Start by marking “The Silence of Winter: Part 2” as Want to Read:
The Silence of Winter: Part 2

The Silence of Winter: Part 2 (Discovery #2)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  902 Ratings  ·  103 Reviews
The second in an exclusive 6-consecutive-month release Amish serial novel, Wanda E. Brunstetter weaves a compelling love story brilliantly mingled with an unexpected twist.
Published March 1st 2013 by Barbour Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Silence of Winter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silence of Winter

Debbie
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The Silence Of Winter" by Wanda Brunstettler gets 5 stars. I loved this. It is part 2 of 6 in the A Lancaster County Saga. I don't usually like books like that this, I want the whole book at once but I was given the first book by a friend and was kept turning the pages till the end and now I cannot wait till all six are out before reading them. In the start of the book Meredith learns that she is pregnant and is happy but has regrets that she didn't tell Luke that she might be before he left to ...more
April Wood
Oct 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rhonda Gayle
Mar 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
oh, my heart simply breaks for Meredith and for Luke. Meredith must struggle with both tragedy and joy and will she ever have Luke to share her life with again? I don't want to "spoil" the book, but I will say that I have been hanging on the edge of my seat as I read. The volumes, I realize, have upset some readers, but I actually enjoy the quick readability of these volumes and wait with bated breath for each new installment! I love seeing how the Amish help each other through hardtimes and tru ...more
Grace
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, amish, christian
I think I enjoyed this one better than the last one! A tragedy befalls Meredith and she has to learn to cope. A new character is also introduced who is set up to have a bigger part in the next book. I think all of these books are going to end on a cliffhanger since this one did too! If you liked the first one, then you will definitely enjoy this one!
Megan
I felt so badly for Meredith in this one, watching her grieve for Luke was so heartbreaking since they had such a great relationship. There were some happier moments too, but this one was definitely more of a sad one - though I still enjoyed it a lot. I'm really glad that I had all the books on hand so I could continue reading right away, because after this one I jumped right into the next one.
Judy
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Saga Continues!

Meredith learns of bad news about Luke and she is devastated. Things changed in just a blink of an eye. Life will never be the same. Meredith is beside herself but knows life must go on especially now that she has more than just herself to think about.

One day a knock comes at her door. An old friend shows up to offer Meredith support and to see if she is in need of help.

Who is this old friend? Will this be the beginning of new changes for Meredith?

Once again Wanda Brunstetter
Ashley
A super quick read. Still better than the first book. Luke's "death" totally adds a new layer of drama to the story. And I get that Meredith is mourning but it seems like no one is the least bit concerned with how she is going to support the baby she is having. It's like an after thought.
I didn't really like how we are made to feel sympathy for Alex just for him to die. I sort of wanted him to be rehabilitated or something, not a fiery bus crash. And all those kids that were on the bus singing,
Janet
Jan 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the second of 6, can't wait for the next one to see what happens to Luke and Meredith.

Luke has traveled to his uncles to learn the business but at the bus station he gets attacked, the person who beat him up stole his id and when he was killed in a bus accident the family was told that Luke was killed.
Bethany Robinson-betts
Great sequel to the first one, listening to them All on audio books
Barbara
Haven't read yet and don't have a copy.
Anne
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another cliffhanger. Started and finished in one night and started #3. Had a hard time putting down #3 to get some sleep.
Lori
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This a great book about a young Amish widow, who recently lost her husband in an accident and is expecting a child in the summer.
Tara
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than the first book; a little less predictable.
Chelsey Carter
If you made it through book 1, then you already know the rest are better. The further in the series you get, the better it gets!
Beatrice Drury
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, something terrible happened. We know the truth, but now we need to know the outcome. Life certainly isn't any easier for the Amish than the English.
Ashli
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5
Debbie
These stories are a quick read, but a little boring. I will finish this saga, however, to find out what happens.
Mary
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this series by Wanda Brunstetter. I liked that she broke the series up into short stories and loved the conclusion.
Kristin
I’ve been itching to pick up the rest of these and was so excited that I was selected to review the series!

I literally couldn’t put these down. I was obsessively reading to figure out what would happen with Luke and Meredith and at times nervously worried they might not make it back to one another.

I do hope that one day all six volumes will be available in a collection as I think that individually I would have gotten frustrated with having to wait to see how the story wrapped up.

I also think
Kristen
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, amish, series
Great continuation in this 6 part story
Kitty
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was an inprovement over part 1, seemed a lot more fast paced and interesting. I feel so bad for poor Meredith, though we all know Luke is alive. And I think we all know what direction this old friend of hers coming to town is going....
Ibjoy1953 Hannabass

My Thoughts On Part Two
This part is very sad, with Meredith waiting for a call from Luke that she will never get. Then the sheriff shows up at her door with the news that changes her life. What will she do now with a baby on the way, most of their savings gone, no job and no help? Things just can’t get any worse than they are now. Or could they?

My Overall Review……
This is a really good series to read. And each book is short and only takes a few hours. So if you are one of those people who can’t r
Linda Branich
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amish
This is the second book in a series about Lancaster County Amish couple Merredith (Merrie) and Luke Stoltzfus. I do not understand why this series is broken up into such short books, other than they would make perfect TV episodes as they are written, with the perfect cliffhanger at the end of each book.

In this book, Luke leaves by bus for Indiana just before Merrie confirms her pregnancy with the midwife. At a bus rest stop rest room Luke is viciously mugged, beaten unconscious, and robbed, clea
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't realize that this was a part of a six consecutive month but because I love writing of winter which points to the Christmas season I took this one out of the library. This one was great but brought tears when the news of her husband being killed right at the time when she had awaited his return to tell of the good news (her being pregnant). After living with her in-laws for a while I admired her decision to return home and seek ways of making a living for herself and the new baby even wh ...more
⚜Trea⚜
This was another quick read, following in the footsteps of Goodbye to Yesterday. The premise that we as readers can't sit down for longer books was still there, as the story was only advanced slightly. I still dislike the serial trend, because I'm having to wait for my local library to process the next installment, which means I should have it about the time as the fourth installment is coming out. I had to deduct a star for the serial aspect again, because I really detest it. The story movement ...more
Tammy
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, my first thought is WOW! I never saw this book going where it went. Luke's trip to his Uncle's in Indiana didn't go anywhere near as expected and it nearly breaks Merrie into a million pieces.

I literally only put my kindle down one time while I was reading this book because it was so wonderfully well written. The only reason I put it down then was because I had to fix the kids lunch and then I could not wait to get back to it. I am however sad that it ended because I don't have the next o
Tonya
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-reads
Woohooo I just love this little mini series of Wanda's. She creates such magical places and people, I feel like I am home when reading!

This second part we get further into Luke and Meredith's story. Luke is going to his uncle's to learn how to become a headstone engraver. However when a drug addict beats Luke up, steals his clothes and money and leaves him for dead, things change for all of them.

Luke is thought to be dead, but he is really lying in a hospital, a John Doe, in a coma. Meredith mea
Rhonda
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 STARS

The Silence of Winter jumps right back into the story. It keeps you wanting to read about these characters. Their are some new ones added to the stories. This one too ends in a cliffhanger. It is a Amish story and a clean read too. Not a stand alone series its one that you will want to read it in order too.

Meredith gets the good news she is expecting. Before she has a chance to tell anyone she gets bad news.
Meredith is coping with a lot of things right now. Trying to make plans at a time
Shelly
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was looking for audio books thru my library to listen to on my iPhone and I came across this series. So far I have listened to 5 of the 6 books in the series. The story line is interesting enough but the writing is just simply lacking. There are way too many unnecessary details that bog the story down - at least when listening to the audio. Each book is quite short yet at times it seems to drag on and on without meaningful progress in the story. In all honesty, if he subject matter wasn't abou ...more
Lynne Young
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is book 2 in the Discovery series and is a continuation of the story of Meredith and Luke. This book in the series tells the story of how Meredith deals with finding out she is pregnant and losing her husband all at the same time. As with all of Ms. Brunstetter's books, this one grabs you from the first page and doesn't let go. Since these books are novellas they are short. Before you know it you are at the end and can't wait for the next one to find out what happens next. The good thing ab ...more
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • Ray of Light (The Days of Redemption #2)
  • An Amish Kitchen
  • Faithful to Laura (Middlefield Family, #2)
  • A Quilt for Jenna (Apple Creek Dreams, #1)
  • Accidentally Amish (Valley of Choice #1)
  • The Lesson (Stoney Ridge Seasons #3)
  • A Home for Lydia (The Pebble Creek Amish, #2)
  • Sarah's Gift (Pleasant Valley, #4)
  • Katie Opens Her Heart (Emma Raber's Daughter, #1)
  • Johanna's Bridegroom (Hannah's Daughters, #6)
  • The Secret Keeper (Home to Hickory Hollow #4)
  • Love Comes to Paradise (New Beginnings, #2)
  • Threads of Grace (Patch of Heaven #3)
  • A Hope Springs Christmas (Brides of Amish Country, #7)
New York Times bestselling and award-winning author, Wanda E. Brunstetter is one of the founders of the Amish fiction genre. She has written close to 90 books translated in four languages. With over 10 million copies sold, Wanda's stories consistently earn spots on the nations most prestigious bestseller lists and have received numerous awards.

Wanda’s ancestors were part of the Anabaptist faith, a
More about Wanda E. Brunstetter...

Discovery (6 books)
  • Goodbye to Yesterday (Discovery, #1)
  • The Hope of Spring (Discovery, #3)
  • The Pieces of Summer (Discovery, #4)
  • A Revelation in Autumn (Discovery, #5)
  • A Vow for Always (Discovery, #6)