Start by marking “The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)

The Ersatz Elevator

(A Series of Unfortunate Events #6)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  107,630 ratings  ·  2,863 reviews

Dear Reader,

If you have just picked up this book, then it is not too late to put it back down. Like the previous books in A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS, there is nothing to be found in these pages but misery, despair, and discomfort, and you still have time to choose something else to read.

Within the chapters of this story, Violet, Klaus and Sunny Baudelaire encounter a

Hardcover, First Edition, 259 pages
Published February 20th 2001 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Ersatz Elevator, please sign up.
Geneva It means that a scientific "element" like oxygen is not the same type of "element" as the one in the phrase "the element of surprise." He's describing…moreIt means that a scientific "element" like oxygen is not the same type of "element" as the one in the phrase "the element of surprise." He's describing the difference between the two uses, because he wants young readers to know this, as he will go on to mention the element of surprise multiple times throughout the book. (less)

emma
OH HELL YEAH BABY.

OH. HELL. YEAH.

I love this series - which, in case you live under a rock or have been up to this point blessed enough to have a Goodreads feed untouched by my screaming, is my favorite in the world - for so many reasons.

These reasons include:
- the characters
- the world
- the language
- the precision of the secrecy
- the mystery
- EVERYTHING, BASICALLY.

And this book is standout in all of those categories even in the realm of this series!!! Like, can you believe. Lemony Snicket reall
C.G. Drews
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, read-2018
(Still doing my reread in before I watch the Netflix show Season 2!!) Ah this is like a waltz down memory lane. Although I think this is the book where Lemony Snicket realised he could add in 50 x more words if he just rambles aimlessly FOR PAGES and I still find that frustrating but also quirky. 😂I don't even know.

Things I Love About This One:
- I love that Sunny has a bigger part to play!
- Olaf's constant cultural appropriation is another reason to realise he's so evil
- VFD'S PLOT BEGINS TO THI
Michelle K. *Get off my lawn!*
Dear Count Olaf,
description
Sincerly,
Violet, Klaus and Sunny Baudelaire
Mark Lawrence
Nov 02, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm slowly catching up with the reviews on ASoUE. Currently I'm reading book 12 of 13 to Celyn.

The story formula is eroding by book 6 and some welcome variety / twists are introduced.

More surreal adventure, more amusement for the adults in the translation of Sunny's bon mots. More skulduggery from Count Olaf and friends. Very few questions answered and lots more posed.

Whilst the absurdity doesn't scale the heights of Sunny's teeth vs sword duel in book 4 we do get to see Sunny scale the heights
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Another one I really loved. This time the kids are living with Mr. and Mrs. Squalor at the top of the penthouse at 667 Dark Avenue. Creepy :-)

There is no elevator so they have to climb the stairs to go in and out and what a climbit is! Mrs. Squalor isn't nice at all and we find out she's a schemer!

The kids also get information on their friends they met in the other book.

And of course there is Olaf!!!
Vanz
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reads
4.5

OMG OMG THIS KEEPS GETTING BETTER AND BETTER!

I think this may be the best entry to the series as far as the first 6 books are concerned. A lot of revelations were revealed, especially with regards to the Quagmire twins. I knew there was something fishy going on with Esmé Squalor as soon as she was introduced in this book. As for Jerome Squalor...why? Just why would he abandon and give away the Baudelaires? I feel like he would be a really great guardian for them. Oh well, I understand his
Skeletonized
Jan 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
I'm getting tired and bored of this. Nothing new happens! The same things happen again and again and again and again.... Had it not been for the author's pleasant and playful style I would have threw this out the window. URGH!
Spoilers ahead!
Seriously now. Halfway through I know what is going to happen: the Baulderies will find out a way to stop Count Olaf who will be revealed in the end (with Mr. Poe assisting, appearing from nowhere at all, coming from the mountains in a random place) and manag
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events #6), Lemony Snicket
The Ersatz Elevator is the sixth novel of the children's novel series A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. The Baudelaires are sent to live with the wealthy Esmé and Jerome Squalor.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: بیست و یکم آوریل سال 2004 میلادی
عنوان: آسانسور قلابی: سری ماجراهای بچه های بدشانس - کتاب ششم؛ نویسنده: لمونی (لیمونی) اسنیکت؛ تصویرگر: برت هالکویست؛ مترجم: نسترن پاشایی (پاشائی)؛ تهران، ماهی، 1383؛ در 186 ص، مصور؛
Ashley Daviau
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
No matter how many times I read this book, I always come to the same conclusion. Esme is my least favourite character that we are introduced to throughout this series. Other than Count Olaf, of course! She's just so self absorbed and so nasty to the Baudelaires, it's incredible. I particularly enjoy the series starting with this book, it starts getting a lot more intricate what with V.F.D. and the secret tunnel being revealed and I love the layers that these elements add to the plot!
Irene△⃒⃘➰
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
4.4/5

I liked this one a lot!
Even if the main plot and development is the same as the previous books, it had a very fun and enjoyable story with some additions and a very cool, even if simple, setting.

I liked how different the two new guardians are, how Mr Squalor wants to help the children and even if he understands them he has to please at the same time Mrs Squalor.
Her character is absolutely terrible, but in a fun way, she was so focused on what was in and out that was the only thing that matt
Sara Kamjou
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, horror
داستان تو جلد شش که بهتر و معماییتر بود، با سرپرست جدید بچهها که باز هم در نوع خودشون خیلی عجیب غریبن ادامه پیدا میکنه.
یه مورد قابل توجه که به نظرم جالب بود، ترسیم شخصیتهایی کاریکاتورگون و اغراقآمیز از افرادیه که به صورت بیمارگون به این اهمیت میدن که چی مده و هر چهقدرم از سلایقشون دور باشه و حتی قشنگ نباشه، باز حاضر نیستن از مد دست بکشن و چشم بسته دنبالش میکنن.
----------
یادگاری از کتاب:
حتی اگر از یک چیز نترسید هم ممکن است دوست نداشته باشید به آن نزدیک شوید.
...
وقتی مدت درازی است که کسی را میشناسی
Kate (GirlReading)
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I definitely felt the spark from the first couple of books in the series return in this! It was a lot grittier and less repetitive than the last few, (which I was beginning to find a little tedious) but I thoroughly enjoyed it!! I loved that, although the basic plot was still very similar, there were added extras too. I'm really enjoying the newly introduced mystery surrounding the Quagmire triplets and the unexplained discoveries that occurred. This has definitely been one of my favourite addit ...more
Mission Blue
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: english
به نیمه ی این کتاب رسیده ام و احساس می کنم که باید درباره اش بنویسم. این روزها بیشتر وقتم رو تو اتوبوس و یا مترو می گذرونم و بهترین کتاب هایی که می تونم تو اون حجم از شلوغی خفقان آور بخونم همین کتاب هان.
من عاشق این مجموعه شده ام. با اینکه خیلی از اتفاقات ساده و حتی بچه گونه هستن، با اینکه بیشتر از اینکه از کنت اولاف حرصم بگیره از خود بودلرها شاکی می شم!
استایل نویسنده رو خیلی خیلی خیلی دوست داشتم و خیلی دوست دارم بدونم که مترجم چه طور قسمت هایی که کلمات رو معنی می کنه ترجمه کرده.
فعلا یه کم از ا
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
“The children knew, as I'm sure you know, that there is usually no reason to be afraid of the dark, but even if you are not particularly afraid of something, you might not want to get near it”

This installment wasn't my favorite but there was still lots to enjoy about it.

The Baudelaire children are back again and as unlucky as usual. This time the Baudelaire's are staying with a couple that is obsessed with anything "in," meaning trendy. This leads to some great satire and some really fun s
Lauren
I'm starting to like this series even more. It may be repetitive but there's more mystery to it and I want to keep reading to find it out. So excited to start the next book!!!
Liam
Jan 31, 2017 rated it liked it
( 3.5 STARS )

Not my favourite in the series but it was still a great and addictive read! The plot was a little dull in my opinion but I did enjoy the Squalors and the way that Sunny seems to be growing and developing as an individual.
C.W.
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-audiobook
Listened to this and the two before it in one sitting at work one day. This is one of my favorites so far, along with The Reptile Room. Despite the same thing happening in each and every book for the most part, this one managed to introduce some new things and keep things interesting for continuing on. The humor in this one is pretty fantastic also.
Swaye
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, books, favorites
My favourite in the series so far.

Time for...
Katherine
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Ersatz Elevator is the sixth book in the series in which Violet,Klaus and Sunny are standing of 667 dark Avenue which is not far away from their own house.Their new guardians Jerome and Esme Squalor lived in a creepy building where everything was decided according to the trend of 'IN' things. The things that were 'IN' was high in demand and was considered as a show of status and Esme was particular about these sorts of things. As soon as the Baudelaire arrive they first encounter that the el ...more
Anastasia ^^
Ένα καυστικό βιβλίο για την μόδα... για παιδιά φυσικά. Το πόσο ηλίθιο είναι να αλλάζει κάποιος γνώμη τόσο γρήγορα και ακόμα και για ηλίθια, χάλια και τελείως μη πρακτικά πράγματα. Επίσης και για τους ανθρώπους που δεν λογομαχούν,δεν υποστηρίζουν τις απόψεις τους ή τα θέλω τους που είναι ακόμα πιο απογοητευτικό...
Carlos Peguer
Jan 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Quizás este me haya aburrido un poquito más que los anteriores, pero me sigue encantando la forma de contar las cosas de Lemony Snicket y estoy deseando saber qué les ocurrirá a los Baudelaire. ♡
Ashy Khaira
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Alex Farrand
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, tv-shows, series, ya
RTC
Mrs.
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
"He's a genius! He's a wonderful acting teacher! And he's the handsomest, innest man in town!"

"Don't be absurd!" Jerome said. "Ruthless kidnapping villains aren't in!"

"You're right."
Sylvia
I loved this book!! Great story!! Don't see how count olaf keep finding the children!!
Elaina
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, mystery
This was okay...but not a favorite :/ Esmé Squalor is definitely one of the worst guardians that the Baudelaire children have had in my opinion...I guess that is all I will say for now--Sorry, I know that wasn't much of a review XD
Nicanor
Sep 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Frustrating, although that comes from reading this series
falling asleep reading
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book has always been my favourite in the series tied with the Penultimate Peril, a masterpiece. 🤩
Mel
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reread. Possibly one of my favourites but I HATE Esme.
Hayk Mirzoyan
Nov 14, 2011 rated it liked it
The book "The Ersatz Elevator" is a book I chose to read, because it looked interesting and I thought the title would lead to an interesting story. In this book, three orphans named Violet, Klaus and Sunny(whose parents were killed in a fire), had to live with the Squalors, and soon, a evil man named Olaf who had been chasing them for their enormous fortune, caught up with them. The three kids had to avoid his nasty clutches, and also rescue their two friends who got captured by Olaf, in the fif ...more
elevator from china elevator manufacturer - fujihd.net 1 7 Mar 26, 2017 11:36PM
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • The Wrath of Mulgarath (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #5)
  • The Curse of Deadman's Forest (Oracles of Delphi Keep, #2)
  • Fiendish Deeds (Joy of Spooking, #1)
  • The Haunting of Granite Falls
  • The Valley of Adventure (Adventure, #3)
  • Molly Moon Stops the World (Molly Moon, #2)
  • Charlie Bone and the Castle of Mirrors (The Children of the Red King, #4)
  • The Discovery (Dive, #1)
  • If You're Reading This, It's Too Late (Secret, #2)
  • The Edge Chronicles 6: Midnight Over Sanctaphrax: Third Book of Twig
  • Sammy Keyes and the Psycho Kitty Queen (Sammy Keyes, #9)
  • Otto and the Flying Twins (The Karmidee, #1)
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger (Wayside School, #3)
  • Mostly Sunny with a Chance of Storms
  • Everything New Under The Sun (The Amazing Days of Abby Hayes, #10)

For A Series of Unfortunate Events:
www.lemonysnicket.com

For All The Wrong Questions:
www.lemonysnicketlibrary.com

A Series of Unfortunate Events (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bad Beginning (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #1)
  • The Reptile Room (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #2)
  • The Wide Window (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #3)
  • The Miserable Mill (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #4)
  • The Austere Academy (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #5)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)
“If we wait until we're ready, we'll be waiting for the rest of our lives.” 567 likes
“One of the greatest myths in the world - & the phrase 'greatest myths' is just a fancy way of saying 'big fat lies' -- is that troublesome things get less & less troublesome if you do them more & more. People say this myth when they are teaching children to ride bicycles, for instance, as though falling off a bicycle & skinning your knee is less troublesome the fourteenth time you do it than it is the first time. The truth is that troublesome things tend to remain troublesome no matter how many times you do them, & that you should avoid doing them unless they are absolutely urgent.” 490 likes