Start by marking “In Thunder Forged: Iron Kingdoms Chronicles” as Want to Read:
In Thunder Forged: Iron Kingdoms Chronicles

In Thunder Forged: Iron Kingdoms Chronicles

(The Fall of Llael #1)

The Iron Kingdoms are at war—a war fought with machine guns and magic, knights of valor, and earth-shaking titans of steam and steel. And now that war may hinge entirely on nothing more than a sheaf of papers.

An alchemical formula, stolen by an ally they thought they could trust, could cost the brave soldiers of Cygnar everything. Their only hope: a cunning spy, a knight o
Published June 2013 by Pyr (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about In Thunder Forged, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Thunder Forged

Ian James
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
the book was a good but a few military things bothered me.

- In the book a Sergeant commands what would be considered a Platoon or even an undersize company. every time they mentioned her rank I mentally changed it to lieutenant to stop the twitch in my eye.

- One of the Characters in the novel i felt was really lost and had no place in the plan overall but i could be wrong.

- I absolutely loved the Unorthodox Engagement unit. I really wish Privateer Press will release a tier list for them.

- The en
Dev Null
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was surprisingly good, for something based on a wargame. Some good characters, a bit of rollocking action, a reasonable plot that only fell apart in a couple of places if you looked too close (Wait; some of our heroes will sneak painlessly into the city under siege, while the rest of our heroes go... to exactly the same place, via trials and tribulations? That seems... odd.)

It felt like some sort of point was being made by the fact that all three main PoV characters, along with one of the t
Barry Huddleston
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
*** Free review copy provided by Pyr

Ari Marmell always provides an entertaining summertime read packed with tons of action. Last summer, I enjoyed reading his Widdershins Adventure fantasy series.

I really didn’t know very much about the Iron Kingdoms gaming system or the the Iron Kingdoms’ milieu. Essentially the “Iron Kingdoms” are at war and are contesting over military plans.

Steampunk elements are mixed with fantasy …

"Nearly ten foot in height, they were only vaguely humanoid. From an almost
Neal Litherland
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. I really, truly wanted to. I love the Iron Kingdoms as a setting, and the description on the back gave me a tasty little chunk of plot to bite down on. Sadly everything between the pages was bland, and what's worse, it was boring.

That's enough for some people, but I wrote a much more in-depth review as to what I believe is wrong with the text at the link below. Check it out if you're of a mind.

Good Books, Bad Books
Luc Flaschentrager
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it

I read this book expecting to read a story just like most others, countries go to war... Good guys and bad guys... Good guys get an advantage, good guys won the war... So on. In a way, this was that, however, it had depth. There were twists that I never could have imagined. This book was amazing in every way, shape, and form. I loved this book and will continue to read the series.
David Marshall
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is great fun as an espionage military adventure story set in a high fantasy world with steampunk technology enhanced by sorcery. It's actually based on an RPG but you don't have to know anything about the game to enjoy the book.

Tim Elliott
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I usually hate books based on games so I didn't hold out much hope. Never have I been so happy to be wrong. Great characters,great story,great read .I can only hope the rest of the Iron Kingdoms books are half as good. Extra points go to it because it was about my favorite faction CYGNAR.
Gregory
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
A solid read. Marmell does a great job fleshing out the Iron Kingdoms, I just wish he had freedom to use better known characters and add to the universe. I definitely enjoyed the new characters though, and hope to see more of them either in future books or the tabletop game.
Jeff
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I wish they would release the book the announced as next in the series. . .
Scott Carmody
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, war, steampunk
A good start to the line. It was like Steam powered Sharpe.
Tasula
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this fantasy about two kingdoms at war, with noble soldiers and spies battling each other. The defenders of the country being invaded were valiant and likeable, one of the invader's spies was fascinating and close to invincible, the traitor was properly villainous, there was a war mage and robot soldiers, and it was altogether a good time (despite the tragedies and bloodshed).
Doug Hufnagel
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Exciting Tale

This is an excellent book for anybody with even a passing interest in the Iron Kingdoms or looking for a reasonably short action book set to an intimate and yet epic setting. I highly recommend it.
El-jorro
Jul 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Bookworm Speaks!

In Thunder Forged: Iron Kingdoms Chronicles (The Fall of Llael)

by Ari Marmell

****
Acquired: Barnes and Noble Booksellers
Series: The Fall of Llael
Paperback: 320 pages
Publisher: Pyr (June 4, 2013)
Language: English

****

The Story: The first novel based upon the award-winning WARMACHINE® steam-powered fantasy wargame and the world of the Iron Kingdoms® Role Playing Game is an action-packed steam-tech fantasy that combines elements of epic wartime adventure with thrilling cloak-and-dagge
Fantasy Literature
Aug 16, 2014 rated it liked it

To: Military Subcommittee, Colonial Council, Kingdom of Fantasy Literature

Month of Summer Solstice, in the Year of the Brazilian World Cup

Re: Codename In Thunder Forged, After Action Report

Honorable Council:

Herewith my report on the targeted objective, codename In Thunder Forged. In reviewing reports for this mission I noted that your intelligence analysts theorized that In Thunder Forged may have been based on a video game, specifically, the game WARMACHINE. Our Preliminary Engagement
Henry Lazarus
Dec 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Ari Marmell disproves the rule that all books based on games are horrible. The War Machines: Iron Kingdoms only provides the background for an exciting tale of spying and fighting. In Thunder Forged (trade from Pyr) is an exciting adventure.Dignity is a spy from Cygnar in allied Llael hunting for a stolen alchemichal formula and avoiding Khador spies. The city is under attack from Khador, and to help Dignity escape one she has found the formula, the Cygnarians send a Knight, Katherine Laddermore ...more
Taddow
Aug 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: warmachine
This was my first Warmachine novel (I have read some of the setting's short stories and novellas) and I was really looking forward to it. Unfortunately, while the story was not bad, it did not have a lot of what I expect from Warmachine- Warjacks mainly. I recognized now that it was more of a spy story than a war story, but even with this I wish there was a little more character development and elaboration on some of the occupational classes depicted (the Gun Mage character had some development ...more
Owen
Aug 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
A nice little surprise, this. I didn't have high hopes but I was curious about the world that Privateer Press had created and thought "Why not? If it's terrible then I don't have to keep going." But dare I say it, I was intrigued and then gripped by the story and the characters. It's a fun piece of entertainment, written with considerable skill and direction. It's very much a PG-13 tale of war, so the good guys are good and the bad guys are bad but it's not the end of the world if everything is ...more
Maykel
May 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: warmachine, kindle
Gostei muito do livro. Ele apresenta várias classes, principalmente Cygnaram, mas fala um pouco sobre as forças de Khamdor. Acho que é impossível não gostar do Anterthon, realmente queria saber mais sobre ele. Muito recomendado para quem quer conhecer mais sobre esse universo bacana do Warmachine.
Chapter by Chapter
Jul 12, 2013 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: dnf
I tried...I really, really tried...
Robby
Aug 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Pretty good, but only check out if you are already an Iron Kingdoms fan.
Bill
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
My first of Marmel'ls books. Pretty cool. Like a noir movie. Will read the next one and some others of his now.
LordOfDorkness
Dec 12, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm pretty sure I read this?
Abhinav
Oct 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-read
This was a rather fun novel. Interesting setting and characters. Recommended. Review soon.
Mbrazier
May 30, 2019
James Wilson
Dec 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Instruments of War (The Warlock Sagas #1)
  • The Doctor and the Rough Rider (Weird West Tales, #3)
  • Never (Lightbringer, #3)
  • Power Under Pressure (The Society of Steam, #3)
  • Reaper's Legacy (Toxic City, #2)
  • The Blood of Kings
  • Lance of Earth and Sky (The Chaos Knight, #2)
  • Queen of Thorns (Pathfinder Tales)
  • Flashpoint (Acts of War #1)
  • The Wizard's Daughters
  • Dead of Veridon (The Burn Cycle #2)
  • Apollo's Outcasts
  • The Diamond Deep (Ruby's Song, #2)
  • The Osiris Curse (Tweed & Nightingale Adventures, #2)
  • The Havoc Machine (Clockwork Empire, #4)
  • Plague of Shadows (Pathfinder Tales)
  • The Martian Ambassador (Blackwood and Harrington, #1)
  • At the Gates (Demon Squad, #3)
When Ari Marmell has free time left over between feeding cats and posting on social media, he writes a little bit. His work includes novels, short stories, role-playing games, and video games, all of which he enjoyed in lieu of school work when growing up. He’s the author of the Mick Oberon gangland/urban fantasy series, the Widdershins YA fantasy series, and many others, with publishers such as D ...more

The Fall of Llael (2 books)
  • Big Iron: Iron Kingdoms Chronicles