Start by marking “The Boy With Two Heads” as Want to Read:
The Boy With Two Heads

The Boy With Two Heads

It wouldn't be so bad if the second head was as calm and reasonable as Richard, but he isn't. Rude, rebellious and difficult, Rikki makes Richard's life impossible. On the football pitch, they're brilliant, working
Published June 6th 2013 by David Fickling Books

To ask other readers questions about The Boy With Two Heads, please sign up.
Isabella Rose There are now words to describe this book. It is one of the most fabulous and thrilling and heartbreaking then heart warming nail biting seat gripping…moreThere are now words to describe this book. It is one of the most fabulous and thrilling and heartbreaking then heart warming nail biting seat gripping book I have ever read. It made me cry my eyes out and I thought about it for weeks on end. Do read this amazing and marvellous book. It will stop your heart.
xoxo(less)

Shelagh (The Word Fiend)
Review from my blog: The Word Fiend

Rating: 6

The second I read the back cover blurb for The Boy With Two Heads I was hooked – there were just so many possibilities for this story and I knew I had to read it. The book didn't quite live up to my expectations, but its central themes of friendship and acceptance are important and well-handled.

The Boy With Two Heads starts at a great pace – Richard Westlake wakes up one morning with a suspicious lump in his throat and is rushed off to hospital. The lu
Anastasia Alén
Jun 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Concept itself was quite fascinating: "Two heads are always better than one - isn't that how the saying goes? Well that's not how Richard feels, when he wakes up to discover he's grown a second head." I think it was well-written, at times dark, at times funny, yet it was a bit confusing and it seemed to be missing the point somehow? Or I don't know if it was because of the two heads. Also, I guess I expected something else from the plot and the ending.

(Mulligan's Trash was far better.)

2,5/5
Stargazer
Feb 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: teenagers
A bit heavy for 8-12 year olds in my opinion. Some bad language, outrageous comments and violent behaviour with mentions of suicide. Not humorous either. A gritty read i'd probably single out for some older lads but doubt i'd put it in a primary school library.
I expected more out of the friendship angle. i liked the grandad connection and some of the story was gripping, but overall it wasn't what i wished for from possibilities within the concept.
Georgia
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The back of this book listed comedy as one of it's genres, yet both my mum and I failed to find anything remotely humorous within. Putting that aside however, this was extremely moving and well-written. It brought friendship, growing up, grief and guilt together to create a powerful story about the relationship between granddad and grandson.

When eleven-year old Richard Westlake wakes up one morning, he finds he can hardly breathe due to a large lump in his throat. Rushed to the hospital, doctor
Hibiki Tokuda
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Johanne
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed it as much as I expected. Great storyline. I appreciated the anger in the story as you do when you've experienced grief. Would read to my Y7-8 (NZ) class, but not younger than that. The deep emotion expressed and language are both fairly mature in my view.
Akshat Negi
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Stephen
Apr 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Imagine having a second head - a head that blurts out rude and hurtful things at the least appropriate moments. Well, that's what happens to 11 year-old Richard Westbrook. One morning, he wakes up to find a new head on his shoulders: the belligerent and sharp-tongued Rikki.

As premises for books go, that's pretty freakin' good. I was so looking forward to reading this, and it didn't disappoint. I loved the early scenes with Rikki - he was every bit as outrageous as was promised, and some of his l
Adele Broadbent
Ben Spring
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
The boy with two heads is a story about a once normal boy named Richard that grows an annoying, mischievous and overpowering second head. Richards second head Rikki makes all Richards friends hate him, his best friend becomes his enemy. Rikki makes Richard do many violent and irresponsible things, almost getting them expelled from school multiple times. Dr Warren had been watching Rikki for a long time and brought them in to his hospital. Dr Warren and Dr Summersby want to take out Rikkis brain ...more
Katy Noyes
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.
With thanks to Netgalley for the review copy.

A novel idea for a children's book, with the potential to be very dark. Richard is a normal eleven-year-old who one day begins to grow a second head. It can't be cut off or removed, it has a personality of its own, calls itself Rikki and begins causing trouble in Richard's life.

I wasn't sure where this story would go. Mostly the plot centred on the boys relationship with themselves, their schoolmates and teachers and their grandfather who h
Akhmal Aiman
Rating: 3/5 stars

Well, the title of the book says it all - imagine having a new head bursting out from your throat within 24 hours and has its own pair of eyes, a nose, a mouth, and a brain of its own. This book tells that of Richard and his daily struggle (that's what it claims, at least).

I think even without the new head, the story would go as fine. It's more of a story of Richard finding own tranquility after a traumatic accident (other than the emergence of the new head), compared to society
Nathalie Verweij
Aug 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: in-possession
Finished reading this book yesterday after taking a short break from it.

The book is quite enjoyable, but also very far from believable. Richard, the main character, is an 11 year old boy who experiences grief or loss of someone dear, for the very first time in his life. Not knowing how to handle these emotions, he grows a second head. This second head becomes a more aggressive version of himself, called Rikki. The two must learn to deal with each other and their emotions to get through life, whi
James Hargest Library
The Boy with Two Heads. 3/5
Andy Mulligan
Two heads are better than one, or is that true? Meet Richard, who wakes up one morning with a second head. It wouldn’t be so awful if Rikki, the other head was as calm and sensible as Richard but of course he isn’t. Rude, evil and with sinister intents Rikki makes Richards life a living nightmare. And when Rikki sabotages the school debate on live television he creates a wave of madness, directed at both of them. On the run from the evil Dr Warren, these t
Penguin Books NZ
(Rachel) Andy Mulligan is one of those wonderful writers who surprises with every book. His first novel, Ribblestrop, is a gloriously funny and inventive rollercoaster of a book, set in a bizarre boarding school, and filled with anarchic humour. Trash is completely different: a thriller set in the slums of the Philippines, it is fast-paced and exciting but also incredibly moving.

So I wasn’t sure what to expect with his latest, The Boy with Two Heads. At first glance, the idea of an ordinary boy
Kaylene
I wanted to like this book. I gathered that it was allegorical before I started reading it but the story was not strong enough to support the deeper meaning behind it. I struggled through to the end but it was not well written and I found it tedious and unrewarding. I read a lot of children's books as I work in a school library and like to be able to recommend books I've actually read myself. I won't be recommending this one.
Nick Gicewicz
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book wasn't one that I thought I would've liked. But to my suprise it was actually a really good book. It talked about how a kid had another head on his head that was with thin throughout his life. The book was very interesting and it was funny at time but overall a really great book. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes funny books but also books that you would not want to put down.
Julie Round
Aug 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
The librarian apologised for giving me a children's book but I started it and enjoyed it. I found it a little aggressive at times but I could see the author was trying to build a contrast. I suppose it might help a youngster trying to come to terms with a loss but I had to stretch my imagination to connect with the depth of emotion and the ending.
Clare Rudolph
One morning, 11-year-old Richard Westlake wakes up and notices a lump in his throat, just under his skin. His parents rush him to hospital. The lump gets bigger. Doctors take x-rays and panic. Soon, a second head pops out of his neck, looking almost exactly the same as the first, and demands to be called Rikki. This a good book for people who like medical books and and emotional books.
Danielis2boss4u
Sep 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
This Book was slightly disappointing.On the back cover it says 'comedy' but for some reason I did not find this book vaguely funny at all. The bright colours on the cover and the look that it might be a real funny book to read dragged me in, but in the end it was a disappointment. This is a true case of 'Dont Judge A Book By Its Cover'.
Fray Wongjan
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book tells me exactly what I knew: people die. what and how we deal with it is the real deal. It reminds me how much I missed my grandad and how I wish I'd say things I haven't had a chance to say now.
Steph
Nov 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: nbhs, read-2013
I'm not quite sure who the target audience is for this book and it kinda feels all over the place at times. Interesting idea though. But possibly goes on a bit too long if it's target is children or YA.
Ali
May 16, 2014 rated it liked it
More a story of finding peace with one self rather than how society will react to such a weird incident.

Ok, I guess. Nothing memorable.
Jess Donn
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
this book was weird.
15TindallL
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I recommend this book, it's very interesting
Clothereader
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read more of my thoughts on what I thought of this book on my blog http://clolovesbooks.blogspot.com/201...
Pam Saunders
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
I really enjoyed Trash, but this book, I just couldn't raise the same enthusiasm. Maybe it was the two heads, maybe it was the children seemed too young, or maybe it was the dull cover.

Vincent Ripley
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Review will be published first on http://mrripleysenchantedbooks.blogsp...
Jude
Jun 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This was an enjoyable story but it seemed to take me a while to read it. Andy Mulligan is certainly a good writer and I loved the way the two heads had very different personalities.
Megan
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-star, borrowed
Very boring, although that may have been because of the target audience, which I am not part of.

• The Fall
  • Thai-Riffic!
  • A Bus Called Heaven
  • The Day I Met Suzie
  • Juno Of Taris
  • Doomsday (The Phoenix files, #6)
  • Dragonfly Song
  • Circus Maximus (History Keepers, #2)
  • Rotten
  • The ACB with Honora Lee
  • Thirteen (The Last Thirteen, #1)
  • The Accident
  • Jeremy Bender vs. the Cupcake Cadets
  • Use Your Imagination
  • Withering-By-Sea (A Stella Montgomery Intrigue, #1)
  • Dancing Jax (Dancing Jax #1)
  • The Fantastic Flying Journey
  • The Ones That Disappeared
Andy Mulligan was brought up in the south of London. He worked as a theatre director for ten years before travels in Asia prompted him to retrain as a teacher. He has taught English and drama in India, Brazil, the Philippines and the UK. He now divides his time between London and Manila.