Start by marking “80/20 Sales and Marketing: The Definitive Guide to Working Less and Making More” as Want to Read:
80/20 Sales and Marketing: The Definitive Guide to Working Less and Making More

Read Excerpt

80/20 Sales and Marketing: The Definitive Guide to Working Less and Making More

Guided by famed marketing consultant and best-selling author Perry Marshall, sales and marketing professionals save 80 percent of their time and money by zeroing in on the right 20 percent of their market — then apply 80/202 and 80/203 to gain 10X, even 100X the success. With a powerful 80/20 software tool (online, included with the book), sellers and marketers uncover how ...more
Published August 13th 2013 by Entrepreneur Press (first published January 1st 2013)

Start your review of 80/20 Sales and Marketing: The Definitive Guide to Working Less and Making More
Daniel
Sep 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
not sure why people rate it so high. i expected something different

here is a sum up :
80 % of your sales come from 20% of all your customers
80% of your results come from 20% of your work

for all the bs you dont wanna do get a assistant so you can concentrate on your high profit work

the good parts are where he actually talks about email marketing and google adwords but if you are interested in those topics get a diff book

he said it himself in the book 80% of his book is useless and can be skipped

i
Chad Warner
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: business owners, marketers, salespeople
Recommended to Chad by: Agency Advantage podcast
This book applies the 80/20 (Pareto) Principle to sales and marketing, showing how to exponentially amplify results by focusing your efforts on the most important 20%, iteratively. It's a good mix of theory and application. Read it if you want to do more with less in your business.

Google AdWords is mentioned frequently due to the author's experience, but the principles can be applied to many forms of online and offline marketing.

I read this because it was recommended on the Agency Advantage podc
DeAnna Knippling
Dec 07, 2019 rated it liked it
How to start applying the 80/20 or Pareto principle to your business.

When this was useful, this was very very useful. And then there were entire sections that were infomercials for some other product or service, which--because the author had already explained how he likes to cause anxiety in his customers, then promise to solve their problems--were just kind of upsetting as the author toyed with my emotions to try draw me further in. The fact that the book ended with irrelevant discursions about
Cameron
Nov 05, 2018 rated it liked it
This book goes in deep detail about how to really generate the traffic or sales you need. It was a little too in-depth for me but it had great chapter synapses.
Yernar J
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book applies the Pareto principle to sales and marketing. It has good practical implications. Marketing takes up a bit of my time right now, so I have gathered note as follows:

* 80/20 applies to many many things, maybe not in the exact number 80/20, but the pattern is the same; most commonly, 80% of revenues come from 20% of customers.
* 80/20 is a fractal rule meaning that it can be applied over and over by “zooming in” on the top 20%, again & again:
* 80% of profits come from 20% of custome
Mark Manderson
May 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Has a few great points such as racking the Shotgun which is extremely helpful. Shows how to split test and importance of one or two sentences can boost sales 80% and why it's important to focus on your top 20% of customers. The top thing I took from it is to offer an expensive product as a small percentage will pay a premium for high value. By adding that one additional service, dales increase by a large margin. Definitely will keep in my library for reference.
Mikhail Konstantinov
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book, use some principles thru my life.
Kelly Reid
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Distilled Concepts

Every system is governed by fractal power laws. Within any system, the majority of value (however defined) is not spread evenly across all members of that system. It is also fractal in nature, which means that it is scale-invariant and thus repeatable. Within each “most valuable” subset lies another, similarly proportioned disproportion of value.

This book demonstrates that when digging 2 or 3 (or more) layers deep into the “FPL” (Fractal Power Law) distribution, hyper-valuable
Adam
Jun 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shout out to Brandon Turner from bigger pockets 4 randomly reccomemd this book on his you tube channel. Perry, a Christian failed his way to the top of the business food chain and in doing so learned from the 80 20 law and applied it to every angle of his life. You don't get rich cleaning your own toilet's you get rich because someone else cleans your toilets for you.

"Takeaways" my 👂 picked up on.... ⬇️

A fifth of our customers are responsible for 4/5 of our Profits
My mind lit on fire
8020 applie
Mitchell A. Russo
This book is The Matrix for business owners

We all know with the 80/20 principle is, but we all got it wrong. Just like you I thought 80/20 was all about getting 80% of your business from 20% of your clients. Turns out I was only partially right. In less than an hour of studying this book, Perry Marshall explains the hologram and the fractal thinking behind the 80/20 curve.

Now that I finished my first pass through this book, I already understand how to generate 14% of my profits and 21% more reve
Tomas Liutvinas
Oct 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
I've never written a negative review on a book before, but this fucking book is really inspirational.

To start off it's a well-written book with certain valuable concepts and information, it is definitely not useless. But the way it is written it should be free.

This is a ~200-page long advertisement written by a salesman to sell more products with some value content sprinkled in. This should be a free youtube video series at best.

"BUT THERE'S SO MUCH CONTENT, HOW COULD IT BE FREE?"
Well, the w
Stan Skrabut
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
80/20 Sales and Marketing: The Definitive Guide to Working Less and Making More is my continued exploration into the 80/20 principle also known as Pareto’s Principle. 80/20 Sales and Marketing is written by Perry Marshall who also wrote the  Ultimate Guide to Google Adwords . I was very pleased with that book and I was eager to read what he wrote on this topic because it touched on the 80/20 principle in the Adwords book. I have to say, I was not disappointed. Read more ...more
Matt
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
In my earlier review, I said that the 80/20 principle could be easily applied to a wide variety of functions. Probably the place that could most greatly benefit from 80/20 is sales effort. Almost all of sales effort, in my personal experience, is wasted time. Cold calling is an ancient practice that would benefit sales people and customers alike if it went away entirely.

The advertising optimization, customer segmentation, and business operation advice within is sound. If you're a salesperson, yo
Daniel
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Here’s my 80/20 review, 80% positive, 20% for improvements

Pros:
1. Emphasis on tactics with Google AdWords, Perry Marshall write the definitive guide to Google AdWords (definitely on my to read list)
2. More emphasis on business management and marketing, especially useful for entrepreneurs
3. Applies the 80/20 rule to life in general as opposed to just marketing and sales
4. Offers valuable tools such as Hoover’s and websites to successful apply to and curate your top customers and best practices

I
Mike
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Vital principle to know, especially in my field. I do wonder if the book could have been more summarised, and also, that you can find 80/20 everywhere - if you try and find it. For example, there is 80/20 in the income of Forbes 500 top earners, but is there 80/20 in how many hairs they have on their head?

I start doubting the principle as being so accurate when at the end he writes "This one is like 60/40, and this one 75/25, and this one 99/1" - I mean, you are just saying that you can move the
Justin Aquino
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: studies
Very usefull if you have the Challenge of teaching Statistics to your Sales Team and Employees. I come from an Emerging Market Company and Knowledge and Sciences are not valued so anything that helps sell basic education is appreciated.
The key take aways of this book is easy to grasp if you are already studying Sales and marketing management, this book is for the REST of your company who have no patience to understand and appreciate how Analysis will make their lives easier.
David Guzmán Ramos
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book about not only the way to optimize your marketing, but also powerful insights of how to use the 80/20 rule to all your life: hiring people, poverty, your business, time, etc. It teaches you the importance of a niche in a business and the importance of raising value of your time and leaving the rest for anyone else to do it. I recommended for everyone interested in optimizing time and learning about digital marketing.
Kira
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Initially I rated this book 5 stars. It's a very useful collection of tools that marketers and business owners can use.

Upon reflection I have given it 4 stars. It comes across as a sales pitch and the book is being used as a 'racking of the shotgun'. Bit dirty to claim to include $75 worth of free tools and hide it behind an email wall.

You should expect to be bombarded with emails as well once you've 'signed up' to use any of the tools provided.
Vincent P
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've always been a big fan of Perry Marshall's. This book is one of the BEST books on sales and marketing I've come across.

This is one of those books that I keep at hand and refer to regularly because it really opened my eyes to what to focus on in our sales and marketing.

If you run your own business and/or in sales and marketing then this is a MUST read book.
Olivia Flaggert
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marketing
Such an eye opening book! I used to burn myself out with my job, and was doing things that weren’t even producing results. I’m so glad I read this because it made me realize you don’t have to burn yourself out in order to get results. Would highly recommend this book and other books by this author, all of his books I’ve read have been so informative!
Andrea Serri
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: marketing
The Book started well with an interesting concept (which is the mental model of Pareto distribution)
then became a "google advertising is important!" book, then if you count the continuos plugs for the "free" materials online (baits or "racking the shotgun") you don't get much more value out of that.
Frank C Jones
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
By now, this has been shared so frequently that you have likely heard about the 80/20 rule without having read this book or knowing about The Pareto Principle. The author goes into great detail explaining how this ratio is found in various places. He also dives into the fractal nature of this ratio which leads to 64:4 and 52:0.8.
Natalie Van Rensburg
Some really golden nuggets in this book

Definitely a recommended read. It would be a 5/5 for me but some of the book I would never be able to apply. That being said I learned so much from this book and it has been a great conversation pierce and thought provoking for my business
Jeromie Roberts
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

Before finishing, we put our years sales volume on a bar chart and plugged numbers into the 8020 curve online chart. They were so close,it is eerie.

Read the book, implement changes, grow.
Jerry Levin
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Valuable for everyone; a GOLD MINE for anyone in business

Loved the numerous examples and different ways to apply the basic principles. The online tools are great. Read it, think about it, re-read it. Take notes.
Matt Harding
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Matt by: John Sonmez
This book got me thinking about customers in new ways. I learned about it on the Entreprogrammers podcast -- and now I understand more of the background behind the business decisions of John, Josh, Derek, and Chuck.

Overall, I really liked this book, and will read it again.
Abhi Yerra
Dec 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Sort of a continuation of the 80/20 principle from Koch and how to use it in modern marketing and sales. Segmentation, have someone else do the 80 percent where you are not delivering value, learn to give up 80/20 at times or you will be seen as a grinch. All good advice
Chungsoon Haw
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book will most likely be on the top 10 most influential books for me for 2018. Although it talks about the sales and marketing aspect, my main take away is definitely more focused on how to leverage this concept for life and for business products. The opportunities are now endless!
Jesse Stoddard
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is rare that I say a book blows my mind. This one did. Conceptually it changes everything. What a fascinating way to combine a physical law or mathematical concept to an often confusing and mystical field like Marketing. I don’t think I’ll ever do anything or see anything the same again.
Juliano Silva
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Perry's book is really eye-opening for all things business and more. I really enjoyed his book and it really made me think a lot about my approach to everything. Although this book is focused on business, the 80/20 law can really be applied to anything in life. I highly recommend this book.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• DotCom Secrets: The Underground Playbook for Growing Your Company Online
  • Expert Secrets: The Underground Playbook for Finding Your Message, Building a Tribe, and Changing the World
  • Ca$hvertising: How to Use More Than 100 Secrets of Ad-Agency Psychology to Make BIG MONEY Selling Anything to Anyone
  • Ask: The Counterintuitive Online Formula to Discover Exactly What Your Customers Want to Buy...Create a Mass of Raving Fans...and Take Any Business to the Next Level
  • The Ultimate Sales Letter: Attract New Customers. Boost Your Sales
  • Scientific Advertising
  • Traffic Secrets: The Underground Playbook for Filling Your Websites and Funnels with Your Dream Customers
  • Launch: An Internet Millionaire's Secret Formula to Sell Almost Anything Online, Build a Business You Love, and Live the Life of Your Dreams
  • The Boron Letters
  • Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook: How to Tell Your Story in a Noisy Social World
  • Fanatical Prospecting: The Ultimate Guide to Opening Sales Conversations and Filling the Pipeline by Leveraging Social Selling, Telephone, Email, Text, and Cold Calling
  • The 4 Disciplines of Execution: Achieving Your Wildly Important Goals
  • The 10x Rule: The Only Difference Between Success and Failure
  • The Psychology of Money
  • Sell or Be Sold: How to Get Your Way in Business and in Life
  • The 80/20 Principle: The Secret to Achieving More with Less
  • Building a StoryBrand: Clarify Your Message So Customers Will Listen
  • Unscripted: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Entrepreneurship
Perry Marshall is endorsed in FORBES and INC Magazine and is one of the most expensive business consultants in the world. Clients in 300 industries value his capacity to integrate sales, technology, art and psychology.

He founded the $10 million Evolution 2.0 Prize, staffed by judges from Harvard, Oxford and MIT. He aims to solve the #1 mystery in Artificial Intelligence and the origin of life itse