Start by marking “Two Boys Kissing” as Want to Read:
Two Boys Kissing

Two Boys Kissing

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  32,932 Ratings  ·  3,649 Reviews
New York Times  bestselling author David Levithan tells the based-on-true-events story of Harry and Craig, two 17-year-olds who are about to take part in a 32-hour marathon of kissing to set a new Guinness World Record—all of which is narrated by a Greek Chorus of the generation of gay men lost to AIDS.

While the two increasingly dehydrated and sleep-deprived boys are lock
Published August 27th 2013 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Two Boys Kissing, please sign up.
Daneil Newcomb Bare your heart to it. Let this book devour you, whole. It's worth it.
Frankie If you don't like reading about some instances of extreme homophobia and violence, or if discussion of depression, death, and suicide aren't something…moreIf you don't like reading about some instances of extreme homophobia and violence, or if discussion of depression, death, and suicide aren't something you're comfortable with this might not be the book for you.(less)

Lola
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
description

David Levithan has just become my new coup de cœur author. Every time I will find my heart aching for an LGBT book or a meaningful read, it’s in his works that I will look forward to plunge myself. And there are so many books of his that I have not had the occasion to devour yet. Yet.

It’s with a lingering sensation that I turned the last page. While this may be the kind of story that needs a certain conclusion to its plot (and you can feel it), I didn’t want to let go of the endearing, realistic
Claudia Ramírez
OIGAN. ¿POR QUÉ NADIE ME INSISTIÓ MIL VECES QUE LEYERA A DAVID LEVITHAN?
Este libro es PRECIOSO. Lo amé con todo mi corazón, ¡y escuché el audiolibro narrado por el mismo autor! Y ay, todo fue tan bonito.

Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
”Love is so painful, how could you ever wish it on anybody?
And love is so essential, how could you ever stand in its way?”

Oh my! *deep sigh* How am I even supposed to write a review about this wonderful piece of literature? I’ll try… Of course I’ll try, but I’m pretty certain it will be more than just tough to describe my deep love for this wonderful book!

”Two Boys Kissing” hit me right in the heart and triggered all those horrible and amazing feels and if I’m entirely honest I still don’t know
Debra
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Love is so painful, how could you ever wish it on anybody? And Love is so essential, how could you ever stand in its way?"

I don't even know how to do this book justice - so I will simply say READ IT. Seriously, read it! This is a book I want to go out and tell everyone I know about!

“There is no reason that we should ever be ashamed of our bodies or ashamed of our love.”

I loved, loved, loved the narration of the book by the Greek Chorus of gay men who died of AIDS. It was simply beautiful and ex
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
This small little 196 page book packs more of a punch that some 800 page puppy squishers that I've read. Just beautiful.

Freedom is also about what you will allow yourself to do.

Craig and Henry: they are the two boys kissing. Going for the world's record longest kiss.

Peter and Neil: already a couple

Avery and Ryan: new to a relationship and trying to make their way

And Cooper-who feels so lost

Tariq. My favorite character in the whole book.

Just read this book.

The first sentence of the truth is al
Blythe
Actual rating is 4.5 stars -- We gather the things we learned, and they don't nearly add up to fill the space of a life. You will miss the taste of Froot Loops. You will miss the sound of traffic. You will miss your back against his. You will miss him stealing the sheets.

Do not ignore these things.

** This review is not really a review concerning the book's merits so much as me rambling about how important I feel this book is for gay teens. My apologies.

Two Boys Kissing has officially cemented m
Emily May
Nov 14, 2013 rated it liked it

We think of the boys we kissed, the boys we screwed, the boys we loved, the boys who didn’t love us back, the boys who were with us at the end, the boys who were with us beyond the end. Love is so painful, how could you ever wish it on anybody? And love is so essential, how could you ever stand in its way?

The Good
This kind of book is still very much needed. What the blurb doesn't tell you is that this feels like several short stories woven into one, all of them surrounding the theme of gay t
Jaidee
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-stars-books
5 "poignant, wise, profound" stars !!

2017 Honorable Mention with High Distinction Read

This is a YA masterpiece. I am so immensely moved by this novel. If you know a gay youth...buy this for him and kiss him and let him know that you care. If you want to understand what it means to be a gay youth read this book yourself and allow your heart to open, swell and if its like mine will explode with sadness, gladness, thankfulness and hope.

These are such genuine stories of a variety of young gay me
Nancy
Cross-posted at Shelf Inflicted and at Outlaw Reviews

Don’t let the provocative cover stop you from picking up this book. It is about two boys, Craig and Harry, who are still good friends, but no longer together, locking lips to break the world’s record for the longest kiss.

Enough time had gone by that when they started kissing again, the electricity was gone, replaced by something closer to architecture. They were kissing with a purpose, but the purpose wasn’t them; it was the kiss itself. Th
Kai
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, glbt
“Things are not magical because they've been conjured for us by some outside force. They are magical because we create them.”

At first, I struggled to get into this and I put it down twice before it kept me reading. The most irritating thing about it and the only thing that bothered me was the first-person-plural narrative. It somehow made everything nostalgic and sentimental, which pulled me down at first. Another thing I struggled with was the many main characters!
I think the thing I liked the
Ari
THE COVER!
[image error] photo tumblr_lwggfnx1vU1r0whu6_zps62b78c10.gif
CAN.NOT.WAIT!!!

EDIT AFTER READ

Esil
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an unfortunate cover and title for this fabulously original book.

Looking at the cover, you would think this is a YA cheesy gay romance. Wrong!

Sure, there’s a bit of YA gay romance. But Two Boys Kissing is so much more. Where to start? The narrators are the collective voice of men who died of AIDS two generations ago. From a unique omniscient perspective, they tell the contemporary story of a few LGBT teenage boys. Two of them are trying to break the world record for the longest kiss. They a
Debbie
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Debbie by: Bianca
Pogo Stick Time!!

Well, I’m bouncing high on my pogo stick again! Wowser! Is this ever fun! If it hadn’t been for a couple of friends who went cuckoo over this book, I never in a million years would have picked it up.

First, it’s YA. I do like some YA, but if you line up some fiction titles, I’ll almost always choose the literary or contemporary books. Often the language in YA novels is just so plain. And if it’s topical, it runs the risk of being a message book that’s pushing its agenda in all c
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Thank you Text Publishing Australia for sending me this copy. No compensation was given or taken to alter this review.

We were once like you, only our world wasn't like yours. You have no idea how close to death you came. A generation or two earlier, you might be here with us.

We resent you. You astonish us.

I have never read a GLBT book in my life. I have never had an opinion on gay people. I have never needed to. I have never really thought about gay people.
Elyse
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This paperback has been sitting on my shelf for years.
I didn’t know it would be ‘that’ **amazing**.

I was almost shocked by the brilliance of what David Levithan created. SO EXCEPTIONAL!!!!

This novel - based on several true stories is phenomenally ‘timeless’ —a young adult LGBT *classic*.
A tribute to the past- present - and - future!
A ‘must’ read to get the magnitude of this book’s power on our lives!!!!
juan carlos
May 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SOY GAY Y SOY FELIZ SIÉNDOLO :)

TARDE 2 SEMANAS EN LEER ESTE LIBRO, POR QUE NO ESTABA BIEN EMOCIONALMENTE, PERO AHORA QUE LO HE ACABADO, SE QUE ERA EL LIBRO INDICADO PARA SALIR ADELANTE.

Este libro es un muegano de voces y emociones. Un compendio de alegrías, desesperaciones y tristezas. Dos chicos besándose es una monografía y descripción perfecta de la belleza de la diversidad, la naturalidad y el amor.

DAVID LEVITHAN ES UN GENIO Y GRAN ESCRITOR.

¿PARA QUÉ LEER DOS CHICOS BESANDOSE?

1. El tema d
Jeremy West
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I just want to say that Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan was possibly the most beautiful book I've ever read. I can't describe to you the feelings it gives but I can tell you that it will open your eyes dramatically. This book will change you for the better after reading it. Causing you to be aware, cautious, caring, and loving to everyone around you. I seriously cannot wait to share this book with others.
Melanie
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved it! I loved that the story was narrated by gay men who have passed away. It gives the story so much extra meaning.

Here are some quotes that, for me, packed a punch:

"***** fell to the ground, remembered someone telling him to curl up, to protect himself that way. They were laughing now, enjoying it, thrilled by it. He couldn't even yell for help, because the only sounds he could make were ones he'd never heard before, a wailing, gutteral acknowledgement of the sudden, intense pain as they
Louisa
I'd give this book a standing ovation if I could. Absolutely beautiful, life-affirming, and a story so needed amidst today's changing viewpoints on LGBT rights.

The cover and the title pretty much say it all. Two Boys Kissing runs the gamut of eight "main" characters - ex-boyfriends Craig and Harry aiming to break the Guinness World Record for longest kiss; Tariq, quasi-inspiration of the big kiss after getting beaten up by haters and staunch supporter of their challenge; steady couple Neil and P
Bianca
OMG! OMG! OMG!

This book ...
How do I convey how good this book is, when I'm shouting expletives in my head- the kinds that express incredulity at having one's mind blown away. I'm also very sleep deprived, thanks to staying up late to finish it. So, bear with me.

I was browsing through 700+ books on my Kindle, to see if anything jumps at me, hoping for a book that wasn't blah. Honestly, I couldn't remember why I bought this book, especially since I had been thinking "I've about had enough of readi
Chris Horsefield
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Don't be put off - by the blurb and the kind of silly sounding story of two kids trying to break a world kissing record (barf) ad that's like saying Great Expectations is about a woman who's ruined a wedding cake…it's so much more than the initial premise.
The two boys who are attempting the world record for kissing are the lynchpins of the story and the way that Harry and Craig communicate and support each other throughout their marathon is really touching. The reactions of the people around the
Debbie "DJ"
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt, own, ya, favorites
HOLY MOLY! This made my all time favorites list!

I never would have thought with a title of “Two Boys Kissing,” and a not so great cover, I would have loved this book so much. Also, I get a little perturbed when it’s always boys and not girls. But, this this is so universal it didn’t matter.

Levithan centers his novel around a true event, two boys kissing to break a world record. But, my oh my, the narrators are the previous generation of gay men, looking down with support, understanding, and even
Stacey
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Two Boys Kissing is a powerful read. The story encompasses several stories of the struggles of what it means to be a gay youth all the while describing the joy and pain of trying to break the world's record for the longest kiss. Was that a run on sentence? I feel a little overwhelmed from just finishing this deeply emotional book.

*cleansing breath* First of all, I'm delighted that this is a YA novel. I feel that it's a must read for every age, but the fact that it's shelved in the YA section wa
Reading Corner
I definitely enjoyed this book especially because I think it's message and relevance is profound.It was nice to read a book with so many gay characters instead of a gay character lazily shoved into a young adult book for the sake of diversity.This book deals with many important issues regarding sexuality like coming out and feeling comfortable with your own sexuality.

However, I think the story telling was poor and I felt parts of the book were overly dramatic and took away from the story.At time
Cheri
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Does he love me, I want to know
How can I tell if he loves me so
“Is it in his eyes, oh no you'll be deceived
Is it in his eyes, oh no you'll make believe
If you want to know, if he loves you so
It's in his kiss
That's where it is, oh yeah”

“It’s in His Kiss” / ”The Shoop Shoop Song (It’s in His Kiss)” Songwriters: Rudy Clark

I remember seeing this title when I read another David Levithan book, ‘Dash & Lily’s Book of Dares’ and enjoying it so much that I wanted to check out some of his other bo
Kat (Lost in Neverland)
Mar 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: eh
description

When The Doctor asks, you don't refuse.

After Finishing

3.5 Stars

Two Boys Kissing is not only a book about two boys. It follows the life of a long-time couple, a broken up couple, a new couple, and a boy searching to be part of a couple.
Watching over these boys are the lost ones. The people we have lost from disease and suicide, the ones who look at these boys with both worry and envy, the ones of a lost generation of gay teenagers not unlike the ones we're reading about now.

I was looking forwa
Mayra Sigwalt
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Eu posso dizer com certeza que chorei do inicio ao fim desse livro. Ainda bem q não é um livro grande, senão ia ficar desidratada. E não é porque acontecem coisas tristes e tragédias, é porque ele toca em assuntos do fundo da alma. A escrita do Levithan é tão poética e ao mesmo tempo simples, direta. Ele conversa com vc e toca onde quer tocar. Talvez por não ser um rapaz gay eu tinha tudo pra não me identificar com esse livro, mas eu não deixei um minuto de pensar em todos os amigos gays que cer ...more
♔ Jaela ♊ Killer ⚔ QUEEN
I have no words! This was absolutely amazing! I started it just a couple of hours ago and I couldn't put it down. So mesmerising!

I don't want to spoil the story, it's astonishing and I loved every single character, not only the "2 boys kissing", but also Avery and Ryan, Neil and Peter, even Cooper. They all broke my heart. I want to hug them all and keep them safe from any harm. Such wonderful souls!

This is a book about dreams, aspirations, feelings, heart-breaking, hurting, hope, dead hope, br
Isa Cantos (Crónicas de una Merodeadora)
Este libro... ni sé por dónde empezar. Es un libro precioso, pero que te destroza un poquito por dentro. En Dos Chicos Besándose encontramos varias historias paralelas de chicos homosexuales. Están Harry y Craig, que alguna vez fueron novios, y ahora quieren romper el récord del beso más largo del mundo que dura más de 32 horas; Neil y Peter, que llevan una relación bastante estable; Ryan y Avery, que empiezan a conocerse, a salir y a aceptarse más allá de cualquier prejuicio; Cooper, quien tien ...more
Victor Almeida
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2016
Lindo. Lindo. Lindo. E lindo também.

Esse é um dos livros mais diferentes que eu li nas últimas semanas. Não só pela forma como ele é narrado, mas por todas as histórias contadas. É Levithan: cheio de frases maravilhosas, delicadamente compostas, e que passam uma sutileza e complexidade ao mesmo tempo. Meu Deus como esse homem sabe o que tá fazendo! Li o livro todo em um dia e, apesar de demorar um pouquinho pra me acostumar com a narrativa, logo eu já estava dentro dele.

Os personagens são fantás
Young adult 3 15 Apr 22, 2018 01:36PM
the boys10101: one for josh 10 8 Feb 26, 2018 04:54AM
Diversity in All ...: Two Boys Kissing (April 2017) 10 73 Apr 17, 2017 07:28PM
  • Where You Are
  • Openly Straight (Openly Straight, #1)
  • One Man Guy
  • How to Repair a Mechanical Heart (Mechanical Hearts, #1)
  • Beautiful Music for Ugly Children
  • The Evolution of Ethan Poe
  • When Love Comes to Town
  • Collide
  • Fat Angie
  • Looks Over (Gives Light, #2)
  • Five, Six, Seven, Nate! (Better Nate Than Ever #2)
  • Alex As Well
David Levithan (born 1972) is an American children's book editor and award-winning author. He published his first YA book, Boy Meets Boy, in 2003. Levithan is also the founding editor of PUSH, a Young Adult imprint of Scholastic Press.

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Royal Ranger (Ranger's Apprentice, #12)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • I Hate Everyone But You
  • Love and Other Unknown Variables
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
  • A Messy, Beautiful Life
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
“Love is so painful, how could you ever wish it on anybody? And love is so essential, how could you ever stand in its way?” 362 likes
“Ignorance is not bliss. Bliss is knowing the full meaning of what you have been given.” 167 likes