Start by marking “Broken Fairytales (Broken Fairytales, #1)” as Want to Read:
Broken Fairytales (Broken Fairytales, #1)

Broken Fairytales (Broken Fairytales #1)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  1,133 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Emily Cole thought her life was just about as close to a fairytale as it could get. She was on track to graduate from college with honors, had a job lined up in her field, and was about to get engaged to the perfect guy. Then one day she woke up and something just felt . . . off. All of sudden, she started questioning the life she’d worked so hard to achieve, wondering if ...more
ebook, 3rd Edition (new cover), 271 pages
Published January 10th 2013 (first published June 16th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Broken Fairytales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Fairytales

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireEasy by Tammara WebberFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesThoughtless by S.C. StephensEffortless by S.C. Stephens
College Romance
1,280 books — 8,048 voters
Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireEasy by Tammara WebberRule by Jay CrownoverHopeless by Colleen HooverThe Edge of Never by J.A. Redmerski
tattooed love boys
1,122 books — 3,266 voters

More lists with this book...

Lindsay
Nov 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Broken Fairytales was a refreshing and delightful 4 star read for me. The storyline was very realistic and while it started out a tad slow, it kept me hooked throughout. It is a brilliant story about soul searching and finding one's self.

Emily leads a 'perfect' life. Early on she dreamed of being a princess and living a fairytale life. So, she has worked hard to have everything to fulfill this dream, including the perfect boyfriend, Ben. Suddenly, Emily isn't so sure that this life that she has
Morgan
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars

Broken Fairytales, the first novel in a new series by Monica Alexander, is a REALISTIC, coming of age romance novel for mature young adults. It's a story about a girl who has a very predictable, comfortable life, until she she wakes up and decides that she doesn't want the seemingly perfect life she planned anymore. Broken Fairytales is a story about growing up, moving on, and finding yourself - all things young a
Cristina
Hmmm, where do I start? There were a few moments in the book that I thought were good but then the storyline seemed to take a while to develop and I found myself skimming a few pages (go ahead and gasp, I won’t be offended). The beginning especially is slow to get going and it wasn’t until I was half-way done with the book that I wanted to see what would happen next.

Emily is one rigid gal and I simply couldn’t connect with her and I wanted to but couldn’t. I don’t always have to connect with the
Crystal
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My feelings for Emily grew as she started to smoke. Don't know what that says about me or what message the author intended. Cool people smoke? Maybe. I also started craving clove cigarettes. Hhmm, who said reading is good for you. Anyway I really ended up liking Emily. She needed an attitude adjustment and she got one, even if it came with a side of future lung cancer :)

As for Zack, well he had me at Yellow Leadbetter. In my head, he was suddenly a young Eddie Vedder and I could definitely cope
Kelli
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(view spoiler) ...more
Duda Rocha
This book was recommended by Goodreads, and after reading so many reviews how good it was, I just felt like I had to read it, and it was such great book.

I just felt so connected with Emily, her whole story, not knowing what she wants to do with her life, full of insecurities and doubts, she just felt real. And that's what made me read this book in just a couple of hours, because once I started I just couldn't put it down.

Emily thinks she has everything planned for her life, but she starts ques
Paula  Phillips
May 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
All her life Emily has had the perfect plan to follow, she was going to marry her prince - Ben and live in a nice house (castle) and have the perfect life. That is until she reached 21 and Summer hit before the big move to Internships and she realised that maybe her life wasn't perfect and that Ben wasn't the guy for her. Heading with her family away for the Summer maybe the best move for Emily so that she can re-evaluate her life and see if she can miss Ben over the summer break. Emily is abou ...more
Ivana
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was dwelling if I should give this book a four or a five star review. I'd give it a four because at times it did seem a bit simple for me, but then I thought ... Sometimes the simplest things can still be pretty darn amazing ... And this book is just that :).

I think the character of Emily is very relatable to young girls, even us a bit older girls ;). We all sometimes wonder if there's something more out there, and if this is all we're going to get out of life. And unfortunately, most of us w
Emily
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone and everyone
Recommended to Emily by: Amazon.com
This is a book that I almost passed up because the cover looks very YA. I kept getting it as an recommendation and finally read the blurb. This book was a start of a story that I didn't want to end and was so happy to see Buried Castles was after Broken Fairytales. Everyone at some point loses themselves and rediscovers themselves and the person they are suppose to be and some are lucky to find the person they're suppose to be with. But not everyone gets that journey to be smooth and HEA style. ...more
Stacey
Jan 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rockstars-bands
Every girl wants to be a princess.

Emily is the traditional good girl with the bad boy twin brother.
But suddenly on the eve of her las year of scholl she discovers there is more to life than being what everyone else wants you to be.

During a trip to the beach with her family Emily finally allows herself to be what she wants to be. Bonding with the brother she all but wrote off and her younger sister - Emily discovers herself and love with the guitar playing bad boy who doesn't date.

Zack is living
Linsey
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favorites
Oh my.....
This was a wonderful and any other type of wonderful simile that you could use to describe this book! It was one of those reads that you HAVE to share with anyone who might be relatively interested in fiction. I really can't think of anything negative to say.... well maybe that the sequel isn't due until tbis fall! Really, I dont think I can wait that long. :'( Honestly, I think I'm probably in love with Zack. (I know it is a little sad; however, that is what an amazing author does.) I
Angela
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book pretty quickly this past week and I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. It took me a little bit to get into the book because I didn't exactly like the main character's personality and the relationships with her family at the beginning but it improved after that. It was a captivating book which made me feel what the characters were going through in their lives. If you're looking for some drama and of course some romance, this is a definite book to read.

Spoiler alert

When I r
Lisa
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars. I really enjoyed this book and the only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because I would have liked a "little more steam" with the love scenes. This book has a lot of sexual tension however just not enough details for me, but that said I really liked the book and I have already downloaded the second book, Buried Castles and will start on it tonight. I would consider it for mature young adults. I will certainly put this author on my watch list for future books.

Potential readers bewa
Holly
This was such an AMAZING story! It was hard not to love Zack immediately, and Emily was a great female lead! I also enjoyed the side characters; Chase and Rachel very much and would like to see a story on them!

(view spoiler)

I would def
Morgan Lejeune
Sep 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this first book. Emily is at a point in her life that I was going through at the time of reading this. I honestly believe I was meant to read this story at the time that I did. It helped me through some things.

As for the story so far in this first part, it is so well-written. The characters are in-depth and multidimensional, also completely believable situations and personalities. I know because I have a few of these people in my life and I am like Emily, except that I don't have a sexy-en
Sharon
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read anything athis author wrote before but i will definitely add her to my favorites.
Broken fairytales really captured ma attention.
4/5 stars, i didn't give it 5 because the main caracter Emily,who's 21 years old,sometimes just bugged the hell out of me, and the word RIGID is really suitable.
Towards the end she turned out nicely , but JEEEESSSSUUSSSS talk about a CLIFFHANGER.
Can't wait for the sequel that come out this fall, dumbs up for Monica .-)
Renee Hood
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know this was going to be part of a series when I read it.
BUT...I can NOT wait for book #2. I can't believe the way this ended. I really enjoyed it.
It's about college kids which I like much better than reading about highschoolers. It's a nice, easy read and I love Zack! Hoping the author gets a move on for book #2. I need my fix!
Tiffany
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Omg! I just couldn't put the book down! I loved this book! Emily and zack's story is so cute. I really liked the way Emily changed through the story and how she started to see people for who they really are and not just stereotyping them. I just loved this book!
Jessica Allen
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Emily and Zack are my favorite book couple and this us my favorite book you cab feel Zacks pain and how much Emily feels for him its sexy with out all the nasty scenes she show u can still have hot story lines with our getting into gross details love love this book buts fifty shades to shame
Katie
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story by an amazing author!! It took me one day to read both Aftershocks and Broken Fairytales..I couldn't put my Kindle down! I absolutely love Zack, I wish he was a real person, he'd definitely be someone who would steal my heart like he did Emily's! Ugh I can't wait for Buried Castles!!
Ashlee
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was fantastic.. man i just loved Zack and liars Edge awesome always a sucker for a guitar player :] i need to see what happens to zack and Emily! Im DYING! Also Chase is adorable ( just saying ;p) im heartbroken for Emily :'/
Nathalie McClain
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: awesome-ya
Looking for to Buried Castles.
Em
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Super duper cute...don't know why more haven't read it.... Love the cute coffeehouse guy as much as the brother who should get his own story :)))
Jess (the cozy reader)

Me needs sequel please!
Melissa
Jul 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: great-booos
One of my new favorite authors!!! September 16 cannot come fast enough! I need the sequel like yesterday!!
Cheryl
Jun 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ilove Emily..she has all the insecurities we share. I felt like I spent a week at the beach in North Carolina. The next book can't come soon enough. So glad the story will continue.
April
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book great story! I love the playlist also but can't find anything on liar's edge
Kristin
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book, very glad that the ssecond book is already out....it would not have been good having to wait:)
Sarah Fitz
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Such a great story. I can't wait for Buried Castles to come out. Hurry up Fall!!! :) Thanks for a great story!!
Alexis Alexander
Just loved this book.....that's all I got
  • Time Out (Foolish Games, #2)
  • Vicious Circles (Wrong Reasons, #2)
  • Dream Catchers
  • Lennon's Jinx (Lennon's Girls, #1)
  • Incidental Happenstance
  • Come See About Me
  • Tasting Never (Tasting Never, #1)
  • Breaking Beautiful (Broken, #2)
  • If I Can't Have You
  • Snapshot (The Jamieson Collection, #2)
  • Sound Bites
  • Gateway To Heaven
  • Untouchable (Untouchable, #1)
  • Sheet Music: A Rock 'N' Roll Love Story (Sheet Music, #1)
  • A Terrible Love (A Terrible Love, #1)
  • Risking It All
  • Everything Changes
  • Moving Neutral (Moving Neutral, #1)
I’m Monica Alexander, and I am a writer of contemporary, new adult, and young adult fiction. After getting two degrees and spending most of my adult life in the business world (where I still spend my days), I honestly never thought I’d turn my lifelong love of books into something more … until 2011 when I published my first novel, “Just Watch the Fireworks”, which was pretty much the most exciting ...more
More about Monica Alexander

Broken Fairytales (3 books)
  • Buried Castles (Broken Fairytales, #2)
  • Shattered Crowns (Broken Fairytales, #3)

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Roses
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • His Darling Bride (Echoes of the Heart #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Exploited (Zero Day, #1)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
  • The Strawberry Hearts Diner
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Born of Shadows (The League, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Too Hot to Handle (Romancing the Clarksons, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Evening Star (The Drifters & Dreamers #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Alexis (Ace Security, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unlucky in Love (Lucky, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Difference Between Us (Opposites Attract #2)
  • Bullets & Bonfires
  • White Lace and Promises
    $3.99 $0.99
  • To Commit (The Broken Roads #2)
  • The Yard Rose
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Driven by Fire (Fire, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken, Not Spurred (Lone Star Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sixth Grave on the Edge (Charley Davidson, #6)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Chasing Down a Dream: A Blessings Novel
  • The Pursuit of Love
    $11.99 $1.99
  • At Wave's End
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Mr. Right (Colorado Hearts #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Riding the Storm (ACRO, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It Had to Be Him (It Had to Be #1)
  • The Love Goddess' Cooking School
    $10.99 $2.99
  • That Way Again
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Never Let Go (Haven, Montana #2)
  • All the Way from Texas
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forever Surprised (Forever Bluegrass #6)
    $2.99 $1.49
“When you have nothing left to lose. When there’s nothing left to gain. You find yourself at the edge of the world, wishing nothing would have changed,” I read and instantly got a twisted feeling in the pit of my stomach.
“All you can do is jump.”
28 likes