Start by marking “The Dohmestics” as Want to Read:
The Dohmestics

The Dohmestics

Edna, Amira, and Noof are neighbors but that doesn't mean they know what happens behind closed doors or that they have anything in common with their hired help.

Maria, Maya, and Lillie live in the same compound as their employers but that's where the similarities begin and end.

There's never a dull moment for anyone in this desert emirate.

The unending gossip and unrelenti
Published December 20th 2012 by Amazon Digital Services, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Dohmestics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dohmestics

Mandy
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this a really absorbing read and a compelling portrait of daily life for ordinary people in the Middle East, in this instance Qatar. Having just come back from a visit to friends in Abu Dhabi, where I assume many of the same conditions prevail, I recognised many aspects of everyday life and atmosphere, and the story felt very authentic.
The story concerns six very different women who have by chance ended up in a typical Gulf States gated compound where they live a privileged life with the
Michelle Cornwell-Jordan
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Dohmestics was a beautiful novel. I will say that I have read other works by this author, and have always been mesmerized by the intricate care that she takes in weaving her tales. The Dohmestics was no different:) The story follows six women, three are maids and nannies with the other three their employers. The story details the relationship amongst the women who come from varying socio-economic status as well as different barriers involving race and ethics.

As always Mohanalakshmi Rajakumar
Pragya
Apr 13, 2013 rated it did not like it

I digged in since I loved ‘The Help’ but oh well, it is completely different from that one. So full points for originality but none when it comes to me liking the book.

Unlike a closely bound story, this book is more scattered in terms of characters and their various experiences. I couldn't get my head around it. It gives an insider’s view into the lives of families and their maids and what goes on in their daily life.

I got a bit confused with keeping track of the characters but as I alw
Lissette
Apr 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Life in the compound Maria lives in is never boring. There's a multitude of people to talk to, as well as children to take care. For her, this is a normal way of life, and she wouldn't have things any other way. After all, it allows her to bring food to the table in order to provide her family with their every need. In her eyes, she has everything she could ever ask for and more.

When Maria begins experiencing things she never imagined, life starts taking a different turn. She's not quite sure as
Liz Terek
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Six women live in the same gated community. Three are women of means. Three serve them. This poignant tale crosses racial, socio-economic, & moral barricades.
Our first trio- Edna, Amira, & Noof- are well-off & mostly utilize their time fretting over their families & their help. Maria, Lillie, & Maya run these households as maids & nannies.
Edna is the neutral party. Currently without ‘help’, her main concern is her husband’s fidelity. Noof fears the same, but us kind t
Jonel
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a remarkably well written novel. I appreciated how the author does not waste a great deal of time on extraneous descriptions. She sets the scene remarkably well, but also leaves room for the reader to use their imagination to help build this world.

It was also quite unique with an extremely intriguing premise. It is a very different outlook on life and was very interesting to read about. The author takes the lives of many individuals in multiple classes and shows their interactions and
Aya Walksfar
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm more of the blood and guts kind of reader, but when I was given an opportunity to read The Dohmestics I took it. And, I am glad that I did.
This thought-provoking book hooked me right from the first page. On the surface, it appears to be about six women whose lives intertwine, three are privileged women and three are their servants. But, there is so much more to this book.
It pulled me into a culture and then used that culture as a vehicle to explore the relationships and dynamics between the
Jim
Jan 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, fiction
Mohana Rajakumar’s newest book The Dohmestics, marketed as part “Desperate Housewives” part “The Help,” traces the unfolding drama in a middle eastern nation’s expatriate compound between three women Edna, Amria, and Noof and three maids, Lillie, Maria, and Maya. As the story unfolds, Rajakumar weaves universal human drama of love, lust, hope and loss within and around the cultural tensions and dynamics between east and west and the halves and the have-nots.

At times I had difficulty keeping the
Jim
Jul 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Mohana Rajakumar’s newest book The Dohmestics, marketed as part “Desperate Housewives” part “The Help,” traces the unfolding drama 17229250in a middle eastern nation’s expatriate compound between three women Edna, Amria, and Noof and three maids, Lillie, Maria, and Maya. As the story unfolds, Rajakumar weaves universal human drama of love, lust, hope and loss within and around the cultural tensions and dynamics between east and west and the halves and the have-nots.

At times I had difficulty keep
Anissa
Oct 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one (there were a few typos but nothing too bad). I was on the edge of my seat over Maria & she is easily my favorite character. Edna, Amira & Noof were well done too & Mohammed was the most seen husband. I wanted to feel more outrage at John but I never had much of a sense of him though his actions played heavily into the story. I don't want to give anything away but I will say this was a very engaging look at the employers & domestics in this little compou ...more
Mindy
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wow, what an eye-opening experience this book was. The peek into the lives of the wives, nannies, and servants of another culture. In California, particularly my house, the idea of having a live in maid/chef/nanny is a dream many a new mother has, but then reality sets in and she moves on. While some people might have a live in nanny to help with children when both parents work, since it’s about the same or cheaper than full time daycare, we tend to treat them as members of the family. This view ...more
Lena Liberato
"The Dohmestics", which I got from Goodreads, was, for me, one of the nicest surprises this year. I really enjoyed the book and the way it is written. Among other things, it gave me a glimpse of a completely different way of life in a world thousands of miles away (and not only literally...) from the world I know and have always lived in, seen mostly from the women's point of view. I had never read anything by Mohanalakshmi Rajakumar before but now I am so looking forward to finding another book ...more
Wendy
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
The Dohmestics is an easy and enjoyable read. It offers a glimpse into the lives of women in a gulf state, particularly 3 domestic servants and 3 "madams" and explored the issues of public and private, of "home", relationships between women and between women and their home help. The author focused on a number of contemporary issues facing women, not only in the gulf, but her story telling is engaging and entertaining, never heavy. Recommended.
Mary
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
disjointed -- in need of editing

Nancy
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, qatar
Fascinating view of life on a compound for ex-patriots in, presumably, Doha, Qatar. The novel entwines the stories of three ladies-of-the-house and three maids, domestic workers imported from South Asia. In the beginning it's just interesting to read about the trivial daily concerns of these women, but by the end the drama is fairly gripping, or was for me.
Brandon Collier
Jul 21, 2013 rated it liked it
I thought this was a decent read. The story follows the life of maids interacting with high class society. There are plenty of emotion along the way, and gossip as well. The amount of characters to follow made the story somewhat confusing as it moved in a slower pace. Overall, a decent read and I see a lot of potential from the author.
Cheryl
Dec 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting look at daily lives of ex-pat women and their domestic help living in company compounds in Doha. The general treatment of the Filipino and Sri Lankan maids is disturbing.
Kelly
Dec 25, 2015
Jaiden
Dec 13, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Mohanalakshmi Rajakumar is a South Asian American who has lived in Qatar since 2005. Moving to the Arabian Desert was fortuitous in many ways since this is where she met her husband, had two sons, and became a writer. She has since published eight e-books, including a momoir for first time mothers, Mommy But Still Me; a guide for aspiring writers, So You Want to Sell a Million Copies; a short stor ...more