Start by marking “Sass for Web Designers” as Want to Read:
Sass for Web Designers

Sass for Web Designers

(A Book Apart #10)

Let’s face it: CSS is hard. Our stylesheets are more complex than they used to be, and we’re bending the spec to do as much as it can. Can Sass help?

A reluctant convert to Sass, Dan Cederholm tells how he came around to the popular CSS pre-processor, and shares just what you need to take better control of your stylesheets (all the while working the way you always have). Fr
Published November 2013 by A Book Apart (first published January 1st 2013)

Loren
Nov 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: web-design
Great introduction to Sass for those who are wary of the command line or having your css fiddled with too much. You'll come away motivated to get started with Sass, as well as have some basic concepts to start working with.
jim
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great little book that gives the ins and outs of using Sass. Combined with Treehouse's Sass basics, I'm feeling comfortable about using this in new projects!
Jason
Jan 26, 2014 added it
I'm already an avid Sass user, so I didn't need convincing. Still I learned a couple of things about Sass that I didn't already know, like nesting property family declarations. I also have a better understanding of the & selector. If you already use Sass, there's not a lot here for you, but it's a nice, quick read that might teach you a little something you didn't already know.
Carmen
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, ebook, a-book-apart
I've become obsessed with Sass and have taken multiple courses from Treehouse about the preprocessor.

This book benefits those who haven't coded using Sass before and need to know what the differences are and how it improves CSS. I will say that there are a few moments that explained or gave better examples than what I've used before.

It's definitely a good read for Sass beginners.
Daniel Jewett
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Doesn't include much info on using _components/_partials (project organization,) but highly informative on the mechanics and functionality of SASS. Clearly organized and full of excellent, practical examples.
Nagham Al Halabi
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A really good short book that has a great introduction to SASS and its powers. Beginners will love it!
Jesse
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Solid, tight, and entertaining intro to Sass.
Victor
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So far I’m really impressed with this series. The book is concise, easy to read and understand. I like the passion in the author, the enthusiasm is definitely palatable throughout the book.
Anton Serdyuchenko
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book helps from setting up the environment to work with the basic functions of the language. For me, this book has become a great revelation that the process of writing styles can be optimized. Also a very useful description of the environment settings. I often have difficulty setting up the tool, so the author has helped me a lot. I was happy to apply some of the techniques from this book on my website. Maybe at the moment there have been no major changes in the process of my developm ...more
Nathan
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Exactly what it says on the tin. Like the other 'Books Apart', very concise and straight to the point. Easy to jump in. Dan writes with his typical easy style.

They are nice books, but very expensive. As this is more of a quick reference book (I polished it off in just over an hour), it's really not worth the money for print—just get the eBook.

The reason it doesn't get 5 stars is, although the concision is great for those daunted by Sass, it ends with a bit of a cop-out 'now go and explore for yo
Robert Thompson
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Sass for Web Designers proves once again, A Book Apart's series of self help books, get you to do more. I think that is the goal of self help books so I generally go for all their books.

This book had me shaking my fist in the air, not at anything thing the author implies(not really) but at the time I have wasted not already picking up the SASS process. After reading you'll see as I have that it will eventually shave hours of time off you CSS workflows and give you more time to do more interestin
Jan 02, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was a good starting point for understanding SASS and used a cute example throughout the chapters. I enjoyed the real-life examples Cederholm pointed to, but the subject matter was just a little too dry to love and leave understood to the degree I was hoping. But, that is kind of just the way it goes with a coding book. I learned more about SASS actually playing with it via tutorials and websites with browser-based IDEs. However, for someone who wants a reference at hand and doesn't hav ...more
Graham Herrli
This is a lightweight, informative book that doesn't say much of anything you couldn't learn by spending an hour on the Sass website. It covers installation and compilation and then explains the main features of Sass, including mixins, variables, and nesting, showing how each compiles into vanilla CSS. Toward the end, it gives some useful suggestions for advanced applications of Sass to simplify responsive media queries and variable-resolution image styles.
Kawai
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: geek
The 'A Book Apart' series does exactly what it purports to do: delivers fundamental information on the most important topics for contemporary web designers. This book is no exception. Sass is quick to learn, so one can argue almost any book would do the trick; but that would be an error. This book is well-designed and organized, hits all the major points, and gives clear and valuable examples. Highly recommended for readers looking for an introduction to sass.
Eystein
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
A straight forward introduction to Sass. And fairly short, about 120 pages, so I got through it in one afternoon. The book avoids getting bogged down in frameworks, but promotes using Sass as an extension of your existing CSS knowledge. This to me seems like a very sensible approach. I've read plenty of guides online, but this book I'll be using for reference on future projects. That, and the mixins I stored in my snippets library.
Tim Kadlec
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is now at the top of my list for resources for people just starting with Sass.

If you've been using it for awhile, you might pick up a few tricks, but you'd mostly likely be better off picking up something else. If, however, you're just starting to dip your toes into it (or are skeptical) this is pretty much perfect. Short, to the point, and very clearly explained.
Mads Nedergaard
May 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: web
This book might be great for starters, but it doesn't bring anything new to the table. By reading the official Sass documentation and a few articles, you could easily get to the same point as anyone who read this book.

But still a fine introduction to the topic, which can be read and get you started with Sass in no time!
Jin Ah
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It feels like I saw oasis in desert because whenever I fix CSS codes, I think code fixing is a kind of no-brain work, repetitive copy & paste. And I knew Scss earlier, I was afraid to learn and use in practice. It's because the process does'n look simple. However this book describes scss with simple and joke. Love to put it into practice.
Elizabeth
Jan 15, 2015 rated it liked it
The author does a good job explaining how and why to use Sass. He makes it sound easy enough but then also mentions all these other tools to make it easier, so either it's actually trickier than it looks or developers are really lazy. He doesn't adequately address the effects of the compiling on development or site speed.
Trey Piepmeier
Dec 08, 2013 rated it liked it
This is definitely a good introduction if you have no idea what Sass is or are very new to it. If you've used it at all, the last couple of chapters have a few gems in it, but probably not enough to justify the price.
Marc Mueller
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just as Dan Cederholm himself, I was hesitant to approach SASS. But his great book is a great introduction, and a very convincing sales pitch for why one should give SASS a try. I have since then started working with it and I am sure happy Mr. Cederholm convinced me to do so.
Morgane
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Mixins can include other mixins. A mixinception, if you will."

I appreciate any book that has terrible puns. But this is also a great intro to Sass, and does a good job of (1) reassuring CSS purists that everything if going to be okay and (2) breaking down the benefits of Sass step by step.
Marian Posaceanu
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Awesome little pink book / light read nothing fancy but still great
Rebecca
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent introduction to SASS with lots of practical advice and helpful examples.
Samuell
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: web-dev
A wonderfull book. Are you using the CSS? Than read this BOOK. It takes a day to finish it.
Amy
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great starting point that sums up the benefits of adding Sass to your Web Development work flow. It inspired me to add this to my own work flow. Nesting and mixins? Yes, please!
Dani Moss
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just what I needed to learn SASS!
Bryan
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Anyone still sass hesitant should read this.
Martin Note
Dec 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Very well written introduction to SASS for the skeptic. Wish it went a little more deeper
Brad
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent little introduction for those web designers who, like me, wanted to get into using a CSS pre-processor but didn't know how to begin. Highly recommended.

• On Web Typography
  • Scalable and Modular Architecture for CSS
  • Remote Research: Real Users, Real Time, Real Research
  • Adaptive Web Design: Crafting Rich Experiences with Progressive Enhancement

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
A designer, author, speaker, husband and father living in Salem, Massachusetts. Dan is the Founder and Principal of SimpleBits, LLC, a tiny web design studio.

A recognized expert in the field of standards-based web design, Dan has worked with YouTube, Microsoft, Google, MTV, ESPN, Electronic Arts, Blogger, Fast Company, Inc. Magazine, and others. With each new project, comes an opportunity to minim

A Book Apart (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • HTML5 for Web Designers