Start by marking “Who Knew?: Things You Didn't Know about Things You Know Well” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Who Knew?: Things You ...

David Hoffman

Who Knew?: Things You Didn't Know about Things You Know Well

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  109 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Who Knew? is a collection of tidbits and trivia about well-known personalities and products that we all are familiar with - or at least think we're familiar with. For example, did you know that the VW Beetle was commissioned by Adolph Hitler (and designed by Ferdinand Porsche)? Or that the name "Oz" came to author L. Frank Baum when he noticed the drawers of his filing cab ...more
Published December 11th 2012 by Andrews McMeel Publishing, LLC (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Who Knew?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Knew?

Jill
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: coffee-table
Just a fun, fast compilation of random factoids that I ran into at a Barnes & Noble on Christmas Eve.
Sky
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Love learning more "useless" knowledge. Knew some of the facts, but the rest was fun to find out.
Christie
Dec 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, trivia
Nice book of trivia on a wide range of topics. It is one of those books that you can always learn something new, and to my surprise and delight, there was even quite a few tidbits around WWII.

Here are the WWII trivia bits that I thought were really interesting and many of them I didn't already know.

The original Twinkies filling was banana; it was replaced by vanilla-flavored cream during WWII when the US experienced a banana shortage.

M&M's owe their success to the US military, which was hung
Dione Sage
This isn't the type of book I can review, however I am oddly attracted to knowing just random facts that are pretty much useless in my daily life. It's entertaining to me. For example, Houseflies hum in the key of F .... who cares right? But I bet ya before I typed it or you read it elsewhere you probably had no idea what that obnoxious thrumming noise a fly makes was! Because I am odd like that it was no surprise that I received this book as a Christmas Present and I look through and read it an ...more
Mayda
Aug 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This little book is filled with fun facts, some of which may be new to you. Small in size, it just fits on an end table and fills those empty moments between novels. But don’t expect to remember all you read the first time through. According to the last page, on the average, we forget 80 percent of what we learn on any given day.
Trudy
Jun 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who knew that the name Jeep comes from a government acronym for a general purpose (GP) vehicle?

Who knew you could get a book published by collecting random trivia?

Much of this book is fun and interesting...it's certainly a quick read. Quite often, though, you will answer the "Who knew?" question with...I knew that! Of course, that's fun, too.
Michelle Balog
There was only one short little tidbit on each page. Some of the information is a bit dated and some of the younger folks might not know why that factoid is at all important. IE...The Monkeys, The Godfather, The Yellow Submarine. Some were quite amusing and entertaining but honestly I don't think the book is worth the price when you get can get an app that does more for far less.
Ashley
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. It basically contains a bunch of random facts that people may or may not know. From facts about food or television, you can learn a bunch of random things from this book! This book was really fun to read in advisory.
Amy
Mar 04, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think I am the only adult in America who has never seen the show Sex In The City. It is a cultural phenomenon. And I missed it...typical. However, I know TONS of stuff that I never knew before, some of it even useful, thanks to this little book.
GoldenjoyBazyll
Personally- I think it is vital to know that Barbie's last name is Roberts..... The land of OZ was named as such because the last drawer on Baum's cabinet said O-Z and that Twinkies explode in the Microwave at the 45 second mark! Enough said! FUN book!
04AndreH
Nov 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved it!
Sara Johnston
this book was wierd. just a bunch nof strange random facts, so yeah. it doesnt really even fall under the catagory of a book. lol
Jillian
Apr 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a sucker for random facts! Love it!
Randell  Green
12.28.16 - 1.11.17
Annburnett
interesting tidbits!
Leticia
Información súper útil como 'on average, a Twinkie will explode in a microwave in fortive five seconds' o también 'Barbie's last name is Roberts'. QUIOBO!
TJ Shelby
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More fun and interesting facts and trivia.
Emylie
Jul 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Barbie's last name is Roberts. I never knew...
Halle Bentley
Dec 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting facts about things we know pretty well!
Very cool!
Angel
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I actually already knew some of the facts in this book, but many were new and surprising. Find out where R2D2 got his name and how many spots are in 101 Dalmatians! Read this book.
Julia
A quick read, with a few tidbits of information I didn't know, and a lot more that I already knew. Would make good bathroom reading if it weren't a library book.
Kathryn
Dec 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-stars-liked
This book was a lot of fun. It had a lot of interesting information - some I knew and some I didn't.
Lindsey
Jun 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: Who Knew? 2 7 Jul 07, 2012 01:15PM
  • Book of Totally Useless Information
  • The Ultimate Book of Useless Information: A Few Thousand More Things You Might Need to Know (But Probably Don't)
  • Greek Legends and Stories
  • Music for Sight Singing
  • Everything You Pretend to Know and Are Afraid Someone Will Ask
  • Uncle John's Bathroom Reader Tunes into TV
  • I Was There: On Board the Titanic
  • Reader's Digest Book of Facts: Essential and Intriguing Information About This Odd World Around Us
  • The Norton Anthology of Children's Literature: The Traditions in English
  • Memoirs of Gluckel of Hameln
  • Scared Sh*tless: 1,003 Facts That Will Scare the Sh*t Out of You
  • Contrary to Popular Belief: More than 250 False Facts Revealed
  • Paris: The Collected Traveler
  • Titanic: Legacy of the World's Greatest Ocean Liner
  • On Marriage and Family Life
  • New Junior Cookbook (Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen)
  • Hanon: The Virtuoso Pianist Sixty Exercises for Piano Complete Edition