Start by marking “Antioch (The Circle, #1)” as Want to Read:
Antioch (The Circle, #1)

Antioch

(The Circle #1)

"Armageddon is arrived."

Threatened by an unnatural plague that raises the dead, an ancient order of mystics must choose between keeping its secrets and saving humanity.

Kind of like Star Wars with zombies.
Published December 26th 2012

William Harlan
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: wrote
I wrote this book, so I think I'll give it 5 stars.
Carrie Harlan
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I would give Antioch 5 stars even if the author wasn't my husband. It's a great fantasy adventure novel with plenty of sword fighting and monsters (zombies), but the heart of the book is its characters, complex story and clean, imaginative prose.

From the pious yet conflicted paladin Michael to the loudmouthed but lovable sailor Ditch, the characters in Antioch are multifaceted and unique. There are no stereotypes within these pages, yet through the use of humor and seamless dialog, the characte
Jason
Mar 22, 2013 rated it liked it
First of all, I'm no good with reviews. I will do my best to review and not bring in spoilers. I will say that I enjoyed this book. It's a good start for, I believe, a first time writer. Or least the first novel he has published. He brings a totally different take on the Zombie genre mixing elements of fantasy in. It begins fast and then slows down. And then speeds up again. All along the way I kept asking myself why this or why that. Nicely, the whys are not answered but more is given to the re ...more
Star
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
‘Antioch’ is William Harlan’s first novel, but you will be more than pleasantly surprised, because it doesn’t read like a first novel. It’s a post-apocalyptic novel with a fantastical twist. Michael is a paladin who has been trained to harness a power inside him and inside everyone else. He uses this and his fighting skills to kill zombies. As the zombie plague comes closer and closer to each town, Michael and the other paladins have to make a deadly choice. Will the paladins hold to the secrets ...more
Rose
Mar 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didnotfinish
I had a really hard time with this book. I made it almost halfway before I had to call it quits. From the start it felt a little disjointed. I was having a hard time understanding what was happening, but this is often the case with a lot of books for the first couple of chapters, so I decided to soldier on. Unfortunately, things didn't get better. I frequently had to keep going back to re-read paragraphs to understand what was happening. As all of my time reading was spent trying to understand w ...more
Heidi Boardman
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I will definitely keep my eye out for the next book in this series. I like the world presented the book, I enjoyed the characters, and the bauran are an interesting new idea. I am looking forward to learning about the order's training methods (especially the difference in training between a child and a seasoned killer). This book made me want more.
Terance Ivy-Stephens
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love it. Is there more!?!?!?

This book is beyond good. I really didn't expect to fall in love the characters the way I did. You've inspired me to pull out my first book and try to finish it. Is there a part 2???
Kevin John Leake
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a really good book.
Ami
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it very much. The author is very talented and one of the really great things about his writing is that I never got bored. He has that rare ability to write in a way to keep you wondering "what can possibly happen next". I do not like to be able to guess or worse, know what is about to happen. I don't write book reports so you won't get details of the story here only how I feel about the story and the writing. I hope that the next book will be published soon.

I am compelled to respond t
Nicki Markus
Antioch is a book with a good idea that falls down in the execution. The plot is interesting and has a lot of potential, but the structure of the novel is poor and I found the pacing very jarring - moments of action followed by pages and pages of content that didn't do much to advance the story or characters.

I found it really hard to stay focused on the characters and their journeys; my mind was constantly wandering as the text didn't keep me enthralled.

I think there is real promise here in ter
michael oke
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Classic fantasy nuff said.

A great book. Classic fantasy fiction at its best. A Style similar to raymond feist and david eddings fantasy series.
Gerald Black
Apr 18, 2014 rated it liked it
very average. I got bored very quickly
Aurora
Dec 13, 2014 rated it liked it
I would like to give this a higher rating due to the time put into it. Unfortunately, it suffered from major continuity issues from beginning to end. Decent concept but did anyone edit this??
James Sangster
May 27, 2018
Daniel
Jul 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
I live in Houston, Texas with my wife, Carrie, and son, Adrian. I’m a cook and a butcher at Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen. I like to write “low” fantasy. My stories are less about royalty and destiny and more about monsters, fighting and food.