Start by marking “The 8-Hour Diet: Watch the Pounds Disappear Without Watching What You Eat” as Want to Read:
The 8-Hour Diet: Watch the Pounds Disappear Without Watching What You Eat

The 8-Hour Diet: Watch the Pounds Disappear Without Watching What You Eat

3.38  ·  Rating details ·  586 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
In The 8-Hour Diet, David Zinczenko and Peter Moore present a paradigm-shifting plan that allows readers to eat all the foods that they love, while losing those extra pounds that they hate. But it's so simple it's like clockwork. Literally.

Research shows that by focusing their diet on 8 critical, nutrient-rich Superfoods—and eating as they normally would, but only within a
Published December 9th 2012 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about The 8-Hour Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 8-Hour Diet

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Goodreads is not really the place for diet book reviews (that would be Amazon), but I finished this book, so what the hell. (I even added the cover photo because it didn't have one!)

I read this book not because I need to diet but because I'm tired of people chastising me for not eating breakfast. For years I've managed my weight by skipping breakfast and not eating until lunchtime (noon or later); besides this, I eat normally and don't leave out entire food groups or deprive myself. This works f
Cassandra
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Been using this plan, really common sense, for about 10 days and lost 5 pounds.
Catherine  Mustread
Backed up with testimonials and scientific studies, this book proposes the theory that it is not what one eats that matters, but rather when one eats. Also known as intermittent fasting, the author maintains it is best to eat whatever you please but only in an eight hour period during the day – e.g. noon to 8pm, 10am to 6pm, etc. There are eight specific power food groups that should be included in the diet, though as a vegan, I automatically eliminate meat and dairy anyway. The author also main ...more
Pat
Jan 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Interesting approach to weight loss. Contains extensive "scientific" basis for the concept of controlled fasting. Seems adaptable to many other diet plans. I did lose 6 pounds in 2 weeks; will continue to see how it works. The "eat what you want and as much as you want" quick ads for this don't do it justice; the heart of the diet is about eating healthy foods; exercising; but all within the context of an 8 hour window.
Gregory
Jan 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Clear, concise, and doable. Frankly could have been written as a pamphlet. I've been following the plan which basically consists of fasting for 16 hours and then eating what you want during an eight hour period. I want to wait a few weeks to see how it plays out but so far I have lost some weight and it has been fairly easy.
Musaed Alshatti
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I usually don't trust new diet books .. but since the author is David Zinczenko I gave this one a shot .. the information is mind blowing .. I already felt an increase in my energy :-)
Nattie
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: incomplete
I thought this book would be really good, given that it's from David Zinczenko, but I didn't like it. IMO, it is never a good idea to tell people that they can eat as much as they want, for any reason.

Obviously people should have common sense, but not every human does. Telling some people to eat whatever they want, is like saying go to Burger King and eat every value meal they offer, as long it's in an 8-hour time block. Hmmm, I don't think they'll be loosing very much weight that way.

This book
Cleokatra
Jul 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
I actually agree with this type of eating plan and have followed it most of my life. So, now I have something to say when people criticise me for being too lazy to wake up early enough to eat breakfast.

This sort of diet does work, but it's not exactly honest of this book to suggest that you can eat whatever you want in those 8 hours. If you spend 8 hours gorging on doughnuts, you're going to look like someone who eats doughnuts all day. Even if you eat your 8 magic foods, do your 8 minutes of e
Kirsten
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it
I am working on a book challenge, and one of the requirements is to read a book I abandoned at a previous time. This was it. I read a lot of health and diet books because the information interests me. I bought this one when it first came out because it was getting a lot of buzz, and I have read other books by the author. There is some good information in here, but there is also quite a bit that reads like an infomercial.

As far as the program itself, I have followed it for a week, and without an
Beckiezra
I didn't read this book so much a browse it for a few hours at the library. There are some really funny phrases in this book that made me smile while reading what could be a boring topic. Diabetes as the zombie apocalypse, inhuman screams from slapped cantaloupes, crying in your cottage cheese, it's the little things that make a book more enjoyable.

The concepts in this book were laid out pretty simply and there were helpful charts to distill some ideas (making browsing much easier). The recipes
Tanya
Interesting concept and had cited studies with regards to the data. Eight still seems like a gimmick though - eight foods "I ate my eight!", eight minutes of exercise, eight hours of eating (which still means 16 hours of fasting--not so easy--I'm surprised he didn't say to do this "eight days a week..." but instead states that even with a minimum of three days results can be had. I looked but did not see if the data showed a benefit with a 9 hour diet instead of 8 hours.

Other data (not discusse
Ginger Parks
Mar 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
holy cow. it saddens me tremendously that although i consider myself a well-read, intelligent individual, i found myself nodding profusely, chapter by chapter, wondering why the hell i myself didn't put 2 and 2 together with regards to how the body works in reaction to the fuel we partake daily. every man, woman, and teenager who's ever taken both anatomy and physiology I and II shouldve been able to put this together after completion of those courses. shows how much "application" and "synthesis ...more
Claire Caterer
May 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I can't say this miracle diet worked the wonders promised. I tried it for 3 weeks and got exactly nowhere, and though the author claims you need to follow it only 3 days a week, I was following it 6-7 days a week with no results. However, that said, the book includes some very good tips for healthy eating, curbing cravings, and general principles. I find that my weight-loss efforts are helped by compressing my eating into about 9 hours a day, but that's not all it takes for me. Granted, I'm 48 y ...more
Angie
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Got a cook-book of an LDS women who is a nurse and married to an ex BYU football player. She tells of her weight-loss journey and she accidentally discovered after 5 years of frustrating weight gain, that what worked for her was pretty much this diet. I read it and am interested and so am trying it. Previously I did a month straight & various random weeks/days of the Fast Metabolism diet - which I do think has improved my metabolism, but is a lot more complicated and expensive to follow.
Laurie
Feb 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Read the book and do some research before you look down on the book. If you diet healthfully you can and will lose weight. I gained some benefits from this book. I am sleeping better than I have in almost a year. I have more energy in the morning, do not need as much caffeine, I have more energy for my workouts, including cardio.
Amy Summers
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very informative. Works well with my schedule. I will do a little more research, and watch my body rhythms do determine long-term effectiveness.
Jani
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I like the ideas in this book. Good presentation of plan and evidence. Easy to follow.
Tressa
Mar 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, dieting, health
I'm holding it hostage at three stars until I see if it works. :-/
Holly
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well, this is certainly not your average diet. I don't think it works as well as the author claims it does but I'm a picky eater so the likelihood that I'll ever say "I ate my 8" is slim to none. I also find that you cannot, in fact, only do it 3 days a week and lose weight. I've been doing this diet since, like, January and have only lost 4-5 pounds (depending on how my stomach feels in the morning). It's now May. So that's like...a pound a month. Better than nothing but not what I was expectin ...more
José Augusto
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
buen libro que habla sobre el ayuno intermitente. explicaciones científicas bien detalladas, acerca de los beneficios de este tipo de ayuno.
aparte que tiene recetas con los alimentos saludables que citan los autores y una guía de ejercicios para realizar en 8 minutos.
me gustaría que haya más historias acerca de personas que practicaron este tipo de ayuno pero en líneas generales, es un excelente libro para iniciarse en la dieta 16:8 horas.
Angela Fitton
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
I liked the concept but not the presentation. This book was a quick and easy read, but it read like a crappy magazine article with lots of bold headlines and not enough actual detailed support. I also dislike the gimmicks of over-utilizing the bummer 8 as in 8 hour diet, 8 super foods, 8 minutes of exercise. I prefer more science and less showboating.
Bob Wilson
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
Lots of great information here. The author put so much humor into the book it became distracting. He already writes in an engaging way, so he could have left half the humor out and it would have been an even better book.

Heidi
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not a big self help reader and try to avoid it at all costs. My sister recommended this book and so I decided to give it a go. I really enjoyed it and the humor kept it light and fun. Learned a thing or two while I was at it!
Jenny Koehler
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

Well written and enjoyed the author 's humour. The "diet" is explained well and I can't wait to give it a try.
Robert Jones
Doesn't really work.
Lafe
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult, health
The information is better than the book. The organization is good and the ideas to stick to the diet is helpful. I thought the benefits were over blown and over sold, I am 8 weeks in and I have more energy and feel amazing and my running and cardio have improved. I recommend the diet to everyone I know. I am currently down 8lbs and 4.5 percent body fat. If you try it stick to it for6 weeks before you decide. First week is rough, but after that is smooth sailing. Good luck!!!
Meigan
Mar 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I love me a good diet book. This was super helpful, and while it contained a ton of good information, many of the key points pretty much fall under the heading of "common sense". Don't eat all day. Don't drink sugary drinks. Eat 8 "superfoods", which are just your basic healthy foods to begin with. Turkey, dairy, nuts, etc. I think a more apt title would be, "Don't eat all day, and lay off the soda". Key points right there in the title.

What I did like about this book is that it introduced me to
Gabrielle
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book if you are new to intermittent fasting, but if you already have full knowledge then don't bother. I like the entire experience with the book and also gave that journalistic point of view similar to Drop Dead Healthy: One Man's Humble Quest for Bodily Perfection which I really like.

I believe intermittent fasting works if you put some discipline into it. When I first tried this it helped me lose weight and thankfully not having a lot of gout attacks. Along with exercise, I burned lots of
Jeremy
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this author's first book, The ABS DIET, which I loved. I lost weight and continue to eat following the basic rules set forth in that book. I was excited to discover a new book by the same author. I can't wait to give it a try. In a nutshell, the book promotes intermittent fasting. He persuades us to eat only within an 8-Hour increment, and to fast the rest of the time. For example, if you have your first meal at 10am, then your last meal should be at 6pm. Furthermore, the 8-Hour increment ...more
Don Gillette
May 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
The most asinine, unscientific, malarky I've ever read.
Boiled down, you only eat during an 8-hour period every day. Whether it's noon to 8:00PM or 11:00 AM to 7:00 PM doesn't matter--you only eat during those 8 hours. The rest of the time, the author claims you can stuff yourself with pizza, cheeseburgers, sugar-coated pork fat... whatever you want in any quantity you want.
Sure, he has some good "diet tips" in there about foods you should eat and foods you're supposed to eat, but the basic premi
  • Best Food Writing 2011
  • Gourmet Nutrition: The Cookbook for the Fit Food Lover
  • Meat Eater: Adventures from the Life of an American Hunter
  • How to Cook Like a Man: A Memoir of Cookbook Obsession
  • How I Gave Up My Low-Fat Diet and Lost 40 Pounds..and How You Can Too: The Ultimate Guide to Low-Carbohydrate Dieting
  • The Prostate Monologues: What Every Man Can Learn from My Humbling, Confusing, and Sometimes Comical Battle With Prostate Cancer
  • Watching What We Eat: The Evolution of Television Cooking Shows
  • Why Calories Count: From Science to Politics
  • The Big Sur Bakery Cookbook: A Year in the Life of a Restaurant
  • One Word That Will Change Your Life
  • The Colossal Book of Short Puzzles and Problems
  • The Ungarnished Truth: A Cooking Contest Memoir
  • New Aging: Live Smarter Now to Live Better Forever
  • American Bee: The National Spelling Bee and the Culture of Word Nerds; The Lives of Five Top Spellers as They Compete for Glory and Fame
  • The Frankies Spuntino Kitchen Companion  Cooking Manual
  • Haiku Handbook: How to Write, Share, and Teach Haiku
  • The Tudors: A Very Short Introduction
  • Brave Dragons: A Chinese Basketball Team, an American Coach, and Two Cultures Clashing

Nonfiction Deals

$2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
    $9.99 $1.99
    $8.49 $2.99
  • Dharma Punx: A Memoir
    $11.49 $1.99
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Queens Consort: England's Medieval Queens from Eleanor of Aquitaine to Elizabeth of York
    $9.99 $1.99
“All nuts are high in protein and monounsaturated fat. But almonds are the Usain Bolt of nuts: They’re undeniably nutty, but they still manage to finish well ahead of the pack. A handful of almonds provides half the amount of vitamin E you need in a day and 8 percent of the calcium. This handful also contains 19 percent of your daily requirement of magnesium—a key component for muscle building. In” 0 likes