Start by marking “Jane, the Fox, and Me” as Want to Read:
Jane, the Fox, and Me

Jane, the Fox, and Me

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  8,348 ratings  ·  1,011 reviews
Hélène has been inexplicably ostracized by the girls who were once her friends. Her school life is full of whispers and lies — Hélène weighs 216; she smells like BO. Her loving mother is too tired to be any help. Fortunately, Hélène has one consolation, Charlotte Bronte’s Jane Eyre. Hélène identifies strongly with Jane’s tribulations, and when she is lost in the pages of t ...more
Published September 1st 2013 by Groundwood Books (first published October 23rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Jane, the Fox, and Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jane, the Fox, and Me

really liked it 4.00  ·
 ·  8,348 ratings  ·  1,011 reviews

Jen
Not enough fox. A more honest title: Me reading Jane and briefly meeting a fox.

Past that, not a bad book.
Hilary
These illustrations are amazing, I love them, this artist is so skillful at capturing body language and expressions. Some lovely images of trees and hands made to look so effortless! Brilliant.

Helene is bullied at school and receives abusive comments about her weight, she seeks comfort and escapism in reading, in particular Jane Eyre.

I found the storyline lacking, I gathered this was set perhaps 30 years ago due to the music mentioned, my daughter suspected it wasn't current due to the lack of
Idarah
Feb 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
No one likes to use the "B" word, and when it is used, what comes to mind are characters like the teenage "bully" in Junior's sixth grade class in the film Problem Child 2. You remember...the one who likes picking his nose and employing the art of spitball archery. The irony is that often times, bullies are not unkempt misfits, or the posh, popular kids of the Mean Girls trio. Most of the time they're ordinary, "nice" people who were at some point close friends of yours.

Helene is a young girl in
Diane
Nov 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, angst, art
If you like the book "Jane Eyre," you will probably like this beautiful graphic novel.

"Jane, the Fox and Me" is the story of Helene, a young girl who is shy and lonely and is being bullied by a group of mean girls at school. They make fun of her weight and taunt her about not having any friends. Helene's one source of comfort is reading the book "Jane Eyre," which she carries with her every day. She burrows into it on the bus as a way of blocking out the awful things the other kids say.

Things c
Melina Souza
QUE. LIVRO. LINDO!
David Schaafsma
I have been having a hard time deciding what to think about this book. Part of it is that various Goodreads friends whose views and reviewsI respect very much seem to differ on it. It's complex, and I could be talked "up" from my current view/rating, but for now I'll say: This is a "bully" book by an accomplished Quebec playwright Fanny Britt (12 plays!), illustrated by also accomplished Quebec artist Isabelle Arsenault, about a girl, Helene, who largely suffers in outcasted silence by groups of ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Jane, the fox and Me tells the story of an outcast, socially-awkward girl who doesn't seem to belong anywhere. All of that changes when she encounters a mysterious fox and she enters a world of creativity and friendship. With stunning graphic novel illustrations, an imaginative plot and references to Jane Eyre, this book is certainly one worth reading.
Lata
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book reminds me of one particularly horrible year of school. A year filled with constant bullying, inexplicable ostracism from formerly good friends, and loneliness. And a year spent reading and rereading Jane Eyre. And rereading Jane Eyre.
So, this book hit pretty hard, with its stunning illustrations. I could feel the girl’s loneliness and sadness so well through the text and images.
Vitor Martins
Esse livro é incrível! Um exemplo perfeito de quadrinho que junta uma história linda com ilustrações incríveis.
Sério, a arte de Jane, a Raposa e Eu me deixou de queixo caído. Cenários maravilhosos, texturas incríveis e o uso das cores conversa muito com o humor e as experiências da protagonista.

Um quadrinho para ler e reler, e se apaixonar toda vez! Amei!
Betsy
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Isn’t it strange how few children’s graphic novels are published in a given year? This is one of those phenomena that defy the basic tenants of capitalism. The need, as anyone who has ever fielded reference questions from 10-year-olds will attest, is vast. Yet the product sputters out of publishing houses so sparsely and randomly that you can’t help but be baffled. The only justification I can come up with is that graphic novels are bloody expensive to produce. That would certainly account for h ...more
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Mar 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016

This was so beautiful, and being a Jane Eyre lover, I really wanted to read this! I could relate so much to the main character, but I felt like the story never really went anywhere and ended rather abruptly. It was beautifully illustrated though!

Around the Year in 52 Books Challenge Notes:
50. A book translated to English (this was originally written in French!)
Jeremy
Aug 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I consider this to be the best graphic novel I have ever read, even though "Jane, the Fox, & Me" is targeted towards girls in middle school, My inner critic insists that this declaration speaks to my mental/emotional makeup, but I disagree. I feel that it speaks to the quality of the book. So shut up, me, and listen to why this book is great.

The story centers around Hélène, a young girl who is being ostracized by girls who used to be her friends. She escapes the teasing by diving into the w
Dov Zeller
This book is a puzzling one to review. The art is gorgeous, rich and airy at the same time. And the mood of the book offers a unique, fairy-tale feel. It addresses delicately, complicated subjects that are often addressed in heavy-handed ways. Not just bullying, isolation and self-preservation, but self-perception and how it can be affected and distorted by our social worlds. The importance of connection, in all of its nearly magical manifestations. There are nice moments of textual and emotiona ...more
Ilana
4.5 well deserved stars. So much I can relate to in this story about a young girl who is bullied and ostracized at school. In typical cruel fashion the girls spread graffiti around claiming Hélène is grossly overweight and stinky when she is neither of these things, though because girls are conditioned to be obsessed with weight issues, Hélène is certain she is “as fat as a sausage” when she is in fact slim and normal. She finds solace in reading Jane Eyre and immerses herself in the book to ign ...more
Erin
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teachers of middle school
Waiting for the bus on Sherbrooke today is like waiting to die.... Or what I imagine it would be like to die.

A Montreal teenager that feels like an outcast takes solace in Jane Eyre. The illustrations are in black and white and the writing is lyrically beautiful. This book was originally written in French and has been translated for an English reading audience.
Belinda

red. Hidden
places surround me
everywhere I go.

Vikki VanSickle
Fanny Britt’s text (translated by Christelle Morelli and Susan Ouriou) is intense and internal and feels like a long-form poem. There were no obvious translation quirks, in fact the prose is quite rhythmic and has lovely poetic moments. Isabelle Arsenault is the perfect illustrator for this kind of prose, having worked with the lovely and lyrical Kyo Maclear on various projects in the past, such as my beloved Virginia Wolf.

The muted colour-scheme does much to set a melancholic tone. Even the Ja
Karen Witzler
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
A YA graphic novel about bullying and loneliness. So deeply felt and accurate, I wanted to weep for Helene as she looked into the illustration of the pit of despair. She does have windows out of her world, a caring family, literature - in this instance Jane Eyre- and a glimpse of wild nature in the person of a fox. Helene acquires a friend at the end and experiences the wonderful feeling of acceptance, but this seems almost like a false ending to me. I would have preferred that she came to accep ...more
Ana
This was adorable and heartfelt.
Elizabeth
Dec 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
If based only on the artwork this would be a five star read.
Sadly, however, this melancholic story is a bit thin.
Except, finding refuge in a book?
Story of my life.
Philip
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My favorite graphic novel that I've read in a while.

Gwen read it last night, and asked me to read it to them before bed tonight.

"It's sad," she said.

It's a subtle, but wonderful tribute to readers that the illustrations are in color when Helene is engrossed in her book.

And it was nice that I'd read Jane Eyre for the first time less than a year ago.
Liz Janet
Much like Blue is the Warmest Color, this novel is best to read in French, but the English translation is not bad. This is a story that mixes the main character Hélène, who is bullied, a fox, and Jane Eyre. Hélène loses herself in the novel, it is her escape from what is happening to her. Then she meets a fox, who connects with her, much like someone else that shows up later. The art was not the best one, but not the worst, it is very pencil-like, with dark and opaque tones. My main criticism de ...more
Jane
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well this was interesting! I had no clue when I chose to read it that it was a Canadian book translated from French, but that made it all the more charming for me. I don't usually read graphic novels, but this one might make me change my habits!

Great story for any middle school kid -- it perfectly captures the misery of being on the outs from your friend group.
ريم الصالح
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such a beautiful piece of art; this graphic novel. I really liked the use of classics like "Jane Eare" in the life of a teenaged girl who has been bullied non-stop for her weight. Something I would consider clever. Although I wished the fox had a bigger part than just a page.. but still, Beautiful work and very nice colour palette.
Kayla
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story was beautifully illustrated and was a very quick read that dealt with bullying, new friendship and hope. The story was more 3/5 because it jumped time so much and it was just so quick not much happened but the art is very beautiful and the ending was very hopeful so 4/5!
Rachel Drrmrmrr
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm so glad I waited until I had read Jane Eyre before I started reading this. The references to it are small, but since I had read it I appreciated the ties to it more.

The illustrations in this are so wonderful, how she stylizes the separation between reality and Jane Eyre are really beautiful.
Angie
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I remember hearing about this graphic novel as soon as it came out. I have two fellow bloggers (Bookish Whimsy, and Picture Me Reading) who just love Jane Eyre and that is where I first saw mention of this graphic novel. I thought about not reading it since I haven't read Jane Eyre but thought I would give it a go. My library never had it though so then I just forgot about it. Recently my library did order it because a new edition came out.

I think what makes Jane, the Fox and Me a great graphic
Elizabeth A
May 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, art, graphix, kids-ya
I have mixed feelings about how to review this picture book/graphic novel. The intended audience is clearly 8-12 year olds, and that might be why the story has so little depth. Though the kids I know around that age seem to read complicated stories with ease, so what do I make of that?

The story revolves around Hélène, a young girl who is suddenly shunned by her friends, and is made fun of for being fat and having body odor. The bullying takes a toll on Hélène, and she does what many kids do in t
Sesana
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, middle-grade
This is a short graphic novel, simply written and illustrated, that says much without trying hard. Hélène is being bullied for her weight by girls who were once her friend. Why? Does it really matter? What matters is that she feels alone, unliked and unlikeable, and she finds comfort in reading Jane Eyre. Because Jane is different, too.

It's Hélène's quiet acceptance of the taunting directed towards her that was so painful for me to read. She takes it all to heart, fully believing what's said ab
Raina
Feb 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphicnovel, ya
Yeah, the standout for me here was that one illustration of the tree (page 19). I even posted a pic of it on the internets to demonstrate my love.

The plot is a relatively run-of-the-mill bullying/outsider story. Plus Jane Eyre spoilers (which I don't really care about, since I've never read that book).
I agree with the people who question that one of the protagonists main insecurities has to do with her weight, since she's drawn relatively slim. The perspective of the book is squarely within he
2017 Reading Chal...: Jane, the Fox, and Me 1 16 Feb 23, 2015 12:00PM
jane the fox and me 1 19 Jan 28, 2015 12:18PM
  • Hilda and the Bird Parade (Hilda, #3)
  • Bluffton: My Summers with Buster Keaton
  • Benjamin Bear in Bright Ideas
  • A Trip to the Bottom of the World with Mouse: TOON Level 1
  • Lost in NYC: A Subway Adventure
  • Harvey
Fanny Britt is a Quebec playwright, author and translator. She has written a dozen plays (among them Honey Pie, Hôtel Pacifique and Bienveillance) and translated more than fifteen. She has also written and translated several other works of literature. Jane, the Fox and Me is her first graphic novel.
“The same thing happens every time- another hole opens up in my rib cage.
Hearing everything.
Hearing nothing.”
5 likes
“Just like in Jane Eyre, the moral of the story would be 'never forget that you're nothing but a sad sausage.” 3 likes