Start by marking “Life Before Legend: Stories of the Criminal and the Prodigy (Legend, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Life Before Legend: Stories of the Criminal and the Prodigy (Legend, #0.5)

Life Before Legend: Stories of the Criminal and the Prodigy

(Legend 0.5)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  15,360 Ratings  ·  1,257 Reviews
Find out more about June and Day in this never-before-seen glimpse into their daily lives before they met in Marie Lu’s New York Times bestselling LEGEND series. As twelve-year-olds struggling to survive in two very different worlds within the Republic’s stronghold, June was starting her first day of school at Drake University as the youngest cadet ever admitted, and Day w ...more
Published January 15th 2013 by Putnam Juvenile (first published November 13th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Life Before Legend, please sign up.
Shatha J no! It's a better experience to read this after you know the characters well :)
Rysa This is my opinion just keep this in mind. I really like Life Before Legend though it is not as good as the other books because it is shorter ( 2…moreThis is my opinion just keep this in mind. I really like Life Before Legend though it is not as good as the other books because it is shorter ( 2 short stories one about about Day and one about June). They both are 12 then and adorable. Day is alone then, his knee really bad and my heart breaks reading about him. It's a bit disgusting and weird because Days first k*** takes place. The stories are really amazing.
It takes about June's first day at Drake College and it talks about her brother Metias! June has not friends and she's just so alone and reading from her perspective is kind of sad!(less)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
This was a cute little paperback that came with my hardback boxed set of the trilogy. It's just two little stories about Day and June when they were younger. I loved them both but I loved Day's better =)
kirstin ✿
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really like reading back stories, prequels, short story companions; they give us glimpses of what the characters' life had been before the storm finally hits. Or in other words, what used to be their normal life.

Life Before Legend tells us two different episodes of Day's and June's lives. At some point they happened simultaneously, one event resulting from another.

Episode one is about Day and his first kiss, yeah? (Ohh... I'm starting to adapt his dialect.) We were able to meet some of the peo
Dannii Elle
I have had this addition to the Legend trilogy on my list since reading and immensely enjoying the series late last year. I must say that I was a little disappointed. Life Before Legend is a collection of two short stories set a few years prior to the events taking place in the main trilogy. One story is from the perspective of Day, and one from June. It didn't add much to my knowledge and love of the series and I can't say I found the plot hugely intriguing in either tale. It was, however, in ...more
Karin Falkner
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
War nett zu lesen, ist aber kein Muss. Dazu mit 38 Seiten wirklich extrem kurz!
Wenn ich sie getrennt bewerten müsste, dann wären es für June's Vorgeschichte 5*, für die von Day 3*.
Ferdy
2.5 stars — spoilers

Meh. I kind of thought the whole novella was pointless and unnecessary — the story added nothing to the series. I didn't learn anything new from twelve year old Day or June. I already knew June was a loner and had no friends, I already knew she was admitted into university at age twelve, I already knew that the only important person in her life was her brother and I already knew she was full of herself. And I already knew Day was a flirt, I already knew girls loved him becaus
[Shai] The Bibliophage
This is a short novella giving a glimpse on one of the memorable days of Day and June before the Legend. Day recounting the memory of his first kiss and of June at her first day at the University. The stories on this novella show us that Day misses the company of a family and of June's respect and love for her brother Metias. I love reading these short novellas because they giving a glimpse on some important events of the lives of the characters in the books.
Emma
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's kinda hard to write a review of this because this has like 2 chapters: one from Day's perspective and one from June's.

So if you are a huge Legend fan, I recommend you to read this one too :) It's interesting and really quick to read!

4 stars from me.
Zahra Rhm
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
It has 2 episodes. One from Day's perspective and one from June's. For fan of this trilogy it is enjoyable.

The fun thing about prequels are that every character of the series you know will be ALIVE.

Carmen de la Rosa
Jun 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No tiene mucha información adicional...
En lo personal me pareció normal... nada importante.

Life Before Legend son dos historias cortas de Day y el punto de vista de June cuando tenían doce años. Eran tan pequeños y adorables. Day es uno de mis personajes favoritos de la trilogía. También adoro mucho a June, ella es simplemente increíble. Adoro a su hermano Metias también. Como dice la sinopsis en esta pequeña novela nos encontramos con Day y June mucho antes de que se conocieran. No tiene mucha
Dulce María
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Me encantaron estas mini historias, sobre todo la de June me ayudó a entenderla mejor y me encanta el personaje de Metías me hubiera gustando saber más de él sin duda el mejor hermano del mundo.
Josiah (bookishfanboy)
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
I FINISHED THE LEGEND TRILOGY. AND NOW I FINISHED THIS NOVELLA CALLED LIFE BEFORE LEGEND. AND IT WAS SHORT BUT GREAT READ TO KNOW MORE ABOUT DAY AND JUNE. NOW, I WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS AFTER CHAMPION, LIFE AFTER CHAMPION PERHAPS?
Toph
The stories were well-written but extremely predictable. 3.5 stars.
Vivianne
Really enjoyable, a great way to be back in the world again. But waaaayyy to short.
Jessica (BookObsessedJess)
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lara (Bookish_turtle)
ALL THE STARS! My precious cinnamon rolls June and Day are perfect! I am so happy that I got this extra material, it was well worth buying the entire hardcover boxed set just to get these 41 pages of new content. I must admit I hesitated because it was so expensive and I could have got the books so much cheaper, but boy am I glad that I ignored myself and bought them anyway, because it was so worth it! I am so happy to have read this!

Despite the lack of length, it was just so sweet!

Day's story w
Jackie
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
WOW THIS MADE ME MISS DAY AND JUNE EVEN MORE I NEED TO REREAD THE LEGEND SERIES ASAP
Mounim Kamel
life before legend is a prequel to the legend trilogy, since it is a short novella i don't have many things to say about it, generally if you like the triology and want to know more about Day and June, these short stories will tell you a little bit about their lives before any of the main events happen, and will tell you about their younger versions
Luz
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Again... Marie Lu world in Legend is amazing!
Melle➰
Jan 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Nette Geschichte für zwischendurch, die nochmal ein paar Aspekte aufgreift, sodass man gut auf Band 2 vorbereitet :-) (wenn man wie ich schon einiges vergessen hatte hihi)
Francisco Gama
May 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Desde hace tiempo quiero empezar con esta trilogía y que mejor que iniciar cronológicamente.
Day me parece un buen personaje, pero June se me hizo muy egocéntrica, casi no me gustó, en cuanto a Maise se me hizo un personaje muy adorable (por la atención que le brinda a su hermana).
Creo que en el transcurso de la trilogía, cambiaré de opinión o yo que sé, pero la trama se me hizo muy buena.
Ya veremos que nos deparará el futuro. (:
Euge
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Me gusto tanto la saga Legend que tenia que leer esto!

Sinceramente esperaba que fueran mas relatos (son solo dos). Me quede con ganas de mas. Tampoco revela nada nuevo ni aporta nada a la saga.

A pesar de todo le doy una buena puntuacion porque amo a June y a Day y fue reconfortante volver a encontrarme con ambos.
Nicay │The Nerdy side of a Queen
description

Dear June and Day,

I love you both. That's all. :D
Nur Raihan
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always been the kind of person to read prequel of the book in any series before starting the first book, so I read this before reading Legend. It has only 2 chapters- a chapter from Day's POV, and another chapter from June's POV. Since I was just exposed a little bit to the characters when they were 12, I am looking forward to see what will happen in their lives 3 years later! (I have a good feeling for this series, please let me be right about this)

Moving on to Legend :)
ᴄᴀᴍ
Feb 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Fue lindo volver a recordar esta saga, y aunque estas historias no aportan a la trama en si, siempre es bueno ver algo de estos grandes personajes y esta gran trama & mundo.
Alexandria
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-love
Legend è e sarà sempre uno dei miei libri preferiti.
Life before Legend si svolge tre anni prima dei fatti di Legend.
Sia Day che June sono dodicenni, alle prese con la loro diversissima vita.
Il breve Prequel racconta due episodi, uno su Day e uno su June, episodi che si svolgono contemporaneamente.

Day.

«Raccontami del tuo primo bacio. Com’è stato?» mi dice con aria assonnata, dopo una pausa.
All’inizio la sua domanda mi confonde, nessuna ragazza che ho conosciuto ha mai voluto sentirmi parlare dell
Diane
"You'll find your tribe. We all do. Someday, someone out there will see you for the girl you really are. Someday, you'll find someone who understands you."

I am a sucker for novellas, short stories, back stories, prequels and epilogues. Whenever I find out that the book I just read has one (or more), I make it a point to read them. I just feel that it just adds more depth to the story.

The events depicted here take place three years before Legend, when Day and June were only twelve year old kids.
Krina Satra (BooksAndBookmarks)
I loved the Trilogy, but this wasn't what I wanted really in a novella.
I mean I got to see the two characters I love being in a situation I'm not accustomed to seeing them in, and them acting like it. I just didn't enjoy it much. I think I'd have enjoyed the novella more if it had been based on other characters like Tess or Metias or Thomas or something.

Didn't hate this, but didn't like it either. I seem to have a love-hate kind of relation with this book.
Kassiah
1-1/2 stars. It was almost okay. But I didn't like it.

You know how it is when you read a book that you love. You want more of those characters: their thoughts, their lives, any snippet of their histories or futures that you can get your hands on. That's how I always feel--I want more.

Sometimes, though, more comes at a cost that I'm not willing to pay. I loved Legend so much. I loved June and Day and almost everything about it. So when I saw that there was going to be more about their lives bef
Carina Olsen
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This won't be a long review, since it is two very short stories. But oh. It is two very good short stories! Life Before Legend is a short story from Day and June's point of views when they were twelve years old. And oh. They were just so small and adorable. Day is one of my all-time favorite characters. I also adore June very much, she's just amazing. I love her brother Metias as well.

First we read a story from Day's point of view at the age of twelve. At that time he was just all alone. And oh.
Rika - (The Unpretentious Reader)
Though it is really short, I really liked it.

We're already informed about how it was like for Day and June in this time of their lives.. but it's even better to see a glimpse of it ourselves.

I'd have liked for it to start from the moment Day woke up to found himself the only living among all the dead *it would have made a PERFECT start* but I guess we're not THAT lucky.. so we're just gonna make do with what we got.

June's part was my fav. It's nothing new to know she was a some kind of celebrity
The Nooks of Books: Life Before Legend (Legend 0.5) 1 10 Apr 06, 2015 05:09PM
  • Foundation (Razorland, #0.5)
  • The First Star to Fall (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1.5)
  • Roar and Liv (Under the Never Sky, #0.5)
  • Undone (Unraveling, #1.5)
  • As They Slip Away (Across the Universe, #2.5)
  • Isolation (Partials Sequence, #0.5)
  • Portrait of a Starter: An Unhidden Story (Starters, #0.5)
  • Ruled (Birthmarked, #2.5)
  • In Time (The Darkest Minds, #1.5)
  • Glitter & Doom (Masque of the Red Death, #1.5)
  • Raven (Delirium, #2.5)
  • The Shattered Mountain (Fire and Thorns, #0.6)
  • Prophet (Struck, #0.5)
  • Tomorrow is Today (Tempest, #0.5)
  • Bridge of Snow (The Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Stolen (Taken, #0.5)
  • Phoenix Overture (Newsoul, #0.5)
  • The Witch of Duva (Grisha Verse, #0.5)
[Note: Many apologies, but I'm woefully bad at checking my Goodreads emails! If you'd like to send a note/msg, please catch me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Marie_Lu . Thanks!]

I write young adult novels, and have a special love for dystopian books. Ironically, I was born in 1984. Before becoming a full-time writer, I was an Art Director at a video game company. Now I shuffle around at home and ta

Legend (3 books)
  • Legend (Legend, #1)
  • Prodigy (Legend, #2)
  • Champion (Legend, #3)

Young Adult Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • American Street
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Inexplicable Logic of My Life
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wish
    $5.67 $2.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Wednesday Wars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
“Keep at it, Junebug—someday, you’ll shake the Republic to its very core. You’ll be absolutely unforgettable. I know it.” 32 likes
“When you’ve been poor all your life, you never really think it could be any other way. And sometimes you’re even happy, because at least you’ve got your family and your health and your arms and legs and a roof over your head.” 31 likes