Start by marking “Saints (Boxers & Saints, #2)” as Want to Read:
Saints (Boxers & Saints, #2)

Saints (Boxers & Saints #2)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  10,448 Ratings  ·  1,141 Reviews
China, 1898. An unwanted and unwelcome fourth daughter, Four-Girl isn't even given a proper name by her family when she's born. She finds friendship--and a name, Vibiana--in the most unlikely of places: Christianity.

But China is a dangerous place for Christians. The Boxer Rebellion is in full swing, and bands of young men roam the countryside, murdering Westerners and Chi
Published September 10th 2013 by First Second

Raeleen Lemay
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphicomanga
I wish this one had been a bit longer, but overall I still really enjoyed it! A great ending to a great duology.
Natalie
Jan 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was more than excited to start this companion graphic novel, which is told from an alternative perspective than the one in Boxers. And for the most part, it did not disappoint.

description
Jan Philipzig
While companion volume Boxers tells the story of the Boxer Rebellion in China from a rebel's point of view, Saints chooses the perspective of Four-Girl (alias Vibiana), a Chinese girl who converts to Christianity and thus comes to be cast as a "secondary devil" by the rebels. The result is a less action-packed and patriotic, more character-driven and tragic narrative.

What I love most about this book is its protagonist, Four-Girl, whose independent, logic-defying way of thinking and sheer will po
First Second Books
Sep 19, 2013 marked it as first-second-publications
One of the things that makes both Boxers and Saints fascinating is how the author treats religion.

Boxers features a magical realistic element; the Chinese gods (who the characters know mainly through the opera) possess the Boxer rebels and help power their rebellion; when the rebels go to war, they feel that they are taken over by the gods and protected and driven by them. In the book, Gene draws the gods as they are taking over the Boxers and propelling them into battle. The pictures aren't jus
Jessica
Had to pick this up the minute I finished BOXERS, and couldn't put it down, either. This book is a glimpse into the Boxer Rebellion from the point of view of a young Christian girl, one of the ones called a Secondary Devil by the Boxers, since she follows the devil religion, but is Chinese. And, honestly, who can blame this child for going to the Christian faith? Her own family never gives her a name, because she is the unlucky fourth daughter, born on the fourth day of the month. Unwanted, unlo ...more
Lauren
I read Saints a few days after I read Boxers, the stories forming this intricate dovetail. Yang has told the simplified history of the Boxer Rebellion from two sides, two young people on either side of the conflict. It's a brilliant approach. I liked Four-Girl/Vibiana, and her telling of the events, as they weave with Little Bao's. I felt that Boxers was the stronger of the two stories - a little more background and heft - but I did enjoy this one too.

Longer spoken review of this book and the c
Morgan
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Even though this is a companion book to Boxers, make sure you read this one last. This is a lot shorter of a read, but Boxers gives you more meat to what is going on. I liked this book as well. I liked that we get a polar view to what was going on in the other book. The Boxers & Saints is a great historical fiction comic book, with a mix of mythology and magical realism.
Justin
Another qualified 3 stars since I don't think this work stands alone from Boxers. The end and especially the epilogue concern Boxers and recontextualize that book in retrospect. As far as reading order, I think that Boxers should be read first. Boxers sort of spoils Saints ending but Boxers itself is more interesting after reading Saints subsequently.

It is hard to separate Saints from Boxers, which I had finished just the day before, but I think Yang does a much better job with the internal conf
Andrew
This was a perfect piece of historical fiction (mixed with magical realism).
Cherrie
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ending surprised me -- made me think harder about the intersection of Chinese & Western culture, religion, colonization & the Opium War, Chinese liberation, and whether there really is a "right" and a "wrong". Also had to Google Boxer Rebellion bc I'm an idiot and can't remember Chinese history. And then I got to thinking of modern day underground house churches in China, and if Chinese people still hold the same "secondary devil" or traitor sentiment towards Chinese Christians.
Kristin Mcclanahan
Nov 07, 2016 rated it liked it
This book was good as well, but Boxers stands on its own, so I'm giving Saints 3.5 stars.
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
She is born the fourth girl in her Chinese family, and since her grandfather refuses to give her a name, she is called simply Four-Girl. When she is awkward or misbehaves, her family call her a devil, so Four-Girl goes to the foreign devils to find companionship and becomes a Christian.

As Four-Girl searches for her identity within Christian culture, she has visions of Joan of Arc, who appears to her to guide and encourage her in the faith. Four-Girl knows that she must find a calling, and learn
Kendal
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Boxers & Saints is an incredibly powerful piece of historical fiction told in the format of a graphic novel. The illustrations are potent and the story is heartbreaking. There are no winners; only losers. It is a story of revenge and intolerance. Gene Luen Yang has written an amazing novel that you will not forget.

The images in both books tell a very strong story. At times, it is very graphic where I suck in my breath as I see the next image. Yang depicted all the intolerance of the Boxer Re
David Schaafsma
I think Boxers is the book I wassupposed to read first, and my skimming of reviews says they liked that one better, but I loved this one, nevertheless. It's the story of Four-Girl, a girl who grows up in an abusive family that doesn't even NAME her, a girl who becomes a Christian against her family wishes during the Boxer Rebellion in 1898...She has visions of Joan of Arc, who becomes her guide through the process of deciding she wants to be a warrior in the fight... And of course encounters som ...more
Nabila Tabassum Chowdhury
আমার ধারণা, বকসার রেবেলিয়নকে আরও একটি দৃষটিকোণ থেকে দেখানোর চেষটা করার জনয এই সিরিজের পরবরতী ভলিউমটি করা। কিনতু শেষ পরযনত সে কাজটিই কম হয়েছে এবং মূলত এটা ভিভিয়ানার গলপই হয়ে উঠেছে। বকসাররা ঘৃণা করতো 'ফরেন ডেভিল'দের মানে বিদেশী পরভাববিসতারকারী খরিষটানদের যারা তাদের সমাজ, সংসকৃতি এবং ধরমের উপর হুমকি পরিণত হয়েছিল এবং 'সেকেনডারি ডেভিল'দের মানে সথানীয় যেসব লোকেরা খরিষট ধরম গরহণ করেছিল এবং বিদেশীদের সহায়তা করেছিল। ভিভিয়ানার খরিষট ধরম গরহণ এবং মিশনারি সমাজের অভিজঞতা নিয়ে বইটি করা হয়েছে। বকসারের সাথে পযা ...more
Mick
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I preferred this side of the story to the Boxers portion. Showing the common humanity on both sides of a conflict is a pretty rad approach.
Say
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: july-2015-reads
Not really necessary, but it depicts how Christianity affected the Chinese people especially Four Girl (Vibiana). Glad I read this duology. =)
Dan

Reading and teaching abroad changed me.

Books opened doors to me that I never imagined in the years of my youth. Reading about the world made me want to journey out and know it. Having spent my first four years of teaching in Japan, I came to realize that things were not always as they seemed. Behind most of the confusion that came with living in a new place were stories that shed light where I originally could not see. What’s more, I came to realize that cultural understanding takes time and a
Boxers and Saints are hard to review for me. In some ways, Gene Luen Yang's art and dialog seems so boiled down that I felt that some of the nuances of an incredibly culturally, religiously, and historically important series of events might be lost, but somehow it wasn't. It was so refreshing for me to read Boxers and Saints, because unlike many creators several comic books and graphic novels that have been released recently with the growing popularity and acceptance of these media as legitimate ...more
Victor
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
A tragic graphic-novel account of the Boxer Rebellion. This volume is from the perspective of the Chinese Christians, specifically Four-Girl, a Chinese child left unnamed by her family and eventually baptized Vibiana by the Catholic missionaries. The girl has visions of Joan of Arc, which GLY weaves throughout the Boxer storyline.

One creative device that Yang employs is to take dialogue that would have been spoken in languages other than Chinese (by Joan of Arc or the missionaries) and render it
Get X Serious
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not quite a sequel, more of a companion to Boxers.

In Boxers, our protagonist assumes the form of and converses with the first emperor of China, often looking to him for guidance in his actions. In similar fashion, our "hero" in Saints is a girl who sees visions of Joan of Arc, another cultural icon, albeit from a very different culture. The two characters act on different sides of the same story, but their respective cultural "delusions" represent two separate ideologies that are distinct, and y
Carmel
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow!! Just, WOW!
I'm not sure why these two books are two books but I am so glad they exist! What a veritable treasure for the cannons of historical fiction. What a gem for any scholar of any age to have access to such a document of Chinese history and Christian missionary history... And perspective from both sides, no less.
I think "Saints" was still a bit heavy handed in judgement of the missionaries/Christians and while I don't disagree, it's hard to see the "take from two sides" as it seems
Raina
May 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Maybe I'm misinterpreting the intent of this book. Considering how much attention and promotion it's received (much of which I've read), that seems odd. I've read most (maybe all) of Yang's published work, and seen him speak. I dig him, as a creator of stories.
But I get the impression that a duo-work like this (and Boxers) was created to portray both sides of the story. The story of the Boxer rebellion. And it kinda does.
But why does Boxers get to be almost double the length of Saints?
I left the
Steph Sinclair
Saints is the companion novel to Boxers and slightly shorter. It tells the story from a young Chinese girl who converts to Christianity during the Rebellion. It was interesting to see the same events that played out in Boxers seen from the other side, but all in all, I don’t think this was as strong as Boxers was. I will say, though, that while you could probably read either first, I’d go with this one last since it does give the final piece to both books’ endings.
Macarena Yannelli
Actualización por re lectura Agosto 2015: al igual que la primera vez que lo leí, fue una linda historia, pero no me llama tanto la atención el punto de vista católicos como el Bóxer.
Primera lectura Agosto 2014: El punto de vista Boxer me llamo más que el punto de vista cristiano pero fue una linda lectura.
Sylvester
Jun 07, 2016 rated it liked it
The other side of the Boxer Rebellion Story. As I mentioned in the "Boxers" review, Yang uses cultural characters to show the inner life of the characters and their struggle with belief - in this case Vibiana relates to the story of Joan of Arc. I don't know that this was as believable as the opera gods were in "Boxers". Lovely artwork, clear story-telling, an interesting read.
Sorento62
I don't usually read graphic novels, so this was a new experience. It gave me the feeling of being both intrigued and bewildered. It is both serious and funny.
I read Boxers first, but I like Saints better. It's best to read them as a pair.
James Eckman
Mar 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Another view of the Boxer Rebellion told by a young girl who is a bit touched in the head. Very weird.
Maryam AlNasser
Jan 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: on-my-bookshelf, 2016
this was kinda terrifying and i didn't really understand it.

after reading boxers, this makes more sense.
Rain Misoa
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Yang fans and people who can deal with depressing themes.
Recommended to Rain by: Library
A well-told conclusion to this duology.

To read my full review, click here.
(Spoilers) Boxers & Saints: which did you like more? 1 5 Feb 26, 2016 03:29PM
  • War Brothers: The Graphic Novel
  • Dogs of War
  • The Silence of Our Friends
  • The Adventures of Superhero Girl
  • A Game for Swallows: To Die, to Leave, to Return
  • Will & Whit
  • Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant (Delilah Dirk, #1)
  • Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong
  • Hidden: A Child's Story of the Holocaust
  • March: Book One (March, #1)
  • Drowned City: Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans
  • Gaijin: American Prisoner of War
  • Bluffton: My Summers with Buster Keaton
  • Treaties, Trenches, Mud, and Blood (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #4)
  • Templar
  • Primates: The Fearless Science of Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey, and Biruté Galdikas
  • Curses! Foiled Again (Foiled, #2)
  • The War within These Walls
Gene Yang began drawing comic books in the fifth grade. In 1997, he received the Xeric Grant, a prestigious comics industry grant, for Gordon Yamamoto and the King of the Geeks, his first comics work as an adult. He has since written and drawn a number of titles, including Duncan's Kingdom (with art by Derek Kirk Kim) and The Rosary Comic Book. American Born Chinese received National Book Award.

He
More about Gene Luen Yang...

Boxers & Saints (2 books)
  • Boxers (Boxers & Saints, #1)