Start by marking “Mysterious Traveler” as Want to Read:
Mysterious Traveler

Mysterious Traveler

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  75 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
An uplifting tale evoking the golden sands of Africa by Carnegie Medalist Mal Peet and his wife, Elspeth Graham, captivatingly illustrated by P.J. Lynch.

Already an old man, desert guide Issa has seen thousands of dawns. One particular morning, however, the desert reveals something new; something that changes his life. Tucked away in a narrow cave, shielded from a treacher
Published October 8th 2013 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Mysterious Traveler, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mysterious Traveler

Alex Baugh
Jan 24, 2014 Alex Baugh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: randomly-reading
No one knows, understands or respects the African desert like Issa, who has been guiding travelers through it for many, many years. A desert storm can begin suddenly and before long, travelers are buried in the sweeping sand. One morning, as he was watching the sun come up, Issa realized there had been a storm, then he noticed a red ribbon with black and green embroidery on it in the desert. Hearing a cry and looking further, Issa finds a camel guarding a small baby.

Issa took the baby and camel
Apr 16, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-children
Oh what can I say, this was beautiful from start to finish, and the illustrations were more than up to par. My 8 year old daughter and I loved it. It was a perfect bedtime book about love, family, travel, faith, beauty, luck and destiny, and is based in Mali, Western Africa.
Rebecca
Apr 02, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it
A great story that I read to my two boys, who both enjoyed it. I loved the way that the author described things and all of the details that really helped me to see things. Also, the pictures are beautiful.
Bish Denham
Feb 03, 2015 Bish Denham rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Stunning illustrations enhance this simple story of family lost and found.
Tanja
A slim volume - but what a gem of a book! A fantastic tale of mystery and adventure, beautifully told and accompanied by stunning illustrations. The story reminds of salt and gold caravans crossing the desert and was inspired by a guide, apparently blind, who led such caravans on their dangerous journeys. I had a hard time categorising it - as it is mystery, adventure, historical fiction, even a bit of traditional tale, reminding of ancient legends or a tale from the Arabian Nights.
Lynn
Feb 04, 2014 Lynn rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile-nf
My biggest dilemma about this book is where to shelve it for optimum borrowing opportunity! Not exactly a chapter book or a picture book, it would appeal to a wide range of readers. Doing a book talk about it will probably be the best way to promote it.
Those who will take time to step into this desert world will be rewarded with a story of mystery, sadness, and joy.
Destinee Sutton
Jan 27, 2014 Destinee Sutton rated it really liked it
An old-fashioned tale that would make a great classroom or bedtime read-aloud for kids as young as six or seven. It's about an old man who guides travelers through the desert. It gives off a folktale vibe, though the story is original. I won't spoil the plot, but I will tell you it took me less than an hour to read and the illustrations are great.
Linda George
Feb 20, 2014 Linda George rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, kind of haunting story. Loved it. With the desert as the backdrop and camels as the mode of transportation, this is a trip away from snow and sleet! Much needed at this time in New England!
Linda Trott
Mar 22, 2014 Linda Trott rated it it was amazing
What beautiful language to tell the tale of a treasure found after a sand storm in the desert. The descriptions are fresh and colorful, the characters strong.
Amanda
Jan 09, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it
Loved the illustrations. Loved the caring spirit of the story. Loved how everything came full circle. Would discuss the faith issue, but that's me.
Dustin
Feb 14, 2014 Dustin rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
I liked this one. The boys are still too young to appreciate it, but they might like it. Good storytelling.
Wendy
Jul 09, 2014 Wendy rated it really liked it
Shelves: karla
Beautifully illustrated...a story of an unconventional family in a different culture.
Donna Nix
Jun 24, 2014 Donna Nix rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story!
Martha
Nov 17, 2013 Martha rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Marti, Alice, Librariansteph, Elissa
Mysterious Traveler is a story with the exotic flavor of an Arabian Night's Tale. It grips you from the start and leaves you savoring this powerful adventure in the desert. The gorgeous mix media paintings are haunting and intensify the mood of the story. This title would make an outstanding read aloud for multi-cultural units.
Meribeth
Sep 27, 2013 Meribeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: junior-fiction
Beautifully illustrated, matching the lyrical text, this story has almost a folk tale aspect. Desert guide Issa rescues a baby girl. Years later, when he has gone blind and she, Mariama, becomes his eyes, a wealthy young man with his servant companions seek a guide through the mountains. This encounter changes lives.
Lee Anne
Dec 10, 2015 Lee Anne rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful story!
Diane Strait
This is a stunning book and a beautiful tale set in Mali. A terrific read aloud for third grade students who study Mali as part of their Social studies curriculum. I love everything P. J. Lynch illustrates!
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Beautifully told tale with gorgeous illustrations. I am so thankful that I discovered this book.
Betsy
One Sentence Review: Short and sweet, this is almost a fable in its length and set-up but the concluding reveals are more satisfying than that.
Edward Sullivan
Sep 24, 2013 Edward Sullivan rated it it was amazing
A beautifully told and illustrated tale.
Clare Cannon
Mar 18, 2013 Clare Cannon marked it as not-sure  ·  review of another edition
picture book by Mal Peet?
PWRL
Nov 07, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Elizabeth Beverley
Elizabeth Beverley rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Heather Ross
Heather Ross marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
  • How I Became a Ghost
  • Nasreddine
  • Wangari Maathai: The Woman Who Planted Millions of Trees
  • Gone Fishing: A Novel in Verse
  • Like Bug Juice on a Burger (Eleanor, #2)
  • Open Mic: Riffs on Life Between Cultures in Ten Voices
  • The Truth of Me
  • Titanic Sinks!: Experience the Titanic's Doomed Voyage in this Unique Presentation of Fact andFi ction
  • Tales of Bunjitsu Bunny
  • A New Year's Reunion: A Chinese Story
  • Twelve Kinds of Ice
  • Dodsworth in Tokyo
200052
Mal Peet grew up in North Norfolk, and studied English and American Studies at the University of Warwick. Later he moved to southwest England and worked at a variety of jobs before turning full-time to writing and illustrating in the early 1990s. With his wife, Elspeth Graham, he had written and illustrated many educational picture books for young children, and his cartoons have appeared in a numb ...more
More about Mal Peet...