Start by marking “The Valkyrie Profiles (The Valkyrie Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Valkyrie Profiles (The Valkyrie Trilogy, #1)

Read Excerpt

The Valkyrie Profiles

(The Valkyrie Trilogy #1)

Vladia Robespierre has always had a past to hide. Raised by the aristocracy instead of the State Rearing Facilities, her half-brother is all she's ever admired, respected, and counted on. But with war on the horizon and a rising body count, is he really who she thinks he is? And if her brother is the enemy, what does that make her?

Set in the not too distant future, The Val
Published January 11th 2013 by Open Field

To ask other readers questions about The Valkyrie Profiles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Valkyrie Profiles

Marie
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 - rating bumped up slightly thanks to a reassuring note from the author :)

K.S. Daniels' very promising debut novel is about Vladia Robespierre, a young girl who goes to live with her father, an admiral for the United Terran army, after her mother, a researcher and roboticist, was executed for her illegal work. In her father's house she meets Tolen Malthus, her half-brother who eventually becomes her rival and aspiration. Though a handful of years apart in age, Vladia and Tolen's lives are
Alexandria
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received this book through Good Reads first reads.

K.S. Daniels writing is wonderful, she pulls you in with her characters and an interesting plot. I didn't want the book to end and I found myself stretching it out over two days just so I didn't have to stop reading, all the while anxious to see what was going to happen. I was hooked the second I started reading.

I can't wait to find out what happens in the next two books!
Kristina Vo
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I personally LOVE sci-fi but never came across anything interesting. Until now, the only sci-fi book I'd ever enjoyed was Ender's Game.

The Valkyrie Profiles did not disappoint and I found myself craving for more once I hit the last page.
This is most definitely a must-read for sci-fi lovers! Or even robots, because you know, they're cool too.
Jeremy Jackson
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
K.S.Daniels drops you into a world ripe with character and intrigue and introduces you to one of the most refreshing and captivating plots ever written.

The characters have a depth that makes you feel close to them and genuinely care for their well being.

The villain is one of the most refreshing iv'e read, one move ahead in his colossal game of chess. I personally cant wait to see his next move in the second book of the planned trilogy.

The heroine has a fire in her that as a reader you yearn to s
Vicky
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I recieved this book through Good Reads First Reads

While the book was initially slow to grab my attention this oddly unique book sucked me in around chapter 3 or 4 and didnt let go. The unique story line has you wondering what will happen to Earth 200 years from now. Will the moon, mars or any other celestial body for that matter be home to humans? Will they exist as part of Earth and our current gov or try to break free. By the end of this book I was wishing it wouldnt of ended and can not wait
Allen Vu
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Finished this book all in 1 sitting because I could not put it down. Loved it and can't wait for what the future holds in this series. I would highly recommend this to anyone looking to read a riveting and well written fiction book.

A Sci-fi story with underlying tones of politics, human nature, and redemption. Do humans evolve in the future to be better? Or are we all doomed to be the same flawed humans that crave recognition and power at all costs?
J.D. Tew
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Before I go on my tangent I would like to declare that I really enjoyed this book for reason that I will divulge after venting.

I, like many hardcore military personnel, have a difficult time watching movies and reading books that contain military content for one reason: it was my life 365 days of the year, for many years. My idea of military is very strict. I leave very little room for error. Okay, now that that is out of the way, here are the negatives:

Military communication during enemy conta
Matilda L.
Shelves: english-review
When I read a book that I really love the first thing after finishing it is normaly heading straight to Goodreads in order to write a review. But after finishing this book I felt I had to step back a moment and let everything sink in before starting my attempt at describing this book.
I am not sure I waited long enough.

First of all I have to say: Thank you to K.S.Daniels for sending me a copy of her book in exchange for an honest review. It owned itself a special place on my shelf!

As you have pr
Alex
Jun 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, military-scifi
For the first book of a new trilogy it was so and so, in my opinion. It could have been great, it could have been terrible, but it lands somewhere in between.

The action takes place some 200 years into the future in a world recovering both physically and emotionally from the end of the last war. Although robotics has advanced very much, the fact that robots were employed in the previous war lead to a general shunning of any form of A.I. The world is a strict authoritarian society, with specially
John
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Earth in 160 years...what will it look like? No one really knows but K.S. Daniels gives us a compelling glimpse into life there in her debut novel, "The Valkyrie Profiles". We meet and follow the exploits of one Vladia Robespierre, from the abrupt change in her early life, into her early career in the elite space fighter pilot unit, the Valkyries. Along the way we meet a cast of interesting characters, explore the prejudices of a world where growing up with your real family is considered sha ...more
Jeremy Hicks
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Rarely have I read a book and identified with every major character and most of the minor ones. But Kim Daniels manages to accomplish this with ease in her giant robot scifi epic, The Valkyrie Profiles. Her characters are realistic and her descriptions vivid but not overdone. Her prose is almost flawless and reads quickly and enjoyably. The story itself reminds me of Robotech/Macross with a touch of Starship Troopers but reached me on a level neither one of them could ever manage.

Set on a future
Holly
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I sat down to read this book with great expectations and, I must say, all of them were met! I thoroughly enjoyed every page! I loved it! Vladia is a compelling character with relatable emotions and she is one that I look forward to reading about again, when book two in the trilogy is released.

Her relationships with her brothers are thought provoking. I thought about issues such as: what makes a family? And, what makes a relationship work?

The book explores seminal issues such as family, but also,
Audra
Nov 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Overall, I enjoyed this book. The story was engaging, and so captivating that I read the majority of the book in one sitting.

The book will benefit from detailed copy editing and professional marketing; some of the "advertising" bits, like the description here on Goodreads, don't seem to match up with the actual story. To that end, I felt like some of the themes that the author valued (such as Vladia's birth circumstances) did not come out as prominently in the story as the author would have wish
Jonathan Bivens
Shelves: sci-fi
Vladia is a Valkyrie pilot (A super jet of the future) who is struggling with herself and her past,(her mother, father, and half-brother). Her journey begins on the day of her mother's funeral and the arrival to her Father's manor, who she has never met. She meets a boy who wants nothing but to be her friend, but life is never what we hope for. Her journey takes her on a path of war, deceit, and at times despair.

This was a great Sci-Fi story, the kind you forget you are reading you feel as if yo
Nathania
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
I love this book. I could put it down. I read it all in one night. Usually I like to pace myself but I really wanted to find out what happen next. I just could not stop. It is full of suspense, action. The pace is just right. It is slow in the beginning which I like as it gives a good background and sets the stage for main action happening the rest of the story. I love Vladia. I became so involved that I started to think what I would do in Vladia's situation. I particularly like this kind of con ...more
Andrea Judy
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A great read in a fantastical world.

It's been a long time since I've really dived into a sci-fi series, but I fell in love with The Valkyrie Profiles from the moment I saw the cover.The gothic elegance of the cover translate into a gripping tale of betrayals, family bonds, and giant mechs suits. Where could you go wrong?
Vladia is a fantastic character prone to being overwhelmed by her emotions, and her sense of loyalty. She's brave, feisty, and not afraid to kick butt when it's needed. I loved
Stephanie
I really liked it. I thought the plot moved a little slow, but the end certainly has me wanting to read the next book. I would have liked to see more of a description of the Valkyries as well. I thought the concept was different in an interesting way, and it seemed to draw from different types of science fiction. The editor needs a new proof reader, because errors drove me nuts. I read slow sometimes and some of the errors made me re-read sentences so that I could understand them better. I did w ...more
Rachael
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
I received this book as a giveaway. This book was exciting and intense from beginning to end. It kept me on my toes from the very start. Great Read! Would highly recommend for anyone who enjoys Sci-fi or YA!
Micheal Clark
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It was great, characters developed in your mind, and the plots moved fluidly. I only wish I hand known form the start it was the first of a series. Now I must wait!
Brianwright
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read. I really like the character growth and I'm eagerly awaiting the next book.
Katie
Lawrence Mercer
Jan 14, 2013
Damien Sean
Apr 18, 2017

• Durable Impressions (Slowpocalypse, #0.5)
  • The Apostates (The Apostates, #1)
  • The Office of Mercy
  • A Gazillion Little Bits
  • Freedom Club
  • Blood Street
  • New Zapata
  • Blackout (Darkness Trilogy, #1)
  • Seeds of Transition (The Genesis Project, #1)
  • Eldorado
  • Mr. Ruins (Ruins War, #1)
  • Vegan Zombie Apocalypse
  • The World Without Crows
  • How to Build a Better Pie: Sweet and Savory Recipes for Flaky Crusts, Toppers, and the Things in Between
  • Water's Edge (Troubled Times #1)
  • Control (Shift, #2)
  • House of Flies (A Catalyst and Progeny Novella, #1)
  • The Seraph Contingency
Kimberly S. Daniels is a recovering academic, who spent four years teaching English Composition and Literature at the University of South Alabama. She'll never truly recover, but regularly attends meeting for her condition. In the meantime, she writes Science Fiction (Genre fiction! Oh, My!)and consumes copious amounts of coffee and whiskey (not necessarily together or in that order). When she's n ...more

The Valkyrie Trilogy (2 books)
  • Children of Ymir (The Valkyrie Trilogy # 0.5)