Start by marking “Back to the Pilliga” as Want to Read:
Back to the Pilliga

Back to the Pilliga

Back to the Pilliga is a rollicking bush yarn from the bestselling author of Valley of the White Gold and Silver in the Sun which will keep Tony Parsons' fans turning the pages well into the night.

It was always expected that Lachie Sinclair and his brothers would one day take over the family property, Kamilaroi. But when tragedy strikes, Lachlan blames his father and angri
Published January 30th 2013 by Allen & Unwin Australia

To ask other readers questions about Back to the Pilliga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Back to the Pilliga

Julie Bye
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
A light read. Not a lot of character development and for a crime novel not a lot of plot twists, none in fact. A pleasant but predictable story with no elegant prose and no descriptive language in what should have been a beautiful setting for a novel.
Geoff Mcdowell
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Whilst this may not win many prized literary awards, it is without doubt the best crime/romance book I have read based in Coonabarabran and the Pilliga scrub 😃
Pamela
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
SO good to find another Australian author. This book was easy to read with an Australian feel
Susan
Mar 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dumped
I wanted to like this as I am familiar with Coonabarabran - Coona to the locals, but I didn't. This novel is more in the style of reporting. Ultimately it was boring and after reading 75% of the book I'd fall asleep just looking at the cover. Big yawn!
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

Tony Parsons, OAM, has worked as a professional sheep and wool classer, a journalist, news editor and rural commentator, a consultant to major agricultural companies, and an award-winning breeder of animals and show poultry. It's this Australian country background that gives his novels, which includes the bestselling The Call of the High Country, their ring of authenticity.

In Back to the Pilliga, Lachlan Sinclair returns to his home town on the North West Plains of New South Wales in pursuit of
Kathy
Feb 21, 2013 rated it liked it
I must say, I don’t mind a good ol’ country Australian Tony Parsons novel and when I saw his latest book, Back to the Pilliga, it was an automatic buy for me, especially when picking up the cover it looked like I was looking out my own window and was thrilled to see it was set not far from our own bit of Australian country!
This is just an easy, light read and although I enjoyed it, not hugely taxing or page turning. Although I liked Lachie, the main character, I found that having the novel in th
Maxine
Mar 16, 2013 rated it liked it
I have to say that this was a much lighter read than I expected. It certainly wasn't the crime thriller I thought it would be. Although there is some criminal chasing the story is more about relationships. The crime aspect of the novel holds no surprises, no twists and little to keep the reader wanting more. None of the characters are developed to any depth and I found the relationship between Gaye and Lachie very difficult to believe.
Having said that the book is still entertaining enough and is
Dee
Aug 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
This book could have used a good editor. One quickly gets tired if the many repetitions and unnecessary titbits —the kind that adds nothing to either story, colour or, if there was any to start with, style.
The characters are underdeveloped and the plot is so straightforward it is virtually Inexistent.
The main character, under the pretence of denouncing the sexism of his brother and late father, makes plenty of sexist comments himself. The nature, which could have provided a glorious background t
Bec
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
a bit different from Tony's previous books but i still enjoyed this story of aussie country boy Lachie who after butting heads with his overbearding father and suck up older brother joined the NSW police force and later becoming a private detective which brings him back to his home in the Pilliga Bush. Goes to show you can take the boy out of the bush, but you can't take the bush out of the boy. This book brings lots of the australian country and farm life with a sprinking of romance and lots of ...more
Maureen aka The Scribbly Bark Poet Clifford
Another rollicking yarn from Tony that gets a 10/10 from me.

I liked the twists and turns in this book - a little different from his previous novels in that it has an element of the law enforcer turned private detective who is also a bloke originally off the land and so very comfortable in that environment as well in which he fits like a hand in a glove.

My only whinge would be that the story was too short running at just over 250 pages . I wanted more, more, more but no doubt this will be followe
Roger Stephen Clark
Jul 20, 2016 rated it liked it
My first read of this author. I thought it a simple story without a lot of depth but it was we written in a chatty kind if style.

An ex policeman is hired by a wealthy woman to find her daughter, kidnapped by bank robbers. The story covers some realistic details of family life and at times I was wondering if it was true. It is not, but nevertheless there is a ring of truth in it.
Kylie H
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed the first section of the book but found after a while the characters weren't very well developed and the storyline got quite egotistical and unbelievable. I really wanted to like this book but it really lost me about half way through.
A nice story about the Australian outback, but not really a crime novel and quite nauseating in all things nice and good towards the end.
Helen
Jul 03, 2015 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this story mainly because of the background of farming and the interest created by situating a crime in the author's home country. I thought the writing sounded somewhat amateurish at times, but it was a nice read.
Mel
Jan 05, 2016 rated it liked it
A light and easy read that is enjoyable. Ive enjoyed all of Tony Parsons works and this one has not disappointed. Although different from his earlier novels, and very little character development, I still found this to be a page turner.
Beatté
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved it, just like the 1st I read this book
Sue Hoddinott
Apr 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Enjoyable light read.
Robyn Coyle
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A great story - definitely kept me interested right throughout the book (that's why it's finished already)
Jaye
Jan 29, 2013 rated it liked it
I wasn't as fond of this book as i have been with previous novels from Tony Parsons. I found that reading it through the eyes of the main character was unusual and bland.
Catherine Black
Oct 16, 2014
Ann Mauger
Jul 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads database.

Credited as Tony Parsons on his works.

Anthony David Parsons, OAM, has worked as a professional sheep and wool classer, a journalist, news editor and rural commentator, a consultant to major agricultural companies, and an award-winning breeder of animals and show poultry. He owned his first kelpie dog in 1944, and