Start by marking “The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1)

The Darkest Minds

(The Darkest Minds #1)

4.20  ·  Rating details ·  131,952 ratings  ·  15,782 reviews
When Ruby woke up on her tenth birthday, something about her had changed. Something alarming enough to make her parents lock her in the garage and call the police. Something that gets her sent to Thurmond, a brutal government “rehabilitation camp.” She might have survived the mysterious disease that’s killed most of America’s children, but she and the others have emerged w ...more
Published December 18th 2012 by Hyperion

·  131,952 ratings  ·  15,782 reviews

Start your review of The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1)
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Oct 19, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies by: Mai is a Happy Bibliophile
If The Hunger Games brought back my faith in YA dystopia, Darkest Minds made me an atheist. This book has a plot filled with more holes than a Dunkin Donuts. It is mind-boggling to me that the rating in this series is as high as Hunger Games when the supporting characters in this book are are without personality nor complexity, combined with a weak-ass, whiny wimp of a main character, not to mention the majority of a book is a pointless snoozefest of a roadtrip.

Let's for 1 minute talk about The Hunger Games. The world is well-d
Sarah Maas
Feb 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
THE DARKEST MINDS is one of the best books I have EVER read. No joke. I can't even properly express how much I love this book. It touched my soul--it's THAT incredible. It haunted me for days and days (and still does!). The world-building and plot are phenomenal (it leaves you absolutely breathless in spots!), and the characters are some of the most vivid I've encountered.

When 2012 rolls around, DO NOT miss this book--it will stay with you long, long after you've finished reading it.
Emily May
“They were never scared of the kids who might die, or the empty spaces they would leave behind. They were afraid of us-the ones who lived.”

Ever since The Darkest Minds was released at the height of the dystopian craze in 2012, I think I've been subconsciously saving it to enjoy at a later date when the hype died down and I was no longer sick of reading YA dystopias. With an average rating of over 4.3, I was sure that I would enjoy it when I eventually gave in. But now, to be honest, I am clueless to where
Emma Giordano
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
WOW this book REALLY holds up over the years! I'm SO pleased I decided to reread this series :)
Nick
“Sorry about that. Hey—I don’t think we’ve had the chance to meet. I’m Liam.”
Kaylee Magic
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
OH. MY. GOD. Ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod!!

This book was so damn beautiful, so damn heartbreaking, and so damn freaking AMAZING! I think it's one of the most in-depth books I've read since The Hunger Games -- and I mean that with my heart and soul. It's not just another fluffy mock-intense book; it's not just another dystopian knock-off that I could never see happening in real life; it's not another sweet romance without anything else of substance that makes for a good time passer but doesn
Christine Riccio
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
MUST READ. FANTABULOUS BOOK. I just posted my booktalk ( http://youtu.be/90NS3uB8LxI ) which includes Review / Reaction / and Discussion on all the feelings it created.
SerenaSmiles
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I hereby sentence EVERYONE to read this NOW.
Mitch
Dec 26, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: no-just-no
On the surface, The Darkest Minds has a lot more going for it than your typical dystopian. It's incredibly dark and disturbing, but more than that, there's a certain realism to Alexandra Bracken's writing that makes the plot believable in a way few other books in the genre are. Yeah I'm frustrated, but not because this book is a generic dystopian - it's not, not because the plot calls for kids being rounded up in concentration camps and shot in the back - though that happens, but because I feel like ...more
Alexandra Bracken
Feb 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
ETA--For those confused about the title change: http://www.alexandrabracken.com/?p=1121

Well, I like it a whole lot! Can't wait to hear what you guys think!
Raeleen Lemay
OH MY GOD THIS BOOK WAS SO BORING.

I also felt like the world and all of the powers weren't explained very well, and you're constantly in the dark! It's ok to leave some things unanswered until later, but basic things should be explained early on, and I didn't feel like they were in this book.

Highly disappointing.
♥ Becky  22
Everybody, everybody should go read this book. Like right now.
The Darkest Minds is amazing. This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. 100% recommended.

[image error]

1) The writing = perfection.
I felt like I was there. I could hear the music when Ruby and Liam were dancing by the fire. I felt the cold from the AC in the hotel room. I honestly felt like I was there. And the writing is beautiful. And also funny.

"Use the damn map," Chubs groused behind him.
"I can figure it out without it," Liam insisted
error]

lolo'
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I JUST LOVE THIS BOOK SO MUCH. MY HEART ACHESSSSSS FOR LIAM I NEED HIM IN MY LIFE.

Thank youuuu literary gods for making me love this book.

I LOVE IT.

Passenger is nooooooothing compared to this.

I love everything about it.

The writing I love it.

The powers are so awesome.

The characters AHHHHH.

Liam my sweet cinnamon roll I love you forever and always.

CHUBS IS MY FAVORITE AND IS MY NEW FICTIONAL BESTFRIEND!!
Montzalee Wittmann
The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds #1) by Alexandra Bracken is one creepy, but good book! Something happened to the kids when mistake happened. The white noise buffer they always hear stopped. A strange loud noise pierced the air and the ears of the kids. Many kids died right away, others slowly, and others changed. Some slowly, others quickly. The government took all the kids to a brutal camp. One of the camp "doctors" save her and got her out of the camp, but she knows this doctor is going t ...more
Lauren
"That girl was gone forever, and all that was left was a product of the place that had taught her to fear the bright things inside of her heart."

For once I understand why a book has so much hype. So many books are overrated and others are so underrated. The Darkest Minds deserves the 4.28 average stars it has. It deserves much more than that. This book destroyed me and if I wasn’t in public when I was reading the ending I probably would have done more than tear up. I would have starting crying even t
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
I really enjoyed this book! It didn't necessarily blow me away, but it definitely held my attention.
Angela
Jun 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-favorites
LOVED THIS BOOK... A LOVE CHILD OF SHATTER ME AND XMEN!!! COULDNT GET ENOUGH

MOVIE PLEASE

UPDATE AFTER MY RE READ
I’m going to leave my original review and rating.
I originally read this book the first time in 2012. So at that time this was all so new to me that it was definitely a five star read. Now all these years and books later my opinion has kind of changed. I would say now I would give this book a 3.5.

Ruby annoyed me a lot more then I remembered. Liam and chubs are still perfect.

Mo
Sana
I have finally finished this almost 500 page boring crap, thanks to my cousin.

description

Expectations, expectations, I should seriously start lowering them. I went into this book expecting some badass, kickass action scenes with a strong heroine, but what I got was a boring ass long as fuck road trip story with some dun dun dun.

When I think Dystopian, this is what comes to my mind:
•Evil government
•Some sort of plague/disease
•Group of teens that must take down the government
•SOME ACTION
•Butt kicking female characters
•Some good romance

So I was expecting this book to be like extremely fucking epic, but i
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
I need 5 years to process this bye
♥ℂĦℝΪՖƬΪℕÅ
3 One of Us ★'s

Buddy read with Nancy
This was my very first Alexandra Bracken book and I gotta say I didn't love it but I didn't necessarily hate it either. The writing could have been a lot better, I seemed like some of the sentences were unfinished as well. I kept waiting and waiting for more details that never came. I love the idea and premise of the world and the characters she has created, it just needs more work.
The characters were pretty great and
Regan
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely fantastic, it feels like its been a long time since I've read a book so good. The characters had depth, the story was engrossing and action packed, I honestly could not put this book down. Easily in my top for this year ALREADY.

Anja H.
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
*5 DARKEST STARS*

Sobbing.
That's all I can do right now. That ending was so heartbreaking I can't even get my thoughts straight. I'm still wondering why it took me so long to decide to read this absolute gem of a book. I would give this evey star in the galaxy if I could!

I'm really sad I still haven't been able to get my hands on the sequel, since I really NEED to read how this continues asap!
Full review coming soon!
✨    jamieson   ✨
“The Darkest Minds tend to hide behind the most unlikely faces.”

here I was thinking 2013 culture was dead and buried, but the darkest minds says hello i guess

oh my god ?? I enjoyed this SO MUCH MORE than I thought I would. I mean I just think 2012 and 2013 was a dark time for YA lit and I barely like any series written around then jfdhgkjf but i had so much fun with this, honestly if the beginning was a bit better I probably would have given this a five star?? like it really was entertainin/>oh
ambsreads
4.5

I can't even write a proper review for this book, oh my lord. I loved it. I loved Ruby, Liam, Chubs, Zu and Betty so much omg. I'm totally having grabby hands over the next book and all you need to know is I loved this book and I'm so happy it met every expectation I had.
Nenia ☠️ Hecka Wicked ☠️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

This book is called THE DARKEST MINDS but it could just as well be called THE X-HUNGERVERGENT GAMES, seeing as how it's a snapshot of everything that was trending in 2012. Set in the ambiguous "near-future," an idiopathic degenerative virus (idiopathic being medical jargon for "fuck if I know") has killed most of the United States' children. The ones who survive get neat, psychic powers. Rather than doing anything useful with these powers - which come in five forms: telekinesis, su
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
UPDATE: 99 cents on Kindle US 5/19/19

www.melissa413readsalot.blogspot.com

I loved this book. I felt sorry for these kids that had to go through this stuff. Most often, at the age of 10, all of the children would develop abilities and the majority of their parents would send them off to camps. Instead of helping the children manage these abilities, the camp either kept them around forever, or they killed certain ones.

At these camps the children were la
Zoë
Aug 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book!
I love stories about people with special powers so this book was perfect. I had a few problems with this book, some due to the fact that I had to read it really slowly since I had limited free time this month. I didn't really enjoy any of the romance in this book which is upsetting for someone who loves romance and I didn't get very attached to any of the characters.
Lara (Bookish_turtle)
This book is so so so gooooooooooooood!! Drop everything and go read it!

LIST OF LOVES:
~Liam is the greatest cinnamon roll sweetheart cheeseball to ever walk the earth... Just sayin'.
~Zu is the most adorable, precious, and underestimated thing ever!
~Chubs broke my heart like 17 times
~Ruby (MC) was pretty awesome
~Also, the protagonist wasn't whiny. THIS IS SUCH A RARE TRAIT THANK YOU RUBY!!!
~Attention was grabbed right from the beginning
~But seriously guys, L/>LIST
Kai
Apr 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
“The Darkest Minds tend to hide behind the most unlikely faces.”

I expected something better than this. The Goodreads rating is incredibly high, so I was excited to finally be able to read it. But it was a let-down: I found the Darkest Minds to be nothing special and even a little boring. For me, this is just another average dystopian novel. The main character was plain, the big plot twist very obvious. And it took so long until Ruby, Chub, Zu and Liam finally arrived at camp.
Don't get me wrong,the
Kogiopsis
Edit: Re-read in May 2014, but leaving original review standing because it still expresses my feelings perfectly.
Edit x2, January 2016: Having read some negative reviews, I'm thinking I might need to reread again and re-write this - not because I have doubts, but because I'm a little pissed off at the way people react to a traumatized teen by calling her whiny. I've had friends say it, I've seen reviews complaining about it, and it infuriates me. Come at me, bros; I'll fight you for Ruby Daly'

• Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)
  • Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • Ignite Me (Shatter Me, #3)
  • Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)
  • The Young Elites (The Young Elites, #1)
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • Legend (Legend, #1)
  • An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1)
  • Archenemies (Renegades, #2)
  • Scythe (Arc of a Scythe, #1)
  • Prodigy (Legend, #2)
  • Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2)
  • Kingdom of Ash (Throne of Glass, #7)
  • Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1)
  • Ruin and Rising (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #3)
  • Wildcard (Warcross, #2)
Hi! I'm Alex and I write books. Please note that I don't respond to messages here on GoodReads. Please send me a note on twitter (@alexbracken) on on Tumblr (alexandrabracken.tumblr.com). xx A

The Darkest Minds (4 books)
  • Never Fade (The Darkest Minds, #2)
  • In The Afterlight (The Darkest Minds, #3)
  • The Darkest Legacy (The Darkest Minds, #4)
“The Darkest Minds tend to hide behind the most unlikely faces.” 1707 likes