Start by marking “Human Remains” as Want to Read:
Human Remains

Human Remains

Human Remains is a deeply disturbing and powerful psychological thriller that will have you checking the locks on your doors and windows.

When Annabel, a police analyst, discovers her neighbour’s decomposing body in the house next door, she’s appalled to think that no one, including herself, noticed that anything was wrong.

Back at work, she feels compelled to investigate, d
Published February 1st 2013 by Text Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Human Remains, please sign up.
Linda Scott Adults. Gruesome scenes and psychological stressors

Start your review of Human Remains
Delee
This is a deeply disturbing book, and it is definitely Elizabeth Haynes darkest so far. I devour her books as soon as they are released and I have loved them all so far. In each book I can back track to different times in my life and see a little bit of myself in each central character, which makes them all very real to me.

HUMAN REMAINS is told from two main points of view:
Annabel -a lonely police analyst who lives alone except for her cat.-why don't lonely woman ever have dogs?-Annabel discove
La-Lionne
*5 scary, psychotic and yucky stars*

description

Absolutely loved it!
I was hesitant to read this book because of some of the reviews I've read that said it's nothing like the first book, that this one is slow, boring, gross and disgusting. Actually, gross and disgusting was the reason I decided to read it anyway :-). And why should it be like the first book anyway?
It's true, the book is slow paced and could feel like a drag. But I loved the book because of it. Stories like these should be descriptive and ha
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Go here....

or here....

Michelle’s Review – 5 Skulls – A+

This book is so disturbing. I hated what it did to me, how it made me think, made me question how I treat others, question my own motives, and question my relationship with my family. I hated how I was so deeply embedded in the mind of a narcissistic sociopath that I could predict his reactions. What does that say about me when I know how a sociopath is going to react (or in this case, not react)? It s
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
I decided to read this fantastic novel again as it had so much impact on it when I read it before, my rating stays the same at 5 stars. I have loved all of Elizabeth Haynes' books, this one being no exception.

What I love about her books is her inside knowledge because of her career in the police force in the UK that she can put across in detail in her books.

Then there is always that underlying creepy tension that makes her books a blend of psychological thriller/crime/police procedural.

How we
Karin Slaughter
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
You can always tell when an author really enjoys writing a story, and I think with this one the reader feels that in spades. The story tackles themes with which Elizabeth is more than familiar, and the psychological component can't be beat.
E. H. Nathasia
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Truthfully, I am a bit disappointed. The reviews were hinting on something really gruesome and terrible. It wasn't. At least for me. Maybe it is because I am already familiar with the topic discussed in the book. But still, an interesting highlight from the writer on connecting NLP, influence and intent.
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: four-star
This author certainly knows how to create a shocking read! Her stories are dark and hit upon some of the most secretive taboos in society.

Told from multiple perspectives but predominately from Annabel, the crime analyst, and Colin, the typically weird loner type with an obsession of decomposing human flesh.

When bodies increasingly start to be found in various states of decomposition, Annabel is determined to find the link between them. What she doesn't realise is that the suspect already has h
Andrea
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-kindle
This book was lacking it was slow and going nowhere for me.read other book from this author which I've enjoyed.didnt enjoy the characters theres no excitement or twist.hope next one is alot better.
Rosangela
This book was a friend's gift, an ebook.
I didn't know the author or the storyline.
And I'm not a fan of digital reading, but I decided to give it a try.
And the result? I really don't like reading e-books but Elizabeth Haynes has been a wonderful discovery for me!
Zoeytron
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Colin is a biology nut and a behavioral science aficionado. His life is one of careful order, his job is with the city financial department. He is a perfectionist and feels vastly superior to everyone else. Colin has long since given up on looking for Ms. Right as no one can hold to his standards. Oh, and his mother is in a nursing home. His take on that is this - 'May she rot quietly and stinkingly in her wingback armchair.' Delightful chap, wouldn't you say?

Annabel is a police analyst. She has
Ann Rawson
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Donnelle
Jun 30, 2013 rated it liked it
This one is tough (for me) to review. I don't think this is a book that can be enjoyed in terms of, say, liking what you're reading and fully intending to go back and reread it with some frequency, because the subject matter is far too sad, disturbing, and gruesome for that. Making things more complicated is that Elizabeth Haynes is a very talented author; one who knows how to evoke strong emotions in her readers. We're given insight into the lives of many of the "victims" (though calling them " ...more
Krystin Rachel
Creepy! Thrilling! Disturbing! Those are just some of the words used to describe this book, influencing my decision to read it. But beware: I did not get any of that out of this read. 2 stars. Whomp whomp.

It was plodding and utterly predictable. There was no tension, no mystery, no thrills and it was not creepy - just kind of gross sometimes, but even that was written like a science textbook, quelling the ick factor down to the bored-in-science-class factor. The only reason I kept reading was b
Cora Tea Party Princess
Nov 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF at 30%, which is a little over four hours in. I could not do the other 9, no way.

AUDIOBOOK.

This audiobook was awful. Truly awful.

Before I bought it, I listened to the sample. The sample was great; a British narrator with a pleasant voice who I felt really brought the character to life. I enjoyed the humour in the writing even in the five minute sample. And Human Remains was quite pleasant to listen to. For the first chapter. Only. Which is only thirteen minutes long.

In the second chapter, Ka
Michael
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
After going with a past and present narrative structure with her first two books Elizabeth Haynes has changed course with equally impressive results. The story goes of police analyst Annabel Hayer who discovers the decomposing body of her neighbour and is appalled when it is revealed that the person had been dead for along time without anyone seemingly noticing until know. After abit of investigation work Annabel finds out that there has been an unusully high amount of deaths in similar circumst ...more
Brenda
When police analyst Annabel Hayer arrived home from work one evening, all she wanted was to relax in a hot bath. But the fates had other ideas! As she walked to her front door, she detected an unpleasant odour – believing her cat Lucy had decided to gift her with a mouse or similar, she prepared herself, but the smell was worse than that. Following her nose to the house next door, a house she believed had been empty for some months, she was horrified to discover the decomposing body of her neigh ...more
Cleopatra  Pullen
Aug 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Having loved Into the Darkest Corner, but not enjoyed the storyline of Revenge of the Tide, I was unsure where Elizabeth Haynes third offering would lie but needn't have worried; this psychological thriller had me gripped from the first page, and remained so until the last word was read.

Annabel returns from her work as a Police Crime Analyst to find her cat covered in a sticky substance having visited the house next door. Going to investigate she finds far more than she expected.

The story is mai
Marianne
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Human Remains is the third novel by former police intelligence analyst and author, Elizabeth Haynes. Searching for her missing cat, police intelligence analyst Annabel Hayer enters the abandoned house next to hers. She is shocked to find the decomposing body of her next-door-neighbour sitting in a lounge chair. Back at work, her interest piqued, she checks the data for similar cases, and is disturbed to note that the number has spiked in the last few months. Her superiors are only vaguely intere ...more
Nova Berry
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
Malia
Sep 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
After the creepy but brilliant, 'Into the Darkest Corner', Elizabeth Hayes had a difficult task to follow it with something just as engaging. I'm afraid, for met at least, this was not it. 'Human Remains' is by no means a bad book, Hayes writing is sharp and the story well thought out.Inevitably though, I compared it to her first novel and it just didn't quite measure up.
What I like about this book and 'Into the Darkest Corner', is that Hayes doesn't make human weakness or neuroses something sha
Carla Palmeiro
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars
Very disturbing but interesting read.

I do think the author captured really well the mind of a psychopath, Colin’s chapters were always my favorite, however it is a bit hard to believe that all these people were depressive enough to just kill themselves or allow to be killed by starving, can’t seem to think of a worse death than that!

I was torn between ratings for this one but ended giving it 4 stars, it’s not a perfect book but it was gripping and exciting to read.
Nick Davies
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
This wasn't a comfortable read, nor a particularly enjoyable one at times, but it overall did impress me and strike me as impactful. The plot surrounds an apparent epidemic of people being found alone, dead and in a state of decomposition in their own houses, and a journalist and (unusual vocation choice) civilian data analyst for the police trying to get to the bottom of it.

I can understand those readers who complained that the book did drag a little at times, there was a slow sense to parts of
Liz Barnsley
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Ms Haynes, usually so good at writing about relationships, takes a U-Turn for "Human Remains" and writes about what the lack of relationships can mean. Annabel, Police Analyst,discovers her neighbour's decomposing body in the house next door. Horrified by her discovery, she researches the subject and finds that such cases are terribly common in her home town. Told from the point of view of Annabel, Colin who works for the council and various "victims" this is a chilling read and one that won't l ...more
Gayle
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Elizabeth Haynes is fast becoming one of my favourite contemporary authors. I absolutely loved her first book which I stumbled upon by chance and this third book is excellent too. It focuses on an unusual serial killer and the unique way he preys upon his victims (I shan't say any more than that at this point). It is very dark as it highlights the group in society which wants to withdraw from the world and whose absence is not always missed. I also liked the narrative from both the perspective o ...more
Heather L
I think if this would've had fewer pages, I probably would have felt differently and rated it higher. I thought Colin was creepy, Annabel was sad, and all the victims were just so depressing. I know this is a psychological thriller. But for me, I did not get connected enough to the story or the characters. This was verbose and just too drawn out. I'm a little bummed for I had high hopes with this one. I really enjoyed Into the Darkest Corner. Ah well, I'll try more of Haynes in the future. This ...more
Bill Kupersmith
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Elizabeth Haynes has been a wonderful discovery for me, principally for her marvellous and engaging characters. I really care what happens to them. In her first book, Into the Darkest Corner, I probably cared too much. Following Cathy first as a the victim of terrible domestic abuse and then as a sufferer from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder was very painful. She starts out as a 20-something living in Lancaster (a town I quite like) living the life of a "ladette"; dressing up every weekend and goi ...more
Lindsay
Jan 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
‘I wanted to go home and lock the door and not open it again.’

This is the third novel from crime writer Elizabeth Haynes and for me this is her darkest yet. Annabel works as an analyst for the police. She is lonely, with just her cat Lucy for company at home, and a few visits a week to her housebound mum to separate her days. She works hard, and doesn’t have any other close relationships, seeing the friendships amongst others at work go on around her without being part of them, feeling rather di
Katy Noyes
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Another winner from Haynes.

Annabel works as a analyst for the police. She lives with her cat, has no friends and cares for her housebound mother. One night she finds her neighbour's dead body, sat at home, apparently starved to death. Soon after, she notices a pattern of vastly increasing similar suicides in the town, all of lonely and vulnerable people. But this story isn't just about Annabel, it's also about Colin...

I'm trying very hard not to give away vital twists and plot points.
Sue G
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is an unsusual and intriguing story and as well being a gripping thriller it is also fascinating to watch the main characters develop over the course of the book. It’s thought-provoking and certainly makes you question the power of the mind.

The opening chapter is great example for any writer who wants to see how to create tension - proper edge of your seat stuff!

We see the events unfolding from two different perspectives. Annabel is an intelligence analyst for the police. She's overweight,
Lynn Spencer
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is truly a psychological thriller. On the surface, the action actually appears very quiet. Annabel leads a fairly drab life and often seems to wander through her job as a police analyst. Meanwhile people are being found dead, apparently of natural causes, in their own homes in Briarstone. While some of the details of folks who have been undiscovered for some time after death can get a tad gruesome, there is very little by way of overt violence in this book.

The plot basically centers on
Others... 6 56 Jul 26, 2014 11:18AM
Night of the Livi...: August 2014 Selection: Human Remains 1 8 Jul 22, 2014 12:41PM

• Accidents Happen
  • Freak (Creep, #2)
  • Violet
  • Franci's War: A Woman's Story of Survival
  • Requiem: Poems of the Terezin Ghetto
  • The Burning Air
  • The Book Keeper: A Memoir of Race, Love, and Legacy
  • Aflausn (Children's House, #3)
  • The Furies
  • Freeze Frame
  • Leftovers
  • Cry Baby (Callum Doyle #4)
  • The Christopher Killer (Forensic Mysteries, #1)
  • The Race
  • Graft
  • The Pretty Girl Killer
  • Silent Redemption (Ava Saunders #3)
  • The Family Upstairs
Elizabeth Haynes grew up in Seaford, Sussex and studied English, German and Art History at Leicester University.

She previously worked as a police intelligence analyst and lives in Norfolk with her husband and son.

News & Interviews

“Nobody can see pain. They have no frame of reference for pain that's happening to someone else. They can only see inactivity - which they interpret as laziness.” 18 likes
“You never realise what loneliness is until it creeps up on you - like a disease, it is, something that happens to you gradually.” 15 likes