Start by marking “Partner in Crime (J.P. Beaumont, #16 / Joanna Brady, #10)” as Want to Read:
Partner in Crime (J.P. Beaumont, #16 / Joanna Brady, #10)

Partner in Crime (J.P. Beaumont #16)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  5,273 Ratings  ·  245 Reviews
The dead woman on a cold slab in the Arizona morgue was a talented artist recently arrived from the West Coast. The Washington State Attorney General's office thinks this investigation is too big for a small-town female law officer to handle, so they're sending Sheriff Joanna Brady some unwanted help -- a seasoned detective named Beaumont. Sheriff Brady resents his intrusi ...more
Published July 29th 2003 by Avon (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Partner in Crime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Partner in Crime

Donna
Aug 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
There were things I liked about this book and things I didn't. So I think 3 stars would be fair. This is only my third J A Jance book. I like the Arizona small town setting and the author can create a great story. Those two things are always greatly appreciated.

I also like great characters. The main female MC was Joanna Brady, the sheriff of the town. I liked her for the most part. She is a great female character that can carry a story. However, I think that it is high time for her to progress
Kathy
Mar 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this one as an audio book... I liked the fact that a male read for the male protagonist and a female for the female protagonist. The 'crime' was not very well developed, but I nonetheless enjoyed the story. The relationships established through the process of capturing the killer kept the story moving forward.
Judy
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this partnering of Johanna Brady and J.P. Beaumont jointly solving a crime. Jance writes a good mystery. As I have been working my way through the Sheriff Brady series, I feel as though she is a real person. One of these days I'll try the Beaumont series, though they are set in Seattle and I'm not as familiar with that area as I am with Southern Arizona. And I do think the audio versions of this series are very good.
IslandRiverScribe
At the beginning of the prologue in this crossover novel between Jance’s Joanna Brady series and her J. P. Beaumont series, we meet a talented female artist, Rochelle Baxter, who is on the eve of her first-ever showing. This inaugural event just so happens to be scheduled at a gallery in Brady’s town of Bisbee, Arizona. And, by the end of that prologue, the woman is dead, murdered in a most ghastly and painful manner.

In the course of notifying the next of kin identified in the woman’s DMV record
Jerry B
Jul 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Her stars Beaumont & Brady united in Jance fan club Dream!

Think how much fun it would be if Grafton's Kinsey Millhone went to visit Paretsky's V.I. Warshawski and they solved a crime together. Jance has done it with her two leading characters! After 15 Seattle-based (Jance's home) Detective-extraordinaire J.P Beaumont stories, and 9 Arizona-based (Jance's former home) feisty Sheriff Joanna Brady stories, our author has brought the two crime solvers together in a suspenseful and complex plot
Megargee
Nov 28, 2014 rated it liked it
This is the first "crossover" of Jance's Joanne Brady and J. P. Beaumont series. It mostly takes place on Joanna's turf, Bisbee AZ where J. P. is sent by the Washington State Attorney General when one of their whistle blowing witnesses sent there for her own protection turns up dead, possibly a victim of homicide. The AG's refusal to disclose pertinent information angers the Sheriff who takes it out on Beau, who then decides to investigate on his own. Their conflict and its eventual resolution ...more
Keith
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book was not absolutely horrible but I can't think of much good to say about it. I guess there were a few interesting parts, but I never got into the story. I haven't read any other books by J.A. Jance so it is possible I am missing the depth of the characters because this is part of a series, although it seemed like the novel was written so it could stand alone. My major complaint is one of the two main characters: Sheriff Brady. Why is it that any time a woman is law enforcement that she ...more
Jenifer
Jul 30, 2008 rated it it was ok
This was an audio book that I wouldn't recommend, unless you really like a dramatized format. The two readers, one male and one female, were just a little over the top. I didn't like their affected voices or accents (the drunk guys were particularly bad). There were even sound effects like burping! The readers also switched off too often. When they were in conversation with each other it was like he said, she said. Ew.

I thought that this story just took itself too seriously. There was no humor o
Tulay
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story.

Two characters she writes about are met in this book, J. P. Beaumont works for Washington State Attorney General, send to Bisbee, Arizona to find out how the investigation to murder going. Sheriff Joanna Brady doesn't need anybody looking over her shoulder. She is described as latter-day Annie Oakley, she is trying to find the killer of very talented artist, they don't know much about her past. Rocky relationship with Beaumont from the beginning turns friendly and help each other
Beverly
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozies, mystery
One of the things that Jance is able to do is bring forth characters that the reader may not be able to relate to in their back stories, but the reader will no doubt be able to find something that brings these characters close. From the very beginning the reader of this series has followed the emotional ups and downs of Joanna Brady, her family, and her friends. Each one has grown and has managed to grow beyond the tragedies and the successes that have ruled their lives. This chapter in Joanna B ...more
Feb 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
Read this as it was next in the Beaumont series; had not read any of the Brady books prior. Prefer Jance's writing when it's in the first-person.

(view spoiler)
Joey
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the Joanna Brady series. I'm working my way through them. I like the main characters a lot. This one was a "combo" with J.P. Beaumont, the main character in another series. While the JPB character was interesting, I could have done without him in this Joanna Brady title. It was a little distracting having the two main characters in the same book. I'd rather they be separate. But the book was still very good.
Lewestover
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
The death in Arizona of a woman in the witness protection program of the State of Washington brings many challenges to Sheriff Brady, including "help" in the form of a detective from Washington. It is only through cooperation that the crimes are solved and the information "leaks" are brought to light.
Bobbi Foster
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book that has J.P. Beaumont and Joanna Brady. J.P. gets sent to Bisbee, Arizona, to help solve the murder of a person that is in witness protection. At first, sparks fly, but eventually they both work well together. I always enjoy J.A. Jance's books, and this one didn't disappoint.😊
Raoul Jerome
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Once again Jance has written a really good story. One thing unusual in this one is that the character of J. P. Beaumont speaks in the first person. Until now only Joanna has done that. I suppose I should have expected that since the title read "Partner in Crime", but this was the first time ever. Anyway the read was good and Joanna did what she was supposed to do as always.
Nancy Ellis
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this as part of the Sheriff Joanna Brady series, but it is also included in the J.P. Beaumont series because it features both characters. I am a devoted fan of Jance, and I really enjoyed having her introduce these two to each other. The body of a new artist in town is not who people thought she was. She was actually under the protection of the State of Washington Justice Dept., so they send Beaumont to "assist" in the investigation. After a shaky start, he and Joanna work well together t ...more
Susan K. McCown
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beaumont is a Winner

Another excellent and well written Beaumont mystery. Now retired as a homicide detective, Beau's new job has him traveling again to Arizona. Fast paced, great characters, and a real page turner.
Steven
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great story

Ending was kind of tame but still an interesting mystery. Still trying to figure who the partner in crime was. Not happy that Joanna Brady was thinking about another man.
Azariah Peterson
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the J.P. Beaumont series and mystery novels in general.
While it was certainly a fun read, Partner in Crime wasn't the perfectly seamless crossover I believe it could have been, it's only fault lying in the friction bringing J.P. Beaumont down into the gritty deserts of Arizona.
Greg
Jul 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
the mixing of the two told from both points of view was a good story
Ron
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well written. Happy to find a new arthur to read.
Lewis Smith
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well written, looking forward to reading more of her books.
Judy Green
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
UNC
Gerda Leek
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
good mystery story
Audrey Racine
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good novel although it did have some boring moments
Alexzander Camerlin
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-way-of-kings
it wasn't the best but is ok
Carol
First introduction of Beaumont & Joanna Brady. Fast paced & likable characters
Beverly Hunter
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nls-bard
I am enjoying the Brady/Dixon family.
Bev Hudson
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jance never fails to deliver a page-turner
  • Beneath the Ashes (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #7)
  • Wolf in the Shadows
  • Hunting Season (Anna Pigeon, #10)
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Tunnel Vision (V.I. Warshawski, #8)
  • The Fallen Man (Leaphorn & Chee, #12)
  • Desperate Measures (Barbara Holloway #6)
  • The Tekhen of Anuket (80AD, #3)
  • Cold Case (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #7)
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Seed, Volume 1
Judith Ann Jance is the top 10 New York Times bestselling author of the Joanna Brady series; the J. P. Beaumont series; three interrelated thrillers featuring the Walker family; and Edge of Evil, the first in a series featuring Ali Reynolds. Born in South Dakota and brought up in Bisbee, Arizona, Jance lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington, and Tucson, Arizona.

Series:
* J.P. Beaumont
* Joann
More about J.A. Jance...

J.P. Beaumont (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Until Proven Guilty (J.P. Beaumont, #1)
  • Injustice for All (J.P. Beaumont, #2)
  • Trial by Fury (J.P. Beaumont, #3)
  • Taking the Fifth (J.P. Beaumont, #4)
  • Improbable Cause (J.P. Beaumont, #5)
  • A More Perfect Union (J.P. Beaumont, #6)
  • Dismissed with Prejudice (J.P. Beaumont, #7)
  • Minor in Possession (J.P. Beaumont, #8)
  • Payment in Kind (J.P. Beaumont, #9)
  • Without Due Process (J.P. Beaumont, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Lost and Found (Rock Harbor Search and Rescue #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Light Before Day
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hold Still (Jocelyn Rush, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Still Waters (Sandhamn, #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Into the Light (The Light, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Burning Man (Gideon and Sirius, #1)
  • Disturbed
  • Cold Black Earth
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Drowned Girls (Angie Pallorino, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Guardians of the Night (Gideon and Sirius, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Man With the Golden Gun (James Bond, #13)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Belief (Emily Castles Mysteries)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
  • The Memory Child
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Finding Emma (Finding Emma Series Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lion, the Lamb, the Hunted
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Lucky Ones
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Gold (Night Soldiers, #5)
  • A Small Indiscretion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Allegedly
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Octopussy and the Living Daylights (James Bond, #14)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Bones (Red Princess, #3)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Flee (Codename: Chandler #1)
  • The Snow Garden
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hallowed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney #5)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • While the Savage Sleeps
  • The Technologists
  • A Density of Souls
  • Plea of Insanity
    $5.99 $0.99
  • Away from the Dark (The Light, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Missing, Presumed (DS Manon, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Use
  • The Husband
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Emma's Secret
  • She's Not There
  • Heart Collector
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Room with a Clue (Pennyfoot Hotel #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $2.00