Start by marking “Trails in the Sand” as Want to Read:
Trails in the Sand

Trails in the Sand

(Florida Fiction #2)

A Family Saga Filled with Love Triangles, Sea Turtles, and an Oil Spill

When environmental writer Caroline Carlisle sets off to report on endangered sea turtles during the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, the last thing she expects is to uncover secrets - secrets that threaten to destroy her family, unless she can heal the hurts from a lifetime of lies. To make matters worse, C
Published January 10th 2013 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Trails in the Sand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trails in the Sand

Bumping Noses and Cherry Pie by Charie D. La MarrThe Law of Attraction by N.M. SilberTrust by Cristiane SerruyaDreams Come True by Bridgitte LesleyNaked Determination by Gisela Hausmann
Little-Known Gems
1,066 books — 1,140 voters
Tortoise Stew by P.C. ZickMagic America by C.E. MedfordCatori's Worlds by Murielle CyrTrails in the Sand by P.C. ZickA Sudden Light by Garth Stein
Environmental Novels
69 books — 112 voters

More lists with this book...

Create With Joy
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Every person has a past. Every family has its secrets. Before you dig up either, you should ask:

Are you ready to face the realities you find?

That is the question Caroline, Simon and Jodi must ask themselves time and time again as one secret after another rears its ugly head in P.C. Zick’s fifth novel, Trails In The Sand.

Trails In The Sand is the beautifully written, intricately interwoven story of three Southern families – the Stokleys, the Carlisles, and the McDermotts – that spans across four
Christoph Fischer
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
“Trails In The Sand” by P.C. Zick is an emotional read about family secrets and making peace with the past. After her sister dies, Caroline reconnects with her family and with Simon, the man that her sister stole from her and married. Said widower Simon has an adopted daughter that needs to come to terms with her status and with the new relationship between her aunt and her father. Thrown into the mix are a few more family issues such as a drowning in 1956 and more revelations that come from dia ...more
Rabid Readers Reviews
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Trails in the Sand is a deeply complex read. Focus shifts between each character and Zick provides us a puzzle piece with each step. We grow to know the characters first meeting Caroline’s mother and her brother as they sit on the beach as children watching turtles lay eggs and then the mother watching her beloved older brother disappear into the surf. The scene is powerfully written and sets a tone of difficult topics to come.

Zick’s setting and Floridian landscapes are described in stunning det
Dawn Edwards
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Family Secrets & Environmental Disasters in One Neat Package

Ms. Zick has written a novel in Trails in the Sand that unravels several generations of family secrets in a background of very real environmental disasters. The story is sad at times, happy at times, funny at times and extremely educational on several levels.

As free-lance news reporter, Caroline, writes stories documenting efforts to save wild-life, particularly turtles, during the BP oil spill in the Gulf, she and her family uncov
Victoria Dougherty
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bold-indies
I’m a sucker for twisty, twisted and poignant family stories, so Trails in the Sand is my cup of Texas tea. And there is plenty of Texas tea to go around as the backdrop to this family drama is the very real and devastating BP oil spill of 2010. The story actually begins years before with the drowning of a young boy and meanders – Southern-style – through betrayals, lies, life-long love affairs, grief, two huge environmental disasters and ultimately the healing of both land and heart. And yes, i ...more
Bob Rector
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
On the surface, Trails In The Sand by P. C. Zick centers around the massive Gulf oil spill of spring, 2010. Actually this is just the backdrop of the story and pales in comparison to the destructive force of one supremely dysfunctional family. But Ms. Zick's book is much more, it is a cleverly drafted challenge to the reader to define their parameters for tolerance in human behavior. To me, that's what makes the book so powerful.

The action takes place primarily from St. Augustine, Fl. to St. Geo
Rachelle Ayala
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Moving family saga combined with environmental disaster.

Trails in the Sand is Southern drama on the scale of Anne Rivers Siddons, where family secrets lie as deep as a mangrove swamp, skeletons molder in the woodwork, and the honeyed smiles of Southern belles mask seething resentment.

Everyone in the Carlisle/Stokely family hides secrets behind a veneer of Southern respectability. Hatred runs deep and across generational lines. Caroline, the protag, is a journalist who left her family determined
Vince Dickinson
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Trails in the Sand by P.C. Zick is a novel about family set against the backdrop of the BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico and the Upper Big Branch mining tragedy in West Virginia, both incidents from 2010. In some families, unless the right protocols are followed, an accident is just a misstep away.

Caroline Carlisle is a 45 year-old freelance environmental writer who had given up on looking for love until her sister Amy passes away, and her husband Simon, the love of Caroline'
Julia
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As I was reading “Trails in the Sand,” I kept thinking of one of my favorite quotes by Mahatma Gandhi who said, “What we are doing to the forests of the world is but a mirror reflection of what we are doing to ourselves and to one another.” In the novel by P.C . Zick, the action does not take place in the forest; it is focused around the true events of the 2010 oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, but the idea is similar in that “Trails in the Sand” parallels and interweaves environmental disasters ...more
Wendy Unsworth
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I first came across Trails in the Sand I was immediately attracted by the very alluring cover and the environmental angle to the story. The environment and the natural world are subjects close to many hearts, mine included and so a story woven around such issues is interesting; a kind of two-in-one experience!
Caroline, the central character, is an environmental writer, deeply concerned with the issues of the day and yet also embroiled with very personal family matters both past and present.
Karen
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
TRAILS IN THE SAND. PC ZICK
One night long ago, a teenage boy walked into the ocean and never returned. This and other family matters leave the sister he left behind as a bitter young woman who becomes a bitter parent. The Stoakley family skeletons are front and center in this tale of love and forgiveness behind the back drop of the 2010 oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Caroline Carlisle is a reporter and marine biologist trying to save the sea turtles from the oncoming oil slick. She attempts to
Lori Crane
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much. Drama, drama, drama. The cast of characters were rich. The story lines (yes, there were two) were interesting. One is the tale of a family with too many dark secrets, a family that needed to heal. Slowly, the author revealed the horrific family past, which kept me turning the pages. The Gladys Kravitz in me couldn't wait to learn about all their dirt. The optimist in me wanted to see they would all be all right in the end. It's heart-wrenching. It's hopeful. Bravo!
Crystal Henry
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The way this author weaves words into such compelling literature is inspiring. A sign of a good book is when you wish you were at least friends with the characters on Facebook so you could keep in touch after the book ends!
Lacey Dancer
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ms. Zick is a new author for me and I had a really great read when I curled up in my chair to enjoy her book. Small town life with all its twists and turns kept me guessing from the first page to the last. Add in the spice of family and friends, each with a few twists and turns too, and I just had to keep reading to see what would happen next. Through it all, the environmental theme added another level of interest.
monica gibbs
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book

This one of the best books I have read in along time. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The history about north Florida and the facts about the oil spill of 2010 interwoven in the story made it a believable story that touches the heart in so many ways.
Colleen M. Chesebro
May 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Do you like to travel? Then jump aboard, because “Trails in the Sand,” immediately propelled me into the Deep South to the state of Florida where mangrove swamps and the Gulf of Mexico beckoned and lured me into their mystique. Grab a fan, it might get hot!

The story begins with a mysterious death in 1956. It is that one single event which brings to the forefront long-buried family secrets with roots deep in the sands of time, and laid to rest in the true southern tradition. These secrets reveal
Francis Guenette
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-friends
This book kept me page turning right to the end. I had to actually stop myself from racing through. I’m glad I exercised control because the book should be savoured as much for the story as for the many detailed descriptions of the current state of the environment.

Set in Florida, the author’s writing is replete with detailed descriptions – the natural landscape, the gardens, the architecture are all painted in lush words.

At its most stripped down level, the book is the love story of Caroline a
S.R. Mallery
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
***** WHAT A RICH BOOK!!

In P.C. Zick’s fine TRAILS IN THE SAND, a compelling opening draws the reader down a remarkable path. A path where beautiful descriptions of wildlife in all its glory and threat of endangerment, gas spills, and mining disasters run parallel to one family’s secrets and dysfunction. And dysfunctional the members of this family certainly are. As tragic as a Greek or Shakespearean play, we find out how one generation of mysteries and abuse can, much like a British Petroleum b
Linda
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Environmental writer, Caroline Carlisle ,loved her neighbor when he first moved across the street when he and his younger brother introduced themselves, it didn't matter that she was just a kid, he always had time for her when they played outside catching fireflies and cracking silly jokes. Her mom had always been angry with her about one thing after another ansd swore she'd be the death of her mom yet ,but her mom and Simon's had plans for him to marry Amy her older sister and before long when ...more
Molly
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is a rare treat of sophisticated literary fiction with substance and deep understanding of politics, environmental issues and human nature.
Written with brilliant journalistic ability and emotional and literary quality the book is about a family issue as well as the oil spill disaster in Florida of 2010.
As the shore is being cleaned up from the spillage, so is the family issue.
Great writing, excellent characters and story lines and the authors background in journalism make for an exce
Elaine Cougler
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Trails in the Sand by P.C. Zick is a lovely look into family, Florida wildlife, oil and mining disasters and just the way life can be a huge mix of all sorts of things. Zick's use of a character's name at the beginning of every chapter helps very much with keeping the large number of characters straight. It also lets the reader see inside the heads of the many different people whose story comes together so well. The reader is quite able to follow the trails in the sand made by all of them. Well ...more
Katarina Nolte
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
The story unfolds during the Deepwater Horizon oil spill disaster and the characters’ past and present impressions of their environment. The main character’s love and knowledge of her regional natural environment are impressive while her tragic family life is rather depressing. ... Book Review: Trails in the Sand (Florida Fiction) By P.C. Zick » Katarina Nolte
Wanda Hartzenberg
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
My love for this book may be nothing but admiration for the enviromental aspect.
That said, that is no sneezing subject. I loved the dedication of the characters. Their determination.
Their zeal.

I fell in love with this aspect of this book to such a degree that I am not sure how I feel about the rest of the story.
Sure the mystery was intriguin etc.
The writing smashing
But the conservation theme made this a must read for me.

WaAr
Tatiana Lammers
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-scored
This was a rather complex but very enjoyable read for me.

A deep family drama full with dark secrets and emotional hurt is mixed with very serious, heavy with historical, political, safety and environmental facts and information from the fairly recent events in the South connected with coal mining and oil drilling disasters.
The book has a lot of flashbacks which help the readers understand the characters and their actions in the present since they are deeply rooted in the past.
Lexie Miller
Mar 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ereader-news
Great for those who like to read about unique families, current events or drama-filled love lifes. I enjoyed the aspects of solving the mystery of Carolina's mother and family but felt the book simply dragged on and on with some chapters that really did not add much. Most fascinating was learning about the lives of the sea turtles and the operations done to save them during the BP spill. Again good book overall for different interests, just not for me.
Carol Erhardt
Sorry

I don't like giving a bad review to a book so many rated high. This is my personal opinion only. Don't let it sway you. It just isn't my type of reading. I was enticed by the prologue, so I purchased it, but the book is too heavily laced with chapters which read like newspaper articles. This detracted too much from the family saga and I had to stop reading at chapter 14.
Marvel
May 17, 2013 rated it liked it
I started to say don't let any English majors read this little piece of brain candy fluff - then I read further about the author and find she's a high school English teacher that likes to write novels combining romance and environmental causes. Oops - oh well - it was an entertaining book as long as you're not trying to exercise your brain. :)
Alison
Jan 21, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
kindle 410
Marilyn
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

this story is one where one family was involved with saving the loggerhead turtles .the one young man who killed himself.started the watching of turtle making there nests.
Brianna Soloski
Oct 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »

• Continuance
  • Pray the Scriptures: A 40-Day Prayer Experience
  • Nurturing the Soul of Your Family: 10 Ways to Reconnect and Find Peace in Everyday Life
  • Lola's Money
  • In Capable Arms: Living a Life Embraced by Grace
  • Muskie Attack (Up North Adventures #1)
  • Death Be Not Proud (The Secret of the Journal #2)
  • Life Application Study Bible KJV
  • Grace, Under Pressure: A Girl with Asperger's and Her Marathon Mom
  • Random MOMents of Grace: Experiencing God in the Adventures of Motherhood
  • The Kickstarter Handbook: Real-Life Success Stories of Artists, Inventors, and Entrepreneurs
  • The Full Armor of God: Defending Your Life from Satan's Schemes
  • A List of Offences
  • Lady Justice and the Class Reunion (Lady Justice #12)
  • The God of My Art
  • Charlie Sparrow and the Secret of Flight (Tales of Tree City, #1)
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Wildflowers: Eastern Region
  • The Gospel Centered Woman: Understanding Biblical Womanhood through the Lens of the Gospel
I'm a storyteller who writes. It's as simple and as complicated as that.

I have always been a writer and reader. I dabbled with writing during vacations from teaching. I always received praise for my writing. As a high school English teacher, I became known as the “writing teacher” and taught creative writing and gave writing workshops to other teachers. When I burned out on teaching students to wr

Florida Fiction (3 books)
  • Tortoise Stew