Start by marking “They Like to Never Quit Praisin' God: The Role of Celebration in Preaching” as Want to Read:
They Like to Never Quit Praisin' God: The Role of Celebration in Preaching

They Like to Never Quit Praisin' God: The Role of Celebration in Preaching

Celebration is an important component of preaching. Fifteen years, after its release, They Like to Never Quit Praising God continues to illustrate the steps that are essential to understand and experience the Gospel through celebration and praise. Through the unique lens of African American preaching, Thomas explores the theology, dynamics and guidelines for celebrative pr ...more
Published April 15th 2013 by Pilgrim Press (first published May 1997)

To ask other readers questions about They Like to Never Quit Praisin' God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about They Like to Never Quit Praisin' God

Dr. Michael
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This easy read is a great addition to the dialog on the role of celebration in preaching. Dr. Thomas argues that celebration need not take on predictable forms found in any particular culture or within any particular group - but that the celebration comes from a much deeper place where the human experience transgresses the lines of race, culture, age, and gender. A place where the experience of life may be born of different events - but the human response to pain, suffering, fear, hope, joy, des ...more
Emily
Confession: I did not read the whole book, but I have every intention of coming back to it because the half assigned for class was wonderful. Thomas is clearly a seasoned preacher who knows exactly what celebration is, how to do it, and what its purposes are. Certainly I, and others in my own tradition, could learn a lot about celebration from him.

Four stars for editing, not Thomas' writing; my edition was so riddled with typos that it distracted from the content.
Valerie Ohle
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This has been one of the most educational books on how to write sermons I've read so far. I struggled throughout it, not with what the author had to say, but with how one could put it to work in a mainstream predominantly white church, especially during the first four chapters. Chapter 5 forward seemed to clear most of that up for me as the author began to spell out more specifically the process for crafting a celebrative message. By the time I reached the end of the book I was definitely sold. ...more
Rob O'Lynn
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really good contemporary introduction to the African-American homiletical paradigm of "celebration." Pulls from systems theory to develop a healthy approach to the emotional component of preaching that is stylized in this cultural approach to preaching. Can be somewhat repetitive, however Thomas presents his material with confidence and competence.
Chuck
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frank Thomas provides a detailed look into the philosophy and practice of Celebrative Preaching. For those of us who have been moved by the power of celebration in African-American preaching, this inside look helps us understand what is involved in the preparation of sermons that sing.

Personally, I came away with new insight into incorporating more power of emotional movement into my own preaching. His sermon work sheet has potential for any of us who spend our time trying to figure out how to m
Sean-david
Aug 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this book for a class, and it really was a great read. Fascinating insight into the African American preaching tradition, and also important components of Gospel preaching that every preacher should consider.
Bob Wolniak
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
I really learned a lot from this book on some of the best historical and contemporary features of African-American preaching. Robust with examples and very challenging to those of us overly committed to merely cognitive-appeal only philosophies of preaching.
Myi'a Antoinette
I'm very biased on this review because Dr. Thomas is like a second father, but this book is outstanding. If you want to preach better, get this book!
Chris
Oct 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: black, class-union, church
A highly useful homiletic, with a welcome nut-and-bolts character. Especially useful for White preachers considering adding celebration to their toolbox.
Rebecca Jones
Jan 12, 2016
David Smith
Oct 19, 2015
Mark
rated it did not like it
Apr 07, 2016