Start by marking “The Book of Riley 1 (The Book of Riley #1)” as Want to Read:
The Book of Riley 1 (The Book of Riley #1)

The Book of Riley 1

(The Book of Riley #1)

When the zombie apocalypse strikes without warning one dog will hold the fate of her pack in her paws. This is the story of Riley, an American bulldog. Follow along as she tries to keep her pack safe from a zombie apocalypse. Traveling with her are Ben-Ben the high strung Yorkie, her favorite two-legger Jessie, Jessie's younger brother Zachary, and Riley's arch enemy Patch ...more
Audio CD, 86 pages
Published February 25th 2013 by Tantor Media (first published July 21st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Riley 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Riley 1

World War Z by Max BrooksZombie Fallout by Mark TufoA Plague Upon Your Family by Mark TufoThe End by Mark TufoFeed by Mira Grant
Best Zombie Books
1,256 books — 2,901 voters
World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 1 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Zombies!
1,524 books — 4,210 voters

More lists with this book...

Bark
Feb 26, 2018 marked it as own-tbr  ·  review of another edition
Free for the kindle @ Amazon US . Go get yourself some!
Stjepan Cobets
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fan of the Zombie gener
Shelves: zombie, horror
My rating 4.8

The Short Story "The Book of Riley, # 1" by Mark Tufo brings a spice of refreshments into the zombie horror genre. This time in the main role of the protagonist are not people, the main character is dogs and cat. The writer managed to glimpse the world through the cataclysm so that I felt the smell of living dead. The story is short but has the potential to become a complete novel. The book can be downloaded free over Amazon. The story will certainly appeal to all fans of the zombie
Lör K.
I was browsing the Kindle store when I found The Book of Riley for free in the horror section. On a whim, I decided to get it, with absolutely no idea what this was about. It sat in my Kindle library for months, maybe about six or seven, before I finally decided to pick this up last night and read at least the first chapter and have a look at what it was.

After reading the prologue and finding out that this was the zombie apocalypse from an English bulldog's point of view, I knew I just had to
Brandon
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is just one more reason Mark Tufo is one of my all-time favorite authors. The zombie apocalypse from the view of the family Bulldog. Riley (the American Bulldog), Ben-Ben (the hyper little puppy), and Patches (the independent and arrogant cat) fight to keep the remaining two members of their pack (family: the teenage girl + her baby brother) alive as the world around them falls apart and rises back up to eat them.

It's a relatively short read, but great for any zombie novel fans or even jus
Laura Thomas
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, zombies
It was a dark and stormy night. Well, actually it was a quiet night. Riley was grousing about Ben-Ben’s piddle on the floor and the Yorkie’s constant whining about something outside. The quiet night soon turns violent when the dogs realize the humans pounding on the door wanting in are zombies.

Riley is a female American Bulldog . Solid in build and loyal to the family. Once she figures out what’s going down she dons her defense mode and goes to work. The pack, human and four-legged, must be prot
Hope York
Aug 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love all of Mark Tufos work! The only problem with this is that it was to short!! Cant wait for the next one!
Netanella
I love dogs. I like zombies. I thought this would be an awesome combination for The Book of Riley, a zombie story told from the dog's perspective. I forgot, however, that I did not enjoy Tufo's toilet humor. I guess I'm a prude like that. Not my cuppa, as the Brits say.

No rating on this one, as it's a DNF.
Diana Gioia
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting to read a zombie apocalypse from the perspective of the pets.
Megan (ReadingRover)
I downloaded this book for free on Amazon and it was a pleasant surprise. I loved it. It's told from the point of view of Riley an American bulldog and faithful companion of Jessie and her family.
The book begins with the family being attacked by zombies. The only survivors are Jessie, the oldest daughter, Zac, the baby, Patches, the cat, Ben-ben, the Yorkie and Riley. The 5 escape in a hummer and head towards Colorado where Jessie knows a boy named Justin. They encounter several hurdles along th
Holden Attradies
Feb 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: zombie, fiction
The Zombie Lit genre is pretty full currently and I am finding it harder and harder to find books that stand out as something different. This is happily one of those books! Told from the perspective of a dog during the zombie apocalypse the story is cute, funny, and touching.

--edit after reading the full book--

I still feel this book adds something new and unique to the zombie lit genre and is fully worth reading, but the kind of shitty ending almost ruins the book.

I understand the serial writi
Shawn Thornton
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was my first Mark Tufo novel. I listened to the audio book version and listened to all four parts. I have to say i really enjoyed it, I was a little put off at the start because of the talking animals but decided to just go with it and i am glad I did. I will be getting myself another Mark Tufo novel very soon.
PHYL
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this story more I thought I would. It is a well written story, a zombie tale seen through the eyes of a dog. I will buy the rest in the series....I have learned that anything Mark Tufo writes will be worth the read. And this book continues to make it so. A Good Read
Mark Heath
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zombie
A VERY GOOD SHORT BOOK. A GREAT TWIST ON THE ZOMBIE Apocalypse SEEN THROUGH A DOGS EYES. CAN'T WAIT FOR THE OTHER 3.
Annie
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just as good a 2nd time around!! on to book 2!

And a 3rd time...it was awesome too!!
Debrac2014
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short zombie story from a dog's perspective! Good!
Mehsi
Zombie apocalypse through the eyes of a dog? How interesting! The first time I ever saw a book like this, so of course I had to try it out.

But sadly, it was good and bad. There were parts that had me on the edge of my seat, and there were many times I just wanted to delete the book of my Kindle.

I wasn't a big fan of the pets, especially Ben-Ben was just freaking annoying with his constant yapping and whining and barking and being a pest. I was so happy when in the beginning it seemed that he wo
Tara Sewer
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Sean
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Milo and Otis Meet the Zombie Apocalypse

I started this book by purchasing the audio version so I could listen to it on a road trip to Ponca City. Usually if the audio lasts longer than the road trip, then I just wait until the next time I’m on the road to finish it. Not this time! As soon as I got home, I opened my kindle and downloaded the rest of the story (as well as the rest of the series, volumes 2-5). I was hooked!

If people are curious about what to expect, think of any of the great famil
Karin
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A different viewpoint on the zombie apocalypse. It is so refreshing after the standard zombie stories, which basically read like this:
- Bad thing happens;
- Good people try to survive;
- Bad people screw things up;
- After a long struggle good people get rid of bad people and find a safe haven and live happily ever after.

This story is not like this at all.
In fact, Riley is such a good girl, she'd probably just carry on biting all the bad people to look after her pack.

I can just see her in my m
Martin Colvill
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How pets try to survive the ZOMPOCOLIPSE!

The Zombie Apocalypse is hard enough on surviving humans. How about your pets? Self Aware pets. Mark Tufo is unparalleled in the Zombie Universe especially with the Michael Talbot stories. Now we have Riley, Ben Ben and Patches, 2 dogs and a cat trying to survive and protect what is left of their human pack. Extremely entertaining, funny and sad, Mr. Tufo crafts his story from a dogs point of view. If you know who Henry is you'll really enjoy The Book of
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it
My tween downloaded this book to our Kindle, and I decided to read it before she did. I'm glad I did. There's a fair amount of cursing and violence related to zombie murdering people and being murdered. The story did hold my interest, though, and it's a fast, engaging book with vivid imagery, which is why I gave it three stars rather than two. And Riley, Ben-Ben and Patches are pet heroes who made me smile!
Ash Freeman
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've never been a fan of zombie books. Until I read this one. Was hesitant as most books from the point of view of an animal are directed at a younger audience but it couldn't be further in this case. I fell in love with Riley from the first chapter and fell for her two four legged companions by the end. It had me wanting to read just one more page.
John Fahy
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Homeward bound meets the walking dead. Stumbling through amazon in the short reads section I found this gem of a book. A few hours read and a journey of being gripped, freaked out with an added bonus of fun. The characters are extremely likeable and you find yourself in fear for their survival... I will definitely be concluding this series...
Kristin
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
EXCELLENT book!! Think Homeward Bound meets Walking Dead. Loved this book! Tufo as always writes with such sarcastic wit while tugging at your heart. Of course the zombies are there for some tense action. Such a good take on life from your pets perspective. Loved their personalities, especially the cat. Exactly as you would expect lol A must read!
Andrew
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun read.

It's a different take on the zombie apocalypse. The characters are quite interesting and kept you wanting to read on. I'm looking forward to reading the next installment after this one.
Lena
I wasn't sure if I was going to like this since it is from a dogs POV but it was great. I just love Tufo's writing. I am always invested in the characters and the story. Can't wait to pick up the next one.
Chrystal Roe
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this!

The zombie Apocolypse is told from the perspective of an American bulldog named Riley. She and her pack, comprised of a 16 year old human girl, a human infant, a small dog named Ben-Ben, and a cat named patches must fight to survive together.
Librariasaurus
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
This was a great opening novella, I can't wait to find out what happens next. I really like all the characters and this is something really different from a lot of other zombie novels.
Next installment please!
Liz Etnyre
OK for what it is. Weird combo of cute doggie stuff and guts n' zombies. The animal interactions are a bit too 'precious' - although some of it was brilliant. Very mixed feelings - the concept is fantastic - the execution, not so much. I will not be continuing.
MICHAEL CLICK
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A different kind of zombie story

This story is told from the perspective of a dog. I found it to be too "cute" for my taste, but it is different. The animals are made out to almost be human in their thinking. This is OK for a short story, but would be tiresome in a novel.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Necrophobia (Zombie Apocalypse #1)
  • White Flag of The Dead (White Flag of the Dead, #1)
  • The Ugly Beginning (Dead, #1)
  • A Pound of Flesh (Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse, #4)
  • As The World Dies Untold Tales Volume 3
  • Induction (Time of Death, #1)
  • Among the Living
  • Dying Days
  • Deadlocked 4 (Deadlocked, #4)
  • Valley Of Death, Zombie Trailer Park
  • Zombies vs The Living Dead (Surviving The Evacuation #0.5)
  • Dead Drunk: Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse. One Beer at a Time
  • 900 Miles (900 Miles #1)
  • The Unwashed Dead (Zombie Armageddon #1)
  • Voyage of the Dead (Sovereign Spirit Saga, #1)
  • Aftermath (Autumn, #5)

The Book of Riley (5 books)
  • The Book Of Riley 2 (The Book of Riley #2)
  • The Book of Riley 3 (The Book of Riley #3)
  • The Book of Riley 4 (The Book of Riley #4)
  • The Book of Riley 5 (The Book of Riley #5)
“There’s the Alpha male named Charles, the Alpha female Heather, the oldest female cub Jessie (my favorite), the younger male cub Daniel (who needs a lesson in manners, if he pulls my ears one more time I will relieve myself on his pillow) and the infant cub who is my second favorite” 0 likes
“I’d rather mate with a snake,” I told her, which was pretty low as far as dog swears went.” 0 likes