Start by marking “Downside Up” as Want to Read:
Downside Up

Downside Up

Ronnie is totally bored. She lives in a crap, boring town with her crap, boring family, and all she wants is to escape and have the kind of life she reads about in magazines. Sometimes Ronnie makes stuff up, just to keep things interesting. Not lies, exactly, more like massive, outrageous, whopping great fibs. The thing is, people have stopped believing anything she says - ...more
Published July 4th 2013 by Macmillan Children's Books (first published July 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Downside Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Downside Up

Brooke Walker
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
I decided to read the book "Downside Up" because my mum got it for me from the library. It's about a girl called Ronnie who is bored of her life so she creates a fake reality in her head about glamorous singer "Ronnie Runaway" and ends up being transported into her world - or so she thinks.

This book fits into the category, "A novel written by a New Zealander" because Hayley was born here (but moved away.) I enjoyed the book but I don't really read many from New Zealanders, so this was a first.

M
Luna
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uk-authors
Firstly – So much fun!
Downside Up is the first book by Hayley Long I’ve read but it won’t be the last.

Ronnie is not happy, her father abandoned his family for someone else and hasn’t been heard from. Since then Ronnie has stopped caring. She struggles out of bed in the morning and when she does get to school she gets into trouble. Life in her imagination is just so much better so Ronnie retreats there.

I couldn’t put this book down until I’d finished it. Ronnie is one of those characters you can’
Jenni
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was ok
This was just another, typical girly-girl read with only the problems that the author thinks that tens go through. It's one of those books that if an adult ever picked it up, they would think that all young adult or teen readers are flimsy creatures with no sense of reality.
Another major thing that annoyed me with this book, as my book is a paperback, you had to turn it around twice and I couldn't find the right page it told me to go to. This unfortunately ended up with me reading the parts I wa
Anika
I am a huge fan of Hayley Long and her lottie Biggs Series ,I would almost read anything by her anyday.I was extremely excited about this novel because Hayley has the most quirky and whimiscal homour in the whole world.But,somehow this one didn't really click to me like rest of her work.

I loved Ronnie, her brain is pretty messed up place plus,she made me edgy as an eggshell.The best part of the stories by hayley is awesometastic and hilarious diagrams and nutsy text themes they have to offer,w
Alex
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book was good, and confusing at times. I suppose that's purposeful but honestly at times I had no idea what was going on. I think there are some deep meanings within this book, but they are skipped over with distractions like cute Russian boys or bumper cars or family troubles. The messages are good but very small in a large see of useless plot. But I might be being harsh. It was better than I thought it would be.
Booklover6
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
4 stars instead of 5, only because the character was a bit young for me (I like reading about teens my age or older for some reason!). But I loved the layout of the book, how you had to turn it different ways etc!
Chloe Bird
Well where do I start with this book??? It was definitely a different read to what I usually read. Not that that was a bad thing! Basically I won't tell you why it was interesting to read just be ready to read in all directions - that's all I say!

Kirsty
Feb 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uk-author, ukya
Such a fun read. I really enjoyed and devoured it in one sitting. Ronnie is such a fun character and I love how the text size is used to put across her emotions as the story plays out. Fab stuff
Georgia (The Bibliomaniac Book Blog)
3.5 light, funny read. The reading experience was pretty hilarious. Got some funny looks reading this upside down on the way to school :P
Thelilyfy
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Hayley Long is an author to watch out for. Love her books :)
Rachael
I was put off by the unusual way it was printed. But, once I relaxed, I found it was a bit fun.
Cute story, nice message.
Renee
Poppy Yowls
rated it did not like it
Aug 03, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Hayley Long is the author of several award-winning books for teenagers, including What’s Up with Jody Barton? and the Lottie Biggs books. She also works as an English teacher. Hayley Long lives in England.
“We can't calm waves, but we can steer the ship.” 4 likes