Start by marking “Dark Light (Dark Light, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dark Light (Dark Light, #1)

Dark Light (Dark Light #1)

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  8,101 Ratings  ·  724 Reviews
Librarian's Note: This is an alternate cover for ASIN B009YLRCCU

Love. Sex. Magic.

Before her 20th birthday, Gabriella was pretty much clueless about all three. In love with her best guy friend since the age of 14 and too crass and intimidating for most of the male population of Colorado Springs, love and good sex were virtually a myth.

And then there’s magic. Freakin’ magic.
Published October 28th 2012 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about Dark Light, please sign up.

Stacia (the 2010 club)
Apr 24, 2013 Stacia (the 2010 club) rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: People who like guys with piercing blue eyes? I mean, I don't honestly know.
Recommended to Stacia (the 2010 club) by: Friends who are being disowned as we speak. I'm just kidding. No I'm not.
Dorian Skotos
Dorian Skotos
Dori...tos
Doritos?

I solved Dorian's mystery! He's a snack food! Hey, at least that would have been a real twist, unlike the one we got in the book.

1.5 stars. I've been slipping - I MISSED a love/drug/sex reference! Someone else had to point it out to me. The urge to skim bit me in the butt this time. Nooooooo!!!

It pains me to have to write another low-rated review this week, but no matter how much I tried to justify the good parts of Dark Light outweighing the bad, I ju
Duchess Nicole
Apr 01, 2013 Duchess Nicole added it
Recommends it for: Lovers of angst, paranorma NA for mature readers
Recommended to Duchess Nicole by: Didi
DNF
Well, I hate to do it but I've got to put this aside for awhile. When housework can lure me away from a book, it's probably time to choose another read!

I think this could really work for a lot of people, especially the avid fans of the new New Adult genre. This was full of "new indie author" feel...lots of slightly off reactions, dramatic moments that really weren't dramatic at all, overly used phrases...

A couple of specifics...Dude has blue eyes...they are piercing blue eyes...light blue eye
Marina
Love. Sex. Magic.

Yes, I believe this is f*cking accurate.

I have no idea what the hell I just read.

This book is toxic.

I am freaking intoxicated. Coherent thoughts have left the building.

Dorian.

I want to hit him. To tackle him on the ground. To smack his head on the wall. To hug him. To love him.

Yes, that about sums it up.

And then.

The alluring man in the photograph is no stranger to me. I know him well, just as he knows every
inch of me inside and out.
Dorian.
4 STARS out of 5
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Full Review posted 11-19-14

photo darklightfinalpic1_zps7c3b6479.jpg

In Dark Light I met Gabriella a nineteen year old woman living what she considers a mundane life. Well, mundane that is until she finds out exactly whom she is…because who she is will lead her in to a destiny she herself could have never imagined.

‘Mmmm, Dorian. Even his name melts on the tongue like butter.’

Gabi is out celebrating her 20th birthday with friends when she spots the gorgeously hand
Claire Contreras
Feb 24, 2013 Claire Contreras rated it it was amazing
4-4.5

Wow. Well, shit.

I don't usually read fantasy (I was told this was paranormal at first, but I researched and found out that warlocks and such is fantasy). Still, I would kind of classify this as paranormal. Idk you read it and let me know what it is please.

Anyhow, I usually don't read this genre, but holy crap I loved this story. Gabriella (the MC) is a cool chick, I can see myself hanging out with her. She didn't annoy me, though I did spend 60% of the book wanting to shake her and tell he
Snow
Aug 27, 2015 Snow rated it really liked it
my, my, my...

this is quite a story to dwell upon considering we are talking about fantasy genre...

it's a story of awakening...

growing into your own skin...

discovering who you are, literally and figuratively...while you are being swept away by the misterious and dangerous black hair/blue eyed man called Dorian...who is NOT what he appears to be in a first place...

this is a story of a slow seduction, of planned take over, a conquer so passionate BUT subtle that consumes you without even knowing it
Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie
I'm giving this book another chance...
Navessa
Mar 19, 2013 Navessa rated it did not like it

Why do I do this to myself? I attempted to read this a month ago and didn’t get past the first chapter. For some reason (which I now regret) I forced myself to give this book another chance, probably because of the many glowing reviews I’d read and the high rating (while writing this it’s a 4.28).

I should have known better. Whenever independent books have ratings this high I’m the one person that HATES them. This one proved no different. On round two I made it to page twelve before I had to sto
Jacqueline
Sep 06, 2016 Jacqueline rated it did not like it
1/5 stars

It's crazy how different my reading experience with this book is compared to S.L. Jennings other book, Born Sinner, which I read last month and really enjoyed. Sadly, I found this book to be lacking and at some points cringy. Only real pro I had was I flew through it. Other than that I didn't find anything particularly "wowing" for me.

Even though I didn't LOVE this book I would highly recommend to check out her other book Born Sinner. I'm still sorta shocked at the differences between
Nikki
Mar 13, 2013 Nikki rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
Love. Magic. Sex. Yes, please.

I honestly don't even know how to rate this book, so I'm going with 3.25 stars. Let me say: I was hooked. This was unique, intriguing, and hot. I had some issues with the book...the middle drop in the storyline, Gabriella's unrealistic acceptance of her new life, her blindness and stupidity over what was right in front of her, and the authors need to TELL us everything instead of SHOW it...but some how none of that even mattered. I loved Dorian. I couldn't put t
Lise *friends don't flag*
I love paranormal and I have strayed away from this genre far too long. So.. when I saw some buzz over this series, I decided to jump in.
I would label this one paranormal-light. This read much more like a contemporary romance/new adult book-with an innocent young women, Gabriella (at least she wasn’t a freaking virgin) and a mysterious rich-alpha-sexy-as-hell-male, Dorian.
Gabs met Dorian on her 20th birthday, the same day she was told that she was different.
The two have insta-chemistry and th
The BookChick
My Rating: ★★★★

Book Description:

Valentina
Feb 03, 2016 Valentina rated it really liked it
It took me a while but I finally finished this book and I don't know why I waited for this long to read it.
This was really good read.
Wanderlust
Lots of my friends liked this book..

Not even 10 percent in to this book i was like..

Dorian

Gab

The story

It got to the point i was like.. jeeze..

but its got to be
D.G.
Jan 22, 2013 D.G. marked it as dnf
DNF @5%

Although Dark Light seemed to full of potential for mockery and laughter, I decided to dnf it after reading the following gems:

Dangerously dark hair styled in chaotic perfection halos the most beautiful face, man or woman, I have ever seen. - Can somebody explain to me how can hair be dangerous? Does it have lice?

I've only met him yet he has already claimed space in my slightly inebriated mind. - Well, that's because you're drunk.

My intoxicated haze has dissipated and I am completely abst
Ivie ✩Born to Magic-Forced to Muggle✩
How Buffy would deal with this chick....

I am dead sure of it. She would simply swoop in, kick her ass without braking a nail or batting an eyelash for that matter and just bounce. And all would be well deserved too.

I got past the hundred page mark and can say that nothing happened. Literally nothing. This novel is confused with itself. It doesn't know what it wants to be. It is supposed to be a PNR, but the PN is nowhere in sight. It is so very subdued and inconsequential I had to remind mysel
DKristin
Really more like 4.5 stars!!! I haven't read a paranormal romance book in awhile and this one did not disappoint at all. It reminded me why I love this niche in the genre. This story reminded me of other series I have read in a good way. It was familiar but not boring or too predictable. I liked that while the main character had a great deal of questions she wasn't completely blind like some girls in these kinds of stories can be. She was able to admit that she wanted to remain in denial about a ...more
Jennifer Diaz
Jan 29, 2013 Jennifer Diaz rated it it was amazing
I never intended on reading this book but when it went on sale I said why not! I was not disappointed! This book is full of suspense that had me wanting more. And then there is dreamy mysterious Dorian. It makes for a perfect combination for a great story. Can't wait to see what's in store! Highly recommend!!!
Didi
**** 5 DARKALISCIOUS STARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!****

WHEW!! That was INCREDIBLE.FANTASTIC.ORIGINAL.MESMERIZING. ONE HELL OF A PARANORMAL ROMANCE!

This is an original take on the witches and sorcerer-type genre. Using the term witch is crass. Because these women are so much more than that. Instead they are called light enchanters.
Their male conterparts are known as warlocks, instead of sorcerers or wizards, and they practice dark magic.

AND THESE TWO OF THE SAME ARE AT WAR.

Light Enchanters are hunting wa
Linda
Jan 29, 2013 Linda rated it liked it
Shelves: read-paranormal
This is another hard review for me...I rated it 3 stars because....well frankly, I borderline really disliked/HATED Gabriella. That is so hard for me. I rarely feel that negatively towards a heroine but she cannot be that absolutely, bloody idiotic. How in the hell did she NOT know Dorian is Dark? Crap, I knew that from the second we were introduced to him in the club.

Aside from that, the fact that she took pleasure from Dorian intentionally hurting her during sex (although tame compared to som
Chandra
Jan 17, 2013 Chandra rated it really liked it
One word book review: Superb

My casting for Dorian and Gabriella...

description

description
Juewelz - SMIBookClub
Feb 25, 2013 Juewelz - SMIBookClub rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: YA/Romance/LOVERS!
Recommended to Juewelz - SMIBookClub by: THESUBCLUBbooks.com
Shelves: favorites, blog-tours
Gather around loves it’s story time,
I want to tell you guys about MY new book Boo but then you are going to fall in love with him and want him to choke you and well I just can’t have that.

In the spirit of being an unselfish book blogger though I kind of have the Girl Scouts honor obligation duty to tell you about this book. AND I want to spread the word about this amazing series as much as possible so you guys not only jump on the paranormal band wagon but introduce you to new upcoming, kick as
Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
A solid 3 star read

While this book will not be making it to my favorites shelf, it was still a pretty good read. The first 50% really dragged for me. I had a really tough time getting into the story. I'd say the first half of this book would have been a 1 star rating, but the action picked up in the second half so I'll bump it to 3 stars.

What I liked:

The story: The plot itself had a very interesting promise. I've read quite a few paranormal and fantasy books and yet this still had a uniqueness
Akilah Raines
Jan 21, 2013 Akilah Raines rated it it was amazing
looooooved this book!!! I can't believe I'm done and the way it ended, Ugggggghhh I have to wait and it sucks!!!! ....... this book IS intense! and I looove the cover makes me wanna buy it though its not the same in paperback. Fantastic Job SL Jennings. :)
Kristen Ü
Mar 13, 2013 Kristen Ü rated it it was amazing
So good! So good!! Recommended by Abbi Glines on Facebook and so of course, I had to see what it was all about. Dark dreamy Dorian, steamy sex and magic sprinkled in... OH MY!!
Megan
Read more reviews like this at The Book Asylum.

Have you ever been in a book funk that you didn’t even realize you were in? That’s exactly what happened to me this past Friday. I reached out to many of you through my facebook page to ask for suggestions on what to read next and your response was incredible! I wasn’t in the mood for anything on my kindle, which is saying something since I have about 150 books unread on there right now. No joke. One of the suggestions that kept popping up was the D
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
Synopsis:

Love. Sex. Magic.

And then there’s magic. Freakin’ magic. There’s no way that legend could have a place in her less than exciting life. So why after twenty years of utter obscurity do her adopted parents hit her with the ton of bricks th
Genea
Jan 27, 2013 Genea rated it it was amazing
First of all I should say that I loved it. I don't think I've ever been so stumped on reviewing a book before. Maybe it's because it would be so easy to give away too much. My attention was first drawn by the cover, it's beautiful, there I go judging a book by it's cover again, can't help it but so glad it wasn't just a teaser luring me in. Next, the synopsis sounded interesting so I decided it would be my next read. The concept, the dialogue, the characters was great. Gabriella found out on her ...more
~*~Brooke's Stripped Down Reviews~*~
4.5 Magical & Mysterious Stars!!!

"It's easy to take something as conventional as your humanity for granted when it isn't threatened. And being that I had no idea what life would be like without mine, I lived it up like there was no tomorrow. Now I have an eternity of tomorrows..."

This book put a spell on me! The complexity of this mythical world is spellbinding. I'm drawn in and desperate to find answers!

There's a war brewing between the Light and the Dark. Two forces, good and evil, natural
Ena May - Swoon Worthy Books/Enticing Journey Book Promotions
~~5 Out of this world stars~~

Gabriella grew up thinking she was just ordinary, nothing special, no special athletic talents, no amazing spark. She was adopted at birth and lived a very normal life until her 20th birthday. The day she turned 20 she discovered that the person she thought she was is not who she was born to be. Her world turned upside down she suddenly felt like everything she once thought she knew was in fact a lie.

She comes to find out that she is not entirely human - she holds w
Foreword: The Dark Light Series 3 19 Nov 05, 2014 07:29PM
Any recommendations similar to this book? PNR books. 5 83 Jul 08, 2013 07:40AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add/update book cover 40 271 Jan 22, 2013 10:01AM
Indie Book Collec...: Would love some reviews for my novel DARK LIGHT 3 35 Dec 31, 2012 12:49PM
  • My Soul to Take (The Holy Trinity, #2)
  • Escaping Destiny (The Fae Chronicles, #3)
  • Afterlife (Afterlife Saga, #1)
  • Zoey Rogue (Incubatti, #1)
  • Old Souls
  • On Every Street (The Artists Trilogy, #0.5)
  • The Bite That Binds (Deep In Your Veins, #2)
  • Demon at My Door (Demon at My Door, #1)
  • Eternal Darkness (The Amagarians, #1)
  • Scars and Songs (Mad World, #3)
  • Documentary (Documentary, #1)
  • Damned  (The Pirate, #1)
  • King Cave (Forever Evermore, #2)
S.L. Jennings is a proud military wife to her high school sweetheart, a mom of 3 rowdy boys, and a New York Times and USA Today Bestselling author of contemporary and paranormal romance. When she’s not obsessing over book boyfriends, you can find her hanging out with a few epic fictional loves at independent bookstores, or sipping a Bloody Mary at her favorite brunch haunt in Spokane, Washington. ...more
More about S.L. Jennings...

Dark Light (3 books)
  • The Dark Prince (Dark Light, #2)
  • Light Shadows (Dark Light, #3)

“Dorian strokes my exposed back with the tips of his fingers, sending shockwaves up and down my spine. I gasp from the contact, resisting the urge to beg him for more. He brings his face down to my neck, letting his lips brush my earlobe. “Gabriella, I would love to bend you over this desk right now and pull your dress up past your thighs and over your ass,” he murmurs, sex dripping from his soft lips.

“That sounds good to me,” I breathe, turning my head a fraction. “What’s stopping you?” Never in my life have I been this bold and eager with a man but Dorian has awakened the sleeping sex giant within me. If my days are numbered, I want to at least die happy.

“Oh, I would do it. But I know Aurora will come looking for me and I don’t want to be disturbed when I… ruin you.” Ruin me? It sounds so threatening and violent.
I love it.”
35 likes
“Let’s get drunk,” I state, clinking my glass with his.

“Sure you want to do that?” Dorian says with a raised eyebrow. He gives me that look a lot, probably because of all my questionable behavior.

“I’m not sure of anything anymore,” I say with a cynical chuckle. “But I know I’m tired of disappointment. And I’m tired of keeping secrets. And I’m tired of fucking things up!”

Dorian nods, understanding my frustration. “Do you want me to help you?” he asks quietly. I know what he means. Dorian is offering to fix me like he did the day before.

“No,” I shake my head. “I want you to drink with me. Then I want you to do things to me that are as dirty and immoral as I already feel.” I take another hefty gulp and let the searing burn strip away the guilt and shame in my chest.

“Ok, let’s get drunk.” And with that Dorian downs the entire contents of his glass and turns on the music.”
19 likes