Start by marking “Nemesis (Indigo, #1)” as Want to Read:
Nemesis (Indigo, #1)

Nemesis (Indigo #1)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  622 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
This first book of the series establishes the setting for the following seven. Princess Anghara had no place in the Forbidden Tower, and no business tampering with its secrets. But she did, and now the seven demons are loose and her world is cursed, prey to the wrath of the Earth Goddess.
Mass Market Paperback, 294 pages
Published June 15th 1989 by Tor Books (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Nemesis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nemesis

Lau
Apr 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: soon
4.5

Sólo con la introducción ya supe que iba a adorar este libro, además de por estar escrito por una de mis autoras preferidas. Comienza con una leyenda que luego guiará el resto de la historia. Sólo este fragmento tiene un mensaje y una crítica a la forma en que el hombre trata al planeta, disfrazada de mito, que me cautivó. Nos cuenta cómo un solo hombre logró calmar la ira de la Madre Tierra creando La Torre de los Pesares, construcción que nunca más debía ser abierta.

Némesis es una reinterpr
Majo
Jun 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wolf, dark-fantasy
Voy a reconocer que no había oído hablar de la serie Índigo ni de la autora Louise Cooper hasta que una amiga de goodreads comentó lo mucho que le había gustado este libro. Luego averigüé que Cooper era considerada una gran autora de la literatura fantástica y que Índigo era una de sus obras maestras. Obviamente debía leerlo.

Sentí, desde los primeros capítulos, que estaba leyendo un retelling del mito de Pandora adaptado a una fantasía épica y eso me encantó.

El libro comienza con el relato de la
Омаира
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

4.5

"Fue entonces cuando la Tierra, nuestra Madre, lanzó su grito, ya que sus hijos se habían vuelto contra ella y perpetraban acciones de maldad inconmensurable. Hartos hasta la saciedad con todos sus generosos dones, se habían apropiado de más de lo que necesitaban o era suyo por derecho. Habían arrancado la belleza a su cuerpo, para luego devorar incluso su cuerpo hasta dejarlo convertido en un hueso pelado "

Después de leerme la trilogía de El señor del Tiempo y dejarme más que satisfech
Derek
Jul 06, 2009 rated it it was ok
The book's merits of character and mythology weren't enough to overcome the generial impression: this is merely preamble to the larger series.
Malia
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I remember finding this book in the library a good 15 years ago. I read the first 3 books in the series like it was going out of style. I finally found book 1 again in a used book store after years of searching around and thinking I was wrong about the authors name.

After rereading the first book, I am happy to say that it is as good the second time as it was the first time, even while at different times in my life. There were morals (or values) if you will to this story. First, that sometimes t
Roy
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed The Time Master series, so was hoping this would be as good, but it really fell short. The books weren't terrible - I ended up reading the whole series. However, throughout the series the main way the author built tension was to have otherwise intelligent characters behave rather stupidly. The main outlet of this stupidity was for the main character to never inform her talking wolf companion of important information and vice verse. No matter how many times this caused horrible c ...more
Rd
Dec 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Rd by: Tara
I think the writing style may seem a little dated now, but it was a fun story with some interesting developments. I'm curious to see where the next one goes.
nimrodiel
Nemesis introduces the reader to Princess Anghara. Firstborn to the king and queen of the Southern Islands, she is not the heir to the throne. Headstrong and willful she starts to wonder what is contained inside the lone tower on the tundra plains - The Tower of Regrets. Envious of her brother who is going to be the holder of the forbidden knowledge, and urged on by her desires Indigo opens the forbidden tower.

Anghara's actions release the seven demons that have been imprisoned in the tower for
Lila
Aug 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: bibliotheca
I think I entered this book with too great of an expectation. The higher my esteem, the greater my fall. Louise Cooper has spun out the Time Master series, one of my favorite series, and I thought her Indigo series would be as great as those. Granted, this is only the first book of seven, I have maybe more to delve into before I can truly form my opinion.

Perhaps, the firstly, and most deeply, I arrive to my true loathing of the main character, Indigo. She is impulsive, spurious, and many times,
Cydni Perkins
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was one of my all-time favorite books as a teenager. I read it when I was ten or eleven, and I related to Indigo because she was such an outcast, and I felt like an outcast too. I loved her so much that until just a couple of years ago (I'm now thiry-three) I was firmly determined that if I ever had a daughter, I would name her Indigo. Sadly, this book is overshadowed by the very last couple of volumes in the seven-book series. I didn't like the way the story resolved at the end. It was a s ...more
Eman Sanatkar
Sep 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
After reading her Time Master trilogy, I was quickly hunting for more Louise Cooper. Sadly, I found Nemesis and the books to follow. While I read these about ten years ago and not much detail about the story jumps out at me, I do remember feeling depressed about the main character. She doesn't have any cool ability or special talent other than her ability to find people to solve her problems for her. While this might appeal to the many, many people on government assistance in our current economi ...more
Nekopirate
Nov 01, 2007 rated it really liked it
I found this book in a tiny, tiny used book store and figured, 'Oh why not'. Read it ... LOVED IT. Could not find the others as they were all, I guess, out of print by the time I discovered the first one. After lots and lots of hunting, I have found the next five that follow after and I know where I can get the last two!

Basically it is about a young girl who disobeys an old taboo of her homeland and brings ruin to her father's kingdom by releasing different evils into the world in a very Pandora
Javier Pavía
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Una de las mejores sagas poco conocidas de fantasía. Seguramente conozcáis a la autora por El señor del tiempo, pero Índigo es totalmente diferente. Una serie larga centrada casi exclusivamente en la protagonista y en su búsqueda. Tiene un estilo poético que a lo mejor no es muy actual, pero se lee con facilidad.

La trama no es rebuscada, no tiene excesiva intriga, pero de alguna forma consigue enganchar a parrtir de esta primera parte medio mítica pero llena de crítica social.
Omly
May 30, 2008 rated it liked it
In this different take of the Pandora story, Indigo (the young woman who released the demons on the world) is charged with hunting them down again by the Earth Mother. The pacing moved a little too quickly for me at times, but the premise is really interesting, and having read most of the rest of the series I have to admit that I am really impressed that the author didn't fall into the same plot over and over for each of the demons.
Jamie
Mar 01, 2013 rated it liked it
While the story is well written, it was hard to read because of my dislike of the protagonist. She is selfish and immature and overly headstrong. That made it hard for me to follow her along her adventure. But the author does a good job of writing in a style that sets it apart from others of its genre.
Melanie
Jun 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
I remember this being intriguing but a bit laborious to a 10th grader. I wanted to read the second book but couldn't find it in 1990BA (before Amazon.) I would read it again only to refresh my memory so I can now, finally, read the 2nd book.
Jun 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
It's not the first time I read this but there isn't a re-read button!
Becca
Jun 21, 2012 added it
A little different than other fantasty books, initially I didn't like it but now I can't put it down.
Liz
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
I disliked the beginning, and the main character is honestly too stupid and willful for me to like, but it was a good enough fantasy.
Ecka
Oct 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, fantasía
Hay algo de este libro que me encanta y al mismo tiempo hay algo en él, que no me termina de convencer... veré como me va con los próximos de la saga :3
Nekopirate
Aug 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Best way to describe it in a small amount of words: it's a spin on the Pandora story. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find the rest of the series now!
Eleazar Herrera
Pues muy bien. Contenta de haberle dado una segunda oportunidad ocho años más tarde. Esta señora es una crack.
Darkwolf
Jul 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Good start, though obviously the first in a series.
Nicole
Oct 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Got to 60 pages from the end and just couldn't take it anymore. I really don't like the way she writes. The story's not bad.
Julie
May 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, from-library
Read in high school. Don't remember much about them.
Mischelle Van
Jan 17, 2015
Sean
rated it did not like it
Mar 19, 2014
Emma Martin
Mar 20, 2015
Lisa Maddams
Apr 06, 2014
Veronica Purcell
Mar 17, 2010
  • Beldan's Fire (Oran, #3)
  • Child of Saturn (The Green Lion Trilogy, Book 1)
  • The Stars Dispose
  • Waterdance
  • The Ring of Allaire (Winter King's War, #1)
  • The Dreamstone (Arafel, #1)
  • Sister Emily's Lightship and Other Stories
  • The Well of Darkness (Gandalara Cycle, #4)
  • Wolfhelm (Dragonrealm, #3)
  • The God Stalker Chronicles (Kencyrath, #1-2)
  • Cloudbearer's Shadow (Sword in Exile, #1)
  • No Quarter (Quarters #3)
  • Creature Fantastic
  • Past the Size of Dreaming (Red Heart of Memories, #2)
  • Polar City Blues (Polar City #1)
  • Starfarers
  • Revolting Rhymes & Dirty Beasts
  • Quester's Endgame
Louise Cooper was born in Hertfordshire in 1952. She began writing stories when she was at school to entertain her friends. She hated school so much, in fact—spending most lessons clandestinely writing stories—that she persuaded her parents to let her abandon her education at the age of fifteen and has never regretted it.

She continued to write and her first full-length novel was published when she
More about Louise Cooper

• Avatar (Indigo, #6)
  • Revenant (Indigo, #7)
  • Aisling (Indigo, #8)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Paradise Lost (The Vampire Diaries; Evensong, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Obsidian Curse (A Stacy Justice Mystery #5)
  • A History of Glitter and Blood
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Bloodstone (A Stacy Justice Mystery, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Steeplejack (Steeplejack #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Oz Reimagined: New Tales from the Emerald City and Beyond
  • The Song of Achilles
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Black Tuesday (Time Patrol)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Rogue Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #3)
  • Cloaked in Red
  • Warrior's Revenge
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fire and Bone (Otherborn, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Pale Queen Rising (Pale Queen, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Emerald Isle (A Stacy Justice Mystery #4)
  • The Elven
  • Children of the New World
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Best of Robert E. Howard: Crimson Shadows (Volume 1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Romeo Catchers (The Casquette Girls #2)
  • The Graveyard Book, Volume 1
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Devil in Silver
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Hunt (Disrupted Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Girl (The Dominion Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Quantum Thief (The Jean le Flambeur Series, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Starship Grifters (Rex Nihilo #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Fire (Frontlines, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Darwin Elevator (Dire Earth Cycle, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Country of Ice Cream Star
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Cottingley Secret
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Blood Gamble (Disrupted Magic, #2)
  • The Curiosity
  • Virtual Light
    $7.99 $1.99
  • A Closed and Common Orbit (Wayfarers, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Busted Flush (Wild Cards, #19)
    $7.99 $2.99