Start by marking “Reading in a Participatory Culture: Remixing Moby-Dick in the English Classroom” as Want to Read:
Reading in a Participatory Culture: Remixing Moby-Dick in the English Classroom

Reading in a Participatory Culture: Remixing Moby-Dick in the English Classroom

Published March 22nd 2013 by Teachers College Press (first published February 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Reading in a Participatory Culture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reading in a Participatory Culture

Elizabeth
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
This was a great book with several incredible insights into how traditional ways of reading and interpreting texts might be supplemented and enhanced by teaching them alongside other forms of interpretation. In general, Jenkins et al. wholly convinced me that doing so would have a variety of positive consequences. Notable among them: students would understand the various motivations that underlie reading experiences and how differing motivations lead to differing interpretations; students would ...more
Katie
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Read for exams. Some interesting points about the frames of mind for teen readers and how school and play are siloed. Not sure the instructional suggestions are revolutionary other than the insistence on a consistent well-designed pedagogical approach.
Alanna King
Jul 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ugliteracy, tldl, literacy
Jenkins and Kelley offer an optimistic alternative to Carr’s The Shallows: What the Internet is doing to our Brains which is filled, as Jenkins claims, with “contemporary anxieties” (p. 10). The book offers instead this explanation: “As a society, we are still sorting through the long-term implications of these [media] changes. But one thing is clear: These shifts point us toward a more participatory culture, one in which everyday citizens have an expanded capacity to communicate and circulate t ...more
Colette  Drouillard, PhD
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: English Teachers / YA Librarians
I adore Henry Jenkins, so it's not a surprise that this is one of my favorite books this year looking at the use of participatory culture and the community of readers in literature for young readers... but this went above and beyond my expectations! Makes me want to teach high school English just for the opportunity to get my hands on a group of young readers to share this with!
Amy
Jul 07, 2015 rated it liked it
This book has some incredible ideas about remixing, appropriating, and participating in reading. I didn't feel like I needed every chapter, and some of the reading seemed irrelevant or dull, but I will definitely be incorporating some of these ideas into my classroom! The Teachers' Strategy Guide that the researchers created (at newmedialiteracies.org) is incredible.
Tracy
Feb 01, 2016 rated it did not like it
I was required to purchase this book for one of my library classes. I read the required chapters for the first week or so and then stopped--so boring and dull and did not seem to add anything to my learning.
Kelsey Dangelo-Worth
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant book about reinventing the English classroom to reflect technology and "remixing" of classics. Makes a strong and profound argument, makes reading fun and significant again.
Mallory
Aug 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great ideas but I would've liked a somewhat more in-depth analysis of what was actually done in classrooms. A good theoretical book, but it was lacking in the practical to some degree.
Alexzandra
Charles
Jul 10, 2015
Margaret Robbins
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book really was food for the soul, in addition to increasing my academic and pedagogical knowledge. I have developed a true passion for fan fiction as both a creative writer and as a scholar, so I really enjoyed reading about how to integrate fan fiction and popular culture into classroom settings, as related to the study of literature. I was less interested in the parts of the book specifically related to Moby Dick, but I understood why that context was there. The ideas the book suggests r ...more
Amy