Start by marking “Shadow of the Wolf (Sherwood's Doom, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shadow of the Wolf (Sherwood's Doom, #1)

Shadow of the Wolf

(Sherwood's Doom #1)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  656 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
A world of gods and monsters. An elemental power, rising. This is Robin Hood, reborn, as he has never been seen before…

Robin Loxley is seven years old when his parents disappear without trace. Years later the great love of his life, Marian, is also taken from him. Driven by these mysteries, and this anguish, Robin follows a darkening path into the ancient heart of Sherwoo
Published July 3rd 2014 by David Fickling Books (first published July 4th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow of the Wolf, please sign up.
Tim Hall I am currently writing the second book, which is called Winter's Teeth. My publishers have not yet set a publication date, but it should be released…moreI am currently writing the second book, which is called Winter's Teeth. My publishers have not yet set a publication date, but it should be released sometime next year (2016). (less)
Tim Hall Shadow of the Wolf was first published in the UK in July 2014. It was published in North America in May 2015. Your proof copy must be the American…moreShadow of the Wolf was first published in the UK in July 2014. It was published in North America in May 2015. Your proof copy must be the American edition.(less)

jv poore
The story of Robin Hood has captivated crowds from Disney fans to lovers of Mel Brooks’ “Men In Tights”. Mr. Hall breathes fresh, furious berserker air into the fable. Although this telling is like no other, there are scenes and scenarios that are spot-on similar to my fondest recollections. Shadow of the Wolf is Robin Hood, maiden Marian, the evil Sheriff of Nottingham; but with back-story that explains so much, yet reveals so little.

Sympathy for Robin comes quickly. In his own village, and on
Sam Whitehouse
This turned out to be one of the best books I've read this year. It's also one of the best high fantasy books I've ever read. It takes the legend of Robin Hood and turns it completely on it's head. There are elements of the original Hood legend woven throughout (Marian, the merry men, the sheriff) but this book is thick with fantasy elements from a dozen different books and films. And that is not a bad thing. Tim Hall's writing is some of the best I've ever read, rich in detail and some of the m ...more
Amy
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Robin Hood story so original it could have been written first! Forget swashbuckling and merry men, this tale is filled with sinister magic, ancient prophecies, possessed sheriffs, reluctant heroes, and savage damsels that are far from distressed. Breathtaking imagery and lyrical writing create one of the most sophisticated stories I’ve read in a long time. I was captivated from the first page!
Lanie
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well this has been one of the most interesting and original robin hood stories I've ever read. &ive read a lot, so that's saying something.

Now, it's not just a robin hood story. There's tons of fantasy in here. Some mythology (loved the forest gods parts!) Some horror sorts of stuff that would have been right at home in an episode of "supernatural". Its an interesting mix and works really well as a whole.

N mystery. Lots of that! I'd have to get the next book just to make sense of it all. :)
American Mensa
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shadow of the Wolf by Tim Hall is an incredibly dark, supernatural and gore-filled retelling of Robin Hood, which almost requires the reader to throw out their previous conceptions of the folktale. I thought it was a new perspective on this old story, to an almost uncomfortable extent. I enjoyed the read in the sense that it was unlike anything I had ever read previously, but I would not recommend it for younger readers. Death and violence is prevalent and there isn’t a ‘happy-go-lucky’ feel to ...more
Natalie
Jan 02, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
Can someone please tell me WHAT this has to do with Robin Hood? Completely bizarre (not in a good way) story that makes no sense. It is 471 pages long - about 371 pages longer than it needed to be. I wish there were a negative number of stars I could give this - because this book is about a -5 in my book.

Epic Fail
Book_Wonders
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
First, I have to take a moment to talk about how beautiful the book cover is. I bought this on my Kindle, but I want to buy the hard copy, just for the amazing cover.

This is a book which is hard to put into a category. I will call it a historical supernatural fantasy OR high fantasy. It follows a boy - Robin Loxley - over a series of about 8-10 yrs of his life. I am not sure about how much time has lapsed in this book, so that is an estimate. The other main Protagonist is Marian Delbosque. She i
Leonie Byrne
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up on a whim in the library. The cover appealed to me (naughty judging a book by its cover, I know!) I've also always been a huge fan of Robin Hood and have enjoyed many different adaptations. This one, this is my absolute favourite.
Incredibly well written, Tim Hall drags you head first into this fast paced novel and it just becomes more and more incredible as it goes on. I was physically unable to put it down, I read it in bed, I read it while cooking, I read it on the train
Polly
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing retelling of the Robin Hood story - and also not what I expected at first. It was really grisly, I don't think I've ever read a book with this much torture and gore in it, and even if I did, I for sure wouldn't have finished it. But this story and re-imagining were so good that I didn't even care. The horror isn't put in just to shock, but it actually an integral part of Robin and Marian's journeys.

I can't wait until the next book is available.
Kallie Thompson
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was a little slow at 1st, but near the end, it started to become really exciting. I can't wait to read the rest of the series!!!!! What a crazy twist!
Grace
Feb 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
I was expecting this to be about werewolves, which I hate, but my desire to consume any media connected with Robin Hood knows no limits.

The good news: it's not actually technically about werewolves. Instead the supernatural powers at work come in the form of mythological elder gods of the forest.

The bad news: it might as well be about werewolves.

This book somehow managed to be both dull and also grotesque. When looking for something to describe as "boring," usually things like violence, madness
Fantasy Writer 4 Life
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well- written. I wish the library had the next book in the series!!! I will have to request it.
Charlie Peng
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was a mix of adventure, romance, and overall a pretty thrilling novel to read. The suspense at the beginning where it alluded to a greater wolf spirit gave the book a lot of mystery that I enjoyed. Also, the fact that the main characters of the story were two young children progressing from 8-16 years old was very relatable. I felt like it needed more action, however. Some of the action parts of the book were too predictable, and kind of felt too scripted. I kind of wish ther ...more
Kels Fidler
Title: Shadow of the Wolf

Author: Tim Hall

Age Group: Teen/Young Adult

Genre: High Fantasy

Series: Sherwood's Doom, book one

Star Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Stars

This book was given to me by the publisher, Scholastic, through Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review--thank you so much!

What do you think of when you think of Robin Hood?

Maybe it's this:

Or maybe this:

Or this:

Okay, I promise, I'm done with the gifs! (Also, I'll be doing this more often. Probably every review now. God, I love my husband for
SJH (A Dream of Books)
'Shadow of the Wolf' is an astounding new interpretation of the traditional tale of Robin Hood by debut author Tim Hall. I was very excited to read this book because I'm a huge fan of the original story and I couldn't wait to see which direction Hall was going to take with the plot and characters.

The story follows a young Robin who at the beginning of the book finds that his family have abandoned him. Left to survive on his own, he uses his independence as a shield to protect himself against fu
LouLou
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Read review in its entirety at http://www.compassbookratings.com/rev...

Tim Hall's YA debut novel Shadow of the Wolf exquisitely besets any affinity you may have for Robin Hood. This retelling cleverly distorts whatever you may think you know about the classic tale and turns in on its head. Set to be a trilogy, this foreboding chronicle has no merry men, no tights, and certainly no giving to the poor. So forget everything you think you know about Robin, Maid Marian, and Sherwood forest because yo
Claire
Mar 09, 2015 rated it liked it
I would just give this three stars - only just. I was expecting great things from this, as "a Robin Hood....as he has never been seen before...." What would be not to like. However, I felt very cheated and short changed. It's difficult to talk about the book because so much of it is pure plot and little else and that would lead to spoilers. The book begins well enough with a young Robin finding his way and Hall does create a believable world of a village with a hierarchy on the edge of the fores ...more
Emily♥
May 25, 2015 rated it liked it
There is nothing I love more than a book with an actual plot.

Or a book with drama and mystery.

Or a book where the underdog rises up.

Or a book with an array of interesting characters.

Or a book with a sweet romance that actually adds to the plot.

Or a book that suddenly turns into an episode of Supernatural.

Or a book with kickass actions scenes.

Or, any book that reminds me of Game of Thrones. (that’s an instant win.)

Shadow of the Wolf has all of the above. A gory and dark take on Robin Hood (and th
Richard Eyres
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook_2015
You think you know the story of Robin Hood? Forgot it all if you want to read and enjoy this book. To be honest, you are warned about this right from the off.
Virtually every aspect of the traditional Robin Hood story has been removed from this telling. Instead we get a young Robin and Marion with a special connection between them. We get a slightly mutilated Sheriff with a strong desire to imprison Marion. There is no Little John and Friar Tuck. There is a forest, and there are woodland gods.

To
Benjamin
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it
This was marketed as Young Adult, but like Abercrombie's Shattered Seas books there's very little of the genre in the writing aside from the protagonists ages and a simpler, more straight-forward story. There is a werewolf, but it's a more elemental, supernatural thing. This angle makes for a very different take on the Robin Hood legend and the characters are all very different as well. That's actually where the book partially fails. The story of Robin Hood is very well known so there is no need ...more
Charlotte Webb
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love books that retell a well known story in a different way. Shadow of the Wolf is a great retell of Robin Hood that was full of darkness and mystery. I could barely put this book down as I had to find out what happened next to both Robin and Marian. The forest gods were an amazing idea and fit into the story really well as well as adding mystery to it. One of the main things I loved was the way Robin could 'see' after the sheriff ordered his eyes to be cut out, how he could view the world th ...more
Kirsti
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book started out really slow for me, as the relationship between Robin and Marion progressed. At 100 pages, I had no idea how deeply I would be drawn into this dark and grisly world. But I was! By the end of the book my hands were desperate for more pages, and I hadn't wanted to stop reading, just to find out what happens next!

None of the characters are what you've been led to expect from cute, folksy Robin Hood tales. There is dark magic here, real vengeance. There is graphic torture and m
J.J.
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed this re-imagining of Robin Hood. Gripping story and first class writing! Hall's descriptions are so vivid, I really felt like I was part of the world and the character interactions are superb - really believable, never cheesy (as can happen when there's a little romance involved). I've always loved the legend of Robin Hood and the author has taken it to new and fascinating places.

The story did take a bit of a weird turn half way through but maybe I should have expected it to
theghostlysigh
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a very different book from what I thought it would be. At first I thought it was going to be Robin Hood as a werewolf. I was pleasantly surprised to find this book relies more on gods and mythology. It's a very dark and gritty ride at times so if you are looking for something upbeat I would avoid it. The world building was fantastic and there were definitely enough unanswered questions to leave me interested in a sequel.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Overall a very imaginative take on Robin
Maja Kron
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book when I started it, I just knew I was excited since I like the story about Robin Hood. And it managed to surprise me. It wasn't really like anything I could've imagined, but I liked it a lot. It was quite a dark story, with fantasy elements, and also details from different stories, which was cool. I'm a big fan of the characters, especially Marian. She was pretty badass.

So in conclusion, this is a fantasy retelling of Robin Hood, and you should read it
Beth
May 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Disclaimer: I won this book thru Goodreads First Reads. I like this genre, and I really liked this book. I like the total twist on the old story and of course I love that Marian in not a damsel in distress, but a monkey wrench in the works! Only one thing I didn't like. Spoiler alert! Spoiler alert: I did not like the ending. Too many things unresolved, so I am assuming (hoping) there is another book coming. . .
Amy
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm going to give this a 4 star rating simply because the writing was very well done. The story itself is about a 2. It delivers exactly what it says: forget everything you know about Robin Hood. Other than sharing character names, the stories could not be more different. This was incredibly dark and violent, depressing and lacking any kind of heroic value. You didn't want to cheer for anyone! I can understand some twist on an old tale, but this ruined it for me.
Billie
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderfully dark and magical re-telling of the legend of Robin Hood. Grimy and brutal, with a Sheriff who is straight-up sadistic and a Marian who is equal parts spoiled lady of the manor and damaged warrior maiden. Another of those YA titles that, but for the ages of its protagonists, could have easily been marketed to an adult readership.
Clare Doornbos
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Violent, disturbing and dark, this is Robin Hood as we've never seen him before. Especially as the real driving force in the story is Marion, she's not waiting to be rescued, instead she's masterminding the attack. Shocking and compelling and I have no idea what will happen next.
James Arce
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic read! One of my more favorite books I've read as of late. Gripping story, lots of chase, and the right touch of darkness! I can't wait for the next addition in the series. Well done, Tim Hall! Excellent twist to the tale of Robin Hood.
Similar YA books with transformed/cursed protagonists 1 2 Mar 27, 2018 04:44PM
  • Das Siegel des Feuers (Grim, #1)
  • Covenant (The Books of Raziel, #2)
  • Awakening (The Twins Of Saranthium, #1)
  • Die eisige Zeit (Das Spiel der Götter, #4)
  • Thistle & Thorne
  • Wishing Stars: Space Opera Fairytales
  • Dark Canopy (Dark Canopy, #1)
  • All That Lives Must Die (Mortal Coils, #2)
  • Hamish and the Worldstoppers (Hamish and the PDF, #1)
  • Young Knights Of The Round Table (Young Knights Trilogy, #1)
  • Der Pakt (Feuer & Glas, #1)
  • Das Drachentor
  • Allies & Assassins (Allies & Assassins, #1)
  • Darkmouth #2: Worlds Explode
  • Waiting For Gonzo
  • Oliver Twisted
  • Captive
  • Close to the Wind
In his work as a journalist, Tim Hall has written for the Guardian, the Daily Telegraph and various magazines. His debut novel, Shadow of the Wolf, is a fantastical re-imagining of the Robin Hood legends. It is the beginning of a trilogy, entitled Sherwood's Doom. He is currently working on the second book in the series, Winter's Teeth.

He lives in Gloucestershire, England, with his wife and their

Sherwood's Doom (3 books)
  • Winter's Teeth (Sherwood's Doom #2)
  • Untitled (Sherwood's Doom #3)