Start by marking “End Dayz (The Hitchhiker Strain, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
End Dayz (The Hitchhiker Strain, #0.5)

End Dayz

(The Hitchhiker Strain #0.5)

It's month after the dead first began to walk. The miracle vaccine that was supposed to save us all has failed.

Now, four teens fight to stay alive as a stronger, smarter breed of zombie begins to appear, threatening to end humanity for good.

Four short stories, 11,000 words total.

Prequel to Mortality (March, 2013).
Published January 5th 2013 by Patchwork Press (first published January 4th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about End Dayz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about End Dayz

Start your review of End Dayz (The Hitchhiker Strain, #0.5)
Angela
Jul 04, 2013 rated it did not like it
DNF at 49%

Even I have to admit that this is well written, but it's all tell, tell, tell, tell. Letter after letter, diary entry after diary entry.

I do not care.

How can you make zombies boring? Give me a play by play of the boring crap in life afterwards. There's no sense of urgency, no worry from the characters, no action, nothing going on.

I started skimming at about 39% and gave up finally when I hit Alex's chapter and realized it was (surprise!) more of the same.
Ellis
Disclaimer: I received an arc through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Our first Christmas after the end of the world and I'm hanging out with a chicken.
I dunno, I'm actually kind of happy.
(ebook, 39%)

End Dayz is the prequel to Mortality. If you were wondering about the peculiar spelling, I assume it's because this is a series about zombies.

Twist: these are not just your everyday apocalyptic zombies. Well, there are the regular, in-need-of-brains zombies, but there is also another ty
AnHeC the Paperback Obliterator
Word count: (???) short (I don't trust my estimates)
Rating: “Not dying is a pretty epic feeling. “

Work on your zombie killing skills.

*ARC provided by NetGalley

It tickled my new found love of dystopia and curiosity about mechanics of stabbing people in the brain.

I don’t particularly love any of those four characters, but neither do I vehemently hate them. I think Zack's a wuss, the way he talks about ‘not wanting to shoot them’. If you see a zombie you kill it. Period. Next case. Next fuck
Trisha
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Even the walk there was miserable. I hate the cold, and I tripped over my third grade teacher on the way to the store. How ridiculous does that sound?"

I really liked this intro to a series. It was interesting, broken in to sections to learn about each area. The zombie apocalypse has happened and the world is trying to cope. The main characters are all in different areas trying to understand what has happened and just trying to live. It was interesting, the conversations felt real and I'm intrig
Ari
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Originally posted @ Black Lilies Are Deadly

End Dayz is a great prequel to Mortality. Through this short story, we get to know a little more about the guys, and girls, we will learn to love, and hate, in the first book.

If the main reason why you can’t wait to sink your teeth into this story is because you want to know more about Savannah, you will be disappointed. She is only mentioned in passing. On the other hand if you want to want to know more about Pierce, Belle, Alex, and Zack, you will be
Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)
Great little short story! This is the Prequel to "Mortality" a zombie apocalypse book. It kinda gives us the back story of what happened when the first and second wave hit United States. This short story it is divided up into 4 little stories about different people and their struggles through the zombie apocalypse. We get to see the back story off what's to come in "Mortality". I'm pretty sure that the 4 people we read about will be in "Mortality". We get to see how they cleared the zombies out ...more
Carmen Jenner
I really enjoyed this one! I know this merely started out as a character building exercise and Kellie Sheridan liked it enough to publish it as a prequel novella to the highly anticipated Mortality. I just wish there were more and I'm really hoping that we'll get to meet Alex again! I enjoyed his story best of all! If anything this has me jonesing to start Mortality straight away!
Real review to come soon!
Carrie Slager
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
[Full disclosure: I received a free ebook through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.]

After reading Kellie Sheridan’s first book in The Hitchhiker Strain and seeing that there was a prequel anthology to it, I just had to read it. After all, Mortality was pretty awesome and I was interested in learning about the characters lives during the apocalypse itself. But did End Dayz add to my overall enjoyment of Kellie Sheridan’s world?

Absolutely! Learning more about Pierce, Belle, Alex and Zack
Joann
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Cover:
This cover drew my attention the second I saw it, simply perfect for the theme of these stories. I see a post apocalyptic world in the background, and a person (maybe zombie) walking on this barren landscape. The best part is that you can't tell if the person on the cover is a good guy or one of the bad ones! The text font is perfect and the best part for me is that the authors name is actually smaller than the title, I hate when you can't tell the two apart.

First Thoughts:
My first zo
Robert Zimmermann
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It’s not hard to find a zombie book these days. They’re everywhere, and it’s not an easy task to find the right one. I feel that End Dayz was a great choice for me to grab, though. It turned out to be one of the more enjoyable reads in recent weeks.

What makes End Dayz stand out to me is was that it showed the reader the lives of four different youths as they were living through troubling times in the world. In addition to that, the events of this collection take place during a second wave of a z
Sandra "Jeanz"
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
MY REVIEW
I was accepted to receive an e-copy of this prequel novella from Netgalley.
This prequel takes the form of four mini novellas concentrating on four main characters. Pierre, a young man from the UK over in America checking out different universities/colleges such as Yale and Harvard.
Then there's Belle, the daughter of Mayor Paulson, protected from the awful incidents as much as possible by her father but it really hits home one day when one of her friends is literally orphaned by the inf
Kristin (Blood,Sweat and Books)
Review:

Normally I don't take the time to formally review short stories on the blog preferring short reviews on the site I purchased instead. However, since I planned on reading the main storyline I figured I'd break habit this time. End Dayz comes in at barely 30 pages but it was sooo good I didn't actually feel I was reading a short story. The story is broken up into 4 parts each following what I assume will be a main character in the first book Mortality.

I was hooked from the first page. The w
Wanda Hartzenberg
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
I am an avid fan of Zombie books. This one however I simply cannot recommend.

I have plenty of pet peeves and this novella covered most of them in one go. First of it is a very short novella that I received via Netgalley thinking I was signed up for a book not a short story.
Secondly the novella ends off as if this is a sample not a novella which is really disconcerting but for me was a also a bit of a positive.

This book is written from multiple pov of thus far, four characters. The head hoppin
Olivia (Bookcomet)
Jul 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: dys, netgalley, prequel
I really wish I had read End Dayz closer to finishing Mortality. I read Mortality a LONG time ago and really needed a bit of a memory jogger to have enjoyed this book more.

End Dayz is a prequel to Mortality. Each chapter is told from the point of view of a different character. There's Zack, Pierce, Alex and Belle. Each little story is told in letter form which was really interesting because it gave insight into what the characters were thinking.

I have to say, I probably enjoyed Pierce's section
Marjolein
Dec 13, 2014 rated it liked it

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

End dayz is the prequel to the Hitchhiker's Strain series that I recently read (reviews to come). In four very short stories the main characters are introduced in the early days of the zombie-apocalypse.

I read this one first (as it came first in the omnibus) so at first I didn't really understood what was going on, but after reading the other books I think it's a nice extra bit of this series. It definitely made me curious to r
chucklesthescot
Dec 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: zombies, fiction, horror
I did not enjoy the format of this book. It was just a pile of diary entries and letters one after the other in a long and boring narrative. Using this format allows the author to skip info dumps but it also limits them to all tell and no show. In a zombie novel, the most important thing is building up the tension as you wait for that zombie attack-well, writing it THIS way removes all of the drama from the story and leaves it somewhat dull. The constantly switching POV prevents the reader from ...more
Dani
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Following four of the characters from Mortality, End Dayz gives the reader a glimpse of what happened to Pierce, Belle, Alex and Zack directly following the second zombie outbreak. Just some really solid character development, as well as some important backstory that feeds right into where the story starts in Mortality.
melissa
Dec 26, 2015 rated it liked it
I wasn't a huge fan of the letter/diary format, but this is a great little teaser/back story intro to the Hitchhiker Strain series. It did it's job and I've picked up book 1 through NetGalley.

While this is or seems YA, there is one slight sexual assault scare (doesn't happen, but the recalling of it is a bit intense).
Kandes
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cute lil preview of the first book in the series
Cary Morton
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book directly from the author/publisher in exchange for an honest review. Review originally posted to Author Unpublished.

I’m not entirely sure how I feel about End Dayz by Kellie Sheridan. I came upon this book as part of a larger series on NetGalley—in fact, the Hitchhiker Strain series in its entirety. Going into it, all I knew was that it was a three-book set. It wasn’t until I started reading End Dayz that I discovered that it wasn’t so much the first book in the se
Kayla
Zombie novels are like crack to me. I just can't read enough of them. I can usually read them in one sitting because I get so emotionally involved, no matter what the length of the book is. When I found out that one of my favorite YA fantasy authors, Kellie Sheridan, wrote a zombie novel, I knew that I had to read it. Sadly, I was a little disappointed.

The book takes place through four different character points of view, which kind of reminded me of T.W. Brown's Dead series. I liked seeing how a
Roxanne
Sep 14, 2013 rated it liked it
I received this novella through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

When I started reading End Dayz, I had no idea what I was getting into. I think I probably read the synopsis when I downloaded it from Netgalley, but I'd promptly forgotten all about it until a few days ago. Sometimes it's better to go into a book with no expectations whatsoever, but I think in the case of End Dayz, I probably would have read it differently had I known first off that it's a novella, and second of all that
E. C. McRoy
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
First, I want to say that this is not a full fledge book in the strictest of senses. It's a short (like I read it in maybe an hour) collection of letters, diary entries, and mission reports of people after a second zombie outbreak sweeps the USA. Which is still awesome, I just want you to be prepared for what you're reading.

Second, the main reasons this did not get five stars is a) it was so very short and b) there were some pretty noticeable editing mistakes (but not to the point where I just c
Ashley Ferguson
Jun 30, 2013 rated it liked it
This review can also be found at The AP Book Club

I was really excited when I saw that there was a prequel short story collection for Sheridan's Hitchiker Strain series. The zombies were different and interesting, and I have been wanting to learn more about the world she created. I also absolutely love seeing things from minor characters perspectives, so this collection was absolutely fantastic for me.

There's a little bit of background that's hinted at in Mortality but never really explained tha
Alexia Purdy
This was a fascinating collection of short stories taking place in the post-apocalyptic world during, not the first, but the second wave of infection, where people turn into flesh eating zombies and transfer the bug by biting others. Told in letters and diary style by four different characters, I loved to read about these people’s thoughts during what I could imagine, is a horrifying time and place. I looked up the series and read that this is a prequel to the book ‘Mortality’ by Kellie Sheridan ...more
Chiara
Jun 27, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, e-arcs
ARC provided by Patchwork Press via Net Galley.
In this prequel to Kellie Sheridan's Mortality, readers gain an insight into how four characters of The Hitchhiker Strain world deal with the rise of the new breed of zombies.
I liked this prequel novella, and how each chapter focussed on a different character.
Chapter One was Pierce, in which he is writing letters to a girl named Beth. I don't remember her being mentioned in Mortality, so maybe we will find out more about this Beth character in Dual
Jazmen
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
*Copy provided by NetGalley for review*

Wow. Okay, so I don't really like zombie themed books because well, they give me the creeps. I know, I know it's not real but, the thought of the dead walking the earth, and eating people just does something to me, like scare me. Not this book. This was just a prequel but I'm already scrambling trying to think of how I can get my hands on next book, the real first book.

It was very well written, and very hard to put down. It's a good thing it was only around
Ruth Silver
End Dayz by Kellie Sheridan is a dystopian delight. Set in a post apocalyptic future, we follow four unique characters as their journey is recanted to us in the form of letters or journal entries. Kellie did a fantastic job allowing the reader to see into this unique world, while staying away from telling the audience everything. Not an easy thing to do when the story is written in the form of a letter, with little dialogue.

The story, End Dayz is a novella and is the prequel to Mortality that is
Michele at A Belle's Tales
End Dayz is an interesting look into the lives of the secondary characters in Mortality (book one of The Hitchhiker Strain series) just as everything starts going to hell. I enjoyed the four short stories written in letter and journal format from each character as they reached out to their loved ones amidst the chaos. While it was sad and their fear was evident, it was still nice to gain a few answers and learn what led the different groups to the setting they are in at the beginning of Mortalit ...more
Erin
Jul 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Mortality was an interesting piece, not perfect, but it left me with a positive impression and a definite interest in its author. Shortly after completing the book I discovered Kellie Sheridan had released a prequel of sorts and from that moment End Dayz nagged at me. I'm not a die hard zombie fan, far from it, but even I couldn't help wondering what this short had to offer.

In all honesty, this piece is best appreciated after reading Mortality, when you have an idea of who these characters are,

• Contaminated (Contaminated, #1)
  • Resurrection (Apocalypse Chronicles, #2)
  • Alive (Crave, #1)
  • After The Ending (The Ending, #1)
  • This Plague of Days, Episode 2
  • Primal Shift: Part 1
  • Override (Glitch, #2)
  • False Sight (False Memory, #2)
  • The Road to Hell is Paved With Zombies (Zombie Fighter Jango, #1)
  • Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1)
  • Breaking Point (Article 5, #2)
  • The System (Virulent, #2)
  • The Lives We Lost (Fallen World, #2)
  • Escape to the Last Bastion (The Last Bastion #0.5)
  • The Unblessed Dead (The Hidden Necromancer, #1)
  • The Butterfly Code (Girl on Fire, #1)
  • RecruitZ (Afterworld, #1)
  • Dead Chaos (Dead Chaos #1)
Kellie has been in love with stories in all of their forms for as long as she can remember. Admittedly, sometimes that means falling into places like Stars Hollow and Sunnydale, but books have always been her true love.

Kellie spent part of her twenties living in Galway, Ireland and swooning after various lilting accents but is now back home in Ontario, Canada.

The Hitchhiker Strain (2 books)
  • Mortality (The Hitchhiker Strain, #1)
  • Duality (The Hitchhiker Strain, #2)

News & Interviews