Start by marking “Ketchup Clouds” as Want to Read:
Ketchup Clouds

Ketchup Clouds

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  9,553 Ratings  ·  1,398 Reviews
Dear Mr. S. Harris,

Ignore the blob of red in the top left corner. It's jam, not blood, though I don't think I need to tell you the difference. It wasn't your wife's jam the police found on your shoe. . . .

I know what it's like.

Mine wasn't a woman. Mine was a boy. And I killed him exactly three months ago.

Zoe has an unconventional pen pal--Mr. Stuart Harris
Published November 12th 2013 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Ketchup Clouds, please sign up.

Universa Red Maybe she changed name because Zoe always writes 'yours truly' but it doesn't meet the concept of the book. Zoe always talks about things fading into…moreMaybe she changed name because Zoe always writes 'yours truly' but it doesn't meet the concept of the book. Zoe always talks about things fading into nothing. If people didn't know the title of the book they wouldn't think of Dot talking about ketchup clouds as a point of interest almost as if it 'Fades into nothing' so I think personally believe Annabel Pitcher changed the name so people would find the moral understanding of the book without it being directed at them .I think if all writers did this maybe we would all connect with the books a bit more but then again we wouldn't know what they were about.(less)
DerBericht At the end she watched the sunset with a boy (no spoiler) and the clouds were red so she called them ketchup clouds.

Eve
Dec 18, 2014 Eve rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2015
"...my stomach ached with disappointment at the familiarity of it all. Humans. We're all the same. There's no escaping it...Doesn't matter what language you speak or what clothes you wear. Some things don't change. Families. Friends. Lovers. They're the same in every city in every country in every continent of the world."

If you're a Netflixter, then you're aware of the unique rating algorithm that essentially takes the guess work out of whether you will love or hate a movie based on your past
Jo
Nov 10, 2012 Jo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e, 2013
So, I have to admit, I’m extremely underwhelmed by this book. I’ve never read My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece but I’ve heard it’s great. It never really appealed to me though, I’m not sure why.

But Ketchup Clouds appealed to me, really it did. I was captivated by the gorgeous cover, the wonderful title and the intriguing synopsis.

I guess you know what they say: you shouldn’t judge a book by a gorgeous cover, a wonderful title and… well, you get the gist.

This was such a disappointment. There wa
Melissa (Book Nerd Reviews)
Jun 04, 2013 Melissa (Book Nerd Reviews) rated it really liked it
What a charmer. There's quite a lot of things I really liked about Ketchup Clouds, and I'll talk about those things in this review. But firstly, about the novel itself. It's a uniquely told story in that we're reading this novel through a series of one way letters from an English girl who calls herself Zoe (not her real name, but that's how I'll refer to her throughout) to Stuart Harris, a murderer who is sitting on death row in Texas, USA. This in itself was enough to pique my interest and made ...more
Elizabeth
Dec 20, 2013 Elizabeth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Immature and childish story about a teen girl caught between two brothers. I am obviously not the target audience for this one.

No idea what the title is about.
Charlie
Trigger warning: Sexual consent issues. Slut shaming. Sexual coercion. Talk of domestic violence leading to death. (view spoiler)

Synopsis:
Someone is dead. Zoe says she's responsible for his death. The narrative is insistent we won't find out who or how for far too long, like, all the damn book (leading to awkward reminises about 'The Boy' and 'Her Son'). I'm calling this the GIANT AWFUL SECRET
Temilouise
Aug 26, 2013 Temilouise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, ketchup clouds. After reading this book I still do not know why it is called ketchup clouds. Well not really.

If you are looking for a happy summer read which leaves you in the same way as you were before you started the book then maybe this is not for you.

This book is about a girl and two boys. Yes I know what you're thinking not another love triangle but, it is more a story about a girl finding herself and accepting what she has done. She writes to a man of death row, she does not give h
Sarah Churchill
Mar 06, 2014 Sarah Churchill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Please can Dot be my little sister?!
G
Jan 12, 2015 G rated it really liked it
I don't know why, but I somehow love reading books of the contemporary genre. And for the record (aside from its strange title), I chose Ketchup Clouds because of its cover (haha can't help it) and its interesting synopsis that got me curious all along.

"I've done something wrong and do you know the worst thing? I got away with it."

The main character can't keep her secret to herself any longer, so she decided to tell her story to someone. She introduced herself as Zoe. Her story was told from
Liam
Aug 30, 2014 Liam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
( 4.5 stars )

I've had this book for ages and literally knew very little about it but recently I felt an urge to just finally get round to reading it and WOW this book took me by surprise!

The concept and characters all felt so real and I really enjoyed reading this book and seeing how the story unfolded. I can't help but feel as though the ending was slightly anti climatic but it kind of helped make the story seem even more real and interesting!

The family in this book were so so well written and
Vendea
Nehorázné překvapení... Naprosto mne nadchla jediná věta na obale... Musela jsem... a bylo to naprosto boží. Citlivý, skvěle napsaný příběh s autentickou hlavní hrdinkou a zajímavým námětem. Byla tam i vážná stránka, což se mi líbilo. A na konci mi i ukápla nějaká ta slza... A je to psané v dopisech. Takové knihy miluju.

4.5/5*
madametschenni
Jul 16, 2014 madametschenni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ein sehr bewegendes Buch!
Anne
Oct 21, 2012 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When Annabel Pitcher's debut novel My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece was published in March last year she really raised the bar for authors of young adult novels and set herself a very very high standard to keep. The novel was shortlisted for numerous awards and was praised by other authors, by the press and by book bloggers.

I was very excited to receive a pre-publication copy of her second novel Ketchup Clouds which will be published by Indigo (an imprint of Orion) at the end of the year.

Ketch
Beatriz
Aug 11, 2015 Beatriz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Overrated.

No es el peor libro del mundo, pero la forma de escribir de la protagonista me desesperaba. A punto estuve un millón de veces de abandonarlo. Encima es tan evasiva durante todo el puto libro. Le estás escribiendo a un convicto, cojones, ¿tienes que esperar hasta el último momento para decirnos quién la palma?

Y el tema del convicto me ha tocado un poco los huevos como se trata... A lo mejor es por la traducción, no sé, pero el tío lo condenan a muerte por matar a su mujer (y a su vecina
Erik
Kečupové oblaky sú pre mňa tento rok najúprimnejšia a najautentickejšia výpoveď tínedžerského rozprávača.
Keď som knihu otváral, nič som od nej nečakal. Čakal som niečo príjemné a v pohode, veď predsa aj tak o knihe nikto nikdy nepočul.

Annabel Pitcher ale vie písať. Vie zachytiť to, aké decké skutočne sú.
Román je písaný v listoch, ktoré píše hlavná hrdinka väzňovi v cele smrti. Napísať dobrý román v listoch je naozaj ťažké. A toto sa podarilo, už len ako hneď nazačiatku napíše, že bude rozhovo
herinfinitepages
Rating: 4.5/5

This book. Just wow. I could honestly say I connected INSTANTLY to the character's voice. The whole mystery surrounding who she killed and why she killed was just intense. I couldn't put it down once I started.

This wasn't just one story about Zoe, the main character. It interweaves 3 stories together. Zoe, Stuart's, and Dot's. The plot and story line was fast paced and makes you ponder why, what, how, when.

I didn't really like the ending to Zoe's part. The way it ended was just uns
Stacey (prettybooks)
Ketchup Clouds is a book that had been loitering around my wishlist for while, even though I didn't really know what it was about (ketchup?!) so, because my curiosity got the better of me, I finally checked it out of the library. I wasn't too sure what to expect, but I didn't expect to fall in love with it straight away. Ketchup Clouds is one of those books that makes me tell everyone I know about it (of course, everyone already knew about it since it won the Waterstones Children's Book Prize 20 ...more
Stephanie (Stepping out of the Page)
Since hearing about Ketchup Clouds, I was eager to get my hands on a copy of it! I absolutely loved the sound of the blurb and Annabel Pitcher is one of those authors that I think will always appeal to me - she has the most interesting ideas and a very unique voice.

The whole idea behind this story was something that immediately intrigued me. Our main character, Zoe, has made a big mistake, committed a crime, and has decided that she can no longer keep it to herself, so she decides to let it all
Dawn Abron
2.5 but it wasn't good enough to bump it up to a 3.
Not what I was expecting.
(view spoiler)
Naty
Jul 16, 2015 Naty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
4,5*
Ja len....WOW. Nemám slov. To bolo tak pekné, tak reálne, tak neskutočné a neobyčajné....viac neviem...musím sa spamätať.

9.12.
Well...tak teda. Táto kniha ma tak úprimne prekvapila, že som to totálne nečakala. Poznáte ten pocit, keď ten príbeh totálne žijete a spolu s tou hrdinkou dýchate ten istý vzduch? Tak toto je ten prípad. Zoe, dievča s obrovským tajomstvom, ktoré píše listy väzňovi odsúdenému na smrť a pomaly rozpráva príbeh. Svoj príbeh, ktorý nepovedala nikomu. Táto kniha bola totáln
Kluxorious Kluxces
Urgh I suffered through this book. Zoe just pissed me off. She's selfish and such a bitch! Aron is no better. How can you do that to your brother! Jeebus.

I am not going to be coherent with this one. This book doesnt deserved any more attention. It is one of my disappointed reads of 2016.

The style of writing is so immature. Just urgghhhhh

Story 1/5
Character 2/5
Development 3/5
Enjoyment 2/5
Style of writing 2/5
Overall 2/5
Radek Trykar
Nebylo to špatné, ale a) nepřináší to do žánru nic nového, b) táhne se to hůř než námořnické lano, c) hlavní hrdinka byla tak nudná, jako je Penny nejhloupější hlavní hrdinkou ve vesmíru.
Juli
Jan 17, 2017 Juli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Es una novela interesante.
Sigo medio shockeada.
No sé que esperaba de este libro pero sin lugar a dudas superó mis expectativas.

!
Petra Sýkorová
Patnáctiletá Zoe tráví chladné noci jiným způsobem, než aby klidně spala v posteli v pokoji – píše tajně v kůlně na zahradě dopisy Stuartu Harrisovi, usvědčenému vrahovi, který v Texasu čeká v cele na smrt. Mají oba totiž něco společného – oba zabili… jenže Zoe to prošlo.

Cítí, že ji jen Stuart dokáže pochopit a že jen jemu může popravdě vypovědět, co všechno se stalo a co všechno ji tíží na srdci. Doufá, že prostřednictvím dopisů dokáže ulehčit své duši a konečně dojít smíření…

Annabel Pitcher se
Teresa
Oct 22, 2012 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Annabel Pitcher’s debut novel My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece was one of my favourite reads of 2011 so I have been keenly anticipating her second novel, hoping that it would engage me and move me in a similar way. Well, it’s a very different type of novel but I’m delighted to report that it packs the same punch as its predecessor.

The novel is composed of a series of letters written by a fifteen year old British girl and addressed to Stuart Harris, a prisoner on Death Row in Texas. Initially,
Aisha
Apr 06, 2014 Aisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first heard about this book from Charley over at CharleyReads on YouTube. When she described the book, I was immediately interested. You don't read much YA that deals with the people in prison.

In Ketchup Clouds, by Annabel Pitcher, the main character, "Zoe", writes to a death row inmate in Texas. She starts writing to him in order to confess the crime she thinks she has committed. The inmate, Stewart Harris, seems to be the only person she can turn to. "Zoe" feels like she has no one else to t
Lynda
"Dear Mr Harris....Ignore the blob of red in the top left corner. It's jam not blood, though I don't think I need to tell you the difference". And so begins the story of 15 year old Zoe, a troubled teen, in letters she writes to Stuart Harris, a convicted murderer on death row in Texas, charged with murdering his wife.

I enjoyed the epistolary structure of the novel. Through her letters Zoe recounts the troubled events of the past year of her life. The intimacy of the letters and the freedom Zoe
Marky
Jan 03, 2017 Marky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Překvapení!
První kniha roku a rovnou pět hvězdiček?
Páni!

Dočítala jsem to ve tři ráno. A brečela.
Přečtěte si to ♥
Elise
Aug 20, 2013 Elise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review may contain spoilers.

This book is about people. Real people with real, relatable lives. It tears at your heart. 'Zoe' is desperate. So desperate she'll send anonymous messages to a murderer. I don't believe she is a murderer. She made mistakes. Of course she did. Awful mistakes that caused somebody's death. But she is a human being. Stuart Harris is a human being too. Nobody deserved to die.

I like to think of this as a love story. But it's not a love story between Zoe and Max, or Zoe and
Mandy
Jan 18, 2015 Mandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh wow, I'm still trying to gather my thoughts about this book. I started reading Ketchup Clouds knowing pretty much nothing about it, but still hoping it would be a good read because I've read some really good things about this book. And oh my, what a lovely surprise I had.

I can't really describe this book to you, half of it is a cute contemporary story with heartwarming characters and also real life problems about family but on the other side the main character is pen paling with a death row c
  • Cruel Summer
  • Adaptácia
  • Red Ink
  • Being Billy
  • Picture Me Gone
  • Paper Aeroplanes (Paper Aeroplanes, #1)
  • Heart-Shaped Bruise
  • You Don't Know Me
  • A World Between Us
  • Wise Young Fool
Annabel Pitcher studied English at Oxford and has since worked as a script writer and an English teacher. She lives in Yorkshire with her husband. MY SISTER LIVES ON THE MANTELPIECE was her first novel. She is a full-time writer.
More about Annabel Pitcher...

“Let's pretend for just one moment that could actually happen. You close your eyes and I'll close mine and let's dream the same dream across the Atlantic, lighting up the darkness between us. Can you see it, Stu? Can you see us up there, shining in all the black?” 51 likes
“That's not how you're going to live, Bird Girl. Not on my account. Spread those strong wings of yours. Fly.” 48 likes