Start by marking “Ghost Brothers of Darkland County” as Want to Read:
Ghost Brothers of Darkland County

Ghost Brothers of Darkland County

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  128 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Published June 4th 2013 by Concord Music Group (first published March 19th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Ghost Brothers of Darkland County, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghost Brothers of Darkland County

Allegiant by Veronica RothThe Transfer by Veronica RothThe House of Hades by Rick RiordanFangirl by Rainbow RowellThe Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks
2013 Book
89th out of 189 books — 173 voters
Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns GoodwinTenth of December by George SaundersExcellent Sheep by William DeresiewiczWhat If? by Randall MunroeThis Changes Everything by Naomi Klein
Books Rec'd By The Colbert Report
85th out of 274 books — 114 voters

More lists with this book...

Marc-Antoine
Apr 29, 2015 Marc-Antoine rated it really liked it
Stephen King, John Mellencamp and T-Bone Burnett put their talents together and create a musical. How can you go wrong? An awesome multimedia experience, I only wish it could last longer. An awesome cast of actors and singers also come together to make it happen featuring Kris Kristofferson, Rosanne Cash, Elvis Costello, Matthew McConaughey, Meg Ryan, Sheryl Crow and many more.
Marie
Jun 19, 2013 Marie rated it really liked it
I heard about this from watching The Cobert Report. It sounded intriguing - so I bought the CD and hardcovered "script". I found after they arrived that I didn't need to have purchased both. Stephen King has written it in play form. John Mellencamp's music is great. It is about 2 sets of brothers connected by Joe. There are 2 young women of questionable character. The setting is a small cabin in the woods of Darkland County. It is a very quick read. After reading 2 other books about dysfunctiona ...more
Denny
Jan 19, 2016 Denny rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any fan of Stephen King, southern gothic literature, supernatural drama, or John Mellencamp
It took me longer than it should've to finish this because I wanted to review the whole product, not just the libretto. This is a review of the libretto, the dvd, the soundtrack cd, and the cd containing the soundtrack as well as several snippets of dialogue from the play.

A play is rarely as good on the page as it is on stage, and this one is no exception (but see below!), but I did enjoy the story, which chiefly revolves around the frayed relationships of two sets of brothers, the first, Jack
Danelle
Jul 05, 2013 Danelle rated it really liked it
I got the ebook, which was a very interesting multimedia experience. I've never had this type of reading experience before. I can't say the story was that riveting, but the whole experience of the play/musical was worth the effort! And how can you NOT like Elvis Costello playing the devil?!
Greg Van Vorhis
Jun 15, 2013 Greg Van Vorhis rated it really liked it
Shelves: a-favorite
To be very up front about this, with the exceptions of Les Miserables and Chicago, I pretty much hate musicals. But I'm dying to see this one.

This e-book made for iBooks is like no other book I have ever read. It has audio of the actors performing their lines, it has music (my favorites being "So Goddamn Smart," though the music is the part I like, not the lyrics, and "Jukin'"); it has videos, and rudimentary cartoons. This is a full-on multimedia experience.

The third act moves so fast (with som
Matt
Nov 03, 2015 Matt rated it it was ok
Shelves: needful-kings
I've got this in the form of a 120 page LP sized Libretto plus Music CD plus "Making-of" DVD (which I haven't watched yet).

The story is of two brothers and a girl committing murder/suicide 40 years ago, appearing as ghosts when their nephews are going to go down the same tragic path.

It's an interesting story, no doubt, but I would have preferred a novel by Stephen King only instead. I don't think the form of a musical works so well with this kind of story.

I also have some technical issues with t
Rhianne Larson
Jun 06, 2013 Rhianne Larson marked it as to-read
Joe hill
Rick
Jan 27, 2013 Rick rated it really liked it
First of all I have to admit that I am not a fan of C&W music. That being said this is not really C&W music although it is certainly inspired and influenced by that genre. This is really a tale of the Southern American Gothic fiction much in the vein of William Faulkner and Carson McCullers and others. While the supernatural elements are certainly very much in the tradition of contemporary dark fantasy - King's skills at development of characters is in full evidence and is only enhanced ...more
Robert
Aug 29, 2013 Robert rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry-plays
This was not a Stephen King book, per se, but rather a play in interactive media form on the iPad. It included ~100 pages of text (in libretto form -- i.e., a play), plus various bits of audio dialogue and a full soundtrack (that you listen to as you're reading the play). It also includes a few other interactive extras.

The story itself isn't that "deep" but considering it's written in terms of being performed on stage, I thought it was great. I definitely recommend it if you own an iPad (as and
Carol
Jan 23, 2016 Carol rated it it was amazing
Shelves: stephen-king
Technically didn't read, but saw it when it opened in Atlanta. Loved it!
Kevin Summers
Dec 10, 2015 Kevin Summers rated it liked it
The story is decent, but much of The Shape's dialogue seems silly.
Kathy
Jul 29, 2014 Kathy rated it it was amazing
What a cool, interesting story! When I first heard that Stephen King, John Mellencamp and T-Bone Burnett collaborated on a musical, I was very surprised! But they created something great! A haunting story with incredible music! How I wish I could see this performed! I definitely recommend this! You won'tbe sorry!
Rosechimera
Jul 30, 2013 Rosechimera rated it it was ok
The story is sparse and disjointed. The play is printed on black paper with noxious fumes. I can barely be in the same room with it, let alone read it. The music is reasonably good, with great artists and actors.
John J Questore
Sep 08, 2013 John J Questore rated it it was amazing
I wish this musical was coming closer than 7 hours away! It was a great story and the music was awesome! I highly recommend reading the libretto and listening to the soundtrack.
Ken French
Jul 16, 2014 Ken French rated it liked it
Shelves: genre-fiction
I'm a big Stephen King fan, but never really liked John Mellencamp. So I was surprised that I found the story here a little hackneyed but enjoyed the songs a lot.
Jen Greene
Jun 17, 2013 Jen Greene rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed listening to this music and libretto. So many talents combined to tell this story! Definitely different, but totally King.
David Przybylinski
Jun 25, 2013 David Przybylinski rated it really liked it
Interesting concept of a musical, but hard to follow just listening to it, makes more sense to read on iPad.
Terri Melton
Jun 30, 2013 Terri Melton rated it really liked it
"Too late always comes too early," ...great quote from the book.
Donna
Jul 13, 2013 Donna rated it it was amazing
What a story, great music loved it
Kay
Kay marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Cynthia Schwer
Cynthia Schwer marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Mark Friedman
Mark Friedman marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Nathan Keniston
Nathan Keniston marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Michelle Potter
Michelle Potter marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Vrielinkie
Vrielinkie marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
RB
RB marked it as to-read
Angela Tumwa
Angela Tumwa marked it as to-read
Liteft6
Liteft6 rated it liked it
sherri gardner
sherri gardner marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
  • Night Visions 5
  • Nation of Enemies: A Thriller
  • Stephen King's The Dark Tower: A Concordance, #2
  • Best New Horror (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, Best Of)
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Seventeenth Annual Collection
  • Phantom Traces
  • The Graveyard Speaks
  • The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year (Volume 3)
  • The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit, And Other Plays For Today, Tomorrow, And Beyond Tomorrow
  • Rope: A Play
  • In the Dark
  • McSweeney's #27
  • White Walker
  • Transgressions: Novellas 7 & 8
  • By the Light of the Moon (Lakeside, #1)
  • Nightmare Movies: Horror on Screen Since the 1960s
  • The FBI Profiler Series 6-Book Bundle (Quincy & Rainie, #1-6)
  • Road Rage
More about Stephen King...