Start by marking “A Brief History of Manga” as Want to Read:
A Brief History of Manga

A Brief History of Manga

Manga is more than a genre in the comics field: it is a vital creative medium in its own right, with hundreds of millions of readers worldwide, a host of graphic styles, and a rich history now spanning seven decades.

Now for the first time, that history is told by an award-winning expert in the field. Covering topics from Akira to Mazinger Z, this book is fully illustrated
Published July 15th 2014 by Ilex Press (first published September 9th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Brief History of Manga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Brief History of Manga

Μαρία Ν.
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
For a brief history of manga this was a very informative book.I already knew some of the information told but most of it was unkwown to me.I did not know manga had such a history behind it,I am so glad I picked up this book.
Pedro Bello
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
interessante, por enquanto não acho grande piada a este tipo de BD mas não resisti a ler este livro .
Laura (ローラ)
Just picked up a copy of Helen McCarthy's "A Brief History of Manga" from the library. My impression is that it is 1. totally adorable, 2. visually engaging, and 3. fun fact filled. I also let my sister paruse through it, and she agrees with me. We're both excited about this mini history.

Because like it's title, it is exactly what it delivers:

1. It's Brief. Very Brief!

Each page contains several colour images, an interesting fact, a couple paragraphs on historical trends, and a timeline -- and al
Fatimah
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
قرأت هذا الكتاب من ترجمة احد الاشخاص في التويتر وفقًا لمبادرة شخصية وأعجبت حقيقةً من حسن اختياره للكتاب.
الكتاب عبارة عن سرد تأريخي لمرحلة بدايات الإنمي والمانجا من بداية التاريخ الياباني وحتى سنة ٢٠١٣ تقريبًا. الشيء المثير للاهتمام لك كقارئ أثناء تتبعك لتاريخ تطور المانجا والإنمي من خلال الكتاب اكتشافك لمدى تقدير اليابانين لقيمهم ومبادئهم ومدى حفاظهم على تراثهم وثقافتهم ضد العولمة توجد الكثير من أعمال الإنمي والمانجا المستوردة من الغرب لكن اليابانين اعادو
Thomas
Mar 24, 2015 rated it liked it
As I'm more into recent anime adaptations of manga rather than manga itself, I don't think this book resonated with me (especially the sections about older manga). I enjoyed learning about the underlying trends and developments in manga over the years, and I expect this book accurately portrayed the significance of game-changing titles like Neon Genesis Evangelion, but I felt like it could have been presented in a more digestible fashion. There is so little text that the book can be finished in ...more
Brijesh Kartha
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is brief as indicated by the title, but does pack a lot of information. One gets a fair idea of how Manga came to be and the listing of some influential Manga is a god place to start reading manga.
The timeline based bubbles are interesting too. I just wish some later edition consolidates all the chapter timelines into a 2-3 pager at the end.

[Cross posted the review to my blog, Amazon and Goodreads]
Bader
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book the most. It might be because of its subject :D. I found it actually briefly perfect: Nice, short, and a motivating to dig in more and more.
Kenny
May 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Power packed with essential milestones, highlights and characters in this mini encyclopaedia on manga.
Comprehensive and perfect for the attention deficit world today.
Allan
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I held back the last star, because it has a very British POV. Very short and thorough. I'd recommend it to any fan. However, compared to the Otaku Encyclopedia it's a little wanting.
Kristina
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, non-fiction
Good. Exactly what one would think, covering more than a century in a small book. Great pictures. Bought as a gift (and read first) from the British Museum.
Alex