood and the ...more
Published January 29th 2013 by Penguin Ireland (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about This Child of Mine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Child of Mine

Start your review of This Child of Mine
Aoibhínn
This book is absolutely awful. The plot is too far-fetched and unbelievable. The writing style is extremely immature. It reminded me of the fan fiction twelve year olds write. The characters were poorly developed, one-dimensional, clichéd and did not behave in a realistic manner. Anna's holier-than-thou attitude was truly repulsive. The conversations between the characters did not seem real. The dialogue between the characters was forced and awkward throughout the entire book. The teenage ...more
Noeleen
Dec 07, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first time to read a book by this author. It will be my last. I only persevered because it is my book club read for this month, otherwise I would have given up after the first chapter. There was absolutely nothing I enjoyed about this read. I disliked the writing, the story and the characters. It was boring, repetitive and unrealistic. A waste of my money and time.
Liz Barnsley
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Penguin Ireland for the unexpected but welcomed review copy.

Sophie is a happy 18-year-old living in London with Anna, her Irish mother. Anna has devoted her life to Sophie. It may be just the two of them but Anna has more than enough love to give. Sophie has everything she could ever need.
Laura is a not-so-happy artist. She too has a daughter, Mandy. But Laura is haunted by the loss of her first child, Jody. Happy-go-lucky as she is, Mandy lives in Jody's shadow and wonders why her
Karen
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven’t read any of Sinéad’s books before so when Catherine of Penguin Ireland kindly asked me if I would like to review this, I jumped at the chance.

This is the story of two mothers – Laura and Anna, and their daughters. One woman had suffered more than her share of tragedy and the other was a teenager lacking any sense of responsibility and seeing her baby as a burden rather than a joy.

We then move forward 20 years or so and discover the devastating consequences of one woman’s actions.
Betty
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sinéad Moriarty has written yet another emotionally intense novel guaranteed to have you reaching for a box of tissues. This Child of Mine tells the story of two mothers, two daughters, and decisions made long ago that affected the course of all their lives.

There’s very little I can mention in this review that wouldn’t be a major spoiler, which makes this an extremely difficult review to write. Instead, I’ll make a few brief observations.

Personality-wise, Anna and Laura are complete opposites.
Megan Readinginthesunshine
I’ve enjoyed a few of Sinead’s previous novels, and so I was looking forward to reading this. It had been sat on my to-read pile, and I was so pleased when I was finally able to pick it up.

This book is very well written. I don’t feel I can talk about the plot line because I don’t want to give any of it away, and as you read the book you discover a bit more with each chapter, so all I can do is strongly urge anyone reading this to give This Child Of Mine a chance.

The blurb does not give much away
Anne
Oct 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has been well over six years since I read Sinead Moriarty's trilogy about Emma Hamilton; The Baby Trail, A Perfect Match and From Here To Maternity. I remember really enjoying the series, but for some reason I've not read any of her later novels. I've just finished This Child Of Mine, her eighth novel which was published in Penguin Paperback on September 26th 2013, and am wondering why/how I missed out on the others?

I was totally and utterly hooked by This Child of Mine from the very first
Kat
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sinead Moriarty is one of my favourite writers so when I found out she was bringing out a new book I was very pleased. The blurb at the back doesn't give much away and this made me even more intrigued to read it. The book is mostly written in the present tense of Sophie, Anna and Laura but does go back to Anna and Lauras past to explain the situation they've found themselves in.

My favourite character was Holly, who is Sophies best friend and is full of energy and life and gives great advice to
T.J. Fox
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was a little shocked after reading the last Sinéad Moriarty book to find that I genuinely didn’t like this one. Normally, if I like a book from an author, I will find I like others. Maybe to differing degrees, but still within a similar range. Not so in this case.

The main thing for me was that I could not, in any way like ANY of these characters. Anna was this perfect, infallible person but she never really truly admits to any wrong doing. Laura is a joke, horribly messed up, knows she is
Kirstie
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! It was such an easy, lovely read. I kept changing who I disliked the most, I can see both sides of the story but it is still wrong what happened but all the same it was lovely!
Trish at Between My Lines
This Child of Mine is an Irish chick-lit with engaging characters who do awful things but somehow manage to redeem themselves.

My Recap :

This Child of Mine is a story about motherly love; two mothers and one daughter, too many broken hearts and one big, ugly mess. I don’t want to say much more than that as it would be a spoilery.

My Thoughts:

My initial thought on this book is that both mothers Anna and Laura are at times lovely and at other times so wrong, so blind-sighted in their thinking
Amanda - Go Book Yourself
A review copy was provided by the publisher in return for an honest review

Warning this review may contain spoilers!

This child of Mine started off really well. Anna was a content women, infants with colourful backgrounds in the suburbs of Dublin. I had to actually stop reading this on the train because I was laughing out loud at the "Dublin Jackeen" humour. The kids were true to life and extremely funny. The nativity play is priceless and the writing, brilliant.

However I found that once Anna left
Lisa
May 19, 2013 rated it liked it
I was intrigued by this book from the beginning, as the blurb didn't give much away, and the opening chapters were indeed engaging and got me into the story. However, as I read on I was a bit disappointed that the overall plot line seemed to be very unrealistic. There were some very funny and relatable characters, but I didn't find the main characters very likeable.

The idea of a child going missing on a boat, and being presumed drowned, seems very far fetched. Surely there would have been some
Susan Angela Wallace
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This Child Of Mine By Sinead Moriaty is a women's fiction and general fiction (adult) read.
How far would you go to save a child?
Single mom Anna and her eighteen-year-old daughter Sophie have always got along like two peas in a pod. But for the past seventeen years, Anna has been keeping a dark secret from Sophie.
When Sophie sees a woman who is her spitting image on TV, talking about the loss of her daughter at sea, seventeen years earlier, her whole world is turned upside down.
Can she forgive
Jo Barton
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the emotional story of the bond between two mothers and two very different daughters. Sophie has been brought up in London by her adoring mother, Anna, whilst Mandy has been brought up in Ireland, by her arty mother, Laura. The story evolves gradually and the devastating consequences of long buried secrets are about to tear two families wide apart.

I found that this was a quick read , not because the book is light on content but because once I started to read , I really couldn't put the
Phyllis Wilt
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book from the first page to the last. When Anna loses a child after many miscarriages, has a failed marriage, she tries to. Make a new life for herself. She leaves her hometown, and is on a boat to London when she see a situation where a mother is passed out drunk and her baby is being neglected. She feels she has no other option than to rescue the baby. She raises the baby as her own, but after 17 years, the truth comes out. It is a struggle for Jody/Sophie between the ...more
Melissa Borsey
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review. I really enjoyed this wonderfully written, raw, emotional story. I thought the author did a great job laying out the background information for both "mother's" and I was able to sympathize with both in the end. All of the characters were so well done. It doesn't get anymore emotional or heartbreaking than this. I highly recommend this book!
Ruth Buckley
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Can't understand the bad reviews on this book, sure the outcome is not what would happen in real life but we need to remember its a story, a piece of fiction, for me this is the best SM book I have read, I was gripped with the story from the start right through to the end, loved it
Mary
Jul 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: irish-chic-lit
sinead one of my favourite author and this did not let me down. had worked it out quite early loved insight into laura and annas life loved Sophie and her relationship with mandy brilliant
Renita D'Silva
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful, emotional, heartbreaking, intense. Kept me engrossed until the very last word. Absolutely loved this amazing story.
Sharon
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, mystery
Bookouture and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of This Child of Mine. I was under no obligations to review this book and my opinion is freely given.

Laura was just a teenager when her daughter Jody was born, relying on her mother and brother to take care of the child so that she could continue her wanton ways. After tragedy takes the child away, will Laura find the strength to mature and change her life?

After Anna and her husband suffer the loss of several pregnancies, their world
Joan
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
I downloaded this novel as soon as I finished reading The Way We Were by the same author. I had enjoyed that one so much that I assumed I’d like other books by Moriarty. This one was quite a disappointment. The dialogue was so unnatural and stilted it was hard to read; kindergarteners spoke like vulgar teenagers; the teacher’s interaction with her students was laughable. The characters were unrealistic and cardboard. The basic plot has a lot of potential; it is a shame that the tone of the book ...more
Rachel Bullock
The blurb for this book makes it sound like it’s going to be some huge mystery, but it’s not. I seriously figured out the whole plot from the blurb. I kept plodding through, although I don’t know why. I guess I wanted to like it, but I just never did.

Most of the characters in this book are complete assholes. Especially Joan and Mandy. And Anna! Talk about pretentious! She was so judgmental about her students’ parents it was crazy. Also, I have worked with 4-5 year olds myself and while they’ll
Karin
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic read that asks so many questions- can you just take an abused child and run off with her? Even if you can give them the best life? Should a grandmother-to-be insist that her child keep a baby even though the daughter doesn't want to? How long should a person be blamed for a mistake? Is forgiveness possible? A story full of emotion and twists.

I found this by accident. I was looking for Lianne Moriarty's books and saw this one nearby and was pulled to the title and more
Bonnie Plante
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow what a book! I completely enjoyed this story of 2 women and the daughters that changed their lives. Though it took me a while to get into the story, by the mid way point, I couldn't read fast enough. The end, although fairly predictable, was extremely satisfying. I look forward to reading more from this author.
Carol
Nov 11, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
An appalling book, the start was the worse part, surprised I didn't give up on it, but I do hate not giving a book a chance. The relationships between the characters were so unbelievable and poorly written and so ridiculously argumentative.

It did get a little better towards the end and I was interested to know how it would end, but certainly cannot recommend.
Phyllis C Surface
Two stars

Although the book was supposed to tell a story, I believe it was way over done. Perhaps author felt it necessary to repeatedly retell the circumstances of the abduction throughout the book for some reason...but, I saw no point to that other than making book unnecessarily longer and redundant in many chapters.
Maureen Neylon
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I got very emotionally invested in this book - although far fetched, i could understand both mothers’ points of view. There were a wide range of characters - Holly and Mandy added humor to the dramatic storyline. I think being an adoptive mom made the storyline even more interesting and relatable.
Nancy Churchill
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was hard to put down. Very good story about 2 ladies going through their own trials. The way both of them found to cope wasn't always the best. It was good to show that by actually listening one might find out why one chose the actions they did.
Barb
Jan 29, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet

The story is interesting and gives insight into family and all it’s members. It could have been shorter, a lot of redundancy. But, if you want to read a sweet book between other more intense books you would enjoy this one.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Surrogate Mother
  • The Promise Seed
  • The Family Gift
  • We Can't Be Broken
  • The Things I Should Have Told You
  • Bye Baby
  • The Other Mother: A Woman's Love for the Child She Gave Up for Adoption
  • Davina's Kitchen Favourites: Amazing, sugar-free, no-fuss recipes to enjoy together
  • Who Gives Up Adorable Little Girls Anyway? (Tales of Adoption, #1)
  • Paper Chains
  • Before You Were Mine
  • Every Time a Bell Rings
  • The Model Wife
  • Keep You Safe
  • Cold Feet: The Lost Years
  • Lifelines (Angels of Mercy, #1)
  • A Million Dreams
  • Parting Words
Sinéad was born and raised in Dublin where she grew up surrounded by books. Her mother is an author of children’s books. Growing up, Sinead says she was inspired by watching her mother writing at the kitchen table and then being published. From that moment on, her childhood dream was to write a novel.

After university, she went to live in Paris and then London. It was at the age of thirty, while