Start by marking “Walking the Dog” as Want to Read:
Walking the Dog

Walking the Dog

Jared feels like he's the only one who looks past Sophie's scars to see her for who she is. But can he be a true friend when she desperately needs one?

Jared is smitten when his teacher seats the new girl, Sophie, right next to him. Even with the scar running up the side of her face, Jared thinks she’s the most beautiful girl in the entire fifth grade. But why did she trans
Paperback, Limited Edition - Promotional Print Version, 132 pages
Published December 31st 2012 by Musa Publishing - Euterpe (first published September 21st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Walking the Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walking the Dog

Kaitlin Bevis
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Walking the Dog, by Linda Benson captured my attention this morning and kept me reading until I finished the last page. I finished it in one sitting, which is no easy feat when you have a three year old wanting crazy things, like breakfast.

Walking the Dog is intended for a middle grade audience, though I think the story could be enjoyed by a much older audience. Jared Westen is an average sixth grade boy who struggles in math and is really annoyed by his little brother (I was with him there). Ev
June Kramin
Oct 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Linda's "The Girl Who Remembered Horses", so I was anxious to dig into this one. It held my attention so well, I had to read it straight through. It was such a touching story of one boy's determination to help a friend. As with The Girl Who Remembered Horses, animals were perfectly placed into the story. It's a wonderful read for anyone, YA or adult, animal lover or not, looking for a "feel good" read. Hat's off, Linda...except now you make me want to help at the local shelter. LOL.
Sharrice
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
See original review on Reese's Reviews

I received a copy of Walking the Dog for an honest review.

Jared is the only person at school who likes Sophie the only one who can see past her tragic past and scars. Jared used to have ordinary problems like math and annoying whiny brothers, but when Sophie transferred to the school so late in the year and goes and sees the counselor often Jared knows things are going to be different. When the school gets a new puppy and Jared is chosen to walk the dog wit
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://aurorareviews.blogspot.com/201...

Sometimes the past cannot stay buried.

It can difficult to know how to broach the topic of child abuse with elementary school aged students. Too much information can be unnecessarily frightening for those who don’t have personal experience with it as well as potentially triggering for those have been the victims of it. As Jared slowly learns what happened to Sophie I held my breath. Would Ms. Benson include so many details of the abuse
Cordelia Dinsmore
I'm finishing up my list of dog-centered books, and it's been a very entertaining trip. The timing is working out well, too, because at this moment my son is watching an old Elvis movie in which the King is piloting a helicopter over the Hawaiian Islands. His chopper is currently filled with a charter of dogs, and his only human passenger just spilled an entire box of doggie treats in the floor. Chaos is ensuing, but I digress.

My final read in the dog-lovers genre is Linda Benson's YA/MG novel,
Sharon Ledwith
Apr 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you're an animal lover, this wonderful tale about friendship, family, and giving back is for you! Benson uses her love of animals to bring a fresh voice to Jared and Sophie, two middle grade kids who bond over walking their teacher's dog. Volunteering at the animal shelter brings these kids together, but something in Sophie's past tears them apart.

Being a former employee at an animal shelter myself, I was impressed by the author's knowledge and sensitivity on the inner workings of a shelter.
Karen Kennedy
Oct 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This charming book is an excellent genre crossover, whether you're a young adult, or an older one. The story of Jared's defense of Sophie, and their unshakable bond, was touching, especially expressed from Jared's point of view. "Walking the Dog" wasn't just a fascinating study on how adult issues can affect children in isolating them from typical childhood joys, but also how Jared's staunch trust in their friendship allowed him to become Sophie's advocate, when speaking out wasn't the easiest c ...more
Katie Fitzgerald
Walking the Dog is a story of friendship between Sophie, the new girl in class with a history of abuse, and Jared, whose parents have forbidden him to spend time with Sophie because of her premature knowledge of sexuality. The two bond over their love for a new puppy who belongs to the school therapist, and their friendship later blossoms when they volunteer together at an animal shelter. Jared isn’t forthcoming with his parents, however, and he finds himself telling more and more lies and riski ...more
Mrs Rabbit
Walking the Dog is the story of a growing friendship between Jared and Sophie, cemented by their fondness of an unruly, boisterous Labrador puppy. Sophie is the new girl at school, and rumours about her past are whispered through the school and community by students, teachers, and parents. Jared is unconcerned about the rumours, and sees Sophie for who she really is; a girl with a lovely smile and an affinity for animals.

Ms Benson weaves a beautiful story using real people, believable situation
Linda Ulleseit
This is another tender, heartwarming tale from Linda Benson. I could have used more from Fuzzy and Lester (the labradors) but then, I am a Lab owner, too! The characters are wonderfully drawn: a curious boy half in love with a new girl who has a mysterious troubled past. I love how open he is to understanding her, more so than the adults. A wonderful, quick read.
Erinn Scheneider
May 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Not very grabbing. Some good parts but not many. Gets boring fast.
Emi
May 13, 2013
Debi
Mar 22, 2014
Linda
Aug 15, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dogs
Shelley
Miranda
L.B. Shire
Jan 08, 2013
Linda Benson is the author of THE GIRL WHO REMEMBERED HORSES, SIX DEGREES OF LOST, WALKING THE DOG, FINDING CHANCE and THE HORSE JAR (which has been translated into Spanish.)

She is also the author of a series of short fiction called CAT TALES, including THE WINTER KITTEN, THE SPRINGTIME CAT, THE SUMMER CAT, THE AUTUMN KITTEN, THE NEWLYWED CAT, THE ACCIDENTAL KITTEN and THE GRANDFATHER CAT.

Her pass