Start by marking “El guardián invisible (Trilogía del Baztán #1)” as Want to Read:
El guardián invisible (Trilogía del Baztán #1)

El guardián invisible

(Trilogía del Baztán #1)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  15,767 ratings  ·  1,486 reviews
«Ainhoa Elizasu fue la segunda víctima del basajaun, aunque entonces la prensa todavía no lo llamaba así. Fue un poco más tarde cuando trascendió que alrededor de los cadáveres aparecían pelos de animal, restos de piel y rastros dudosamente humanos, unidos a una especie de fúnebre ceremonia de purificación. Una fuerza maligna, telúrica y ancestral parecía haber marcado los ...more
Published January 15th 2013 by Destino (first published January 15th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about El guardián invisible, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
MonsieurMarple
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  15,767 ratings  ·  1,486 reviews

Start your review of El guardián invisible (Trilogía del Baztán #1)
Jim Fonseca
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent Spanish murder mystery with great local color of the landscape, towns and customs of Basque country. Young women, aged 15 to 18 or so, are being ritually killed and left by the side of rural roads. Although not all are sexually assaulted, their clothing is slit open; their bodies are positioned a certain way; a local fancy pastry is left on their bodies; their shoes point toward the body. Although this is small town/rural Spain, the modern world is here: these young girls are into s ...more
Ken
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gripping Spanish murder mystery with a hint of supernatural superstition, the first in a trilogy is a brilliant start to exploring the Basque region of the country.

Inspector Amaia Salazar returns to her childhood home as she investigates a spate of killings.
Young girls are being found on the banks of the River Baztan, each being left in a certain way that sparks rumours of a serial killer.

The region also has it's own myths and legends with talk of Basajaun (a bigfoot like creature) stalking th
Paromjit
This book is set in Spain, the Baztan valley, Navarra. The author has crafted a story infused with the myths, folklore, history, culture and magic of the Basque region. Its an atmospheric location amidst the wooded valley with grey skies, endless rain and mists. Bodies of young girls are discovered by the river and the hunt for the serial killer is a twisted one. It is led by Inspector Amaia Salazar, married to an American, who has a complicated past. She leads a team of men which is problematic ...more
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I just want to say before I review this book that it's very handy to have all three books to read. Or perhaps as audiobooks as I did. Well, the first book did I have both as a paperback and audiobook, but I preferred listening to them. The narrator is fabulous! Anyway, they are so good all three, and it's like one book split into three parts. So, get all three!

In The Invisible Guardian do we get introduced to Amaia Salazar who will lead the investigation of the death of the teenage girl found on
Taryn
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-release
I have been to Spain, the country in which The Invisible Guardian is set, but because I’m the kind of traveler who is more along for the ride than holding the map, I had to do some Googling to figure out if I had ever set foot in the Basque region. What can I say? This is what happens when you’re a homebody with an unlikely group of globetrotting, bilingual friends. Someone says, “Wouldn’t it be fun…,” you agree noncommittally, and two months later you’re eating grapes at midnight as fast as you ...more
Liz Barnsley
**3.5 stars**

This was quite an intriguing read - the first in a series featuring Inspector Amaia Salazar, beautifully translated and a great piece of Crime Fiction.

My favourite thing about it was the mythology aspect - exploring local customs and legends in an area that I know very little about - I always find it fascinating when reading a novel set in a different culture and the author brings this to life in a really terrific way. There is also a historical element that was highly engaging.

As f
Rosa
Sep 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019, books
I wish I would have liked this one more, I think this is one of this "it's not the book it's me" cases.
I loved Todo esto te daré, but this El Guardián Invisible didn't work for me the same way. The writing is good, but too slow at times. I think this one would have benefited of less pages. Sometimes it's a bit repetitive and the ending was, in my opinion, rushed.
I liked reading about Basque Conuntry mithology, it was fascinating, and even more because being Spanish I didn't know anything about
Raven
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another slice of literary European crime, set in the Basque region of Spain. Although I did find a certain familiarity with the style of the writing, the historical and social detail of an area largely unknown to me, more than compensated for the more linear aspect of the plotting. I found the exploration of local superstitions woven into the plot incredibly interesting, and likewise the references to the Spanish Inquisition added another layer to the sometimes pedestrian characterisation of the ...more
Angel 一匹狼
"El guardián invisible" tries to be too many things: a serial killer thriller, a 'paranormal' story, a family in crisis analysis, a study on motherhood... and fails on all levels (except, maybe, the 'paranormal'). The atmosphere, the mood of the book, is the best of the story, and it is what will keep the reader going.

There is a serial killer working in the valley of Baztán, in the North of Spain. He or she is killing teenage girls, leaving them in the woods, half-naked and with a sweet on their
Bridget Vollmer
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow this was such a mind bender. I loved the blurred lines of reality mixed with mythology. This book had me questioning what was real and what was not and if someone is born evil or if evil acts committed are a result of one’s upbringing - nature vs nurture
QHuong(BookSpy)
This book took me forever to read. It started real strong with a horrible gruesome murder, and continued with more similar ones, which gave rise to a new serial killer that needed to be stopped. That premise was seen in many crime procedurals, so I expected more of the execution of the familiar synopsis. I knew that procedurals do not only center around solving mysteries but also focus a lot on the main detective’s private life and mentality, we are told about what they thinks, how they feels an ...more
Esperanza Navas
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I watched in Netflix but as always a lot better the book. Audiobook in fact and the performance was also amazing.Thriller with magical point. Characters well presented and developed. I enjoyed it. Highly recommended.
Mike Finn
A memorable, original, well-written book that snagged on a genre boundary inflexibility that I didn't know I had.

I used to add a tagline to my stories:

'What you read is not what I wrote. I provide the text. You provide the meaning.'

So I thought I understood that a book isn't just the text that the author puts on the page, it's also the expectations assumptions and preferences that the reader brings to the book.

Except, as reading 'The Invisible Guardian' showed me, I hadn't applied this know
Mariana
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5*/3.75*

Enjoyed a lot the mythology part, the inspector's past and the story overall were also good, but at some points I felt a little bored. Some parts dragged a bit, although it's a good story, a different version of crime novels, actually.
I was just hoping I would've liked it much more. Maybe it wasn't the right time for this book.
Stefani
Review to follow.
Cheryl
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I have read by this author. Sometimes with international authors there is a bit of a language barrier that can come across in the book. Yet I did not experience any issues like this with this book. I got into this book right from the beginning, yet I admit that then after the first four chapters I started to loss a little interest but this passed quickly and I was in for the whole journey from the beginning, middle and the ending. Which the ending was a good one. Worth the ...more
Malcolm Frawley
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first foray into Spanish crime fiction. Serial killings, a family saga, & a flutter of magic realism made it a very satisfying read. P.S. I read it in English.
Birdy
Jan 11, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
This book was a mixed bag for me. On one hand, I was thoroughly captivated by the murder mystery, folklore, and Amaia’s past. I was so captured by the plot that I read the book in two days, and I will probably read the rest of this trilogy. However, I felt like many aspects of The Invisible Guardian fell into the “telling not showing” trap. As a result, the story was missing a sense of atmosphere and the procedural aspects of the mystery felt wooden. For example, instead of using dialogue or ima ...more
Paige Gardner
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
English title - "An Invisible Guardian"

What started as me innocently picking up a book in a Half Priced Book Store and being intrigued enough to spend the $5 turned into one of the best books I read this year. It did not drag, and every scene felt as though it had a purpose. Dealing with a serial killer in a small Spanish town, I felt myself unable to guess what would happen next and who was responsible. Amaia was a strong and wonderful female lead, and I found her it to be an accurate portrayal
Karen Wellsbury
very atmospheric, seeped in cultural references with a great female protagonist.
The crimes themselves take almost secondary place to the exploration of Amaia and her relationship with her family, as she comes back 'home' to investigate a string of murders bringing her US husband with her.
This was not what I was expecting, I thought this would be more procedural, but this was a great read, I got a real sense of basque culture from this.
Onto book 2
Anetq
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this: Our investigator is forced to go back to her home town in a remote valley in the Basque Country, which she has avoided for years - to hunt a serial killer of young girls, who poses them in innocence and cake. The crimes, the work and the family business and trauma all take their toll - but luckily the local mythology is on her side.
This is a great series start, and while it has all the classic ingredients: The haunted detective, the dark past, woman in a man's world etc -
Kim
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Setting: Basque region of Spain; present day. This is the first in a series of crime novels featuring Inspector Amaia Salizar. As with most literary detectives, Amaia has her own dark past which is brought to the fore by her assignment as lead investigator in a series of murders of young girls centred around the village of Elizondo, where Amaia was born. Amaia's two sisters, Flo and Ros, still live in Elizondo - Flo runs the family's bakery business which Ros has just left after a fall-out with ...more
Siddhartha
Jul 29, 2016 rated it did not like it
It so difficult to read this book. Can not understand how it can be short listed for many prizes as claimed. It really fails as a mystery and ends up like some kind of family drama with a mystery at the end. What poor victims are outside family though. Failed to reward the effort put in reading at any moment.
Irene Quicksword
Sep 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF- I just found this incredibly boring, the murder at the start although different it just didn’t really take off. It kind of comes off as more of a soap drama with murder thrown in and from the description and the reviews I was hoping for something dark and gritty.

I don’t care if the main characters sister is a baker with a new TV show coming out.
Kate~Bibliophile Book Club
3.5 stars maybe?! Review to follow on www.bibliophilebookclub.com on Jan 29th! ...more
Catalina  in cuvinte
Won't rate as not to spoil the general score
Even if I like the murder mistery style and Alias Grace was I think on my read list in the last month, I just couldn't see or read the hype of this series. It kept trying to decide between describing, murdering and family drama. And that's fine... Just... I don't know, learning new things about the Basque Country like:
-txantxigorri- a local speciality made to a traditional recipe
-Aizkolari is the Basque name for a type of wood-chopping competition.
+ B
Karen Barber
Inspector Amaia Salazar has secrets, and when she is forced to her home town to investigate a series of murders it doesn’t take long before she has to confront some of her demons.
There’s a killer in the town. Preying on young girls there’s a ritualistic element to the killings. Days into the investigation there’s little headway being made.
A strange feel to this one with a definite focus on the unexplained. Relying heavily on old stories and superstitions, some of this was quite hard to follow (I
4cats
Apr 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Set in a remote Basque area of Spain where myth, superstition and reality blend into one. A ritualistic killer is on the loose, and so Inspector Amaia Salazar is asked to head the investigation, causing a rift between her and a male colleague. She returns to her childhood home to hunt the killer, however childhood memories start to surface causing flashbacks which torment her during the investigation.

Featuring a strong female lead, this crime novel interweaves superstition, myth and the horror o
Andy Weston
Oct 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: translated, crime, spain
Read while travelling through the Basque Country with a night over in Elizondo, which wasn’t quite as peaceful and rural as Redondo describes it.
She does tell a good story though. The plot is very much second to the place and it’s culture, which is a good job too, as any concentration on the killing of the teenage girls and associated detail is unpleasant and distasteful.
Ann-Marie
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh yes! I really liked this one. A story of murder, myth, family and old secrets. Also a story of police-work, forensic science and psychology. And all of it set in a interesting beautiful region.
Compañeros de lec...: El guardián invisible de Dolores Redondo 17 85 Jan 09, 2020 01:59AM

• Los ritos del agua (La trilogía de La ciudad blanca #2)
  • El silencio de la ciudad blanca (La trilogía de La ciudad blanca, #1)
  • Los señores del tiempo (La trilogía de La ciudad blanca, #3)
  • Reina roja (Antonia Scott, #1)
  • La novia gitana (Elena Blanco, #1)
  • Loba negra (Antonia Scott, #2)
  • Patria
  • La Red Púrpura (Elena Blanco, #2)
  • La nena (Elena Blanco, #3)
  • El día que se perdió el amor
  • Rey blanco (Antonia Scott #3)
  • El día que se perdió la cordura
  • Cicatriz
  • Aquitania
  • El paciente
  • La chica de nieve
  • Dime quién soy
  • Los renglones torcidos de Dios
See top shelves…
Dolores Redondo Meira nació el 1 de febrero de 1969 en Donostia-San Sebastián. Estudió Derecho y restauración y durante algunos años se dedicó a los negocios.

Comenzó escribiendo relatos cortos y cuentos infantiles. En 2009 publicó su primera novela, Los Privilegios del Ángel - (Eunate Editorial) y en marzo de 2013 se publicará El guardián invisible , primera novela de la trilogía del Baztán .

Actua

Trilogía del Baztán (4 books)
  • La cara norte del corazón
  • Legado en los huesos (Trilogía del Baztán, #2)
  • Ofrenda a la tormenta (Trilogía del Baztán, #3)