Start by marking “Just Good Friends (Escape to New Zealand, #2)” as Want to Read:
Just Good Friends (Escape to New Zealand, #2)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Just Good Friends

(Escape to New Zealand #2)

Some bets were made to be lost.

Kate Lamonica isn't Koti James's type. Too small. Too dark. And heaps too much work. So it's an easy bet that he can be her friend for six weeks without making a move on her, no matter what his mates would have said.

Kate can't believe she's made the bet at all. New Zealand had seemed like the perfect escape from the stalker who'd threatened
Published January 1st 2013 by Rosalind James (first published August 30th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Just Good Friends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Good Friends

Darcy
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, audio-book, romance
I hated how this book opened, hated the danger that Kate was in, but was glad that she had a safe place to run in her friend Hannah. Kate seemed a bit like a fish out of water when she first landed in New Zeland, part of it seemed to be her still living in fear and part the new country. I did like how Kate quickly settled in. I honestly didn't see the romance between Koti and Kate. Koti was too much of a playboy. I was happy when Kate called him out on his behavior time and time again and their ...more
Kiri Fiona
It would be unfair for me to give this one a rating, when I couldn't even make it to the 30% mark.

What I loved:
- Koti was sexy, charming, playful and entertaining.
- All Blacks. This has All Blacks in it.
- The first chapter was intriguing. Not in-your-face-threatening, it had the anticipation of a threat down to a fine art.

What I didn’t love:
- That heroine is a dickhead. I get she has backstory, but I prefer a character who has some joy and... spark! This one is negative, forces her opinions onto others (including her friends)
KB Wayne

Caveat: I have read the Escape to New Zealand series and this may be my least favorite, but only because I didn't "feel it" for the two protagonists, Kate and Koti. I was spoiled by falling in deep like with the characters in Just This Once and Just For Now (which bookend Just Good Friends).

However, Rosalind James continues to be an author whose books I want to read (even if I'm not taken with the main characters) because of how she treats the reader: as if we're smart and interested in
maggieandteddy
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this Audible this week & finished today 9/15/18.
Wow. I can't believe that I waited this long to listen to the audible version. I remember Rosalind James mentioning how happy she was with Claire Bocking's narration of her books. As the Kiwi say, "Too Right!". Her voice is perfect. She does the NZ accent perfectly (IMHO) and she lowers her voice to do the male voices too- especially Koti's. It's been 5 years since I read this & I still want to run away to New Zealand (I've r
Lena
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Travel romance and snarky women fans
Shelves: romance, audio
C676E6A3-F099-453A-BFE1-D505147B8BD1.jpg

First listen/third read. Argumentative relationships, I mean passionate relationship, are not among my usual reads but this one got me through laundry day with a smile.

*****

This book improves upon second reading. Koti James is great character that will have you searching Pinterest for Maori men; you want to believe someone that well rounded exists. What sets this series apart is the travel log of exotic places in New Zealand and the ubiquitous Maori/Polynesian culture.
namericanwordcat
This book started a bit slow but got better and better in terms of plot, character development, and setting as it went along. I really enjoyed it. I really like plots that deal with what I call the beauty burden--when you are too good looking. This book deals with this plot wonderfully.
Alana ~ The Book Pimp
Really enjoy this entire series... lovely accents (Kiwi!) and I think they are sports romance stories done nicely. I'm MUCH more interested in rugby than I ever was before! Happy re-read series makes me happy.
Kim
Super fun book - great story! Takes place in beautiful New Zealand and I feel like I made a trip there myself!

I'm an American who never gets to venture and explore very far from home. So, I read to learn and experience life in other places. So often, though, the "flavor" of a certain venue tends to get watered down with editing until I may as well be reading about someone living across the street from my house.

It's almost a crime that I should have learned so much about a particular place and c
Dee
OMG that was painful, so not a correct portrayal of NZ as a whole. Yep the author captured our indigenous people, how they speak, their beliefs and heritage, and the Treaty of Waitangi which dates back to the 1800's.

This story is full of explanations of what the following are - Iwi, Mana, Whaneu, Taniwha (powerful spirits) Maori Mokos, legends and myths, and of course our renown sport Rugby. So if you are looking for a story on NZ Maori history you will probably love this story.

I gave it 3 star
Eva • All Books Considered
Really really love this series!!!
Brittany
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four stars.

The main characters in Just Good Friends are Kate, an accountant, and Koti, a rugby player. Kate is strong and wary. A bit of a contradiction there I know. She's so wary because she has honestly lived through a nightmare. But she doesn't let that stop her from living her life, which is why I believe she's so strong. Koti is charming and a bit cocky. He's cocky because he believes he's this great rugby player. And don't get me wrong. He is. But his cockiness is a little bit overwhelmin
Katerina
I was a little disappointed with this one.
I liked that it took place in New Zeeland but at no point could I relate with the characters, their story left me rather cold.
A book with about 290 pages is normally a short read for me, because I can finish it in no time, but this one just dragged on and on with nothing exciting to happen...
The conversation between Kate and Koti felt staccato and unemotional to me and I could not understand what was so special about them, that made them fall in love for
Kim
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book after reading the free download of her first novel, Just This Once and instantly fell in love with the entire series. Ms. James certainly does not disappoint in this book as Koti and Kate both work through their own personal issues as their relationship grows.

This one is a little bit darker than the others as Kate is running from a violent past that catches up to her in the climax of the story.

I appreciate that Ms. James takes the time to fully develop her characters and plotl
Ruthie
I've been devouring this series and I thought I'd better write something before I get to far away from this book. I find it so interesting that so many reviews gave this 3 or fewer stars. My sister recommended this series because she couldn't put it down and now I'm the same way. I'm reading the 4th book as I write this. "Just Good Friends" is my favorite so far. Cheers to Rosalind James for bringing these stories to life!
Bonnie
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-books-read
I liked her first book in this series better. This one took a little longer for the story to develop. Although this one did delve into Maori culture more and explain more of the history of the Maoris and NZ. She does however mention more towns and locations on the North Island in this book than she did in her first book. Reading her books makes me want to go back to En Zed again.
Vix001
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I came across this completely by chance as a free book on amazon and now I'm hooked on the series. What's not to like, strong female characters, hot, beefy rugby players and a faraway land! The descriptions of Koti's arms is enough to keep me reading.
SandraE
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
I read the first one and loved it so much I immediately bought and read the second book. I am happy to say I enjoyed this one just as much as the first book.
Tracy Kellies
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's official. I am moving to New Zealand! I love me some Koti. He is charming, flirty and oh so sexy. I've never really been a fan of sports romance but I am loving this series.
Courtney Reedy
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet

Fun and sweet...enjoyed the book. Loved the characters and how they struggled but made it through it. Great book to read.
iamkindle
Couldn't finish it. Beginning was good but then dialogue and writing got bad.
Emma
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad but just ok - 2.5*

Another american girl meeting up with a member of New Zealand's All Blacks. Kate is hiding out after a bad experience with a stalker back at home. Koti is a super good looking playboy who instantly rubs her the wrong way. They end up trying to be friends and eventually fall in love.
Tina
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have really enjoyed the Rosalind James series Escape to New Zealand. There are 5 books in all, and each one tells a unique story of a relationship blossoming from first introduction on. The first book is Hannah and Drew’s story. It is arguably the slowest of the 5, providing the New Zealand setting and the Rugby football instruction. While the slowest of the 5, it is in no ways a negative on the book itself. In book one, Hard working Hanna meets hard working Drew, and together they learn that ...more
Malinda
4 stars

This was a very good story. Kate and Koti are great characters and I had fun seeing them become friends and then more. This is the first book I've read by this author and I liked it well enough that I'm planning to read more (probably the rest of this series). I will mention that this book takes place in New Zealand and has a lot of slang, some is easy to figure out and some not so much. There is a glossary at the end of the book...make use of it. :D

Kate is an accountant and a nice person
Serena
This is actually a 1.5 stars book.

After reading The Hooker and the Hermit I was in the mood for a rugby romance book so I found this. I was let down.

I'd like to offer you a description but I'm not sure I can. All I can tell you is that apparently the heroine thought that the hero was gorgeous, something she told him more times that I can count at this point.

I don't think I've ever struggled so much with a book before and by struggle I mean actually understand what the characters were saying.
Franjessca
Review also posted on Book Lovin' Mamas

I think I am in love with every male character that Rosalind writes about in her Escape to New Zealand series. I fell in love with Koti from Just this Once and now I am even in more love with him. (even though he was considered the player of the bunch)
He stole my heart though in this book and I am a little jealous over Kate. =)

Kate Lamonica is hiding out from her ex-boyfriend and decides to catch a flight to New Zealand to be with her friend, Hannah who is
I enjoyed this book more than the first one. Not because I liked Koti (the H in this story) more than I liked Drew. I did, however, like Kate, the h, more than I liked Hannah. I also think I'm getting used to the NZ lingo and James' writing style, which definitely contributed to my overall enjoyment of this story. Overall, this was a story with a traumatized h and an H who needed to decide if he wanted to grow up and become a man. It was an oddly compelling story and I was surprised by how much ...more
Susan Lawson
I think I read the reviews of a different book bc I was expecting such a great book.

There was absoluting no descriptions of anything or anybody. I know the h has dark hair and is short but that is it and we know only bc that is not the H's type. He is into blondes.

That it was set in NZ I was hoping for some descriptions of the beach that she swam in every week. Or how about descriptions of what the characters look like. Or how they felt.

Also, the H & h come off as two young adults if not tee
Tonileg
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, romance, sports, series
Contemporary New Zealand romance with rugby players and an American woman escaping from her American stalker. Miss Kate Lamonica needs to find a completely new life away from America because her last boyfriend Paul has become a crazy violent stalker, she doesn't need to worry about her family because her dad is tough and will protect her mother, but she starts over with her friend Hannah from Just This Once who moved over to New Zealand a few years ago, so she will do the same to find a new life ...more
Jan130
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
It was OK.
Jo Anne B
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this thinking it was the first in a series but after I read it I learned it was the second book. I can't wait to go back and read the first book now.

I loved Kate! She was such a strong woman. Kate's past made her that way and her witty banter with Koti was hilarious. Koti being the handsome, famous rugby player that can get any woman he wants but meets his match when Kate doesn't show any interest in him. She isn't Koti's usual type because she isn't drop dead gorgeous or model material
  • Roll The Dice (Vegas, #2)
  • Moosed Up  (Wild Men of Alaska, #2)
  • Taking Charge
  • Past Due
  • For Internal Use Only
  • Prank Wars
  • Playing With Fire (All Fired Up #1)
  • The Chocolate Temptation (Amour et Chocolat, #6)
  • Lawless (Aspen, #2)
  • Hardball (Philadelphia Patriots, #2)
  • Feels Like the First Time (True Love Story, #1)
  • Olivia
  • Forever My Lady
  • Laura's Big Break (London Books, #2)
  • The Bargain
  • The Mistress of Trevelyan (Trevelyan #1)
  • Dirty Little Secrets (Marisela Morales/Dirty #1)
  • The Last Bride in Ballymuir (Ballymuir, #1)
Rosalind James writes contemporary romance and romantic suspense published both by Montlake Romance and independently. Her stories are set in New Zealand, Idaho, California, New York . . . really, anyplace that seems cool. (Research trips, especially those involving lots of rugby, are a bonus.) Her books are available in ebook, paperback, and audio formats. Rosalind is a former marketing executive ...more

Escape to New Zealand (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Just This Once (Escape to New Zealand, #1)
  • Just for Now (Escape to New Zealand, #3)
  • Just for Fun (Escape to New Zealand, #4)
  • Just My Luck (Escape to New Zealand, #5)
  • Just Not Mine (Escape to New Zealand, #6)
  • Just Once More (Escape to New Zealand, #7)
  • Just in Time (Escape to New Zealand, #8)
  • Just Stop Me (Escape to New Zealand #9)
  • Just Say Yes (Escape to New Zealand, #10)
  • Just Say (Hell) No (Escape to New Zealand #11)
“Everything in Australia is trying to kill you, haven't you heard? Half of the ten deadliest snakes in the world live in Queensland. And then there are the poisonous spiders and the jellyfish. Not to mention the crocs and the great white sharks. Another point in favor of New Zealand. Very benign place, En Zed.” 9 likes
“You teach people how to treat you.” 1 likes