Start by marking “The Tree” as Want to Read:
The Tree

The Tree

When Sybil's father returns from off-world, he brings the children something they've never seen before, a tree . . .

The Tree - an environmentally themed short story of 5000 words.
Kindle Edition, 1st, 25 pages
Published 2012 by AMMFA Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tree

Start your review of The Tree
Clare O'Beara
This is a very short tale but full of thought. What would Cornwall be like in a future with no trees? A schoolchild is given a gift and a father works off-world.

Read and make sure it doesn't come about for us.

I availed of a free download offer. This is an unbiased review.

Quirkyreader
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a short but thought provoking story about a possible future.
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Imagine a world where there are no tress or other oxygen plants. That is the world for The Tree. I can't imagine a world like that because I love trees and everything they represent. Our world will be truly lost without trees.
Rosemary
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Written from the point of view of a young girl, (Sybil Chadwell) in diary form, it made me think of the poignant film W.A.L.L-e...as mankind has wrought havoc with his surroundings and moved on leaving his detritus behind.
Similarly we learn that Sybil's absentee father has gone to work on the Moon, leaving Sybil, her mother and brother behind to try to survive in a world almost like that in Total Recall.
Earth has become so polluted that inhabitants have to have 'gills' inserted in their throats
Garth Mailman
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a short story told by 13-year-old Sybil. She has an older brother Mickey who still lives at home but works full time, and younger twin brother and sister who live only for their gaming software.The story takes place in at post-apocalyptic world not far in the future where the atmosphere and oceans have been poisoned and trees can no longer survive. Father works off-world and brings home the tree of the title, a miniature oak. The twins are disappointed that they weren’t gifted with somet ...more
Susan
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This only took about 15 minutes to read. Quite depressing, actually. But entertaining and well-written. The future Earth has no plant-life and the atmosphere is toxic. People have implanted filters to be able to survive. This is written in diary form by a young girl. Her father works off-world and brings home a small oak tree as a gift for the family. Won't spoil it, but this story does not offer any hope for the future. Supposed to offer a glimpse into what our future may look like if humanity ...more
Norma
Nov 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
One hundred and fifty years into the future, the world as seen through the eyes of a thirteen years old girl. There no longer is land, or plants, no trees. Air has tho be filtered in processing centres then, again, through a personal filter in the throat. When her father returns after a six month work spell somewhere in space, he brings his earth-based family a very special gift: a tiny tree in a pot. But not all of the children appreciate it.
A beautifully crafted and very short story filled wit
Jenny
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant; a short story, but so very powerful.
There are more good ideas and strong emotions in this little story than in many long books - how the author stopped himself turning this into a much longer story is beyond me. However, the rigorous editing to keep this so short and dramatic has really worked well.
I almost wish this was required reading in schools!
Gabriella
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This shows a world I dread to see. No greenery, poisoned air and people so absorbed in their computers and screens that they care for no-one else. A tree brought back to a family by a father offshore, the care of a little boy trying to keep it alive in severely poisoned air. A short but poignant read that highlights the dangers of what our world could become.
Dinnl
Feb 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Short story about a world where there are no trees. Makes you think.
Sam
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! Well written, so well it gets you thinking! Still though it was enjoyable!
Providencia Padin
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
A nice short story about Man's inhumanity to the planet. The story takes place in 2177, the tree was suppose to represent the hope of the father and his daughter Sybil for the future and the environment. The death of the tree was the failure of man to protect the planet. Liked it,will be looking for more of his books.
LisaMarie
Nov 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
A world without trees...is this our future?!
A chilling, thought provoking, short story.
It's not just a story about a tree.

I'm not a big fan of short stories bur I do appreciate how much work goes into taking the reader on a journey in just a few pages. Chris Ward does an excellent job.
Teri
Nov 04, 2016 rated it liked it
An eerie short story. A story about a place with no trees. It was an interesting read with little punch but definitely touching.
Jesse Deleon
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Is this our future?

Thank you Chris Ward for your writing this short story. Like the classics of old I cried and had to ask this our future for the children?
Timendu
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
A beautifully written story about what is truly valuable/important
Susan Wright
Jun 26, 2017
Kristen
Feb 24, 2017
Andrea Stoeckel
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
“I hate them sometimes. Daddy’s been away for six months and they don’t even care about him coming back”

Father brings a special gift from his latest off world trip, a tree. No one has seen a real tree in many years since toxicity killed them all off. Her siblings ignore the tree because it doesn't DO anything. Father and Mother argue, and the oldest child simply stares at it.

And then Father is called off world, asking the family to care for the Tree. The twins ignore it until it is damaged. Can
Laurie
Nov 08, 2016
Sara
Jul 12, 2018

• Partners (Vegas, #1)
  • Spin the Wheel (Vegas, #5)
  • Roll The Dice (Vegas, #2)
  • Let it Ride (Vegas, #6)
  • One (Count to Ten #1)
  • Vegas Shuffle (Vegas, #3)
  • FreeLand - The Arrival (Rainbow System Book 1)
  • To Catch a Bad Guy (Janet Maple, #1)
  • High Stakes Gamble (Vegas, #4)
  • Seeing Red
  • The Stone Vault Datajack (Cyberpunk City Prequel)
  • Middle England (Rotters' Club, #3)
  • Dangerous Passage (Southern Crimes, #1)
  • Starbound (Shadows of the Void Space, #0.5)
  • Digi City: A story from the In-between (New Eden Series: Rexall Cycle)
  • The Sea Watch (Shadows of the Apt, #6)
  • Flight of the 500
  • The Scarab Path (Shadows of the Apt, #5)
Chris Ward is the author of The Tube Riders series, the Tales of Crow series, and the forthcoming Endinfinium YA fantasy series.

Join Chris's reader group to get free stuff, news and offers.