Start by marking “Ten Orange Pumpkins: A Counting Book” as Want to Read:
Ten Orange Pumpkins: A Counting Book

Ten Orange Pumpkins: A Counting Book

"Spooktacular"  -- Daily Candy

"Savage’s spirited rhymes (no pun intended) make this an ideal readaloud for younger Halloween celebrants."          --Publishers Weekly (starred review)

"The landscapes Savage creates… have a softness and gentle humor that will capture the imaginations of young children and add to their anticipation."  --Kirkus Reviews

From a sneaky spider to
Published August 29th 2013 by Dial Books (first published August 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Ten Orange Pumpkins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Orange Pumpkins

The Library Lady
Oct 23, 2013 The Library Lady rated it really liked it
Liked this book so much that when I realized I couldn't get my library copy in time for Halloween story hours, I bought my own on Amazon. Does that tell you something?

The text rhymes and is beautifully rhythmic--sad that I have to marvel at that, isn't it? The artwork here is incredibly striking--bold and clean and simple. It looks a great deal like the work of Donald Crews--and I mean it in a good way. It is so simple that my ten dancing thumbs yearn to turn it into a flannelboard--but it's so
Shannon
Aug 03, 2014 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Probably one of my favorite counting books, AND one of my favorite recent holiday books.
Olivia Kelly
Sep 21, 2016 Olivia Kelly rated it liked it
This would obviously be a wonderful book to read to a classroom around Halloween and in the fall. Ten Orange Pumpkins go through a series of wicked and spooky scenarios in which one is lost each time. The colors are very seasonal and the style of illustration I feel works perfectly alongside the text, adding to the feel of the story. Highly recommended for Preschool-1st grade.
Amber Bush
Oct 05, 2014 Amber Bush rated it it was amazing
Shelves: libs-642
Savage, S. (2013). Ten Orange Pumpkins: A Counting Book. Dial.

Picture Book Log

Counting/2014 ALSC Notable Children's Book List

This picture book is a Halloween-based counting book that combines the use of festive elements and an easy to read concept. From witches and ghosts to of course, pumpkins, it allows students to become excited about reading; they may not even realize that they are learning too! Not only does this book reinforce the concept of counting to ten, but goes beyond that and measur
Marilyn
Oct 27, 2014 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
Kids everywhere love to read and to count. This fabulous book will get them counting to ten as well as get them into the Hallowe'en spirit. Simplicity is the key to this book's success. The bold, colourful, clean-line illustrations, done with silhouettes, and sporting traditional Hallowe'en colours, are simply spooktacular. Familiar characters who emerge to celebrate this special day are featured: ghosts, bats, witches, mummy's, scarecrows and more. Kids can follow the inquisitive black cat as h ...more
JUNE BENGOETXEA
Feb 02, 2015 JUNE BENGOETXEA rated it really liked it
TEN ORANGE PUMPKINS is a nice counting picture-book written by Stephen Savage. It is a Halloween story where at the beginning there are ten pumpkins and one by one they go disappearing until there in only one and this is the Halloween Pumpkin. The characters that take the pumpkins all of them are related to Halloween, ghosts, spiders, black cats etc.

I usually prefer other type of pictures, which more realistic, but I have to say that I like so much this ones. The colors that Savage has used are
Asho
Jan 29, 2015 Asho rated it really liked it
This book was sitting on the New Picture Books shelf at our library last week, and my almost-three-year-old son was drawn to it like a moth to a flame. He made me read it to him right there in the library, and even though I enjoyed it I put it on the re-shelve cart when we were done because, well, it's January. It's not the season for a Halloween book. But an hour later when it was time to leave my son piped up, "Where's the pumpkin book I'm taking home?" So we checked it out and have read it at ...more
Akaul002odu.edu
Feb 23, 2014 Akaul002odu.edu rated it liked it
1. Genre and age: Fiction counting picture book, grades K-1

2. Summary: Ten orange pumpkins are present on All Hallows Day and one by one, a pumpkin vanishes on each page.

3. Curriculum: I can definitely see this picture book being used in a whole-classroom setting where the teacher is reading to the students on the carpet, and students are taking turns counting how many pumpkins there are.

4. Reaction: I like the consistency of each page turn where one less pumpkin exists, the entrance of new Hall
Jessica Hughes
Sep 20, 2016 Jessica Hughes rated it it was amazing
Counting: Ten Orange Pumpkins is a festive book that tells how each of the pumpkins are taken away one by one during the night. Different Halloween characters take pumpkins away over time, such as a mummy and a witch that uses one in a potion. I love the simple rhyming lines of the book and how the numbers are always emphasized with large, bold print. I also like how the last pumpkin is used to create a beautiful jack-o-lantern that lights up the night with a happy ending. The digital illustrati ...more
Melissa
Sep 18, 2014 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: libs-642
Savage, S. (2013). Ten Orange Pumpkins: A counting book. New York: Penguin Group.

Concept Book

2014 ALSC Notable Children's Book List

In this bright and fun counting book, it's Halloween time and the pumpkins are out. The story starts out with ten pumpkins. But with all sorts of silly creatures coming out to help themselves to the pumpkins by the end there is only one left. What a delightful and amusing countdown book that students will love to read at Halloween time! This would be a cute book to u
Amanda
Sep 06, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: fall-holiday
4.5, because I found the bold illustrations perfect for a counting book, and loved the way the color schemes on each spread make the black silhouettes and bright orange pumpkins really pop.(view spoiler) ...more
Kayla Dunbar
Sep 28, 2014 Kayla Dunbar rated it liked it
Two Orange Pumpkins is a well written counting book that makes learning how to count to ten fun. It uses different aspects of Halloween to make each number interesting. The book starts off with ten pumpkins. As the book progresses different Halloween type creatures. These creatures start to take the pumpkins and we are gradually left with one. This book incorporates Halloween without being scary. Stephen Savage does an great job of making counting fun for our students. The illustrations are also ...more
Mary Ann
Ten orange pumpkins start the night stacked neatly on hay bales outside the farmer's house, but one by one they disappear. Savage combines bold illustrations with rhythmic rhyming text, giving young readers just enough clues that they can figure out what happens to each pumpkin. I especially love his striking use of silhouettes--they are creepy and dramatic, yet they are simple and straightforward.

Look how effectively Savage uses the page to hook young readers. They'll love counting the pumpkin
Vivian
Oct 26, 2016 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This works GREAT with a group of pre-school children.
Bold colors against silhouettes, three lines of text every other page followed by one line of text every other page. Lots of expletives to invite the children to repeat with you (such as 'yikes', 'hah!', 'flash!', 'boo!', 'splash!', 'arrr!', 'whoosh!', 'poof!', and 'gasp!'.

Our story performers had the kids do actions along with them, making this a very engaging book. It ends with the phrase "Happy Halloween!" which the kids love saying with y
Janet
Jun 02, 2014 Janet rated it really liked it
WOW!! I am in love with the effect the illustrations create in this Halloween title. As for as the counting aspect it is there, but this is not a counting title. Although a number of colors are used in the illustrations, the predominate use of black silhouettes with the pops of the orange pumpkins as well as white seen in the ghost and in eyes is stunning! Would love using this with an audience older than preschoolers. This is not a title that is about a beginning to end story line, just spooky ...more
Kory Bootsma
Feb 16, 2015 Kory Bootsma rated it it was amazing
Ten Orange Pumpkins is a Halloween story that counts down from ten to teach children about numbers. Starting out with ten pumpkins, pumpkins slowly "disappear" by either being stolen by a pirate, struck by lightening, or added to a "pot of witch's brew" (including many others)! With every turn of the page, children can count the new amount of pumpkins which in turn, reinforces number literacy. The illustrations are extremely captivating and the rhyme schemes are witty and engaging, delighting bo ...more
Elizabeth K.
Oct 13, 2013 Elizabeth K. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-lucy
We're big fans of Stephen Savage in our house, and this Halloween book was enjoyed as expected. At 2 1/2, we have a LOT of counting books (which remarkably have done nothing for her counting accuracy), and we appreciated this because it counts backwards, so maybe not the biggest plot twist ever but at least it mixed things up. This is also the age where I am pleased that the illustrations are nicely classic Halloweeny, but not too scary for a toddler.
Dakotah Sporing
Feb 24, 2015 Dakotah Sporing rated it really liked it
This is a classic counting book that also uses rhyming and theme very well throughout the book and would be an excellent book to use for teaching counting in a different way. this book is a normal counting book with added rhyming and theme in it. I chose this book for the theme and the content it covers.
Vicki
WOW! This is one of my favorite read alouds in a long time! A fantastic counting/countdown book with clever illustrations of black, orange, and white which add a mysterious feel to the aire of Halloween.

With its rhyming text, it will be great to share with a group. This will be one of my favorite Halloween go to books.
Jade Detzer
This book has a Halloween feel to it but the Halloween figures (ghosts, witches, etc) have friendly, smiling faces and are not scary whatsoever. This book is perfect for the fall and counting with younger students. It is a predictable book, the pumpkins decrease by one every page. It can be used for a review math lesson.
Mary
This is a good Halloween counting book - colored in black and orange, it makes for a spooky adventure counting down from 10 to 1. Just know that the word Halloween is used at the end, so if you don't celebrate Halloween or read to a school that does not celebrate it, you may need to sensor that last part (which might be hard to do as the whole book is written in rhyme).
Kelley Bennett
Although this book has a witch, skeletons and a ghost they aren't very scary at all. This is a good beginner's book. It counts down from 10 pumpkins to one pumpkin and the illustrations are really neat. They remind me of color-blocking with not a lot of detail so I don't think it would scare any of the students regardless of the age. I would definitely read this to a younger class at Halloween.
Diane
Nov 10, 2013 Diane rated it really liked it
"No pumpkins were harmed in the making of this book." A simple counting book where pumpkins disappear one at a time, taken by a cast of Halloween characters including witches, spiders, owls, pirates, ghosts and more.

Bright, vivid illustrations will make this a "children's choice."
RC
Ten Orange Pumpkins is a delightful counting story that will delight and spook young readers. Readers will enjoy counting the pumpkins one disappears with each page, finding the cat on each page, seeing the different Halloween characters and waiting for the surprise at the end!

Cathy
Oct 11, 2014 Cathy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: preK - 1st grade
Great silhoutte pictures as the orange pumpkins "mysteriously" disappear. The younger kids loved counting down at each page. We went back through and looked at what the cat was doing in each picture. Good fun!
Marissa García
Nice art, good for storytime. Perhaps it was because I wasn't reading it aloud the first time I picked up this book, but it took me nearly til the end to identify what they were trying to do with the rhyme scheme.
Sep 19, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing
We love this children's books for multiple reasons: Halloween (obviously), with just the right touch and style of spooky; simple, clear illustrations; fun, short rhymes; and it is easy to track and count the pumpkins on each page. Great counting book and Halloween fun to boot.
Beverly
Oct 17, 2013 Beverly rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Very nice graphics--bold and simple; and the orange pumpkins really stand out on each page. Mostly standard count down rhyme, with a few creative vocabulary choices. Great for a pumpkin or Halloween story time.
William Green
This is a picture book with decent illustrations, but it isn't exactly the most exciting and engaging Halloween-themed book that's out there. It would be good for young children to help learn to count, but there may be better options available.
Melanie
Readers encounter 10 orange pumpkins and a black cat on the first page. Then the countdown begins. As each page is turned another pumpkin disappears accompanied by a fun rhyme. Children will love finding the black cat on each page and discovering what the last pumpkin becomes.
  • Ghost in the House
  • Old Mikamba Had a Farm
  • Tiptoe Joe
  • It's Pumpkin Time!
  • Peek-a-Boo Bunny
  • Yeti, Turn Out the Light!
  • Hide and Sheep
  • Los Gatos Black on Halloween
  • Shivery Shades of Halloween
  • Mo's Mustache
  • Plumply, Dumply Pumpkin (Classic Board Books)
  • Over in the Hollow
Stephen Savage is known for his economical style of illustration that conveys complex ideas and emotion with simple lines and color. He does a wide range of work from books and household design to celebrity portraits and political icons. His childrens books include the bestselling Polar Bear Night and a new Margaret Wise Brown title, The Fathers Are Coming Home. He created the animal faces on the ...more
More about Stephen Savage...