Start by marking “The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)

The Ersatz Elevator

(A Series of Unfortunate Events #6)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  120,748 ratings  ·  3,325 reviews

Dear Reader,

If you have just picked up this book, then it is not too late to put it back down. Like the previous books in A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS, there is nothing to be found in these pages but misery, despair, and discomfort, and you still have time to choose something else to read.

Within the chapters of this story, Violet, Klaus and Sunny Baudelaire encounter

Hardcover, First Edition, 259 pages
Published February 20th 2001 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Ersatz Elevator, please sign up.
Geneva It means that a scientific "element" like oxygen is not the same type of "element" as the one in the phrase "the element of surprise." He's describing…moreIt means that a scientific "element" like oxygen is not the same type of "element" as the one in the phrase "the element of surprise." He's describing the difference between the two uses, because he wants young readers to know this, as he will go on to mention the element of surprise multiple times throughout the book. (less)

·  120,748 ratings  ·  3,325 reviews

Start your review of The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)
Mischenko
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We took a break after book five again, and it felt great to get back into the series. This installment turned out to be one of our favorites yet.

We begin with the Baudelaires who are now being delivered by Mr. Poe to their new guardians (the Squalors) at 667 Dark Avenue. After meeting Jerome and Esmé Squalor, it seems that everything might finally work out and the children will actually have a safe place to stay in this massive, 71-room penthouse apartment. Jerome Squalor is kind and has sympath
emma
OH HELL YEAH BABY.

OH. HELL. YEAH.

I love this series - which, in case you live under a rock or have been up to this point blessed enough to have a Goodreads feed untouched by my screaming, is my favorite in the world - for so many reasons.

These reasons include:
- the characters
- the world
- the language
- the precision of the secrecy
- the mystery
- EVERYTHING, BASICALLY.

And this book is standout in all of those categories even in the realm of this series!!! Like, can you believe. Lemony Snicket reall
Mark Lawrence
Nov 02, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm slowly catching up with the reviews on ASoUE. Currently I'm reading book 12 of 13 to Celyn.

The story formula is eroding by book 6 and some welcome variety / twists are introduced.

More surreal adventure, more amusement for the adults in the translation of Sunny's bon mots. More skulduggery from Count Olaf and friends. Very few questions answered and lots more posed.

Whilst the absurdity doesn't scale the heights of Sunny's teeth vs sword duel in book 4 we do get to see Sunny scale the heights
Michelle K
Dear Count Olaf,
description
Sincerly,
Violet, Klaus and Sunny Baudelaire
C.G. Drews
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, read-2018
(Still doing my reread in before I watch the Netflix show Season 2!!) Ah this is like a waltz down memory lane. Although I think this is the book where Lemony Snicket realised he could add in 50 x more words if he just rambles aimlessly FOR PAGES and I still find that frustrating but also quirky. 😂I don't even know.

Things I Love About This One:
- I love that Sunny has a bigger part to play!
- Olaf's constant cultural appropriation is another reason to realise he's so evil
- VFD'S PLOT BEGINS TO THI
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Another one I really loved. This time the kids are living with Mr. and Mrs. Squalor at the top of the penthouse at 667 Dark Avenue. Creepy :-)

There is no elevator so they have to climb the stairs to go in and out and what a climbit is! Mrs. Squalor isn't nice at all and we find out she's a schemer!

The kids also get information on their friends they met in the other book.

And of course there is Olaf!!!
¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪SomeBunny Reads (Phoenix)•*¨*•♫♪
“It was darker than a pitch-black panther, covered in tar, eating black licorice at the very bottom of the deepest part of the Black Sea.”

Yet another horrible adventure awaits the Baudelaire orphans... what terrible disguise will this time choose the despicable count Olaf in order to put his scrawny hands on the children's fortune? There is only one way to find out... A terrible story in a delightful little book full of mystery and humour!

Vanz
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reads
4.5

OMG OMG THIS KEEPS GETTING BETTER AND BETTER!

I think this may be the best entry to the series as far as the first 6 books are concerned. A lot of revelations were revealed, especially with regards to the Quagmire twins. I knew there was something fishy going on with Esmé Squalor as soon as she was introduced in this book. As for Jerome Squalor...why? Just why would he abandon and give away the Baudelaires? I feel like he would be a really great guardian for them. Oh well, I understand hi
Skeletonized
Jan 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
I'm getting tired and bored of this. Nothing new happens! The same things happen again and again and again and again.... Had it not been for the author's pleasant and playful style I would have threw this out the window. URGH!
Spoilers ahead!
Seriously now. Halfway through I know what is going to happen: the Baulderies will find out a way to stop Count Olaf who will be revealed in the end (with Mr. Poe assisting, appearing from nowhere at all, coming from the mountains in a random place) and manag
Ashley Daviau
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No matter how many times I read this book, I always come to the same conclusion. Esme is my least favourite character that we are introduced to throughout this series. Other than Count Olaf, of course! She's just so self absorbed and so nasty to the Baudelaires, it's incredible. I particularly enjoy the series starting with this book, it starts getting a lot more intricate what with V.F.D. and the secret tunnel being revealed and I love the layers that these elements add to the plot!
Irene△⃒⃘➰
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
4.4/5

I liked this one a lot!
Even if the main plot and development is the same as the previous books, it had a very fun and enjoyable story with some additions and a very cool, even if simple, setting.

I liked how different the two new guardians are, how Mr Squalor wants to help the children and even if he understands them he has to please at the same time Mrs Squalor.
Her character is absolutely terrible, but in a fun way, she was so focused on what was in and out that was the only thing that matt
Kate (GirlReading)
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
I definitely felt the spark from the first couple of books in the series return in this! It was a lot grittier and less repetitive than the last few, (which I was beginning to find a little tedious) but I thoroughly enjoyed it!! I loved that, although the basic plot was still very similar, there were added extras too. I'm really enjoying the newly introduced mystery surrounding the Quagmire triplets and the unexplained discoveries that occurred. This has definitely been one of my favourite addit ...more
Erin
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
To leave a review would be to give too much away. So to be brief, the Baudelaire orphans find themselves shipped again to different guardians with very strange habits. Luckily for Klaus, Violet and Sunny helping orphans is "in" and they have a refuge for a few days. But they are still thinking about Count Olaf's latest crime at the end of the last book and they will stop at nothing to set things right.

One would consider that I might be exhausted from the constant Count Olaf drama, but I have to
nova ryder ☼
I definitely recommend listening to the audiobooks in this series, especially the further you go. It really sets the creepy mood.
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
“The children knew, as I'm sure you know, that there is usually no reason to be afraid of the dark, but even if you are not particularly afraid of something, you might not want to get near it”

This installment wasn't my favorite but there was still lots to enjoy about it.

The Baudelaire children are back again and as unlucky as usual. This time the Baudelaire's are staying with a couple that is obsessed with anything "in," meaning trendy. This leads to some great satire and some real
Lauren
I'm starting to like this series even more. It may be repetitive but there's more mystery to it and I want to keep reading to find it out. So excited to start the next book!!!
Liam
Jan 31, 2017 rated it liked it
( 3.5 STARS )

Not my favourite in the series but it was still a great and addictive read! The plot was a little dull in my opinion but I did enjoy the Squalors and the way that Sunny seems to be growing and developing as an individual.
C.W.
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-audiobook
Listened to this and the two before it in one sitting at work one day. This is one of my favorites so far, along with The Reptile Room. Despite the same thing happening in each and every book for the most part, this one managed to introduce some new things and keep things interesting for continuing on. The humor in this one is pretty fantastic also.
Swaye
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books, 2017, favorites
My favourite in the series so far.

Time for...
Katherine
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Ersatz Elevator is the sixth book in the series in which Violet,Klaus and Sunny are standing of 667 dark Avenue which is not far away from their own house.Their new guardians Jerome and Esme Squalor lived in a creepy building where everything was decided according to the trend of 'IN' things. The things that were 'IN' was high in demand and was considered as a show of status and Esme was particular about these sorts of things. As soon as the Baudelaire arrive they first encounter that the el ...more
Elaina
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, middle-grade
This was okay...but not a favorite :/ Esmé Squalor is definitely one of the worst guardians that the Baudelaire children have had in my opinion...I guess that is all I will say for now--Sorry, I know that wasn't much of a review XD
MissBecka
I tried the audio for this one and it was just okay.
I think my imagination is better for the voices lol.
The story in this one was improved over book #5 at least.
Ashy Khaira
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Mrs. Kay
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
"He's a genius! He's a wonderful acting teacher! And he's the handsomest, innest man in town!"

"Don't be absurd!" Jerome said. "Ruthless kidnapping villains aren't in!"

"You're right."
Alaina
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked it.. but I'm also happy that I'm done with it at the same time.

The Ersatz Elevator is the sixth installment of the A Series of Unfortunate Events. My favorite character is still freaking Sunny. She's just so god damn adorable and I'm loving watching her growing up and shit. Freaking love it. Then there's Violet and Klaus who are amazing in their own way but don't hold a flame to Sunny. Sorry not sorry.

Then there's Olaf. Oh boy, I liked him more in this book. The guy is sort of becoming a
Mel
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reread. Possibly one of my favourites but I HATE Esme.
falling asleep reading
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book has always been my favourite in the series tied with the Penultimate Peril, a masterpiece. 🤩
Nicanor
Sep 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Frustrating, although that comes from reading this series
Sylvia
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!! Great story!! Don't see how count olaf keep finding the children!!
Hayk Mirzoyan
Nov 14, 2011 rated it liked it
The book "The Ersatz Elevator" is a book I chose to read, because it looked interesting and I thought the title would lead to an interesting story. In this book, three orphans named Violet, Klaus and Sunny(whose parents were killed in a fire), had to live with the Squalors, and soon, a evil man named Olaf who had been chasing them for their enormous fortune, caught up with them. The three kids had to avoid his nasty clutches, and also rescue their two friends who got captured by Olaf, in the fif ...more

• The Wrath of Mulgarath (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #5)
  • The Ironwood Tree (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #4)
  • The Seeing Stone (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #2)
  • A Series of Unfortunate Events
  • Lucinda's Secret (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #3)
  • Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: The Interactive Quiz Book (The Harry Potter Series:)
  • The Jewel Princesses and the Missing Crown (The Jewel Kingdom Super Special, #1)
  • The Field Guide (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #1)
  • Milk and flowers
  • The Incomplete History of Secret Organizations: An Utterly Unreliable Account of Netflix's A Series of Unfortunate Events
  • The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2)
  • Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)
  • Lado B (Fazendo meu filme, #5)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Three (Heartstopper, #3)
  • Revelation
  • The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)